Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM


Recommended Posts

A thread called "Yesterday Today and Tomorrow" is an example of a thread that is made ludicrous by having the oldest posts first. 

Maybe the name of the thread should be changed to "May 12, 2015."

 

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Swithin said:

A thread called "Yesterday Today and Tomorrow" is an example of a thread that is made ludicrous by having the oldest posts first. 

Maybe the name of the thread should be changed to "May 12, 2015."

 

Just click on the star or dot at the left of the name of the thread and it will take you to the last post.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Just click on the star or dot at the left of the name of the thread and it will take you to the last post.  

That may be possible, but it's not the most professional way to access new content, on better boards. By their new logic, the threads themselves should appear in the order in which they were created. It would be interesting to see what got dredged up, if they did that!

(Actually, I just checked. The first thread in General Discussions is What Film Has the Best Metaphor for Sex, created in February 2002 by a poster named Guest Steiner, Richard). 

Also, I think it's time for those threads that are pinned to the top in "General Discussions" to take their rightful place in chronological rotation. I mean the Robert Osborne tribute threads; the Challenge threads; and the How to post a photo thread, which is probably obsolete now anyhow. People who want to see those threads will find them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Swithin said:

That may be possible, but it's not the most professional way to access new content, on better boards. By their new logic, the threads themselves should appear in the order in which they were created. It would be interesting to see what got dredged up, if they did that!

(Actually, I just checked. The first thread in General Discussions is What Film Has the Best Metaphor for Sex, created in February 2002 by a poster named Guest Steiner, Richard). 

Also, I think it's time for those threads that are pinned to the top in "General Discussions" to take their rightful place in chronological rotation. I mean the Robert Osborne tribute threads; the Challenge threads; and the How to post a photo thread, which is probably obsolete now anyhow. People who want to see those threads will find them.

I agree with you about the order (I like newest on 'top'),  but it is my understanding that most chat sites display the way this site is now doing it;  (I only belong to one other chat site,  the jazz guitar forum and it is like this one is now).

As for the pinned;  I agree 100%.   A sub-forum should only be 'pinned' for a very limited time (say a month at most).     I can understand why the moderators would 'pin' certain sub-forums,  e.g. an announcement.   But otherwise,  I say the less 'pinned' sub-forums the better (GD has so many now that they take up over half a page).

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday, Oct. 26th: all times E.S.T.:

10:30 a.m. "Mockery" (1927)--Lon Chaney Sr. in the Russian Revolution.

5:30 p.m. "Balalaika" (1939)--MGM's version of Russian history features laughable plotting and dialogue, but fine singing by Nelson Eddy, adequate singing by Ilona Massey (half the time she struggles to be heard above the MGM orchestra).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday, October 27

Great double bill of definitive Anthony Perkins …

8 p.m.  Psycho (1960)

10:15 p.m.  Pretty Poison (1968)

Perhaps TCM will pick up the new Truffaut/Hitchcock film and 78/52 (2017) someday.  78/52 is an entire film devoted to analyzing the shower sequence in Psycho.  The shower sequence has been projected at frame-by-frame ultra slow speeds at art installations in the past too.

 
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, October 27

Great double bill of definitive Anthony Perkins …

8 p.m.  Psycho (1960)

10:15 p.m.  Pretty Poison (1968)

Perhaps TCM will pick up the new Truffaut/Hitchcock film and 78/52 (2017) someday.  78/52 is an entire film devoted to analyzing the shower sequence in Psycho.  The shower sequence has been projected at frame-by-frame ultra slow speeds at art installations in the past too.

 

I've seen Psycho a billion times, but with Halloween coming next week, I think another viewing is definitely in order. Is it wrong that my favorite part is when Vera Miles taps on the shoulder of "Mrs. Bates" and the skeleton face turns around and scares the crap out of her? The ending scene in the jail with the close-up on Perkins' face (with the quick flash of the superimposed skeleton face) with Mrs. Bates' voice-over is haunting.

