Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Wed., Oct 11th/12th--More Val Lewton, George Pal at night.  All times E.S.T.:

7:30 a.m. "Isle of the Dead" (1945)--Is there a vampire on the loose during a quarantine in Greece--or not?

8:00 p.m. "The Fantasy Film Worlds of George Pal" (1985)--This documentary tribute is only playing in the U.S. for some reason.

3:15 a.m. "Atlantis, The Lost Continent" (1960)--This isn't Pal's best film, but it's one of my favorites--silly dialogue, a mix of good special effects, and ineffective ones.

• Like 2

Thursday, October 12

6 p.m.  Grand Hotel (1932).  Perhaps the granddaddy of the multi-star ensemble picture.

Friday, October 13

2:45 p.m.  A Place of One’s Own (1945) With James Mason and Margaret Lockwood.

Saturday, October 14/15

Start the brainwashing of the worker ants …

5:45 a.m.  When You Grow Up (1975) Quote: In the short film, children learn about the world of fun that awaits them when they grow up and go to work.”

Sunday, October 15

9:45 p.m.  The Brides of Dracula (1960).  I saw this again not long ago and was really impressed by Martita Hunt and Freda Jackson.  They probably and great fun doing it.

Monday, October 16

3:15 p.m.  Battle Beneath the Earth (1967).  Communist Chines invade the U.S. by burrowing beneath the Pacific.  This would fit right in with some in the off-topic forum.

Tuesday, October 17

noon.  Kid Glove Killer (1942).  An early Fred Zinnemann film with Van Heflin.

Wednesday, October 18

The Romy Schneider Sissi trilogy …

8 p.m.  Sissi (19550

10 p.m.  Sissi: The Young Empress (1956)

midnight.  Sissi: The Fateful Years of an Empress (1957)

• Like 1

Tuesday, October 17

noon. Kid Glove Killer (1942). An early Fred Zinnemann film with Van Heflin.

Marsha Hunt's 100th birthday. (Still alive as far as I know. I haven't checked the rest of the day's movies.)

Thursday, October 12

6 p.m.  Grand Hotel (1932).  Perhaps the granddaddy of the multi-star ensemble picture.

Friday, October 13

2:45 p.m.  A Place of One’s Own (1945) With James Mason and Margaret Lockwood.

Saturday, October 14/15

Start the brainwashing of the worker ants …

5:45 a.m.  When You Grow Up (1975) Quote: In the short film, children learn about the world of fun that awaits them when they grow up and go to work.”

Sunday, October 15

9:45 p.m.  The Brides of Dracula (1960).  I saw this again not long ago and was really impressed by Martita Hunt and Freda Jackson.  They probably and great fun doing it.

Monday, October 16

3:15 p.m.  Battle Beneath the Earth (1967).  Communist Chines invade the U.S. by burrowing beneath the Pacific.  This would fit right in with some in the off-topic forum.

Tuesday, October 17

noon.  Kid Glove Killer (1942).  An early Fred Zinnemann film with Van Heflin.

Wednesday, October 18

The Romy Schneider Sissi trilogy …

8 p.m.  Sissi (19550

10 p.m.  Sissi: The Young Empress (1956)

midnight.  Sissi: The Fateful Years of an Empress (1957)

WHO is Sissi?

the 2 premieres tonight for 'George Pal Tribute'...

(time ET)

8:00 PM Fantasy Film Worlds of George Pal, The ( 1985)  

Interviews and film clips pay tribute to the Oscar-winning fantasy filmmaker.

Dir Arnold Leibovit Cast Ann Robinson , Roy Edward Disney , Gene Roddenberry .

C- 94 mins, CC,

10:00 PM Puppetoon Movie, The ( 1987)  

Animated characters introduce a compilation of their short films from the 1930s and 1940s.

Dir Arnold Leibovit

C- 79 mins,

the-puppetoon-movie-movie-poster-1987-10

• Like 1

WHO is Sissi?

No, it's not what half the board here is wishfully thinking...  <_<

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048624/

As you can probably guess from sequels with "Princess" and "Empress" in the title, it's an Austrian costume-historical trilogy of Emperor Franz Josef's main sweetheart.  And no, it's not operetta.

10:00 PM Puppetoon Movie, The ( 1987)  

Animated characters introduce a compilation of their short films from the 1930s and 1940s.

Dir Arnold Leibovit

C- 79 mins,

the-puppetoon-movie-movie-poster-1987-10

Even though I'd grown up with Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm's Shoemaker Elves (speaking of which, Thurs. 10/12, 10:00 pm EST), I'd never heard of Pal's Puppetoons before the '87 collection hit arthouse theaters.  

So the poster and movie naturally made me assume George Pal, not Art Clokey, had created Gumby & Pokey.

Thursday, Oct. 12th/13th--Second night of the George Pal tribute.  All times E.S.T.:

12:30 a.m. "The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao" (1964)--This one's not a horror film, it's more like a Fantasy/Western.  Tony Randall is excellent in the title role(s).

2:30 a.m. "Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze" (1975)--A Pal film I haven't seen.

• Like 2

Recommendation for late Wed./early Thurs. -- Hotel Berlin. Imagine Grand Hotel (it's by the same author, Vicki Baum) set in the final days of WWII when all the Germans who can are looking for escape routes before the Allies take over. Raymond Massey is the best-known cast member, and he gives a fine performance as a rather complex Nazi officer, but Andrea King, Faye Emerson, Helmut Dantine, and the rest of the cast are also strong. Peter Godfrey directs.

Hotel Berlin would make a dynamite double feature with Rene Clement's Les Maudits, which has Nazis escaping by submarine.

• Like 2

No, it's not what half the board here is wishfully thinking...  <_<

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048624/

As you can probably guess from sequels with "Princess" and "Empress" in the title, it's an Austrian costume-historical trilogy of Emperor Franz Josef's main sweetheart.  And no, it's not operetta.

