Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Thursday, July 2

10:45 a.m.  Day of Wrath (1943)  Time to replace my vhs copy of this Dreyer film.

1:45 p.m.  The Seventh Victim (1943) with Tom Conway and Kim Hunter.  Directed by Mark Robson.  Have to catch this one.

3 p.m.  Bell, Book and Candle (1958)  I didn’t really care for this one too much.  But Novak does look great.  And with all the talk of Bewitched lately it might be good to see for conversational purposes.

11 p.m.  The Living Desert (1953)  Disney Oscar winning documentary.

One I've searched for for years, & missed the only TCM showing 2 years back, plus a few non-essential goodies.

1:45 p.m.--"The Seventh Victim"--(1943)--Eerie Val Lewton film that is supposed to be among his best films.  Watch it or tape it--I've seen all his other films (except Youth Runs Wild) (1944)), so I'm expecting one heck of a film!

6:30 p.m.--"The Terror" (1963)--One of Jack Nicholson's 1st films, this is an AIP film & co-stars Boris Karloff--I know film has so-so reputation, but  am watching anyway.

8:00 p.m.--three Disney cartoons in a row.

11:00 p.m.--"The Living Desert" (1953)--documentary about desert life with knockout photography. :)

12:15 a.m.--"The Great Locomotive Chase" (1956)--saw this on a re-release in the 70's.  Good film

2:00 a.m.--"Treasure of Matecumbe"--(1976)--Saw this on original release in the 70's.  Couldn't believe what a mess it was.  Not worth staying up for   Read the book by Robert Lewis Taylor instead. 

Is there a "thumbs down"avatar/emoticon?

12:15 a.m.--"The Great Locomotive Chase" (1956)--saw this on a re-release in the 70's.  Good film

I'm happy to see that THE GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE is now noted on the schedule as being in "widescreen."

When the July schedule first appeared, there was no such notation, which was troubling since the movie was shot in CinemaScope.

I was fearing another "Pan-and-Scan."

• Like 2

Thursday, July 2

10:45 a.m.  Day of Wrath (1943)  Time to replace my vhs copy of this Dreyer film.

1:45 p.m.  The Seventh Victim (1943) with Tom Conway and Kim Hunter.  Directed by Mark Robson.  Have to catch this one.

3 p.m.  Bell, Book and Candle (1958)  I didn’t really care for this one too much.  But Novak does look great.  And with all the talk of Bewitched lately it might be good to see for conversational purposes.

11 p.m.  The Living Desert (1953)  Disney Oscar winning documentary.

I really liked Bell Book and Candle.  I understand it was one of the inspirations for the "Bewitched" TV show.  I liked Jack Lemmon and Ernie Kovacs in this film. 

I'm also looking forward to the offerings from The Disney Vault.  They did such great stuff back in the 50s-60s.

Friday, July 3

Noir Friday has a lot to offer if you haven’t seen them all already.

4:30  a.m.  Marlowe (1969)  Perhaps not the best Marlowe, but pretty solid nonetheless and features an appearance by Bruce Lee.

Saturday, July 4

“Come on, Mandrake.  The Redcoats are coming!”

6 p.m.  Miss Firecracker (1989) with Holly Hunter and Mary Steenburgen.  Haven’t seen this one.  Nice to have a post-1960 film once in a while too.

• Like 1

If you haven't seen them already:

8:00 a.m.--Annie Get Your Gun (1950)--Howard Keel & Betty Hutton do well by an Irving Berlin score--their duet "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" is classic

!0:00 a.m.--7 Brides for 7 Brothers (1954)

1:00 a.m.--Rosalie (1937)--an musical with a Cole Porter score including "In the Still of the Night".  Nelson Eddy's partnered with Eleanor Powell, who tap danced with machine gun precision--was Eddys' only MGM box-office hit w/o Jeanette.

Sunday, July 5

noon.  The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)  This one divides the crowd.  Personally, I love it.  Here is a good opportunity to add to the current Dana Andrews thread.

3 p.m.  The Misfits (1961)  There has been lots of good chat about this one of late.  Personally, I would love to see TCM show Sidney Lumet's A View From the Bridge (1962) with Raf Vallone and Maureen Stapleton.  There is an Arthur Miller film that seems to have disappeared.

2:15 a.m.  Donkey Skin (1970) Jacques Demy film with Catherine Deneuve.  Have to record this one!

4 a.m.  The Universe of Jacques Demy (1995) by Demy’s wife, Agnes Varda.  This makes for a good double bill.

