Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Thursday, July 16

3:30 p.m.  The Return of Doctor X (1939).  A very strange Bogart picture.

Bogie has one of the best entrances -- pale, white, holding a white rabbit.

Return-Of-Doctor-X.jpg

• Like 1

Pale, white and holding a rabbit.  Doesn't get much better than that.

Lydecker

The scene in which the rabbit is brought back to life is very intricate, with all sorts of tubes, glass structures, and bubbling chemicals. I saw an interview with the director, Vincent Sherman, in which the interviewer asks about that scene. (I guess the interviewer thought that careful research must have been gone into how to bring a dead rabbit back to life.) When the interviewer asks Sherman if a lot of thought went into composing that scene, Sherman replied "No. I just called the prop man and said, I gotta bring a rabbit back to life. Bring me a lot of stuff."

3:30 p.m.  The Return of Doctor X (1939).  A very strange Bogart picture.

Been dying to see this ever since I heard of it's existence. 1939 was a wild year for Bogart- an outlaw gunslinger, an Irish stable hand, a mad vampire zombie doctor. The man did it all.

• Like 2

Been dying to see this ever since I heard of it's existence. 1939 was a wild year for Bogart- an outlaw gunslinger, an Irish stable hand, a mad vampire zombie doctor. The man did it all.

1939 was a busy year for Bogie and he was in seven films released that year.   In 2 of these he was the lead male actor; King of the Underworld with Kay Francis and You Can't Get Away with Murder with dead-end Billy Halop.   In both of these Bogie played his typical gangster role.

Two films with Cagney,  one really good one;  The Roaring Twenties where he is a gangster yet again and The Oklahoma Kid where both Cagney and Bogie are miscast in this flat western.   

Dark Victory the 'can't take your eyes away' Bette Davis film,  where Bogie does a weak Irish accent.   Than there was Invisible Stripes,  known today mainly because it is one of the first William Holden films.   Bogie is again a gangster but he is a lot more interesting than George Raft in this so-so film.   

Then there is Doctor X.    A 62 minutes B picture with Wayne Morris as the leading male star.  

Dark Victory the 'can't take your eyes away' Bette Davis film,  where Bogie does a weak Irish accent. 

I think I've admitted before that he was my favorite thing about that film. They (you know who) really shouldn't make actors attempt accents that aren't their own, but then if they didn't we wouldn't have such precious moments as that.

Edit: Wait, did you say Bogie isn't the star of The Return of Dr. X? Figures. They (again) always have to have some bore of a leading man interfering with the plan.

I think I've admitted before that he was my favorite thing about that film. They (you know who) really shouldn't make actors attempt accents that aren't their own, but then if they didn't we wouldn't have such precious moments as that.

Edit: Wait, did you say Bogie isn't the star of The Return of Dr. X? Figures. They (again) always have to have some bore of a leading man interfering with the plan.

Yes,  Bogie receive second billing to Wayne Morris.     Also Rosemary Lane was in the film,  my least favorite of the talented Lane sisters.

As for Dark Victory;   Well my favorite thing in that film, other than Davis's going blind and dying scene,  is watching Reagan as a drunk.

• Like 1

Friday, July 17

2 p.m.  Cause For Alarm (1951.  I enjoyed this Loretta Young film the last time that I saw it.  Time to record it.

8 p.m.  Too Late For Tears (1949).  Never seen this one from Byron Haskin.  With Lizabeth Scott, Dan Duryea, Arthur Kennedy and Don DeFore.

Saturday, July 18

5:15 p.m.  Lolita (1961), "Light of my life, fire of my ...".  Featuring two Oscar worthy performances by James Mason and Shelley Winters.

2 a.m.  Equinox (1970)?   Wasn’t this originally supposed to be Alice, Sweet Alice (1976) which looked way more interesting?  Wha’ ‘appened?

2 a.m.  Equinox (1970)?   Wasn’t this originally supposed to be Alice, Sweet Alice (1976) which looked way more interesting?  Wha’ ‘appened?

I don't know about Alice, Sweet Alice, but Equinox was recently shown and I happened to catch the end of it... and it probably isn't worth it to see the whole thing, I don't know, but what I saw was joyously stupid. Don't take this as a recommendation, though- this isn't the sort of film that benefits from such things.

(P.S, in one year and one day you will be DEEAAAD!!)

• Like 1

Saturday, July 18

5:15 p.m.  Lolita (1961), "Light of my life, fire of my ...".  Featuring two Oscar worthy performances by James Mason and Shelley Winters.

As a habitual horror film-goer in my youth, I saw both Equinox (which is fairly dull) and Alice, Sweet Alice, which was called Holy Terror when I saw it and which was quite enjoyable.

• Like 1

As a habitual horror film-goer in my youth, I saw both Equinox (which is fairly dull) and Alice, Sweet Alice, which was called Holy Terror when I saw it and which was quite enjoyable.

I wonder why Alice, Sweet, Alice was bumped?  Has TCM ever had it on before?

