Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

On 4/21/2018 at 5:03 PM, HoldenIsHere said:

Thanks for the heads up. If not for your post I would have missed this one. Luckily I saw your post before going to bed the night THE GO-BETWEEN aired and set the DVR. 

I'm a big fan of Julie Christie and have never seen this movie. (I'm not a fan DR ZHIVAGO which features Julie Christie in the role for which perhaps she's most known.)   

Too bad it was pan and scan. Once I saw that I deleted it. The last time it was on it was pan and scan as well!

Wednesday, April 25

8 pm Young Man With A Horn

Great atmosphere in the jazz club scenes and on location street photography, as Kirk Douglas lip syncs the horn to Harry James' playing. Doris Day sings some great songs, and Juano Hernandez brings conviction to his portrayal of an old time jazz man. A winner.

7irs5k7pcdm77mp.jpg

10 pm The Breaking Point

Hemingway called this dynamic Michael Curtiz adaption of "To Have and Have Not" his favourite film adaption of any of his novels. John Garfield, in his penultimate film role, gives a great performance as a fishing boat skipper, desperate for money to support his family, who resorts to illegal means for income. Strong performances from all members of the supporting cast, including Phyllis Thaxter, Patricia Neal, Juano Hernandez and Wallace Ford. The film's final image, through an overhead camera, remains one of the most poignant to end a film.

A great film, director Michael Curtiz's last masterpiece.

Film_889_BreakingPoint_original.jpg

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Too bad it was pan and scan. Once I saw that I deleted it. The last time it was on it was pan and scan as well!

Yes, that was a bit of a bummer.

I did watch the entire movie (THE GO-BETWEEN) in spite of the format issue since I'd never seen it before. I don't think it's ever been released on DVD.

I've never read the book so I don't know how faithful the adaptation was. I think the Julie Christie  character was actually only 18 years old in the book and that her family was middle-class versus wealthy (aristocratic?) as portrayed in the movie.

I found the story of the movie compelling although the flash forwards were probably a bit jarring for some viewers. The scene where the two boys (Leo and Marcus) find the poisonous flower played twice with (I think) slightly different dialogue, which was likely an attempt by screenwriter/adapter Harold Pinter to convey the memories of the adult Leo. I'm not certain when the young Leo performed the "curse."    

Thursday, April 26

b320a819aa84afbcd4646c07232fef9c.jpg

8 p.m.  The Importance of Being Earnest (1952).  With Michael Redgrave.  I saw this back-to-back with the Colin Firth version recently.  Redgrave is master class and Firth just seemed out of his depth.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, April 26

b320a819aa84afbcd4646c07232fef9c.jpg

8 p.m.  The Importance of Being Earnest (1952).  With Michael Redgrave.  I saw this back-to-back with the Colin Firth version recently.  Redgrave is master class and Firth just seemed out of his depth.

Agreed. 

I usually like Colin Firth, and to be fair he did try his best, but Redgrave was just perfect for the part.

• Like 1

Friday, April 27/28

Brad Dexter night.

345476.jpg

12:15 a.m.  None But the Brave (1965).  Directed by Frank Sinatra.  I wonder if it was on this film that Dexter saved Frank from drowning?

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, April 27/28

Brad Dexter night.

12:15 a.m.  None But the Brave (1965).  Directed by Frank Sinatra.  I wonder if it was on this film that Dexter saved Frank from drowning?

I like that the theme is entitled "Don't Forget Brad Dexter". That's amusing to me, as Dexter was often referred to among my friends as "the other one" when discussing The Magnificent Seven

4603-11862.jpg

Some other notes on tomorrow's schedule:

NipkowDisc apparently scheduled the mid-day and afternoon line-up, since it features his perennial faves The Best ManSeven Days in May, and Advise and Consent.

PepperyPepperyFish-max-1mb.gif

Late night on TCM Underground has the cult fave Alone in the Dark, about a group of asylum inmates on the loose. It features Jack Palance, Donald Pleasence, Martin Landau, and big Erland van Lidth.

Alone-in-the-Dark-620.jpg

Killer Klowns from Outer Space also has a fervent following, but I thought it tried too hard to be cult-ish, when the best cult movies happen naturally and accidentally. 

Killer+Klowns+FOS+%25280%2529.jpg

• Like 2

Apr 27, 10:30 PM, The Las Vegas Story.  While Brad Dexter is in this movie, the real stars are Jane Russel, Victor Mature and Vincent Price.  Of course, Dexter does a good job of being a sleaze.  Hoagy Carmichael and Jay C. Flippen are good as well.  

