Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

The letters on my keyboard are fading and so am I.

No kidding!  Talk about beginning a complaint with, "They can put a man on the moon, but....".  I got a new computer in May of this year and several keys look dingy and faded on my keyboard compared to lesser-used ones.  By this time next year, I could see myself buying 'white-out' or some other kind of liquid paper product to restore the disappearing candidates.  -_-

16 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, December 24/25

6bcaf67e8ddad81bb62f4626dcbef72d--billie

12:15 a.m.  The Cheaters (1945).  This has pretty good reviews and I’ve never seen it.

Absolutely worth it. It's a Republic picture that TCM got the rights to about 9 or 10 years ago. I still have a DVD copy I burned with Robert O introducing the only time it ever played before.  I still haven't figured out why Olive Films, which seems to have the rights to the entire Republic catalog, has not released this one yet.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, midwestan said:

No kidding!  Talk about beginning a complaint with, "They can put a man on the moon, but....".  I got a new computer in May of this year and several keys look dingy and faded on my keyboard compared to lesser-used ones.  By this time next year, I could see myself buying 'white-out' or some other kind of liquid paper product to restore the disappearing candidates.  -_-

I had this problem, as well. I bought a set of keyboard letter stickers on eBay which are safety yellow in the background instead of the usual black, and they work wonderfully. I haven't had one peel off yet. You can even see the keyboard in low light.

• Like 1

See, I'm a touch typist so I never have this problem.

Well, not in English.  When I try to type anything in Russian I have to remember where the layout designer put the letters that don't correspond to similar sounds in English. :)  And some of the accent marks can be a pain, too.

21 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I haven't seen this one, but it's about Roller Derby. Fredric Milstein of the L.A. Times gave it a positive review, despite writing that the film "reels of sleaziness, sluttishness, squalor, stupidity, violence both pseudo and real" and mentions a "nude-except-for-skates after-practice encounter at mid-oval." Sounds like a winner to me.

"reels of sleaziness, sluttishness, squalor, stupidity, violence both pseudo and real" and mentions a "nude-except-for-skates after-practice encounter at mid-oval."

This sounds like it features all my favorite qualities in a film.  Nudity isn't typically an incentive for me to watch a movie, but if it is just random and serves no purpose, then it can be more funny than anything.  This sounds like it'll fit into that category. This also sounds like one of those "so bad, it's good" movies or maybe it'll just be flat out bad, lol.  We'll see.  I've got it set up on the DVR.

Bittersweet Love: 27-DEC-17 03:45 PM EST (1976)
Synopsis:A newly married and pregnant young couple discover that they are half-siblings.
Cast: Lana Turner, Robert Lansing, Celeste Holm.
Dir: David Miller.

My comment:Yikes!! I have to admit the prurient subject matter of this thing makes me at least want to watch the beginning. This was made in the 70s yet I've never heard of it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, December 27

zero-mostel.jpg

9:45 p.m.  The Front (1976).  Featuring a great performance by Zero Mostel.

And one of the most effective castings of Woody Allen. I used to think of this as one of Allen's best creations until I realized he was only an actor in it.

• Like 1

For Wednesday morning: those interested in costumes should check out Diane, one of MGM's last big costume dramas. Walter Plunkett outdoes himself designing spectacular gowns for Lana Turner, who plays Diane de Poitiers. Those who watch will also see the young and handsome Roger Moore, as well as a fine performance by Marisa Pavan as Catherine de Medici.

I'll also be taping By Love Possessed and The Prodigal, which I haven't seen.

6 hours ago, calvinnme said:

Bittersweet Love: 27-DEC-17 03:45 PM EST (1976)
Synopsis:A newly married and pregnant young couple discover that they are half-siblings.
Cast: Lana Turner, Robert Lansing, Celeste Holm.
Dir: David Miller.

My comment:Yikes!! I have to admit the prurient subject matter of this thing makes me at least want to watch the beginning. This was made in the 70s yet I've never heard of it.

TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/19805/Bittersweet-Love/articles.html

:)

8 hours ago, TomJH said:

And one of the most effective castings of Woody Allen. I used to think of this as one of Allen's best creations until I realized he was only an actor in it.

Not usually a Woody Allen fan (only film I liked of his was Annie Hall), but having watched this I have to say this was quite a great film to watch.

Zero Mostel was great as usual, turning in a heartfelt performance.

On 12/27/2017 at 5:41 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday December 28

Rounders1965.88696_102520130221.jpg

2:45 p.m.  The Rounders (1965).  Modern western with Glen Ford and Henry Fonda.  Not seen this one.

Not a bad little film, Bogie, and there are a few laughs to be found in this movie filmed right here in picturesque Sedona AZ...

therounders05.png

19 hours ago, Dargo said:

Not a bad little film, Bogie, and there are a few laughs to be found in this movie filmed right here in picturesque Sedona AZ...

therounders05.png

I've been to Sedona.  You are one lucky, dude Dargo.

• Thanks 1

Today it seemed like the theme was "Films calvinnme has seen 100 times but will always watch again." I've always loved Nora Prentiss, the worst possible outcome in a noir with absolutely nobody having any ill intent. Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex - that slap Queen Bette gives Errol looks real! The Strawberry Blonde - will James Cagney or won't James Cagney murder the guy who ruined his life. The trick - He's a dentist here not a gangster. Adventures of Robin Hood - great Errol Flynn adventure. Mildred Pierce - Warner Bros. seemed to have a much better idea of how to cast Joan Crawford than MGM ever did. The Beast with Five Fingers - a role Peter Lorre was born to play. And tonight three of my favorites - Jules and Jim, Night of the Living Dead,  and Apollo 13. I never cared for Thoroughly Modern Millie because 60s films don't do the 60s that well, much less the jazz age.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, calvinnme said:

Today it seemed like the theme was "Films calvinnme has seen 100 times but will always watch again." I've always loved Nora Prentiss, the worst possible outcome in a noir with absolutely nobody having any ill intent. Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex - that slap Queen Bette gives Errol looks real! The Strawberry Blonde - will James Cagney or won't James Cagney murder the guy who ruined his life. The trick - He's a dentist here not a gangster. Adventures of Robin Hood - great Errol Flynn adventure. Mildred Pierce - Warner Bros. seemed to have a much better idea of how to cast Joan Crawford than MGM ever did. The Beast with Five Fingers - a role Peter Lorre was born to play. And tonight three of my favorites - Jules and Jim, Night of the Living Dead,  and Apollo 13. I never cared for Thoroughly Modern Millie because 60s films don't do the 60s that well, much less the jazz age.

I believe Bette Davis really did slap Errol Flynn in Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex.  Errol states in his autobiography that when they were rehearsing the scene, Bette was supposed to act like she was hitting him and her hand was supposed to graze the side of his nose, so that on camera, it'd look like she hit him.  However, when it came time to shoot the scene, Bette slapped Errol across the face.  He stated that she was wearing these big jeweled rings on her fingers and it was those rings that inflicted the most pain.  The angry look on Errol's face after Bette's slap was genuine.  I believe they re-shot the scene and the second time, Bette did do her fake slap, but of course they used the first take. 

• Like 1

Sunday, December 31

There are some good new year’s films today

27043606182_316b2b6d89.jpg

1:15 p.m.  The Time Machine (1960).  With the recently departed Rod Taylor and Alan Young.

Poseidon+Adventure+band.jpg

5:45 p.m.  The Poseidon Adventure (1972).  I guess the groovy band went down with the ship.

But I may just watch my copy of Anna Magnani's The Passionate Thief (1960).  Anna and Toto go in search of a New Year's party in Rome.