Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Friday, Sept. 29th--all times E.S.T.:

8:00 a.m. "Cry Wolf" (1947)--Barbara Stanwyck/Errol Flynn thriller Maltin dislikes--so I'll watch it.

3:45 a.m. "What Price Hollywood?" (1932)--Cukor directed comedy/drama that was the inspiration for the "A Star Is Born" movies (1937, 54, & 76).

I liked Cry Wolf.  It's interesting to see Flynn in a noir and as a villain no less.  It'd be interesting to see if Flynn could have carried off more villainous roles.  His looks and charm would make him the perfect type of villain.  He and Stanwyck worked well together.  Geraldine Brooks is good as Flynn's niece. It's not the greatest noir, but it is a good diversion.

• Like 1

Norma Shearer gets bashed regularly here (one thread is current ), but she actually makes me weep , not cry, in the final parts of Marie Antoinette. ...

i did not know that!

she can be something of an acquired taste, but a study of her acting evolution is a Class A study of the transition of film acting from silent to sound.

her final 15 minutes in MARIE ANTIONETTE are as good as anything any actor has ever done on film.

• Like 1

Saturday, Sept. 30th--Two classic shorts and TCM Underground.  All times E.S.T.:

7:52 a.m. "Every Sunday" (1936)--MGM short that teamed Judy Garland doing Swing and Deanna Durbin doing Opera--a musical treat.

7:50 p.m. "The Great Lady Has An Interview" (1954)--Lana Turner's take on the Judy Garland number from "Ziegfeld Follies" (1946).

2:00 a.m. "Eraserhead" (1977)--Unique David Lynch film.

• Like 2

Glad my girl Norma is getting some love here.  I know a lot of people don't like her and I get that  but personally I think she's a good actress.  She did make a smooth transition from silents to talkies and that wasn't easy for a lot of actors.  I think she's excellent in MARIE and BARRETTS and her early talkies like THE DIVORCEE.  She's not at the top of my favorite list like Barbara and Bette but she's close.

Glad my girl Norma is getting some love here.  I know a lot of people don't like her and I get that  but personally I think she's a good actress.  She did make a smooth transition from silents to talkies and that wasn't easy for a lot of actors.  I think she's excellent in MARIE and BARRETTS and her early talkies like THE DIVORCEE.  She's not at the top of my favorite list like Barbara and Bette but she's close.

Norma Shearer would be a natural fit for a Canada Day film day - if there ever was one.  TCM are you listening?  July 1st.

• Like 2

I may be jumping the gun a little, but I seldom have time to write in the middle of the week due to work. Let me highly recommend Dynamite (1929),  DeMille's first talkie, which airs  5AM on Tuesday.. It actually has well done dialogue for an early talkie with the conversations seeming quite natural, and it has an interesting story. Also the motion is quite fluid for early sound too. This was actually the role that brought Charles Bickford to Hollywood. The female lead, Kay Johnson, is the mother of actor James Cromwell.

Also, don't miss the tribute to Buster Keaton on October 4, his birthday. In Coney Island I believe he actually laughs. And notice all of the sight gags in "The Cameraman" and "Speak Easily". If MGM did not think him to be of any value, why were they using Buster's gags for the next twenty years after they fired him in  everything from "A Night at the Opera" to just about every comedy Red Skelton did? EDIT: Actually TCM is not airing Speak Easily, but it is public domain and easily found on youtube.

• Like 1

Sunday, Oct. 1st/2nd

8:00 p.m. "Dracula" (1931)--Hopefully not the version with the Philip Glass score.

AMEN MY BRUTHAH!

(honestly, I think universal realized how much everyone hates that stupid Philip Glass score, when it was a fathom event they showed the version without the score and when it aired last time on TCM a few months back they also showed the version without the score.)

I don't think I've ever met anybody who felt like that stupid score contributed anything at all to the film. And it's just the same **** movement repeated over and over and over again.

• Like 2

AMEN MY BRUTHAH!

(honestly, I think universal realized how much everyone hates that stupid Philip Glass score, when it was a fathom event they showed the version without the score and when it aired last time on TCM a few months back they also showed the version without the score.)

I don't think I've ever met anybody who felt like that stupid score contributed anything at all to the film. And it's just the same **** movement repeated over and over and over again.

It was a big disk-bonus and restoration-festival event for the '31 movie going to DVD for the first time, and there was a big TCM push at the time for rescored silents.

Re-scored music-deprived early talkies, however, is crossing a line.  

And re-scoring movies that already had music, like Cocteau's Beauty & the Beast, you can see why Glass moved on to something else.

Monday, October 2

8 p.m.  Camille (1937).  I’ll take Garbo any day

i'm confused.

the schedule says that tonight at 8:00 they're showing the silent BEN HUR (was coming here to recommend it.)

it can't possibly be that a silent film has rights issues that forbid it's being shown in Canada...?

anyhoo, for those who get the chance, BEN-HUR (1925) is roughly 200 times better than the 1959 version.

and for those who have CAMILLE to watch, hey, you could do worse.

Tuesday, Oct. 3rd/4th--My two favorite horror classics that weren't directed by James Whale.  All times E.S.T.:

11:00 p.m. "The Mummy" (1932)--Eerie direction by Karl Freund, striking photography, and Karloff in the title role.

2:00 a.m. "Island of Lost Souls" (1933)--First and best sound version of H.G. Wells' "The Island of Dr. Moreau".

• Like 3

2:00 a.m. "Island of Lost Souls" (1933)--First and best sound version of H.G. Wells' "The Island of Dr. Moreau".

1-Island-Of-Lost-Souls.jpg

You just know these two will throw a fun bash. I'm sure in this shot Charles Laughton is directing his pal to the store with the best party whistles.

• Like 3