Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

For Wednesday morning's Buster Keaton tribute: Most people will have heard of Steamboat Bill, Jr. and The General, even if they haven't seen them, but I had never heard of The Cameraman until it was on at the TCM festival several years ago. A UCLA professor commented that it was his favorite Keaton film. Yes, it's that good. All three films have some amazing scenes. It's great that TCM has put together this feast for us.

• Like 3

Wednesday, October 4

Starting the day with Buster Keaton…

8 a.m.  The Bell Boy (1918)

8:30 a.m.  Good Night, Nurse (1918)

Thursday, October 5

7:30 a.m.  Romance of Radium (1937).  A date flick.

• Like 3

Wed., Oct. 4th/5th--Buster Keaton day, famous duels night.  All times E.S.T.:

10:30 a.m. "Spite Marriage" (1929)--Keaton's last silent is underrated.

1:30 p.m. "Character Studies" (1923)--Keaton is funny in this short.  I'm looking forward to seeing a cleaned up copy (I've seen bad copies of this online).

1:30 a.m. "Flesh and the Devil" (1927)--Garbo and Gilbert in one of their best films.

• Like 1

Cmon guys!

No one wants to plug EINE SYMPHONIE DAS GRAUNS tonight?

FRANKENSTEIN, BRIDE OF..., THE MUMMY, THE WOLF MAN, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS ?!

I know I'll watch...again. And again. And again. And again. And then probably fall asleep.

ETA- now that I think about it maybe someone somewhere earlier did mention this. But what the hey ? here's another plug.

• Like 2

...and if I'm really lucky, maybe I'll wake up sometime in the middle of the night at a time that just happens to coincide with the whole "are we not men ?!" moment from ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and momentarily trip the Hell out before I realize that a monkey talking like Bela Lugosi is not actually trying to kill me.

(I live a very exciting life.)

• Like 5

Thursday, Oct. 5th--Jacques Tourneur day (1957's "Curse of the Demon" doesn't air until the 24th).  All times E.S.T.

6:00 a.m. "Berlin Express" (1948)--Good post-WW II spy thriller/noir about a government official kidnapped by Nazis.

2:15 p.m. "Great Day In The Morning" (1956)--Western combining gold fever and the Civil War.

4:00 p.m. "The Rainbow Pass" (1937)--Tourneur directed short introduces Chinese theatre to American audiences.

• Like 1

Friday, October 6

9:45 p.m.  Friendly Persuasion (1956).   The entire cast is good in this one.  With Gary Cooper, Dorothy McGuire, Anthony Perkins and Marjorie Main.

• Like 3

Friday, October 6

9:45 p.m.  Friendly Persuasion (1956).   The entire cast is good in this one.  With Gary Cooper, Dorothy McGuire, Anthony Perkins and Marjorie Main.

A truly charming film with gentle humour, as well as compassion.

And let's not forget Samantha the Goose (who's not so compassionate).

800px-Poster_-_Friendly_Persuasion_09.jp

• Like 1

Yea,  finally Marjorie Main was in a film that had a more aggressive character than the one she played.   :lol:

Yea,  finally Marjorie Main was in a film that had a more aggressive character than the one she played.   :lol:

That's a good reminder, James, about Marjorie Main's hilarious turn in one sequence as the widowed Mrs. Hudspeth, with her three man hungry daughters.

full.friendlypersuasion_card2_26871__348

This image is a moment in which Gary Cooper asks the widow where her husband has gone, politely inquiring if it's in a heavenly direction. Marjorie is using a digit of her own here to inform Coop where she thinks her hubby should have gone. Might not have been the best of marriages.

• Like 2

Friday/Sat. 2:15 AM.   The Tall Story (1960).  Jane Fonda's debut movie.  Haven't seen it in a while, but fairly good comedy if I remember correctly.  Also features Anthony Perkins as the basketball player.

Maitlin gave it 2.5 stars so it can be too bad.

I recorded today's Nick Carter and Heddy Lamar movies, so I think I will go watch them.

Friday/Sat. 2:15 AM.   The Tall Story (1960).  Jane Fonda's debut movie.  Haven't seen it in a while, but fairly good comedy if I remember correctly.  Also features Anthony Perkins as the basketball player.

