Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Monday, June 22

Now the Chrisptopher Lee tribute.

9:30 a.m.  Horror of Dracula (1958)  Everyone is hoping that this is the recently restored version.

4 p.m. and 6 p.m.  Two of my favourite Richard Lester films; The Three and Four Musketeers.

​10 p.m.  Too Much Too Soon.  Errol Flynn as John Barrymore!  Have to catch this one.

• Like 1

One more to add;

2:30--"Horror Express" (1972)--Lee, Peter Cushing, & a  possible "missing link" as the monster on a train crossing Russia.

Wed. night--movie "camp" till 4:00 a.m.

10:00 pm ET
B/W
121 min
TV-PG
drama

The daughter of an iconic actor reunites with her father after a ten year estrangement.

DirArt Napoleon CastDorothy Malone , Errol Flynn , Efrem Zimbalist Jr. .

"The New York Times felt that Too Much, Too Soon and Malone were "not bad--just ineffectual. [...] Mr. Flynn, as the late John Barrymore, a moody, wild-drinking ruin of a great actor, steals the picture, lock, stock and keg. It is only in the scenes of his savage disintegration, as the horrified girl hangs on, that the picture approaches real tragedy."

too%20much%20too%20soon1.jpg

Tuesday, June 23

Something for everyone here.  Lots of Montgomery Clift during the day.

4:45  Indiscretion of an American Wife (1954)  I doubt very much that this is going to be this year’s restoration of the De Sica film.  It looks to have a maximum running time of 75 minutes.

It is playing as Terminal Station at the Toronto Cinematheque in August at 82 minutes with ‘missing footage and original title restored.’

8 p.m.  Dames (1934)  With Dick Powell and Joan Blondell.  Neve seen this one.

9:45 p.m.  The Last of Sheila (1973)  Lots of people like this film, myself included.  Anthony Perkins co-scripted with Stephen Sondheim.  And it’s got Raquel Welch in it!

1:45 a.m.  O Lucky Man (1973)  by Lindsay Anderson with great Alan Price songs.

• Like 1

8 p.m.  Dames (1934)  With Dick Powell and Joan Blondell.  Neve seen this one.

You mean you've never seen Joan Blondell sing "The Girl at the Ironing Board?"

dames-blondell.png

• Like 2

Tomorrow I have two down to definitely see   

3:00--" I Confess" (1953)--directed by Alfred Hitchcock, in B&W, starring Montgomery Clift.  Gorgeous, moody cinematography, dark themes.

8:00--"Dames" (1934)--Busby Berkeley choreographed Warner Bros. musical--"I Only Have Eyes for You" & title tune are standouts.

:)

Edit: Bogey56 finished typing before me.  I'll take his recommendation.

• Like 1

Wednesday, June 24

These are the pin up girls that I remember from my youth: Raquel Welch, Ursula Andress, Jane Fonda and a bit later on, Bo Derek too.

10 (1979) is genuinely funny thanks to Dudley Moore but the rest are just trashy guilty pleasures.

• Like 1

For fans of the silly: the one must-see is "She" (1965)--I saw the 1935 version with Helen Gahagan on an old VHS tape.  It was a howlingly funny Non-PC adventure played deadly straight by the actors--if the 1965 version is half as funny, it will be worth watching.

Rest of Wed. nights lineup is "camp" of varying quality, until 4:00 a.m., when "10" comes on.

Tuesday, June 23

4:45  Indiscretion of an American Wife (1954)  I doubt very much that this is going to be this year’s restoration of the De Sica film.  It looks to have a maximum running time of 75 minutes.

It is playing as Terminal Station at the Toronto Cinematheque in August at 82 minutes with ‘missing footage and original title restored.’

You were right.

The restored version did not air.

For fans of the silly: the one must-see is "She" (1965)--I saw the 1935 version with Helen Gahagan on an old VHS tape.  It was a howlingly funny Non-PC adventure played deadly straight by the actors--if the 1965 version is half as funny, it will be worth watching.

Rest of Wed. nights lineup is "camp" of varying quality, until 4:00 a.m., when "10" comes on.

I have the 1935 version too both colorized and in B/W and I like it better than the 1965 re-make. Being a RKO Merian C. Cooper Production release I have always wondered why this isn't on TCM all the time.

• Like 1

Thursday, June 25

4:30 p.m.  The Walking Stick (1970) a David Hemmings film that I haven’t seen before

6:15 p.m.  The System (1964)  You could probably consider this Michael Winner film as a breakthrough role for the young, Oliver Reed.  It definitely was a different direction than the Hammer horror movies that he had been doing.

10 p.m.  Brainstorm (1983)  I’ve never seen this fateful Christopher Walken, Natalie Wood film.

I remember seeing the sequel, THE VENGEANCE OF SHE, as.a.tot in theaters. Ursula Andress was not in it, and I 't remember the name of the beauty who played "She". Both it and the SHE remake were on TCM about a year ago.

