Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Between your sumptuous review and the fact that MALTIN gives THE LONG NIGHT two stars and calls it "Plodding and sullen; a long night indeed" I am going to TRY VERY HARD to catch this this afternoon!

Lorna, the pan in the Maltin book isn't even original. It's copied from a book on all the RKO films. Because some of the reviews in Maltin's guides are farmed out to others, Maltin isn't necessarily the one who repeated the "long night indeed" comment. That may mean Maltin has never seen the film. Fortunately, TCM shows The Long Night from time to time, and people can decide for themselves.

• Like 2

Friday, September 22

4:45 p.m.  Topper Returns (1941).

Nice to see an evening devoted to Zero Mostel.  Most of them are really good.

8 p.m.  The Front (1976).  Zero’s character is based in part on his own blacklist experiences.  

• Like 1

Thursday, September 21/22

1:30 a.m.  Woodstock (1970).  In Canada this is replaced by that rock ’n’ roll sensation, Ryan’s Daughter.   Spoiler: Sarah Miles does Sinead O'Connor.

5:30 a.m.  Jim Hendrix (1973).  Somehow I missed this one over the years.

Monterey Pop has some excellent musical performances.  If you like late 60's rock 'n roll and you haven't seen it, do check it out.

• Like 1

I notice there are still 2 gaps in the TCM schedule for November - the entire afternoon on Saturday, November 11 and again during the afternoon on Sunday, November 12.

Would anyone happen to know if this is related to a TCM Backlot event or something?

I thought Backlot was involved in Dec. SOTM?

Thursday, September 21/22

1:30 a.m.  Woodstock (1970).  In Canada this is replaced by that rock ’n’ roll sensation, Ryan’s Daughter.   Spoiler: Sarah Miles does Sinead O'Connor.

5:30 a.m.  Jim Hendrix (1973).  Somehow I missed this one over the years.

& a Premiere for Bob Dylan fans......

9:30 PM (ET)

documentary

Synopsis: D.A. Pennebaker follows Bob Dylan on his 1965 tour of England.

good article:  http://www.tcm.com/t...k/articles.html

• Like 1

I thought Backlot was involved in Dec. SOTM?

Thanks Hibi, I haven't been paying attention to Backlot notices on TCM so I'm not sure what events are going on.  I just saw the gaps in the November schedule and was speculating that they might be associated with Backlot.  I've seen in the past where they do some 'guest programmer'-type events where TCM fans help with the movie intros, so I thought that might be what's happening in November.  I guess we'll find out eventually...

It's possible. I dont keep up on Backlot stuff as I'm not a member (and have no plans to be). Possibly another round of Backlot picks? Or maybe they havent finalized those days for some reason....

The afternoon schedules for Saturday, November 11 and Sunday November 12 have been filled in now.  You do have to be sure to use the Weekly schedule view as sometimes in the Daily view the schedule still shows 'TBA'.  The monthly schedule is also filled in.

Nothing unusual on these two days - the 11th has some war-related films for Veterans Day, and there are some typical well-known classics on the 12th.

Monterey Pop has some excellent musical performances.  If you like late 60's rock 'n roll and you haven't seen it, do check it out.

Seen it before and watched it last night.  Takes me back.  I was just a month away from my 16th birthday when that event took place.  The most enjoyment I get out of the film is seeing all those "counterculture" music "giants" before they got as big as they would soon become.  What I dislike about it is Pennebaker's pizz-poor choices in camera angles( especially during Otis Redding's segment)  and concentrating more on the crowd than the performers.

Pennebaker did a much better job on the Dylan documentary.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

one of the funnier comedies** of the 1970's- THE OMEGA MAN with CHUCK HESTON- is coming on at 3:45 pm tomorrow.

can't remember if he wears a neckerchief in this one, but i could see how one could be certainly be worked in to the wardrobe given the story and all...

**i'm serious.

never fails to make me laugh

one of the funnier comedies** of the 1970's- THE OMEGA MAN with CHUCK HESTON- is coming on at 3:45 pm tomorrow.

**i'm serious.

never fails to make me laugh

Yeah, but then it's ruined by the whole Anthony Zerbe/"Black-Power metaphor" that they thought would make it "relevant" in the 70's.

Vincent Price never got that, and Will Smith had his whole "religion" theme cut by the studio.