I'm really looking forward to Pretty Poison.  I've heard a lot about this film.  I've got it set up on the DVR and hope to watch it tonight.  It'll be on at 7:15pm which will be the perfect time to watch this film.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, October 27

Great double bill of definitive Anthony Perkins …

8 p.m.  Psycho (1960)

10:15 p.m.  Pretty Poison (1968)

 

 

I'll add Fear Strikes Out (1957) at 2 a.m. Saturday morning. This was the first film I ever saw with Perkins. He is very effective as baseball player Jim Piersall (although he is lousy when he is actually playing ball). Karl Malden is hissable as the father who keeps driving Perkins to be better. Wooden Adam Williams is perfectly cast as Perkins' shrink. Great score by Elmer Bernstein.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday, Oct.27th/28th--One short film, and one feature: all times E.S.T.:

11:33 a.m. "Nostradamus IV" (1944)--"Nostradamus predicts the fate of dictators Mussolini and Hitler." (TCM's description).

Midnight. "The Champagne Murders" (1967)--Anthony Perkins film that sounds interesting. Click on the title on the online schedule, then click "Other Reviews", and read the New York Times review. Not a "don't go" or "must see" review, but somewhere in between.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a little early, but I notice that TCM is showing both House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows this Saturday from 4:15 PM ET to 8:00 PM ET. I bring this up because I saw an ad yesterday stating that the Decades channel will be showing a two-day marathon of the original Dark Shadows TV show. Fans of Barnabas Collins have a lot to enjoy.

I recommend The Brood (1979) on TCM Underground Saturday night at 2:00 AM. David Cronenberg directs Oliver Reed as a fringe therapist whose counseling causes Samantha Eggar to give birth to "rage babies" that go on killing sprees. Canadians make the wackiest comedies!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, film lover 293 said:

Friday, Oct.27th/28th--One short film, and one feature: all times E.S.T.:

11:33 a.m. "Nostradamus IV" (1944)--"Nostradamus predicts the fate of dictators Mussolini and Hitler." (TCM's description).

Basically wartime propaganda, ie. "Don't worry, he also predicted they'd be defeated, and he was never wrong!"

For further reading, check out James Randi's The Mask of Nostradamus, where he not only debunks most of the "prophecy" interpretations by believers as just plain boneheadedly wrong, but also analyzes them from the real-life biographical perspective that, since Nostradamus's family were Jews that had "converted" to Catholicism to avoid persecution, he may have been sending coded news bulletins and motivation to his fellow persecuted 15th-cty. French Protestant underground...

Randi was a pretty darn good skeptic, before he ruined it by coming Out.

51 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

LawrenceA

I recommend The Brood (1979) on TCM Underground Saturday night at 2:00 AM. David Cronenberg directs Oliver Reed as a fringe therapist whose counseling causes Samantha Eggar to give birth to "rage babies" that go on killing sprees. Canadians make the wackiest comedies!

I NEVER laugh at pre-Scanners Cronenberg.  (Or at least Cronenberg just up to and including "Dead Ringers", and yes, even the goofy "Friday the 13th: the Series" episode.)

Even "They Came From Within", as 70's-icky as it is on the backwaters of Amazon Prime, has a sneaky 70's-hi-rise singles metaphor for its day.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not seen The Champagne Murders or Fear Strikes Out and hope to record those Friday night.

Saturday has the 1951 Joseph Losey remake of M, which I love. Many great shots of downtown L.A., along with first-rate cinematography and a fine cast.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people are going to like Pretty Poison and I recommend it if you haven't seen it.  I saw it several years ago so I plan to see it again.  It didn't get a lot of buzz when it was first released but has become sort of a cult classic since then.

I love David Cronenberg's early horror and The Brood is pretty good.  I do wish TCM would run his mind-blowing They Came From Within, one of the best and most original horrors from that era.

