Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

2:30 a.m. That Hagen Girl (1947). Ronnie Raygun and Shirley Dimple. Haven’t seen this one.[/font]

Now that is strange that that one gets a graveyard slot...that film was a life changer for Shirley. Shouldve been on at 8:00 pm.

I recommend "Penelope."  It is showing tomorrow as part of the Natalie Wood birthday tribute.  It is a lesser known Wood film.  I saw it last year and really enjoyed it.  Wood is charming and the film features great 1960s fashions.  It is a shame that this film is not available on DVD.

• Like 1

I recommend "Penelope."  It is showing tomorrow as part of the Natalie Wood birthday tribute.  It is a lesser known Wood film.  I saw it last year and really enjoyed it.  Wood is charming and the film features great 1960s fashions.  It is a shame that this film is not available on DVD.

I second speedracer's recommendation of PENELOPE.

Here's a clip of Natalie Wood wearing (and Edith Head discussing) the costumes in PENELOPE:

• Like 1

Tuesday, July 21

6:30 a.m.  Star of Midnight (1935).  A William Powell that I have not seen yet.

1:45 p.m.  Two O’clock Coverage (1945).  An amnesia film by Anthony Mann with Tom Conway.  Mustn’t forget to record this one.

• Like 1

Wednesday, July 22

6:15 a.m.  20,000 Years In Sing Sing.  Not as good as its title might suggest but hey, they aren’t making any more Bette Davis films these days.

4 p.m.  The Men of Boys Town (1941).  Looks like it could be a stinker but it is a Spencer Tracy film that I haven’t seen yet.

8 p.m.  Gilda (1946).  If anyone missed it the other two dozen times it was on in the past few months now’s your chance to see it.

• Like 1

All times E.S.T.

8:00 p.m.--"Gilda"--(1946)--A must-see if you've never seen it

12:30 a.m.--"The Women"--(1939)--Classic comedy--Rosalind Russell, Joan Crawford, Paulette Goddard, & Mary Boland are delights--Joan Fontaine is a wet blanket--but film is great fun despite her.

3:00 a.m.--The Opposite Sex (1956)--Dreadful musical remake of "The Women" (1939)--should be a delight, but So isn't.  Stay up & hear Delores Gray belt out the title tune over the opening credits--you have heard & seen the film's highlight--watch anymore--don't say you weren't warned.

• Like 1

I second (or third?) the nominations for Gilda! That is a great movie.  One of my absolute favorites.  Rita Hayworth is the whole reason for watching it.  I absolutely love it.

I also agree with Film Lover's nomination of The Women.  This is such a fun film, with such a great cast. 

I first saw Mannequin on the schedule and was excited and then was disappointed when I saw it wasn't the Mannequin from 1987 with Kim Cattrall and Andrew McCarthy ::sigh::

I'm personally recording The Women (to see it again) and Keeper of the Flame, because it's one of the Hepburn/Tracy films that I haven't seen. 

On Thursday, I recommend Tomorrow is Forever with Claudette Colbert, Orson Welles and a young Natalie Wood.

• Like 1

Thursday, July 23

8 p.m.  The Big Broadcast of 1936 (1935).   Somehow, I’ve missed this one before.

9:45 p.m.  Lambchops (1929).  Another of July’s programming gems.  This short subject has the first screen appearances of Burns and Allen.

Our American Cousins can skip this ...

**********HOLD THE PRESS*************  Not in Canada, you say?  What gives with that?  If I donated a nickel to TCM would that be enough to secure the rights to this one?

1:45 a.m.  Honolulu (1939).  Sounds like a cheesy guilty pleasure but I’m still smarting from the late substitution of Lambchops!!!!!!!

Just in case any of you wonder tomorrow night where my picks for Friday are, I'm posting them now.  Sorry, but I don't have a 'What's the Knucklehead Up to Now' thread otherwise I would say that I am going to be away from my computer!  Like you all would want to know, anyway.

Friday, July 24

6:45 a.m.  Roadblock (1951).  A Charles McGraw noir that I haven’t seen.

1:45 p.m.  Kansas City Confidential (1952).  Another noir I haven’t seen.

8 p.m.  The Narrow Margin (1952).  Recommended for those who haven’t seen this one.  With Charles McGraw and Marie Windsor.