So many questions!

I wonder why Alice, Sweet, Alice was bumped?  Has TCM ever had it on before?

So many questions!

I don't think it has ever been on. The film deals with kids and religion in a rather nasty (but fun, and appropriate for horror) way. Maybe someone at TCM screened it and got nervous. There's a pretty good plot summary on Wikipedia. Btw, Alice was not very sweet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice,_Sweet_Alice

Here's an excerpt:

"The murder scenes in the film in particular have been described by genre scholars as "stark and shocking," and noted for their use of "powerful imagery" correlating with the film's religious overtones. Catholic iconography is featured prominently throughout the film, including votive candles, crucifixes, and rosaries, as well as artistic depictions of the Virgin Mary in sculptures and paintings."

Bummer. I was really looking forward to that one. It's reputed to be one of those ahead of its time entries - unjustly unnoticed, except by anyone who saw it. By those few, apparently, it's well remembered.

Sunday, July 19th: all times E.S.T.

8:00 p.m."Metropolis"--(1926)--Fritz Langs' silent masterpiece of German Expressionism.  Unforgettable visuals & a semi-prophetic theme about technology dehumanizing mankind.  The 149 minute version is listed--the one Maltin gives 4 stars.

12:45 a.m.--"Spione"--(1928)--According to TCM's review page, this one hasn't been shown since 2010.  A excellent Lang silent thriller that deserves to be seen.  Some plot points might have been borrowed by Hitchcock for North by Northwest?

• Like 1

Sunday, July 19th: all times E.S.T.

8:00 p.m."Metropolis"--(1926)--Fritz Langs' silent masterpiece of German Expressionism.  Unforgettable visuals & a semi-prophetic theme about technology dehumanizing mankind.  The 149 minute version is listed--the one Maltin gives 4 stars.

12:45 a.m.--"Spione"--(1928)--According to TCM's review page, this one hasn't been shown since 2010.  A excellent Lang silent thriller that deserves to be seen.  Some plot points might have been borrowed by Hitchcock for North by Northwest?

I already have my friend's "Metropolis" DVD in front of my player ready to go.  Second and third your nomination!

• Like 1

12:45 a.m.--"Spione"--(1928)--According to TCM's review page, this one hasn't been shown since 2010.

It was shown more recently than that for Silent Sunday. (I've not been a regular TCM viewer for that long.) It's definitely one film that I'll have to see again at least once to feel like I've actually seen it. Interesting, but heavy-going.

I do wish that, when TCM felt it necessary to push back SS by 45 minutes, they'd be able to find a silent feature that didn't push back Imports by an additional 30...

• Like 2

Sunday, July 19/20

12:45 a.m.  Fritz Lang’s Spione (1928)!

3:15 a.m.  Young Torless (1966).  The film everyone has been waiting to see.  The 63 year-old Tor Johnson received some of the worst reviews of his career when he played the teenage, Torless in this Volker Schlondorff film.  Maybe TCM has been listening to the Tor Johnson campaign.

• Like 2

Sunday, July 19/20

12:45 a.m.  Fritz Lang’s Spione (1928)!

3:15 a.m.  Young Torless (1966).  The film everyone has been waiting to see.  The 63 year-old Tor Johnson received some of the worst reviews of his career when he played the teenage, Torless in this Volker Schlondorff film.  Maybe TCM has been listening to the Tor Johnson campaign.

I thought you were joking!  You're right - our voices have been heard. 

00314215-412338_300.jpg?k=b4a4bb97&pid=3

Sunday, July 19/20

What?

Tor Johnson actually received bad reviews for hs work in YOUNG TÖRLESS?

Those reviewers were definitely just haters.

He was so utterly convincing as a teenager and completely transformed himself into that role.

He was credited in that movie as Mathieu Carrière, and if I didn't know better I would have sworn it was indeed a completely different actor rather than Tor Johnson ----- just as I would have swown that Pandora Spocks and Elizabeth Montgomery were two distinct individuals.

• Like 1

What?

Tor Johnson actually received bad reviews for hs work in YOUNG TÖRLESS?

Those reviewers were definitely just haters.

He was so utterly convincing as a teenager and completely transformed himself into that role.

He was credited in that movie as Mathieu Carrière, and if I didn't know better I would have sworn it was indeed a completely different actor rather than Tor Johnson ----- just as I would have swown that Pandora Spocks and Elizabeth Montgomery were two distinct individuals.

I couldn't agree with you more.  What do the critics know?  Bah!

• Like 1

Monday, July 20

6 p.m.  Brainstorm (1983).  I recorded this on the TCM HD station when it aired a few weeks ago which was a disaster.  After the head credits the picture looked the size of a postage stamp in the middle of my set.  I think this was because of the special film format Douglas Trumball was using.  It may look better in SD which I have the option of using with my cable provider.

2:30 a.m.  That Hagen Girl (1947).  Ronnie Raygun and Shirley Dimple.  Haven’t seen this one.