There's a TCM promo for a restored The Old Dark House on Tuesday.  I've only seen a grainy print of this James Whale classic so I am really looking forward to seeing a good print.  Excellent cast.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sat., Oct. 28th; two Tod Browning favorites of mine and a second recommendation. All times E.S.T.:

6:15 a.m. "Mark of the Vampire" (1935)--Fast moving, atmospheric tale with Lionel Barrymore, Lionel Atwill, etc. hunting Bela Lugosi and co. in Europe. Check out the original trailer with Bela Lugosi on TCM's online schedule.

7:30 a.m. "The Devil-Doll" (1936)--Lionel Barrymore heads a dastardly scheme to get at his victims. Barrymore's a hoot in this one.

4:15 p.m. "House of Dark Shadows" (1970)--A second of LawrenceA's earlier recommendation of this one. It's a fun watch.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, film lover 293 said:

Sat., Oct. 28th; two Tod Browning favorites of mine and a second recommendation. All times E.S.T.:

6:15 a.m. "Mark of the Vampire" (1935)--Fast moving, atmospheric tale with Lionel Barrymore, Lionel Atwill, etc. hunting Bela Lugosi and co. in Europe. Check out the original trailer with Bela Lugosi on TCM's online schedule.

 

Here are three photos of Carrol Borland. At left is a college photo, center is for her screen test for Vampires of Prague (which was later changed to Mark of the Vampire) and right is how she appeared in the film.

Untitled.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday, Oct. 29th/30th--One favorite, the only Christopher Lee Dracula film I've missed, and a Japanese classic; all times E.S.T.:

8:00 p.m. "Taste the Blood of Dracula" (1970)--Christopher Lee's Dracula is back.

10:00 p.m. "Dracula A.D. 1972" (1972)--The only Lee Dracula film I haven't seen.

4:15 a.m. "Ugetsu" (1953)--Classic Japanese ghost story I haven't seen in a while.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2017 at 10:04 AM, speedracer5 said:

I've seen Psycho a billion times, but with Halloween coming next week, I think another viewing is definitely in order. Is it wrong that my favorite part is when Vera Miles taps on the shoulder of "Mrs. Bates" and the skeleton face turns around and scares the crap out of her? The ending scene in the jail with the close-up on Perkins' face (with the quick flash of the superimposed skeleton face) with Mrs. Bates' voice-over is haunting.

 

It's not wrong. It's a great part in a movie with so many great parts. I also love the part with the detective (Martin Balsam) on the stairs in the Bates house. 

Thanks for the suggestion for watching PSYCHO for Halloween. I've been watching a few things leading up to the holiday  Last night I saw CHILD'S PLAY (it cracks me up when the little boy tells his mother what Chuckie says about Aunt Maggie) and A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2: FREDDY'S REVENGE. I've also been watching the "Murder House" season of AMERICAN HORROR STORY and the DARK SHADOWS series from 1991 as well as the Halloween episodes of BEWITCHED.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday, Oct. 30th; Looks like "Better Dead Than Red" day, Trailblazing Women at night. All times E.S.T.:

8:15 a.m. "The Whip Hand" (1951)--Director was William Cameron Menzies, so this should be interesting for its' visuals, if nothing else. Maltin dislikes it, which is another reason I'm going to watch.

12:45 p.m. "Big Jim McLain" (1952)--The Duke versus Commies in Hawaii. I've been told this is a must-see camp film, so I'm watching.

8:00 p.m. "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" (1921)--The silent is vastly better than the 1963 sound version. Watch for the tango scene; it catapulted Rudolph Valentino to stardom. But other than that, it's rather a grim watch.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with The Whip Hand is that after principal photography was completed, Howard Hughes (I think it was him) had the idea to make the bad guys be not Nazis, but Communists.  They had to redo some scenes and add others which makes the thing a mess.

Big Jim McLain isn't as bad as it's made out to be; more like a sub-par episode of Hawaii Five-O.  If Wayne had been portrayed as working for the Kefauver Commission investigating Mob influence in interstate commerce, I think the movie wouldn't have the reputation it does.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...