Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

I'll be third to recommend The Magician (1959). To keep it short I'll just say it's a highly unique film.

• Like 1

Everything is during the day--All times E.S.T.

6:15 a.m.--"The Thin Man" (1934)--William Powell & Myrna Loy classic.

8:00 a.m.--"After the Thin Man" (1936)--#2 in the series, with a young James Stewart.

10:00 a.m.--"Another Thin Man" (1939)--#3 in the series, not as good as the first 2.

11:45 a.m.--"Summer Holiday" (1948)--rarely seen musical based on O'Neill's "Oh Wilderness".

1:30 p.m.--"In the Good Old Summertime" (1949)--pleasant Judy Garland musical version of "The Shop Around the Corner".  Good but not great.

3:15 p.m.--"The Long, Long, Trailer" (1954)--best film of the two Lucy & Desi made together.

Everything is during the day--All times E.S.T.

6:15 a.m.--"The Thin Man" (1934)--William Powell & Myrna Loy classic.

8:00 a.m.--"After the Thin Man" (1936)--#2 in the series, with a young James Stewart.

10:00 a.m.--"Another Thin Man" (1939)--#3 in the series, not as good as the first 2.

3:15 p.m.--"The Long, Long, Trailer" (1954)--best film of the two Lucy & Desi made together.

Thumbs up on "The Long, Long, Trailer", which I saw a hundred times and could see a hundred more times. I have the DVD...

On "The Thin Man", a guilty confession - I was bored to tears with it.  I watched it years ago, and I think I tried more than one in the series.  Maybe it deserves a second chance, but...  Anyone else not "Thin Man" fans?

• Like 2

Surprising choice for prime time tomorrow: documentarian Les Blank. I've seen a couple of these, Hot Pepper and A Well Spent Life, but I can't say I found them especially engaging, even though I like the musicians a lot and they're very interesting people. The film-making style didn't grab me, but I may have been tired when I watched them. I wish he had filmed them playing more music, that's one thing. I'd rather have watched Mance Lipscomb finger his guitar than look at scenery during his playing...

In other words, these movies ain't no Louie Bluie.

I'll be tuning in regularly, nonetheless. I'm interested in his subject matter.

• Like 3

Tuesday, July 28

11:45 p.m.  Garlic Is as Good as Ten Mothers (1980).  This Les Blank film was restored by the Library of Congress.

2:30 a.m.  A Well Spent Life (1971).  This documentary on guitarist, Mance Lipscomb looks intriguing.

Thumbs up on "The Long, Long, Trailer", which I saw a hundred times and could see a hundred more times. I have the DVD...

On "The Thin Man", a guilty confession - I was bored to tears with it.  I watched it years ago, and I think I tried more than one in the series.  Maybe it deserves a second chance, but...  Anyone else not "Thin Man" fans?

I love The Long, Long Trailer! Probably in my Top 10 favorite movies of all time.  I have seen this movie a billion times (I own the Lucy-Desi Boxed Set) and it never gets old.  It's my family's go-to camping movie.  It's gotten to the point where we can all recite the dialogue.  It's basically one long I Love Lucy episode (in color no less) and that's definitely not a bad thing. 

I can't share in your guilty confession.  I love The Thin Man.  The chemistry between William Powell and Myrna Loy is what makes their 'Thin Man' films and the other eight films they made together worthwhile.

• Like 1

I love The Long, Long Trailer! Probably in my Top 10 favorite movies of all time.  I have seen this movie a billion times (I own the Lucy-Desi Boxed Set) and it never gets old.  It's my family's go-to camping movie.  It's gotten to the point where we can all recite the dialogue.  It's basically one long I Love Lucy episode (in color no less) and that's definitely not a bad thing. 

I can't share in your guilty confession.  I love The Thin Man.  The chemistry between William Powell and Myrna Loy is what makes their 'Thin Man' films and the other eight films they made together worthwhile.

When I was a kid and saw Lucy and Desi in color on TV for the first time (not knowing it wasn't an "I Love Lucy" episode, but Forever Darling), my eyes popped out of my head!  It was the scene where Lucy and Desi were camping to test the 383 formula and Desi was playing the accordion on the beach.  (To me, Forever Darling runs a distant second to The Long, Long Trailer, but to see Ball and Arnaz in Technicolor I'd go for a storyline set in a cave.)

Speedy, I have the box set, too.  I liked "Too Many Girls" the least of the three.  It didn't hold my interest, and I'm not a fan of Eddie Bracken.

Okay, maybe I'll try some Thin Man flix again.  In the meantime, I'm gonna pop Trailer in my DVD player right now...

• Like 1

When I was a kid and saw Lucy and Desi in color on TV for the first time (not knowing it wasn't an "I Love Lucy" episode, but Forever Darling), my eyes popped out of my head!  It was the scene where Lucy and Desi were camping to test the 383 formula and Desi was playing the accordion on the beach.  (To me, Forever Darling runs a distant second to The Long, Long Trailer, but to see Ball and Arnaz in Technicolor I'd go for a storyline set in a cave.)

