Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

On 2/28/2018 at 7:33 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

tomorrow morning's got a fair enough line-up:

6:00 AM Crowd, The (1928)

7:45 AM Smilin' Through (1932)

9:30 AM drama Stage Door (1937)

11:15 AM Double Indemnity (1944)

THE CROWD, STAGE DOOR and DOUBLE INDEMNITY all are the ACTUAL Best Pictures of the years they were released, SMILIN THRU is a curiosity- probably one of the least known Best Picture nominees along with CHANG and SKIPPY.

How was Eleanor Boardman not nominated for best actress for The Crowd? Is it because  they were only nominated for their cumulative work in a specific year and she only made two films in 1928? Pity; she was wonderful in the film.

Saturday, March 3

tumblr_o5ztg0FM4z1tp2txlo1_500.gif

11:30 a.m.  Mutiny on the Bounty (1962).  If you catch the bug you might want to book a holiday at The Brando Island Hotel.  The BBC just did an hour behind-the-scenes show on this amazing paradise.  It may turn up on youtube.  Meanwhile ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, sagebrush said:

How was Eleanor Boardman not nominated for best actress for The Crowd? Is it because  they were only nominated for their cumulative work in a specific year and she only made two films in 1928? Pity; she was wonderful in the film.

Only Janet Gaynor was nominated for multiple films for Best Actress that year.  Gloria Swanson and Louise Dresser were nominated for one film each.  The real mystery for anyone who has seen it is how Dresser, in what amounts to an unmemorable supporting role, was nominated for A Ship Comes In.  Boardman would've been more than a worthy replacement for Dresser.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Fedya said:

Anybody with taste prefers the 1935 Mutiny on the Bounty:D

I know I do. 

The 1935 movie may not have been all that truthful to what really happened on the Bounty but Gable, Laughton and Franchot Tone all turned in great performances that it's forgivable.

My main problem with the 1962 version is that Brando's Fletcher Christian is nearly as unlikable as Bligh himself. 

Neither Trevor Howard nor Anthony Hopkins (Bligh in 1984's THE BOUNTY) even came close to Laughton's dynamic turn as Bligh.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Neither Trevor Howard nor Anthony Hopkins (Bligh in 1984's THE BOUNTY) even came close to Laughton's dynamic turn as Bligh.

Still, the "twist" of Hopkins' version was that Bligh wasn't a paper tyrant, but a puritanical loyal-Navy man, who had poor management style, blamed too easily, and put too much faith in the Discipline Builds Character ethic of His Majesty's Navy to fairly gauge his jack-tar crew.

The '35 Bligh is Laughton's most iconic role, but it's the dumbing-down of studio Hollywood to say that Christian was the "hero" because he was Clark Gable, so Laughton was the "villain".

Sunday, March 4

DaughteroftheDragon2.jpg

Anna May Wong night.

8 p.m.  Daughter of the Dragon (1931).  Fu Manchu film with Wong, Warner Oland and Sessue Hayakawa.  I haven’t seen this one.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, EricJ said:

Still, the "twist" of Hopkins' version was that Bligh wasn't a paper tyrant, but a puritanical loyal-Navy man, who had poor management style, blamed too easily, and put too much faith in the Discipline Builds Character ethic of His Majesty's Navy to fairly gauge his jack-tar crew.

The '35 Bligh is Laughton's most iconic role, but it's the dumbing-down of studio Hollywood to say that Christian was the "hero" because he was Clark Gable, so Laughton was the "villain".

THE BOUNTY probably is the most faithful version of what really happened on the Bounty (still found it a dull film though), but I understand that the real Bligh had other mutinies after that.

Bligh may not have been the tyrant that he was portrayed as in the 1935 and 1962 versions, but apparently he really wasn't a people person. 

3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

THE BOUNTY probably is the most faithful version of what really happened on the Bounty (still found it a dull film though), but I understand that the real Bligh had other mutinies after that.

Bligh may not have been the tyrant that he was portrayed as in the 1935 and 1962 versions, but apparently he really wasn't a people person. 

Also, there's the theory that Fletcher Christian's family was well connected with the nobility and working-stiff Bligh's wasn't, so the family saw to it that the book account was skewed to be a "justifiable" mutiny, to keep from blackening Christian's reputation.

• Thanks 1

Monday, March 5/6

Unfortunately my pick of the day when the schedule was announced has been pulled … 2 a.m.  Pressure Point (1962).  With Sidney Poitier and Bobby Darin. 