Bogie56--it's on the U.S. schedule too---So--time is E.S.T.

You decide:

1:45 a.m.--"Honolulu"--(1939)--Eleanor Powell tap dances, and George & Gracie get 3rd & 4th billing.

I first saw Mannequin on the schedule and was excited and then was disappointed when I saw it wasn't the Mannequin from 1987 with Kim Cattrall and Andrew McCarthy ::sigh::

MANNEQUIN is such a fun movie.

And let's not forget the fun song "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by Starship that is featured in MANNEQUIN.

As Grace Slick says, uh sings: "Let 'em say we're crazy ." 

Burns and Allen day tomorrow? Hooray! I recommend A Damsel in Distress (1937), the first film Fred Astaire made after being surgically separated from Ginger. Clearly not knowing how to handle the situation, George and Gracie were hired to replace her as his dancing partner(s). That's only one of strange things that make this an especially enjoyable movie; the P. G. Wodehouse supporting characters are another.

This movie doesn't feature the same dance virtuosity as the films Fred made with Ginger, perhaps, but with the flux of comedy and idiosyncratic musical numbers, performed with surprising aptitude by George and Gracie, this is more fun than ever. Plus, it closes with one amazing number from Fred that makes for what the film lacked in dance otherwise: his performance of Nice Work If You Can Get It on a drum set done in one stupendous take!

• Like 2

Sorry, but I don't have a 'What's the Knucklehead Up to Now' thread

lol  smiley-talk024.gif

• Like 1

And noteworthy because it is the film on which she met future husband Robert Taylor, and the only time they costarred with the exception of the awful 1964 film THE NIGHTWALKER.

Stanwyck and Taylor did a film at 20th Century Fox in 1937, as.their relationship was getting plenty of coverage in the fan magazines, so the studio decided.to cash in and titled it THIS IS MY AFFAIR. Alice Faye was.to have starred.originally, but I think she bowed out due to iloness. TIMA is quite gooe, and sometimes on FMC.

Did anyone catch the Burns & Allen debut short, Lampchops (1929)?

• Like 1

Saturday, July 25

8:15 a.m.  Skippy (1931).  Kudos to TCM for playing this rare film.  

2 a.m.  Vanishing Point (1971).  Pretty good auto chase flick with Barry Newman.

Did anyone catch the Burns & Allen debut short, Lampchops (1929)?

Oh yes, and it was adorable. Before seeing this I'd heard the song done by Janet Klein and her Parlor Boys, with all the same jokes, too. Didn't know where it came from, but I was aware she was putting on a Gracie impression. Wasn't as good as the real thing, of course. I'm not sure why it wouldn't get shown in Canada, seeing as how it's probably public domain. Heck, here it even is on YT, though you've probably seen it before, anyhow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jUplYQo9Xg

• Like 3

Oh yes, and it was adorable. Before seeing this I'd heard the song done by Janet Klein and her Parlor Boys, with all the same jokes, too. Didn't know where it came from, but I was aware she was putting on a Gracie impression. Wasn't as good as the real thing, of course. I'm not sure why it wouldn't get shown in Canada, seeing as how it's probably public domain. Heck, here it even is on YT, though you've probably seen it before, anyhow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jUplYQo9Xg

Thanks a bunch Kay,

That is indeed delightful.

Bogie

Sunday, July 26

9:30 a.m.  Roberta (1935).  Never seen this Irene Dunne and Fred and Ginger film.

12:15 a.m.  The Phantom Carriage (1922).  Notan wrote a glowing review of this film in The Phantom Carriage thread.  I’ve been wanting to see this one for quite a while.  I recently watched He Who Gets Slapped with Lon Chaney which was very good.  It was also directed by Victor Sjostrom.

2:15 a.m.  Cria Cuervos (1976).  I was just about to buy this Carlos Saura film on Amazon when I saw it programmed here.

• Like 1

I recommend For Me and My Gal, which is airing in the wee hours tomorrow morning (3am PST).  This film stars Gene Kelly and Judy Garland.  It is Gene Kelly's film debut.  Kelly has said that he was grateful to Garland who was 19 at the time and starring in her first "adult" role.  Garland, a showbiz veteran by the time this film was made, showed Kelly the ropes of filmmaking and helped him adjust his theater style to one more suited of the small screen.  She also supported Kelly in his arguments with director Busby Berkeley, whom she did not like.  Kelly and Garland have a great rapport in this film and in their two subsequent films together-- The Pirate and Summer Stock

• Like 1

Sunday, July 26

9:30 a.m.  Roberta (1935).  Never seen this Irene Dunne and Fred and Ginger film.