Monday, July 6

7 a.m.  The Romance of Rosy Ridge (1947) with Janet Leigh’s film debut.  This may have played when she was star of the month recently ? but I missed it.

Shirley Temple night.  I haven’t seen most of these since I was a small kid so the recorder will be working overtime.

8 p.m.   Little Miss Marker (1934)

9:30 p.m.  Now and Forever (1934)

11 p.m.  Bright Eyes (1934)

12:30 a.m.  Curly Top (1935)

2 a.m.  Poor Little Rich Girl (1936)

• Like 1

Two daytime movies to see/record:

2:15p.m.--"That Forsyte Woman" (1949)--with Greer Garson & Errol Flynn

6:15p.m.--"Pete Kelly's Blues"  (1955)--combination noir/musical.  Peggy Lee got an Oscar nomination for the film--Look & listen for Ella Fitzgerald.

Monday, July 6

7 a.m.  The Romance of Rosy Ridge (1947) with Janet Leigh’s film debut.  This may have played when she was star of the month recently ? but I missed it.

TCM  did play THE ROMANCE OF ROSY RIDGE during Janet Leigh's Star Of The Month tribute, and I did miss it.

I'm glad TCM is airing it again. 

• Like 1

Exerpts from Moviecollector's schedule

(TV schedules shamelessly copied and pasted from someone else's hard work, all times EST)

The Band Wagon played just fine yesterday, but it looks like they will be repeating it, which is a good thing.  Cyd Charisse.  Rawr.

The Band Wagon
Two playwrights bring a movie dancer (Fred Astaire) to New York for a Broadway show with a ballerina (Cyd Charisse).
Movie Rating: NR
Star Rating: 3/4
Movie Release Year: 1953
Genre: Musical Wednesday, July 08, 2015
4:15 PM - 6:15 PM

TCM "does" Sci-Fi.  Later on this week. Don't blink, you might miss it.

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
A space scientist (Hugh Marlowe) figures out how to down a fleet of alien spacecraft looming over Washington, D.C.
Star Rating: **+
Movie Release Year: 1956
Genre: Science fiction Thursday, July 09, 2015
8:00 PM - 9:30 PM

It Came From Outer Space
Based on a Ray Bradbury short story about an astronomer's encounter with extraterrestrials in the Arizona desert.
Movie Rating: G
Movie Release Year: 1953
9:30 PM - 11:00 PM

The Day the Earth Stood Still
Klaatu (Michael Rennie) and his guardian robot, Gort, come from afar to warn Earth about nuclear war.
Movie Rating: G
Star Rating: ***+
Movie Release Year: 1951
11:00 PM - 1:00 AM

The Man From Planet X
An alien asks earthlings (Robert Clarke, Margaret Field, Raymond Bond) for help and gets blasted by bazookas.
Star Rating: 2/4
Movie Release Year: 1951
Genre: Science fiction Friday, July 10, 2015
1:00 AM - 2:30 AM

Invisible Invaders
A scientist (John Agar) uses high frequency to halt marching zombies in business suits.
Star Rating: *+
Movie Release Year: 1959
Genre: Science fiction Friday, July 10, 2015
2:30 AM - 3:45 AM

They Came From Beyond Space
Caped spacemen need slaves on the moon; a physicist (Robert Hutton) and his girlfriend (Jennifer Jayne) deal with them.
Movie Release Year: 1967
Genre: Science fiction
Friday, July 10, 2015
3:45 AM - 5:30 AM

• Like 1

Tuesday, July 7

6 a.m.  Toll of the Sea (1922)  An Anna May Wong silent that I have yet to see.

1 p.m.  A Star Is Born (1937)  with Janet Gaynor, Fredric March and Adolphe Menjou.  I’m curious to see what this copy is going to be like.  Mine happens to be quite dark with tons of contrast.

8 p.m.  Lassie Come Home *SPOILERS*

Donald Crisp and Elsa Lanchester are so poor they cannot feed their own family let alone the useless mutt.  So, they sell it and are able to eat once again.  But Lassie keeps escaping from its new owner and turns up like a bad penny again and again, embarrassing Crisp and continually upsetting poor Roddy just when he seems to be getting over things.

Tuesday, July 7

6 a.m.  Toll of the Sea (1922)  An Anna May Wong silent that I have yet to see.

1 p.m.  A Star Is Born (1937)  with Janet Gaynor, Fredric March and Adolphe Menjou.  I’m curious to see what this copy is going to be like.  Mine happens to be quite dark with tons of contrast.