Even though I'd grown up with Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm's Shoemaker Elves (speaking of which, Thurs. 10/12, 10:00 pm EST), I'd never heard of Pal's Puppetoons before the '87 collection hit arthouse theaters.  

So the poster and movie naturally made me assume George Pal, not Art Clokey, had created Gumby & Pokey.

So it's Elizabeth? Wasnt sure if it was a real person or fictional....

Tomorrow, Friday October 13, features a day-time line-up of horror or horror-adjacent films, followed by the primetime spotlight on Anthony Perkins.

I haven't seen Kiss of the Tarantula (1976) 6:30 AM ET or Snake Woman (1961) 8:00 AM ET. Village of the DamnedThe Innocents and Curse of the Cat People are all classics, and should be seen if they haven't been. The NannyA Place of One's Own, and The Bad Seed all have their fans, but I've read reviews from just as many that don't like them.

I haven't seen any of the Perkins movies: Five Miles to MidnightPhaedra or Green Mansions.

Late night features the 1950 King Solomon's Mines (which seems more like a Saturday morning flick than a late Friday night one), and The Arrangement with Kirk Douglas, Faye Dunaway and Deborah Kerr.

• Like 1

Thank God for recording.  Appears some of most interesting movies of late are on in the wee hours of the morning.  Of course, many are "different" and that makes being able to fast forward also an advantage.

• Like 1

Thursday, Oct. 12th/13th--Second night of the George Pal tribute.  All times E.S.T.:

12:30 a.m. "The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao" (1964)--This one's not a horror film, it's more like a Fantasy/Western.  Tony Randall is excellent in the title role(s).

2:30 a.m. "Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze" (1975)--A Pal film I haven't seen.

surprised NO "War of the Worlds"??

:(

wotw1953.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I'm surprised no WAR OF THE WORLDS, his best movie imho.

I had forgotten to mention a heads up for TOM THUMB yesterday. In one of her very last roles, the incredible Jesse Matthews plays Tom's mother. A very small part with no singing or dancing, but still beautiful and a joy to see her.

And if you like 70's blacksploitation, I'll recommend the BLACULA movies playing tomorrow late night starring the overly pompous William Marshall (otherwise known as the King of Cartoons at PeeWee's Playhouse)

• Like 2

Tomorrow, Friday October 13.....

I haven't seen any of the Perkins movies: Five Miles to Midnight, Phaedra or Green Mansions.

GREEN MANSIONS meant well, I truly believe it did, but it's a rare DUD for Audrey- the fact that she did THE NUNS STORY the same year was possibly a career-saver.

And if you like 70's blacksploitation, I'll recommend the BLACULA movies playing tomorrow late night starring the overly pompous William Marshall (otherwise known as the King of Cartoons at PeeWee's Playhouse)

YES!

Watch for the scene in Scream Blacula Scream in which two street guys (can't say thugs anymore) tell Blacula they are going to kick his a** if he doesn't hand over his "bread."

• Like 1

Saturday, Oct. 14th/15th--TCM Underground; all times E.S.T.: Third recommendation for the "Blacula" films.

2:15 a.m. "Blacula" (1972)--From the trailer:  B ordering in a restaurant: "Make it a Bloody Mary".  Clueless brother to B: "Can I buy your cape, man?"

4:00 a.m. "Scream, Blacula Scream" (1973)--From the trailer: "He's Dracula's soul brother".  An irked B: "The name...is BLACULA!!"

TCM, for 2018's October Underground, would you please show "Abby" (1974), the Blacksploitation "The Exorcist" (1973)?  "Abby" also stars William Marshall.  Thanks.

Did anyone watch The Snake Woman? I didn't watch it today, but I've seen it. Low budget, creepy film set in the English countryside. A doctor treats his wife's mental illness by injecting her with snake venom. She's pregnant -- she dies giving birth, and the baby grows up to be: The Snake Woman!

There's an interesting old witch/hag in it as well, who knows what's what and says the baby must be destroyed, but no one believes her.

maxresdefault.jpg

51pik04kgnl.jpg?w=602&h=473

• Like 3

Connoisseurs of camp will not want to miss Sunday morning's A Lion Is in the Streets, which is the backwoods cousin to All the King's Men. Folkses (as Jimmy Cagney says in the movie, cuz that's how us Suthun folkses talk), you don't want to miss the scene where Anne Francis as the swamp gal Flamingo tries to feed Barbara Hale to the alligators.

Favorite line of dialogue:

Flamingo (as she spies Barbara Hale): "Who all's that?"

• Like 4

Connoisseurs of camp will not want to miss Sunday morning's A Lion Is in the Streets, which is the backwoods cousin to All the King's Men. Folkses (as Jimmy Cagney says in the movie, cuz that's how us Suthun folkses talk), you don't want to miss the scene where Anne Francis as the swamp gal Flamingo tries to feed Barbara Hale to the alligators.

Sunday, Oct 15, 12 PM ET.

Here's Laurette Luez's screen test (with Jimmy Cagney) for A Lion Is In The Streets. Luez was an exotic looking brunette who never made it big in Hollywood. I believe that the role she's trying out for here went to Anne Francis, instead.

For those who remember a long time poster on these boards called the Movie Professor he once told an anecdote here of being in a Hollywood nightclub during the '50s when he saw a glamourous Luez sweep into the place, with all eyes upon her. "Any producers here?" Moments like that may have been bigger for the actress than much of her film career, unfortunately (some may remember a pretty dire little 1950 "B" called Prehistoric Women, in which she was the cave woman lead, though she also had small parts in D.O.A., with Edmond O'Brien and Kim, with Errol Flynn).

• Like 2