Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Here is Victor Francen with Peter Lorre in The Mask of Dimitrios; and a second photo, also with Peter Lorre, in The Beast with Five Fingers:

4769280_t3.jpg

tumblr_mcga2gYYlp1qe90ht.jpg

In both pics they have Lorre standing on something. Lorre is a small man I believe, Francen is probably on the taller side. I guess they have to something. At least they didn't cut off Francen's legs. Or is Lorre wearing stilts?

In both pics they have Lorre standing on something. Lorre is a small man I believe, Francen is probably on the taller side. I guess they have to something. At least they didn't cut off Francen's legs. Or is Lorre wearing stilts?

LOL, no, I just happened to find those photos. In the scene from ...Demetrios, Francen is actually standing for part of the time, and he does tower over Lorre.

He's sitting down.

He's sitting down.

Not seeing the chair is weird though. We can assume he's sitting I guess...such a prosaic explanation. Francen having his legs offed is some much interesting. Should we start a thread on this? The board needs some humming.

Not seeing the chair is weird though. We can assume he's sitting I guess...such a prosaic explanation. Francen having his legs offed is some much interesting. Should we start a thread on this? The board needs some humming.

Actually, in The Beast with Five Fingers it was Francen's hand that got up to all sorts of mischief (like strangling people and playing the piano) -- after he died.

tumblr_n5vpcueOYf1ql2w65o1_500.gif

Actually, in The Beast with Five Fingers it was Francen's hand that got up to all sorts of mischief (like strangling people and playing the piano) -- after he died.

tumblr_n5vpcueOYf1ql2w65o1_500.gif

As a classical music buff I am devastated that hand that that plays the piano can also strangle people. I am so disillusioned. Maybe he just plays chopsticks.

Creepy jif. Looks like a tarantula. I know creepy because I was afraid of tarantulas when I was a kid. I had nightmares about them, truly. Remember the movie Tarantula. My mother would not let see that, just wouldn't, no matter what. I never saw it.

As a classical music buff I am devastated that hand that that plays the piano can also strangle people. I am so disillusioned. Maybe he just plays chopsticks.

Creepy jif. Looks like a tarantula. I know creepy because I was afraid of tarantulas when I was a kid. I had nightmares about them, truly. Remember the movie Tarantula. My mother would not let see that, just wouldn't, no matter what. I never saw it.

I had an interesting spider experience. I had a seminar in college (I was a Theology major): "Theological problems in the film scripts of Ingmar Bergman."  I was lying on my bed in the dorm reading Through a Glass Darkly, when a spider crawled up the wall! If you know the film, you know that God takes the form of a spider.

• Like 1

I have read that Fred Gwynne stood on a wooden box to be that much taller than Yvonne DeCarlo in The Munsters, especially in the scenes where he bent way down to kiss her.  That was in addition to being tall in the first place and wearing custom elevator shoes.  His awkward presence as Herman Munster was probably a combination good comic acting and actually trying not to fall over.

Sunday, June 28

6 a.m.  Dodsworth (1936) with Walter Huston and Ruth Chatterton.  Time for a Dodsworth refresher.

2 a.m.  El Casado Casa Quiere (1950) Have to catch this Mexican film that I have never seen.  *In Canada only as my friend mr6666 has pointed out.

"2 a.m.  El Casado Casa Quiere (1950) Have to catch this Mexican film that I have never seen."

don't see this online.

is this from Canadian schedule?

• Like 1

"2 a.m.  El Casado Casa Quiere (1950) Have to catch this Mexican film that I have never seen."

don't see this online.

Yes, absolutely right.  It is replacing Band of Outsiders.  Personally I am okay with that as I have a copy of that film already!

I think El Casado may have been on TCM before?

Here's a last minute recommendation for The Moon and Sixpence. It's hard to imagine a better role for George Sanders than this, as a cynical artist dissatisfied with his world and himself. Especially good dialogue in this one, naturally enough, especially for Sanders' character, whose attitude I find particularly gratifying. Very interesting film, very entertaining (until Tahiti.)

• Like 1

don't see this online.

Dang! I want to see that instead. I mean, I've not seen either, but this sounds like the stuff! Nevermind the French hipster thing, I want this kitschy musical!

Monday, June 29

Max von Sydow night!  Now here is someone who deserves an Academy lifetime achievement award for his 60+ year film career.

8 p.m.  Hawaii (1966) One of Max’s best lead performances in the English language.  This would make a good double bill with Charlton Heston's The Hawaiians some day.

3:15  a.m.  The Emigrants.  Maybe one of these days TCM will show the Jan Troell sequel, The New Land (1972)

MIA is Max’s best screen performance: Pelle the Conqueror (1987).

​Max has enough Foreign and English language films up his sleeve to be Star of the Month.  

• Like 2

Monday, June 29

Max von Sydow night!  Now here is someone who deserves an Academy lifetime achievement award for his 60+ year film career.