Showed it at one of our all-night sci-fi festivals, and biggest reaction it got from the audience was the opening, where Heston cruises the empty city in his Mustang, and puts in...an 8-track tape!!   B)

Saturday, September 23/24

3:45 a.m. Rattlers (1976). Have to record this one for the wife.

This movie is terrrrrrible.

1. I know I'm bringing this up for the second time in like two days but the author of THE PSYCHOTRONIC FILM GUIDE admitted that EVEN HE was unable to finish it. THINK ABOUT THAT.

2. The film opens with a five minute prologue scene where two children fall into a nest of rattlesnakes and are bitten to death. Fun times.

3. It "stars" Sam Chew, Who you fans of MST 3K will recognize as the assistant to the dean in BEING FROM ANOTHER PLANET who "has just come from the el-o-cu-tion seminar."

• Like 2

Showed OMEGA MAN at one of our all-night sci-fi festivals, and biggest reaction it got from the audience was the opening, where Heston cruises the empty city in his Mustang, and puts in...an 8-track tape!! B)

AH yes, even after the apocalypse, you still had to wait til the end of side b for YOU DONT BRING ME FLOWERS (ANYMORE)

Sunday, Sept. 24th--All times E.S.T.:

6:00 a.m. "Go Naked In The World" (1961)--Enjoyably terrible melodrama (think "Butterfield 8")  that has Anthony Franciosa mistaking high class call girl Gina Lollobrigida for a run of the mill classy dame.  He falls in love with her--much trouble ensues.

10:00 a.m. "Scandal Sheet" (1952)--Phil Karlson noir, from a Samuel Fuller novel.

• Like 1

late tonight for UNDERGROUND

2:00 AM

C - 89 m

horror

Synopsis: An up-and-coming businessman is tormented by rats in his brownstone.
DirGeorge Cosmatos CastPeter Weller , Jennifer Dale , Lawrence Dane .

"a suspense thriller that charts the course of one man's victory over obsession," it was also described as "a kind of allegory of the 1980s - about our elegant goals and our primeval rage to survive."

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/85395/Of-Unknown-Origin/articles.html

-really quite good & Weller's excellent pre-'Robo-Cop'

:)

ofunknownoriginteaser.jpg?w=480&h=272

• Like 1

i am at PEAK 1970'S INTAKE for the rest of the month after catching the second half of THE OMEGA MAN yesterday.

Just sitting here, clutching my pet rock, pressing nonstop on the wah-wah pedal and THANKING THE BLACK BABY JESUS THAT I WAS BORN AT THE TAIL END OF WHAT JUST HAS TO BE THE MOST AESTHETICALLY UNAPPEALING PERIOD IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.

if THAT was what fashion and home decor was all about, then I for one WOULD HAVE WELCOMED THE APOCALYPSE.

PS- No neckerchief, sadly, but Chuck seems a little looser in this than usual.

PSS- What the Hell kind of virus turns people into Edgar Winter?

PSSS- All apologies to those of you who were alive for most of that time.

• Like 4

...one other thing about THE OMEGA MAN.

I could not help but notice most of the street scenes in the second half of the film took place on what I am 99.9999% sure was the FOX BACKLOT IN CENTURY CITY (I know this was a WB production, and apparently the house where the finale takes place is still extant and on the WARNER'S RANCH across from the studio.) BUT I RECOGNIZED MANY BUILDINGS AND STREETS AS GOTHAM CITY FROM THE BATMAN TV SHOW, INCLUDING THE FRONT FOR COMMISSIONER GORDON'S HEADQUARTERS!

The abandoned streets were pretty badly dressed too- I got a little eye-rolly at an obviously fresh magnolia branch just laying on the steps when there were no trees anywhere around.

ON TONIGHT AT 8:00

It's nice to see the detente between TCM and Fox continuing with CALL NORTHSIDE 777 (1948) coming on tonight.

A really well acted film- more docu-crime than noir in my book, but a noir in the books of others and I got no quibbles with that call....I can't remember who it is that plays the mother of the convicted man in this, but she is excellent.

afterwards, i says skip BOOMERANG! (1947), even if it is a Kazan joint, it's nothing special.

• Like 2

a watershed moment, if you will.

...a hideous watershed- painted orange and avocado and with a beaded curtain over the door...

(shudders)

Hey now, don't knock the color scheme and door beads.  I still have orange upholstered chairs sitting around my kitchen table!  Door beads aren't just a '60s and '70s thing either...they were​ featured in the final scene of "The Big Sleep" (at Geiger's house). 

• Like 1