Wed night--I'd forgotten about Ray Harryhausens' (sp?) stop-motion special effects in ONE MILLION B.C. (1966)--they were more animated than most of the live action cast.

SHE (1965)--was a disappointment--not nearly as over-the-top as the 1935  version--still, it had its' moments--watching a dancer in the human sacrifice sequence count his steps to make sure he's in step with the other dancers--one of the British explorers saying dreamily about the 2000 year old sex-goddess SHE "they just don't make them like her anymore", sighing, & getting slapped.

Logan's Run (1975)--veered between silly & boring--Farrah Fawcett, in a small role, made a definite impression of a future star awaiting the right role.

Yeah, I'm not sure where Logan's Run fit in with the pin up girl theme.  Was it that very small part for Farrah Fawcett?  Jenny Agutter is cute but no Raquel Welch or Ursula Andress.

Laura Antonelli might have been a more interesting choice.  Tigers in Lipstick has both Antonelli and Andress in it.

Bogie56-- Yes--she was the girl in the blue dress with glitter.Had to be Farrah Fawcett, Jenny Agutter didn't make it to stardom, at least not in the U.S.  Fawcett had the poster on every teenage boys' wall from Charlies' Angels (1976--82?)  She was only on one season, but her poster in her red swimsuit was everywhere you looked in the mid 70's--blinding white teeth and hair that had been tortured, dyed, permed, curled, everything to get big 70's hair.

Friday June 26

I’ve seen just about all of these but would like to now grab some copies of 

2:45 pm  Possessed (1947)

8 p.m. The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)

and

3 a.m.  Point Blank (1967)

For my picks, one I've seen, one I haven't--almost everything is worth seeing if you haven't seen them already--Anyway:

8:00 a.m.--"They Won't Believe Me" (1947)--excellent Susan Hayward film noir with Robert Young playing against type.  Great twist ending.

9:45 p.m.--"Berlin Express" (1948)--Jacques Tournier film (he helmed Out of the Past (1947)) I haven't seen yet.

Friday June 26

8 p.m. The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)

The Mask of Dimitrios, filled with so many great actors and characters, has one actor in a small role who gives as fine a performance as I've ever seen. It's Victor Francen, who plays Grodek, to whom Peter Lorre goes for advice. Although Francen has a small role, it's a big scene, and in every movement, glance, and word, he's perfect. 

• Like 2

Saturday, June 27

6 a.m.  Mission to Moscow (1943)  with Walter Huston and Ann Harding.  This is the one for me today.

10 a.m.  Batman and Robin: Batman Takes Over (1949)  Man there are a lot of these Batman serials.

10:30  Maybe when Bomba runs out of steam TCM would start showing the Santo Mexican wrestling movies in this slot?

3:15  a.m.  Zotz!  (1962) with Tom Poston.  Even as a 7 year-old I thought this movie stunk.

2 I haven't seen in a long time:

8:00 p.m.--"The Picture of Dorian Gray" (1945)--Very good adaptation of the Oscar Wilde story.  Angela Lansbury is especially noteworthy.

11:45 "Pandora and the Flying Dutchman" (1951)--Romanticism rules with James Mason as captain of the Flying Dutchman, doomed to sail the world until he finds a woman who loves him, & Ava Gardner is Pandora, a woman who destroys all men who fall in love with her.  Romantic nonsense that is fascinating till it gets bogged down in talk.  Great swoony, silly fun--up to a point.

SUNDAY, JUNE 28, 2015

6:15 PM

The Gazebo (1960)

2:00 AM

Band Of Outsiders (1964)

The Mask of Dimitrios, filled with so many great actors and characters, has one actor in a small role who gives as fine a performance as I've ever seen. It's Victor Francen, who plays Grudek, to whom Peter Lorre goes for advice. Although Francen has a small role, it's a big scene, and in every movement, glance, and word, he's perfect. 

Thanks for the heads up. I've got Mask on the DVR and it will be seen withing the next 2-3 days, good thing to look for.

If I were not a chronic non-thread starter I would start a thread along the lines of this. Small, scintillating roles by relatively unknowns that really contributed to the movie. Something like this has probably been done in some form or other already, but it strikes me as fun. A storehouse of this sort of thing are all the cameo perfs in Touch of Evil but that wouldn't necessarily be the target idea; rather, small nearly forgotten or glossed over, or never quite recognized little gems. It's fun to try to think of some. The example above is perfect. Like, who is Victor Francen? ... and yet ...

Like, who is Victor Francen? ... and yet ...

Here is Victor Francen with Peter Lorre in The Mask of Dimitrios; and a second photo, also with Peter Lorre, in The Beast with Five Fingers:

4769280_t3.jpg

tumblr_mcga2gYYlp1qe90ht.jpg