Speedy, I have the box set, too.  I liked "Too Many Girls" the least of the three.  It didn't hold my interest, and I'm not a fan of Eddie Bracken.

Okay, maybe I'll try some Thin Man flix again.  In the meantime, I'm gonna pop Trailer in my DVD player right now...

Lol.  I agree that Forever Darling isn't even in the same league as The Long, Long Trailer.  What bothers me about Forever Darling is that Lucy & Desi are fighting fighting fighting throughout almost all the movie.  The best thing about this movie I agree is the Technicolor and I believe that some of Lucy's dresses from I Love Lucy are part of her wardrobe for this film, so it's fun to see what color they are.

The best thing about Too Many Girls, in my opinion are Ann Miller and Desi Arnaz.  I agree that Eddie Bracken is irritating (my favorite role of his is as Judy Garland's doofy fiance in Summer Stock.  I like watching Garland yell at him).  I liked Frances Langford's singing.  Poor Lucy had the obvious dubbing performed.  One of my favorite scenes in the film is when Lucy walks past Desi, turns around and gives him a look and he faints.  Lol.  The end of the film, where Ann Miller dances while Desi plays conga is the highlight of the film.  I also liked their "S pic and Spanish" song, though I'm not too sure how PC the name of the song is now.  Lol.  Plus, young 23 year old Desi Arnaz was pretty cute in this film, so it's got that going for it too ;)

toomanygirls_1940_ff_01_188x141_04022009

While Too Many Girls is a mediocre film, the behind the scenes action on this film makes it important.  This is the film where Lucy and Desi met.  They met a few days prior to production starting in I believe June 1940 and by the end of November 1940, they were married. 

(Okay, this is not in any of the movies we talked about, but I couldn't resist)

LIFE29A.jpg

Look who is in a conga line being led by Desi Arnaz! Could it be my boyfriend Errol? I think so! I wouldn't normally join a conga line, but if I had Errol with me, I'd be in one in a heartbeat.

Lol.  I agree that Forever Darling isn't even in the same league as The Long, Long Trailer.  What bothers me about Forever Darling is that Lucy & Desi are fighting fighting fighting throughout almost all the movie.  The best thing about this movie I agree is the Technicolor and I believe that some of Lucy's dresses from I Love Lucy are part of her wardrobe for this film, so it's fun to see what color they are.

Ball and Arnaz definitely brought the enormous success of "I Love Lucy" to their films to draw fans, even down to Lucy's dresses and by naming their movie characters similarly (like Nicky and Tacy in Trailer).  But that's what the audiences wanted.  Though it's an obvious ploy, I personally don't care.  They were great!

In Darling, I think James Mason was one big drawback.  Maybe another actor could have done better in the guardian angel role?  I don't know.  But I do love the scene in the movie theater when Lucy replaces the characters in the jungle film with herself and Mason (in her mind), and goes off on a wild romantic fantasy, LOL.

• Like 2

Ball and Arnaz definitely brought the enormous success of "I Love Lucy" to their films to draw fans, even down to Lucy's dresses and by naming their movie characters similarly (like Nicky and Tacy in Trailer).  But that's what the audiences wanted.  Though it's an obvious ploy, I personally don't care.  They were great!

In Darling, I think James Mason was one big drawback.  Maybe another actor could have done better in the guardian angel role?  I don't know.  But I do love the scene in the movie theater when Lucy replaces the characters in the jungle film with herself and Mason (in her mind), and goes off on a wild romantic fantasy, LOL.

I do like the movie theater part of 'Darling' that you mention.  The whole guardian angel angle was not executed well.  It just seemed random. 

Wednesday, July 29

8:30 a.m.  The Kennel Murder Case (1933).  I’d like to see this William Powell, Philo Vance film again.

• Like 1

Wed., July 29th--all times E.S.T.

10:00 p.m.--"Separate Tables"--(1958)--David Niven won a Best Actor Oscar for this one.

For insomniacs only:

3:45 a.m.--"The Mouse That Roared"--(1959)--Duchy of Grand Fenwick declares war on the U.S., hoping for foreign aid.  Peter Sellers plays 3 parts.  Great fun.

WEDNESDAY, JULY 29, 2015

6:00 AM Jewel Robbery (1932)

6:15 PM I Love You Again (1940)

• Like 1

Yes. Wednesday's AM schedule is a knockout from 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM - A William Powell bonanza! After this morning's features, this is a rare gift from TCM.. 

Thank you, TCM!

:D

• Like 2

Yes. Wednesday's AM schedule is a knockout from 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM - A William Powell bonanza! After this morning's features, this is a rare gift from TCM.. 

Thank you, TCM!

:D

Quite right. 

Powell was breathtaking with Kay (and Loy yesterday), wonderful alone (Astor a non-entity for him), but Rosalind drags him into mediocrity. Of course I'm sure the writing and directing had more than a little to do with my stinko rating on Rendezvous. WHOA, didn't someone here recommend Rendezvous? Oh well. P.U.

one of Bob's Picks tonight & (I believe) a board poster fav....

be_d__0_IKnowWhereImGoing.jpg

• Like 1

"I Know Where I'm Going" is a fabulous movie, if one has a sense of humor.