Roberta is a gem of a film. The cast is lovely, particularly Irene Dunne singing "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes." Great music, interesting plot, Spoiler: Irene Dunne's rendition of the beautiful song "Yesterdays" as Aunt Minnie (the eponymous "Roberta") played by the always wonderful Helen Westley, dies peacefully is a moving scene.

The movie is based on a musical which played at NY's New Amsterdam theater in 1933-34, starring Tamara, Faye Templeton, Lyda Roberti, Bob Hope, Sydney Greenstreet, George Murphy, Ray Middleton, and Fred MacMurray. The song "Lovely to Look At" was not in the show. It was written for the movie and earned an Oscar nomination. Roberta was remade as the 1952 film Lovely to Look At, another Irene Dunne/Jerome Kern film remade with inferior results, like Show Boat.

• Like 2

I recommend For Me and My Gal, which is airing in the wee hours tomorrow morning (3am PST).  This film stars Gene Kelly and Judy Garland.  It is Gene Kelly's film debut.  Kelly has said that he was grateful to Garland who was 19 at the time and starring in her first "adult" role.  Garland, a showbiz veteran by the time this film was made, showed Kelly the ropes of filmmaking and helped him adjust his theater style to one more suited of the small screen.  She also supported Kelly in his arguments with director Busby Berkeley, whom she did not like.  Kelly and Garland have a great rapport in this film and in their two subsequent films together-- The Pirate and Summer Stock

I've never seen FOR ME AND MY GAL, but I recorded this one to watch later.

I love SUMMER STOCK.

• Like 2

Monday, July 27th--all times E.S.T.--an abundance of goodies:

6:00 a.m.--"The Phantom of Paris"--(1931)--One of John Gilbert's sound films, reminiscent of Phantom of the Opera.

7:15 a.m.--"Svengali"--(1931)--Early sound Barrymore in a horror classic.

2:45 p.m.--"The Magician"--(1959)--Ingmar Bergman not in the middle of the night. :)

6:30 p.m.--"The Sorcerors"--(1967)--- Boris Karloff directed by the talented Michael Reeves, who directed only 3 films & died much too early at 25.  Reeves' last film was "The Conqueror Worm" (1968).

8:00 p.m.--"The Bachelor & the Bobby-Soxer"--(1947)--A not-bad Cary Grant-Shirley Temple film.

• Like 1

Monday, July 27

6 a.m.  The Phantom of Paris (1931) with John Gilbert.  Haven’t seen this one.

2:45 p.m.  The Magician (1959) by Ingmar Bergman with Max von Sydow.  For those who missed it a few weeks ago.

4 a.m.  The Big Circus (1959)  I caught this the other day.  Incredibly bad and cliche ridden.  Lorre is like a zombie.  Mature keeps pounding his palm with a walking stick throughout the entire movie.  Talk about banana hands!!  Kathryn Grant is so so so bad everyone spends the movie literally propping her up.   If you enjoy a good bad ‘un, this one’s for you.

• Like 2

The Big Circus (1959)  I caught this the other day.  Incredibly bad and cliche ridden.  Lorre is like a zombie.  Mature keeps pounding his palm with a walking stick throughout the entire movie.  Talk about banana hands!!  Kathryn Grant is so so so bad everyone spends the movie literally propping her up.   If you enjoy a good bad ‘un, this one’s for you.

Loved it when I was a kid. My next door neighbor kid was a freak for the circus - couldn't get enough of them - and he and I saw it several times.

I remember that Gilbert Roland pretty much steals the whole movie and that David Nelson was surprising.

• Like 1

Monday, July 27th--all times E.S.T

6:30 p.m.--"The Sorcerors"--(1967)--- Boris Karloff directed by the talented Michael Reeves, who directed only 3 films & died much too early at 25.  Reeves' last film was "The Conqueror Worm" (1968).

I missed THE SORCERERS the last time it aired on TCM.

I'm glad we didn't have to wait too long for it to air again.

• Like 1