8 p.m.  Hawaii (1966) One of Max’s best lead performances in the English language.  This would make a good double bill with Charlton Heston's The Hawaiians some day.

3:15  a.m.  The Emigrants.  Maybe one of these days TCM will show the Jan Troell sequel, The New Land (1972)

MIA is Max’s best screen performance: Pelle the Conqueror (1987).

​Max has enough Foreign and English language films up his sleeve to be Star of the Month.  

Although Max Von Sydow's role in the upcoming STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS has not been officially revealed, it is currently rumored that he will be playing Boba Fett.

George Lucas has said that Boba Fett did not die in the Sarlaac pit, into which he fell in RETURN OF THE JEDI. 

Although Max Von Sydow's role in the upcoming STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS has not been officially revealed, it is currently rumored that he will be playing Boba Fett.

George Lucas has said that Boba Fett did not die in the Sarlaac pit, into which he fell in RETURN OF THE JEDI. 

I see the original actor for this part, Jeremy Bulloch is still with us.

Tuesday, June 30

6 a.m. Crash (1932) with Ruth Chatterton and George Brent.  Never seen this one.

7 a.m.  Two Against the World (1932) with Constance Bennett.  Haven’t seen this one either.

8:15 a.m.  Grand Slam (1933) with Loretta Young.  Looking forward to seeing this for the first time too.

9:30 a.m.  The Captain Hates the Sea (1934) an early Stooges appearance!

8 and 10:30 p.m.  eek!   Auntie Mame followed by Mame.    No, no, please .. I confess!!

• Like 1

I see the original actor for this part, Jeremy Bulloch is still with us.

According to the source of the rumor, Boba Fett's appearance was altered by "cybernetic modifications" necessary after the injuries he suffered from his encounter with the Sarlaac in RETURN OF THE JEDI.

Jeremy Bulloch's face was never revealed in either THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK or RETURN OF THE JEDI since Boba Fett was always wearing his signature armor in those movies.

In the prequel ATTACK OF THE CLONES, it was revealed that Boba Fett was a clone of Jango Fett. Therefore, the adult Boba (without "modifications") would look exactly like his "father" Jango (who was played by Temuera Morrison in ATTACK OF THE CLONES).

According to the source of the rumor, Boba Fett's appearance was altered by "cybernetic modifications" necessary after the injuries he suffered from his encounter with the Sarlaac in RETURN OF THE JEDI.

Jeremy Bulloch's face was never revealed in either THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK or RETURN OF THE JEDI since Boba Fett was always wearing his signature armor in those movies.

In the prequel ATTACK OF THE CLONES, it was revealed that Boba Fett was a clone of Jango Fett. Therefore, the adult Boba (without "modifications") would look exactly like his "father" Jango (who was played by Temuera Morrison in ATTACK OF THE CLONES).

I'll take your word for it, Holden!

Glad you were able to follow the plot.   :)

"9:30 a.m. ET  The Captain Hates the Sea (1934) " with an excellent performance by John Gilbert, playing an alcoholic

• Like 1

I'll take your word for it, Holden!

Glad you were able to follow the plot.   :)

I'm looking forward to seeing Max Von Sydow in THE FORCE AWAKENS anyway, but I think it would be a nice touch if he plays an established character like Boba Fett.

I'm still hoping that Adam Driver's character Kylo Ren will be the son of Princess Leia and Han Solo and thus the grandson of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader.  

Wednesday, July 1

6 a.m.  Payment Deferred (1932) with Charles Laughton and Maureen O’Sullivan.  Looks intriguing.

3 p.m.  Passport to Destiny (1944) with Elsa Lanchester.  Looks like Man Hunt with a female lead.

5:45 p.m.  Young Bess (1953)  I’ve always wanted to see this Jean Simmons film.

• Like 1

Wednesday, July 1

5:45 p.m.  Young Bess (1953)  I’ve always wanted to see this Jean Simmons film.

YOUNG BESS is an entertaining movie.

Charles Laughton reprises the role of Henry VIII (which he'd played 20 years earlier in THE PRIVATE LIFE OF HENRY VIII).

• Like 1

Vic Morrow alert!

He seems to have a couple of rabid fans within this community, so.....

'Treasure of Matecumbe' is scheduled on Thursday.

Some good films coming on tomorrow, unfortunately their all on in the unwatchable morning hours. Two fantastic, one-of-a-kind silent films that I'm sure most regular TCM viewers have seen a few times by now, Haxan, and The Adventures of Prince Achmed- plus an amusing and curious one in between them, The Wizard of Oz.

But this is the one I want to see: Day of Wrath (1943), a film by ever-fascinating Carl Theodor Dreyer. Hopefully it will be on at a better hour some time. After these it seems the (much deserved) tribute to witches peters out pretty quickly.

P.S., make the best of Disney day and remember to watch the cartoons in prime time.

• Like 1