It starts out a bit like a Monty Python sketch in that you are not sure what is going on, what is the intent of the film, and then takes a left turn at the fork of the road, as Yogi Berra might say.

I would highly recommend it. If one hates me or my posts, one might not like it.

Thursday, July 30

12:15 p.m.  After Office Hours (1935) with Constance Bennett and Clark Gable.   Looking forward to this one.

1 good one, & one must-see/tape--all times E.S.T.

5:30 p.m.--"Small Town Girl"--(1953)--Forget the archaic script, & older plot & Farley Granger; this was one of Busby Berkeley's last jobs of staging musical numbers, & he excelled.  Ann Miller's "I've Got to Hear That Beat" with the disembodied orchestra, & Bobby Van's human pogo stick number have to be seen to be believed.  Jane Powell also does well in her songs.

1:00 a. m.--"Pennies from Heaven"--(1981)--People didn't want to see a dramatic, downbeat Steve Martin in 1981.  MGM gambled & lost big with this excellent film.  Martin, Bernadette Peters, Jessica Harper, & Christopher Walken lip-sync to song hits of the 1930's & dance--all show undreamt of talent.  Film is not a Feel-Good film--but it Is a classic that's never seen except on TCM--I've never run across it before.  A Must-see or Record.

I rarely am so definite about films, but "Pennies from Heaven" is on my Top 10 list of Movies I Have To See.

"Small Town Girl" I came across by sheer luck: Blockbuster Video was getting rid of videocassettes & I got a copy for 50 cents.

• Like 1

1:00 a. m.--"Pennies from Heaven"--(1981)--People didn't want to see a dramatic, downbeat Steve Martin in 1981.  MGM gambled & lost big with this excellent film.  Martin, Bernadette Peters, Jessica Walter, & Christopher Walken lip-sync to song hits of the 1930's & dance--all show undreamt of talent.  Film is not a Feel-Good film--but it Is a classic that's never seen except on TCM--I've never run across it before.  A Must-see or Record.

I rarely am so definite about films, but "Pennies from Heaven" is on my Top 10 list of Movies I Have To See.

I saw Pennies from Heaven when it was released -- it's a magical film. And I love the way the design was inspired by Edward Hopper's paintings.

pennies03.jpg

• Like 2

Everything is light in Hopper's painting Swithin posted on the board --the "Pennies from Heaven" side ,all is dark or shadowed, except for the inside of the diner--which stands for the character hopes & dreams.

"Pennies from Heaven"--(1981)--People didn't want to see a dramatic, downbeat Steve Martin in 1981.  MGM gambled & lost big with this excellent film.  Martin, Bernadette Peters, Jessica Walter, & Christopher Walken lip-sync to song hits of the 1930's & dance--all show undreamt of talent.  Film is not a Feel-Good film--but it Is a classic that's never seen except on TCM--I've never run across it before.  A Must-see or Record.

People were confused by it. Martin had become a star - something like Jim Carrey - in outrageous silly comedies for the few years prior. No seriousness. Plus, this musical used old records to which the actors lip-synched - even if they were not the same gender as the singer - which has to be the first and last time that was done in a serious movie.

Most, hearing this was a musical starring him and Bernadette Peters - who had a history of fluffy, air-heady roles - thought they were going to going to see something funny. Child murder and the selfish exploitation of vulnerable women during the Depression are not funny topics.

So, it's not surprising that it didn't hit with theater-going audiences. On home video in the years that followed, though, a much more appreciative audience began to notice what a fine film it is when expectations of lunacy-style comedy aren't the motivation for watching it, the way they were back then.

If anyone here has never seen it, don't miss it. Dark and disturbing, yet containing some great music and choreography. Pretty unique.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone who recommended PENNIES FROM HEAVEN in this thread.

From the comments posted here, it does sound like a truly unique movie and one that I would have missed based just on the brief description that appears with it on the TCM schedule.

• Like 1

Quite right. 

Powell was breathtaking with Kay (and Loy yesterday), wonderful alone (Astor a non-entity for him), but Rosalind drags him into mediocrity. Of course I'm sure the writing and directing had more than a little to do with my stinko rating on Rendezvous. WHOA, didn't someone here recommend Rendezvous? Oh well. P.U.

Powell was so cute in I Love You Again with Loy. Amazing how bad he was with Rosalind in Rendezvous.

Today is a good day, stuff like TCM used to show, in the good ole days.

Marie Dressler is magnificent.

Thanks to everyone who recommended PENNIES FROM HEAVEN in this thread.

From the comments posted here, it does sound like a truly unique movie and one that I would have missed based just on the brief description that appears with it on the TCM schedule.

The original Dennis Potter British teleplay of Pennies From Heaven with Bob Hoskins is interesting to see as well.

AND Potter's original The Singing Detective with Michael Gambon is light years better than the Downey movie remake.

• Like 2