I’ll go with 

rawImage.jpg

4 a.m.  Through a  Glass Darkly (1961).  Ingmar Bergman classic with Harriet Andersson.

God Is a Spider.

• Like 1

Tuesday, March 6

alice-brady-madge-evans-una-merkel-beaut

8:45 a.m.  Beauty For Sale (1933).  With Madge Evans.

Wednesday, March 7

peter-ustinov-quo-vadis-1951-BP9WJM.jpg

8:15 a.m.  Quo Vadis (1951).  Peter Ustinov puts on a good show in this one.  See the tears?

12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, March 7

peter-ustinov-quo-vadis-1951-BP9WJM.jpg

8:15 a.m.  Quo Vadis (1951).  Peter Ustinov puts on a good show in this one.  See the tears?

Quo Vadis is really a strange film. I find some of the performances (like Ustinov's) very hammy, and Robert Taylor is stiff as usual. Deborah Kerr looks stunning, however. The real shame is that Miklos Rozsa's score was dubbed at such a low level that it is very difficult for viewers to appreciate what a fine piece of scoring this is. The Prelude is magnificent, and the love theme for Marcus and Lygia is one of Rozsa's loveliest compositions. As a bit of trivia, Miklos composed a march ("Hail Galba") which is heard when the troops are advancing toward Rome. Rozsa later used this same march in Ben-Hur, at the conclusion of the chariot race. Lovers of film scores should get their hands on the soundtrack.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Quo Vadis is really a strange film. I find some of the performances (like Ustinov's) very hammy, and Robert Taylor is stiff as usual. Deborah Kerr looks stunning, however. The real shame is that Miklos Rozsa's score was dubbed at such a low level that it is very difficult for viewers to appreciate what a fine piece of scoring this is. The Prelude is magnificent, and the love theme for Marcus and Lygia is one of Rozsa's loveliest compositions. As a bit of trivia, Miklos composed a march ("Hail Galba") which is heard when the troops are advancing toward Rome. Rozsa later used this same march in Ben-Hur, at the conclusion of the chariot race. Lovers of film scores should get their hands on the soundtrack.

I agree on the haminess of some of the performances (like Ustinov's) but I like the movie just the same.

Being ham isn't always a bad thing, when it's not being overdone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/3/2018 at 7:09 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, March 4

DaughteroftheDragon2.jpg

Anna May Wong night.

8 p.m.  Daughter of the Dragon (1931).  Fu Manchu film with Wong, Warner Oland and Sessue Hayakawa.  I haven’t seen this one.

Sessue Hayakawa - HOT!  Anna May - gorgeous as always.  I loved her robes in this one.

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OH gOD, THE COBWEB (1956) is coming on tonight at 8:00 pm (eastern)

i put it to you that there has never been a better cast (minus John Kerr) in a worse film.

Boring movie and boring book. Major plotline centered on designing drapes.

On 3/6/2018 at 8:35 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

OH gOD, THE COBWEB (1956) is coming on tonight at 8:00 pm (eastern)

i put it to you that there has never been a better cast (minus John Kerr) in a worse film.

That's for sure!! I actually watched part of it last night. Truly awful. But like a trainwreck, it's hard to look away. Poor Lillian Gish and her drapes! Definitely a career low point for her. Luckily, she had Night of the Hunter out around the same time period..........

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, March 8

MV5BZWRiMGU4NDktZjlkOS00ZTY5LWI3ZGEtZjA5

8 a.m.  The Wet Parade (1932).  With two favourites: Walter Huston and Myrna Loy.

I was just reading about this pre-code and it looks really intense.  Thanks for the reminder.  In fact, tomorrow morning's lineup looks like films dealing with alcoholism.

I'll have to watch something tonight, so I have room to record this. Haven't heard of this film! There is an early Bette Davis film (pre-WB) on later in the day too, I'd like to record..... So glad Oscar month is history!!!

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, March 8

8 a.m.  The Wet Parade (1932).  With two favourites: Walter Huston and Myrna Loy.

21 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I'll have to watch something tonight, so I have room to record this. Haven't heard of this film! There is an early Bette Davis film (pre-WB) on later in the day too, I'd like to record..... So glad Oscar month is history!!!

Thanks, you two, for mentioning movies that I want to record but didn't have listed since I didn't know those stars were in them: The Wet Parade with Myrna Loy and Way Back Home with Bette Davis.

I'm also recording Step by Step (1946) late night tonight, and Too Much Too Soon (1958) tomorrow.

These are the first recordings I've made in over a month.