8 p.m.  Lassie Come Home *SPOILERS*

Donald Crisp and Elsa Lanchester are so poor they cannot feed their own family let alone the useless mutt.  So, they sell it and are able to eat once again.  But Lassie keeps escaping from its new owner and turns up like a bad penny again and again, embarrassing Crisp and continually upsetting poor Roddy just when he seems to be getting over things.

I should have added that Lassie Come Home is a Canadian replacement for The Garden of Allah.  

• Like 1

Wednesday, July 8

12:45 p.m.  The River (1951)  I’m recording this one.  I missed the start the last time for some strange reason.

Toronto Cinematheque happens to be showing a lot of these films this summer as part of its Technicolor tribute.  The two strip technicolor looks a lot like hand tinted prints I must say.

Wed., July 8th--Everything's good :)

12:45--The River (1951)--the one film I haven't seen

4:15--The Band Wagon (1953) (for those who haven't seen "The Girl Hunt"--(She came at me in sections") :P

8:00--"She Wore A Yellow Ribbon--(1949)--classic John Ford & John Wayne western

I've seen Martin Scorsese's THE AVIATOR before but I'm looking forward its airing on TCM tonight.

The movie stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes and features Cate Blanchett as Katharine Hepburn, Jude Law as Errol Flynn and Kate Beckinsale as Ava Gardner.

the-aviator.jpg  

theaviator_wideweb__430x281.jpg

the-aviator-hughes-gardner.jpg

61178379-9158-4319-927b-96e49c5d8cbd_zps

HoldenIsHere-The Aviator (2004)is a good show.  Enjoy it.  Viscontis' "The Leopard" (1963) at 3:30 is also worth watching--Burt Lancaster is wonderful in it. :)

I've seen Martin Scorsese's THE AVIATOR before but I'm looking forward its airing on TCM tonight.

The movie stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes and features Cate Blanchett as Katharine Hepburn, Jude Law as Errol Flynn and Kate Beckinsale as Ava Gardner.

the-aviator.jpg  

theaviator_wideweb__430x281.jpg

the-aviator-hughes-gardner.jpg

61178379-9158-4319-927b-96e49c5d8cbd_zps

I think it's a great film with fine performances, but DiCaprio didn't quite have the gravitas then. Seemed too young, unlike a few years later, when he came off so much better as J. Edgar. And Jude Law and Kate Beckinsdale, as pretty as they are, do not quite match the beauty of Flynn and Gardner.

• Like 1

Thursday, July 9

6:15 p.m.  The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962).  I could use a copy of this one.

Flying Saucer movies galore!

9:30 p.m.  It Came From Outer Space (1953).  This gave me creepy dreams for weeks when I was a kid.  Who else, but Richard Calson is in it!

1 a.m.  The Man From Planet X (1951).  Aliens on a small Scottish island?                                                                                Hmmm …  In War of the Worlds the Martians were finally beaten by the common cold virus.  I wonder if the sound of bagpipes figures into this one somewhere?

Sounds like this might make for a good double bill with Whiskey Galore (1949).

Thursday, July 9

6:15 p.m.  The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962).  I could use a copy of this one.

Flying Saucer movies galore!

9:30 p.m.  It Came From Outer Space (1953).  This gave me creepy dreams for weeks when I was a kid.  Who else, but Richard Calson is in it!

1 a.m.  The Man From Planet X (1951).  Aliens on a small Scottish island?                                                                                Hmmm …  In War of the Worlds the Martians were finally beaten by the common cold virus.  I wonder if the sound of bagpipes figures into this one somewhere?

Sounds like this might make for a good double bill with Whiskey Galore (1949).

It wasn't just bagpipes;   the Martians ran into the Bagzit duo,   which of course featured bagpipes and a zither.  

• Like 2

I think it's a great film with fine performances, but DiCaprio didn't quite have the gravitas then. Seemed too young, unlike a few years later, when he came off so much better as J. Edgar. And Jude Law and Kate Beckinsdale, as pretty as they are, do not quite match the beauty of Flynn and Gardner.

Jude Law is NO Errol Flynn. Don't forget about Gwen Stefani as Jean Harlow-- who looks nothing like Harlow whatsoever.

• Like 1

8 p.m.  Lassie Come Home *SPOILERS*

Donald Crisp and Elsa Lanchester are so poor they cannot feed their own family let alone the useless mutt.  So, they sell it and are able to eat once again. 

Haha, reading this I thought it was going to say, "are so poor they cannot feed their own family let alone the useless mutt.  So...."

.....they cook Lassie up for dinner. End of movie.