Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Friday, Sept. 8

8am Taxi (1932).

One of the best of the fast paced pre coders Warners poured out with James Cagney. It veers away from its early theme of taxi wars (unfortunately) but still remains emotionally involving throughout. Cagney is at his bouncy, pugnacious best here, though there is a disturbing dark streak to his character (particularly in a scene near the film's end).

Co-starring a young and drop dead gorgeous Loretta Young, as well as Guy Kibbee. Watch out for a brief appearance by George Raft as a competitor of Cagney on a dance floor.

taxi19322.jpg

Love this film.  Classic 1930's W-B (with all of its signature touches) and Loretta is especially gorgeous in this one.

• Like 1

Saturday, Sept. 9th/10th: Animated Underground.  All times E.S.T.:

2:00 a.m. "Belladonna of Sadness" (1973)--Japanese animated film was welcomed at the Berlin Film Festival, flopped in Japan.  TCM's film webpage has a nice long article on the movie.

3:30 a.m. "Fantastic Planet" (1973)--This film won a prize at Cannes Film Festival.  It's notable for its' animation and theme of rebellion against oppression.

• Like 1

No love for Fri airing of....?

large_7QgyUVIwo20tduM4yf43zjaGMbK.jpg

travis-161444196.jpg

"Hi everybody. I'm just a normal regular type guy who likes hanging out. I also want to fix the FILTHY MESS (!!!!) our cities have become. Did ya ever see such SCUM? So if you wanna be my friend . . . What? . . . What was that? . . . You talkin' to me? You talkin' to ME!?!"

• Like 1

What always sort of tickled me about this movie was it also had PETER BOYLE in the cast, and DeNiro's TRAVIS' desire to rid the world of all it's filth, which was the same desire Boyle's JOE( '70) also had.

Sepiatone

Sunday, September 10/11

12:15 a.m.  The Three Musketeers (1921) with Douglas Fairbanks

followed by a Satyajit Ray double bill …

2:30 a.m.  Charulata (1965)

4:45 a.m.  The Coward (1965)

• Like 2

Sunday, September 10/11

12:15 a.m.  The Three Musketeers (1921) with Douglas Fairbanks

I won't swear to it but I thought someone on these boards said that The Three Musketeers to be shown tonight will be a restored version of the silent.

The character of d'Artagnan stuck with Fairbanks; until his sudden death from a heart attack in 1939, he continued to wear d'Artagnan's moustache. Of The Three Musketeers, his son, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., later mused, "Whether it was d'Artagnan with Douglas Fairbanks or Douglas Fairbanks pretending to be d'Artagnan I don't know. It was an interchangeable identification."

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article.html?isPreview=&id=1349485%7C1347291&name=The-Three-Musketeers

The_Three_Musketeers_%281921%29_2.jpg

The second one from the left is Eugene Pallette. There would be a lot of burgers in his future before he played Friar Tuck in The Adventures of Robin Hood.

• Like 2

What always sort of tickled me about this movie was it also had PETER BOYLE in the cast, and DeNiro's TRAVIS' desire to rid the world of all it's filth, which was the same desire Boyle's JOE( '70) also had.

Sepiatone

I assume you knew this related to the movie Joe since it occurred in your backyard:

"Ten weeks before Joe was released in the United States, a real-life mass murder with similarities to the movie's climactic scenes occurred in Detroit, Michigan. On May 7, 1970, a railroad worker named Arville Douglas Garland entered a university residence and killed his daughter, her boyfriend and two other students."

Before and after sentencing, Garland received hundreds of letters from parents across the country who expressed sympathy with him. It was also reported that during the first weeks after his sentencing, he received no letters expressing outrage or condemnation of his actions."

Monday, Sept 11th/12th--3 fondly remembered Disney movies:  all times E.S.T.:

8:00 p.m. "Swiss Family Robinson" (1960)--Fun adventure film, even for those who tend to avoid "family friendly" fare.

2:30 a.m. "Freaky Friday" (1976)--Enjoyable comedy has mother and daughter switching bodies.

4:15 a.m. "Candleshoe" (1977)--I enjoyed the teaming of David Niven, Jodie Foster, and Helen Hayes when this was first released.

• Like 3

Tuesday, September 12

11:45 a.m. A Man’s Castle (1933). I still have yet to see this Spencer Tracy film.

It's good, and if I recall right (and I don't always), it's very much a Precode with its sensibilities and storyline. Young and Tracy are both exceptionally good in it, and you may already know this, but apparently they had a torrid affair on set that turned quite serious.

• Like 1

Monday, Sept 11th/12th--3 fondly remembered Disney movies:  all times E.S.T.:

8:00 p.m. "Swiss Family Robinson" (1960)--Fun adventure film, even for those who tend to avoid "family friendly" fare.

You're right.

In news that will surprise none of you, I'm not much for "family friendly fare" but I enjoyed this.

• Like 2

Tuesday, Sept 12th/13th: three excellent Jones films. All times E.S.T.:

11:45 p.m. "Madame Bovary" (1949)--Underrated Vincent Minnelli/Jennifer Jones film.

2:00 a.m. "Ruby Gentry" (1952)--Southern fried melodrama (set in North Carolina, I believe) of sex, social position, and religion, and the difficulties caused by them.  Jennifer Jones is good in this.

3:45 a.m. "Beat the Devil" (1953)--Marvelous spy spoof.  Jones is very good as a compulsive liar.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wed., Sept. 13th--all times E.S.T.