Russel's role is somewhat similar to the ones she played in Macao and His Kind of Woman.

It last 90 minutes, which I think is a good length for this type movie.

• Like 3

I've got to recommend First Lady scheduled tomorrow (Friday) at the ungodly hour of 6 AM.  Truly witty (the political maneuvering and backstabbing is very contemporary) and an absolute tour de force for Verree Teasdale who gives an amazing performance as Kay Francis' nemesis.  Tape it!

• Thanks 4
10 minutes ago, lydecker said:

I've got to recommend First Lady scheduled tomorrow (Friday) at the ungodly hour of 6 AM.  Truly witty (the political maneuvering and backstabbing is very contemporary) and an absolute tour de force for Verree Teasdale who gives an amazing performance as Kay Francis' nemesis.  Tape it!

".... it was said of Miss Francis "that as First Lady she would be primarily First Shopper." The negative critical views translated into a disappointing box office take.

Reviewers did, however, praise the work of two other cast members, most notably Verree Teasdale as the rival, an ambitious, backstabbing power-player whose past becomes her undoing. Frank S. Nugent of the New York Times said, "Miss Teasdale, on the other hand, lets [her lines] rip out and curl about her opponent's ears, and rarely bothers to wait for the welts to rise." Teasdale could often be counted on to bring some zing to her roles as society wives, "other women," and second leads in comedies, ....

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/1000/First-Lady/articles.html

:)

• Like 2
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, TomJH said:

Wednesday, April 25

8 pm Young Man With A Horn

Great atmosphere in the jazz club scenes and on location street photography, as Kirk Douglas lip syncs the horn to Harry James' playing. Doris Day sings some great songs, and Juano Hernandez brings conviction to his portrayal of an old time jazz man. A winner.

7irs5k7pcdm77mp.jpg

10 pm The Breaking Point

Hemingway called this dynamic Michael Curtiz adaption of "To Have and Have Not" his favourite film adaption of any of his novels. John Garfield, in his penultimate film role, gives a great performance as a fishing boat skipper, desperate for money to support his family, who resorts to illegal means for income. Strong performances from all members of the supporting cast, including Phyllis Thaxter, Patricia Neal, Juano Hernandez and Wallace Ford. The film's final image, through an overhead camera, remains one of the most poignant to end a film.

A great film, director Michael Curtiz's last masterpiece.

Film_889_BreakingPoint_original.jpg

So sorry to see the end of Michael Curtiz Wednesdays.  We also watched many of the films on our new 50" screen TV and got more of an actual movie viewing experience.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, rosebette said:

So sorry to see the end of Michael Curtiz Wednesdays.  We also watched many of the films on our new 50" screen TV and got more of an actual movie viewing experience.  

I'm totally with you on this.  I think he's a director who doesn't get nearly enough accolades (how you can ignore  his body of work is a mystery to me) and I loved the author of his bio as guest host.  Really one of the best Spotlights TCM has done in a while!

• Like 2

That's followed by the not-very-good Inn of the Sixth Happiness at 2:00 PM, an overlong bore with Ingrid Bergman playing a missionary in China.  It's based on a real story, and the real-life protagonist hated what they did to her character in the movie, turning it into a cheap romance.

5 hours ago, Fedya said:

That's followed by the not-very-good Inn of the Sixth Happiness at 2:00 PM, an overlong bore with Ingrid Bergman playing a missionary in China.  It's based on a real story, and the real-life protagonist hated what they did to her character in the movie, turning it into a cheap romance.

I can't agree with your assessment of this film, Fedya. Overlong it may be but Bergman is fine, as is Robert Donat as a mandarin. His prophetic final line in the film (the actor would die shortly after completing the scene): "We shall not meet again, I think." Bergman's tears in this scene, due to Donat's failing health condition, were real.

The+Inn+of+the+Sixth+Happiness+-+inside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monday, April 30

William Holden night.

network-1.jpg?w=750

midnight.  Network (1976).  My big scene was with Peter Finch.  I am the handsome dude in the audience of the Howard Beale show!

• Like 3

Jumping ahead a bit because I never know if I'll get to post during the work week, on Tuesday night, May 1, starting at 8 PM TCM is showing the "Blondie" series of movies with Penny Singleton and Arthur Lake. I've only seen the first one - "Blondie" - so I don't know if the rest are any good, but I'm recording them because this is likely a one shot deal.

Below is Penny Singleton leading "The Varsity Drag" number from 1930's "Good News".

• Like 1