Maitlin gave it 2.5 stars so it can be too bad.

I recorded today's Nick Carter and Heddy Lamar movies, so I think I will go watch them.

I've never actually seen this movie. Just a few scenes. Going to record it. Didnt Joshua Logan direct?

I'll cast a vote to encourage people to watch "The Actress" at 8 p.m. Eastern.  Jean Simmons is annoying, but as former high school students, it's probably safe to say we sometimes gave our parents reason to pause and hope that their sons and daughters didn't turn out to be hoodlums or girls with a 'bad reputation' if we didn't have a direction in life.  Spencer Tracy is very animated in this one.

I'll cast a vote to encourage people to watch "The Actress" at 8 p.m. Eastern.  Jean Simmons is annoying, but as former high school students, it's probably safe to say we sometimes gave our parents reason to pause and hope that their sons and daughters didn't turn out to be hoodlums or girls with a 'bad reputation' if we didn't have a direction in life.  Spencer Tracy is very animated in this one.

Is Simmons convincing as a teen?   She was 23 \ 24 when the film was released.

I've always wanted to see this film, but for some reason I never have. I'll record it for wknd viewing.......

I love The Actress and highly recommend it...Jean and Teresa worked again in The Happy Ending, and when Jean suffered through her alcohol issues Teresa, her "Mom", became a pillar of support......

Thanks for the recommendation.   I'm a big fan of both Jean and Teresa so I'll make sure to watch The Actress (I have seen The Happy Ending and both were in fine form in that film).

PS:  Just found this related to Teresa Wright and the initial 5 year contract she signed with Goldwyn:

"The aforementioned Teresa Wright shall not be required to pose for photographs in a bathing suit unless she is in the water. Neither may she be photographed running on the beach with her hair flying in the wind. Nor may she pose in any of the following situations: In shorts, playing with a cocker spaniel; digging in a garden; whipping up a meal; attired in firecrackers and holding skyrockets for the Fourth of July; looking insinuatingly at a turkey for Thanksgiving; wearing a bunny cap with long ears for Easter; twinkling on prop snow in a skiing outfit while a fan blows her scarf; assuming an athletic stance while pretending to hit something with a bow and arrow."

Got to love a young women that would make such contract demands.    Her first role was with Davis in The Little Foxes and I wonder if she discussed her contract with Davis.    Davis was pushed by Warner to 'doll up' and for a few years she had a phony look (e.g. in The Fashions of 1934).   Davis hated what the studio was doing to her because she wanted to be a serious actress.    I assume Davis respected that Wright had the foresight to get those terms in her contract. 

• Like 1

James, I think she's pretty convincing, but then I'm usually a fan of hers. Spencer Tracy is in full-out ear-tugging, scene-stealing mode. Perkins and Simmons make a believable couple. It's somewhat shocking to me that Teresa Wright is playing the mother of the ingenue only seven years after she played the ingenue in The Best Years of Our Lives.

The Actress is based on Ruth Gordon's play Years Ago, which is based on her own experiences as an aspiring actress.

• Like 3

Teresa often mentioned that Bette was supportive on the Foxes set . When Bette was ill and set to do Whales of August, Teresa was approached to replace her, but Teresa refused out of respect for Bette. This is from a Teresa bio, "A Girl's Got to Breath"...

• Like 1

800px-Poster_-_Friendly_Persuasion_09.jp

It may pleasure you in a hundred ways, but not in the way I'd prefer. ;)
  • Like 1

I think Simmons pulled it off, yes.  She's very flighty in this one and displays an exuberance of someone who's ready to grab the world by the tail, shake it, and shout, "HERE I AM, PEOPLE".  But, she also shows a seriousness in some scenes where you can forgive her for her moments of enthusiastic disengagement from the daily struggles faced by her parents.

The first time I saw "The Actress", I didn't really like it.  Second time I saw it, I was warming up to it.  The scene where Spencer Tracy is recounting his life as a child is really poignant.  Friday night (if I can catch it) will be the third time I've seen this film.  I had never seen it before until TCM began showing it.  Hopefully, something else I never noticed in the first two viewings will be revealed to me.

• Like 3