6:30 p.m. "Beast of the City" (1932)--Good PreCode with Walter Huston and Jean Harlow.

8:00 p.m. "Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story" (2015)--Interesting sounding documentary.

2:00 a.m. "Ruby Gentry" (1952)--Southern fried melodrama (set in North Carolina, I believe) of sex, social position, and religion, and the difficulties caused by them.  Jennifer Jones is good in this.

Okay, fl. Sorry, but I always forget.

Now, is this the Ruby that Dion DiMucci is always pining for, OR is this the Ruby that Kenny Rogers implores not to take her love to town?

(...see?!...confusing huh!)

Okay, fl. Sorry, but I always forget.

Now, is this the Ruby that Dion DiMucci is always pining for, OR is this the Ruby that Kenny Rogers implores not to take her love to town?

(...see?!...confusing huh!)

it's this Ruby:

ps- RUBY GENTRY is set in a seaside town in NORTH CAROLINA- the first line is something like:

"There's a little fishing town named Braddock in the state of North Carolina, and there lives a girl named RUBY GENTRY. Ruby was born on the wrong side of the tracks, and the people there never let her forget it."

I own the film on DVD because I am from (AND STILL RESIDE IN) a seaside town in North Carolina, and even though I was born on the right side of the tracks, I may some day take my revenge on the inhabitants a la Ruby- decked head to toe in HAUTE COUTURE FASHION and being a total BOSS while I do so.

Jennifer Jones is AMAZING in this film and she NAILS. THE. ACCENT.

• Like 3

it's this Ruby:

ps- RUBY GENTRY is set in a seaside town in NORTH CAROLINA- the first line is something like:

"There's a little fishing town named Braddock in the state of North Carolina, and there lives a girl named RUBY GENTRY. Ruby was born on the wrong side of the tracks, and the people there never let her forget it."

I own the film on DVD because I am from (AND STILL RESIDE IN) a seaside town in North Carolina, and even though I was born on the right side of the tracks, I may some day take my revenge on the inhabitants a la Ruby- decked head to toe in HAUTE COUTURE FASHION and being a total BOSS while I do so.

Jennifer Jones is AMAZING in this film and she NAILS. THE. ACCENT.

LOL. I could see that happening. I thought you lived in FL now? Or is that where your parents live?

Did the theme song from the film ever have lyrics written for it?

It's good, and if I recall right (and I don't always), it's very much a Precode with its sensibilities and storyline. Young and Tracy are both exceptionally good in it, and you may already know this, but apparently they had a torrid affair on set that turned quite serious.

Yeah, they came close to marrying, but both were Catholics and Tracy was already married.......

I won't swear to it but I thought someone on these boards said that The Three Musketeers to be shown tonight will be a restored version of the silent.

The character of d'Artagnan stuck with Fairbanks; until his sudden death from a heart attack in 1939, he continued to wear d'Artagnan's moustache. Of The Three Musketeers, his son, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., later mused, "Whether it was d'Artagnan with Douglas Fairbanks or Douglas Fairbanks pretending to be d'Artagnan I don't know. It was an interchangeable identification."

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article.html?isPreview=&id=1349485%7C1347291&name=The-Three-Musketeers

The_Three_Musketeers_%281921%29_2.jpg

The second one from the left is Eugene Pallette. There would be a lot of burgers in his future before he played Friar Tuck in The Adventures of Robin Hood.

No kidding! He looks almost slim here.

Jennifer Jones day and no one is going to mention one of the most haunting of fantasies?

8pm Portrait of Jennie (1948)

Story about a struggling artist who meets a young girl in the park one evening but every time he sees her afterward she has grown years older. Romantic fantasy about a mistake in time being corrected by forces beyond two lovers' control (or something like that). No matter what one may think of the logic of the story, the stunning photography of Joseph H. August (some images shot through a canvas to approximate the feel of a painting), combined with Dimitri Tiomkin's selections of Debussy themes, makes this lovely, sensitive film one to remember.

"Where I come from nobody knows and where I am going everyone goes."

With Jennifer Jones, Ethel Barrymore, David Wayne, Cecil Kellaway and, in one of his greatest "everyman" portrayals, Joseph Cotten.

I'm always amazed by Cotten's versatility, from smooth and sophisticated, even elegant on occasion (Shadow of a Doubt, Magnificent Ambersons, Since You Went Away) to ordinary, even bumbling, everymen types (Journey Into Fear, Third Man, Portrait of Jennie).

portrait-of-jennie-1948.jpg

• Like 6

LOL. I could see that happening. I thought you lived in FL now? Or is that where your parents live?

Did the theme song from the film ever have lyrics written for it?

Nope, I'm NC thru and thru, whole family is...

(well, there is a branch in South Carolina but we try not to talk about them too much.)

I don't know if the lyrics were written for the theme music to RUBY GENTRYbefore during or after the release, but there are lyrics, if you click on the link to the Ray Charles song they actually play across the bottom as he sings.

Nope, I'm NC thru and thru, whole family is...

(well, there is a branch in South Carolina but we try not to talk about them too much.)

I don't know if the lyrics were written for the theme music to RUBY GENTRYbefore during or after the release, but there are lyrics, if you click on the link to the Ray Charles song they actually play across the bottom as he sings.

OK then. I know the instrumental version was a big hit. Never heard it with lyrics........

Odd, wonder how I got the idea you were in FL lately? Is good that you werent there.