Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Powell was so cute in I Love You Again with Loy. Amazing how bad he was with Rosalind in Rendezvous.

Today is a good day, stuff like TCM used to show, in the good ole days.

Marie Dressler is magnificent.

Wow. 

Milk @ 12 cents, tuition @ $6000., a mink coat @ $2500., and sex outside of a veddy proper marriage.

Excellent pre-code, they don't make 'em like that anymore, and TCM doesn't show enough of the ones they do.

Today is a good day, thank you TCM.

Wow. 

Milk @ 12 cents, tuition @ $6000., a mink coat @ $2500., and sex outside of a veddy proper marriage.

Excellent pre-code, they don't make 'em like that anymore, and TCM doesn't show enough of the ones they do.

Today is a good day, thank you TCM.

I hope you're not missing Where Sinners Meet.

The author of Winnie the Pooh WROTE THIS? Holy mackerel! :o

People having an affair who are leaving their spouses, kidnapped to make sure they really like each other? WOW! Not in America, that's for sure.

I know Owen is the fairly decent Scrooge, but is the butler Jacob Marley from Sim's wonderful Scrooge? 

WOW. I hope you're watching this.

HAH!!!!!!!!!!! Wait until you see the other kidnapped couple! HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, sadly Gilbert Emery the butler died in 1945 and was not the butler in Sim's Scrooge.

I hope you're not missing Where Sinners Meet.

The author of Winnie the Pooh WROTE THIS? Holy mackerel! :o

People having an affair who are leaving their spouses, kidnapped to make sure they really like each other? WOW! Not in America, that's for sure.

I know Owen is the fairly decent Scrooge, but is the butler Jacob Marley from Sim's wonderful Scrooge? 

WOW. I hope you're watching this.

HAH!!!!!!!!!!! Wait until you see the other kidnapped couple! HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, sadly Gilbert Emery the butler died in 1945 and was not the butler in Sim's Scrooge.

WOW. A.A. Milne WROTE THIS?

I'm surprised that Ben Affleck (or some other yuppie idiot in Hollyweird) didn't make a modern version of this amazingly modern movie.

I HOPE YOU'RE ALL WATCHING IT!!!!!!!!!!

WOWIE, ZOWIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D

if ya wanted to see how BAD some of the old 'B' flicks could, anyone check out Society Doctor on 'Billie Burke' Day today?

Corny dialogue, hammy acting, silly story with ridiculous scene of a  supposedly fatally wounded Doc Morris staying awake to direct an operation on himself, while joking and pitching woo at Virginia Bruce....

No, being old doesn't always mean it's a classic!

:lol: :rolleyes:

(not sayin' they can't be fun.... ;)

The original Dennis Potter British teleplay of Pennies From Heaven with Bob Hoskins is interesting to see as well.

AND Potter's original The Singing Detective with Michael Gambon is light years better than the Downey movie remake.

The Bob Hoskins mini-series is one of the best things I've ever seen- I, personally, would definitely use the term light years to describe how much better it is than the film. Hoskins is excellent in it. Steve Martin wasn't very good and couldn't fill the role. I've not seen either version of the latter title, but I believe you.

(Do you think it's bad etiquette to say things like this before the film airs? Not to discourage anyone, of course, that would be unthinkable.)

The Bob Hoskins mini-series is one of the best things I've ever seen- I, personally, would definitely use the term light years to describe how much better it is than the film. Hoskins is excellent in it. Steve Martin wasn't very good and couldn't fill the role. I've not seen either version of the latter title, but I believe you.

(Do you think it's bad etiquette to say things like this before the film airs? Not to discourage anyone, of course, that would be unthinkable.)

Not at all.  It's a good recommendation and it was a piece that really made Hoskins.

I'd go as far as to say that The Singing Detective with Michael Gambon is one of the best tv dramas that I have ever seen.  It works on so many levels.  Cheap dime store noir.  Campy musical.  The hero is constantly hallucinating because of the drugs he is on.  And then there are the childhood flashbacks which, I would say unexpectedly tie the entire piece together at the end.  Dennis Potter is held in very high regard in Britain.

• Like 2

Not at all.  It's a good recommendation and it was a piece that really made Hoskins.

I'd go as far as to say that The Singing Detective with Michael Gambon is one of the best tv dramas that I have ever seen.  It works on so many levels.  Cheap dime store noir.  Campy musical.  The hero is constantly hallucinating because of the drugs he is on.  And then there are the childhood flashbacks which, I would say unexpectedly tie the entire piece together at the end.  Dennis Potter is held in very high regard in Britain.

The Singing Detective is available from my local library. I'll definitely put it in my mind to order it soon. Pennies From Heaven is the only thing by Dennis Potter I've seen, for some reason. I remember when I looked him up it said his first series was about a man obsessed with Al Bowlly. A bit autobiographical, maybe?

The Singing Detective is available from my local library. I'll definitely put it in my mind to order it soon. Pennies From Heaven is the only thing by Dennis Potter I've seen, for some reason. I remember when I looked him up it said his first series was about a man obsessed with Al Bowlly. A bit autobiographical, maybe?

Hope you have a good stomach, Kay.

Friday, July 31

6:00 a.m.  The Big Heat (1953).  Well, again if you haven’t already seen today’s films this one may be the pick of the bunch.  Gloria Grahame is fabulous in it.

I've been recording ALL of the Summer of Darkness films, I'm at 57% on my DVR with over 300+ recordings (some are my husband's, only 200 or so are mine).  Trying to catch up.  I recorded them all for the film noir class (not to brag, but I have approximately a 97% in the class). 

My picks for tomorrow are:

The Harder They Fall, Humphrey Bogart's last film.

The Blue Gardenia, This is a great movie starring Anne Baxter and Ann Sothern. 

I'm especially looking forward to The Wrong Man, one of the few Hitchcock films I haven't seen. 

Then, despite everyone's bellyaching, I'm especially looking forward to SUTS.  Saturday is the beginning of it and it starts off with one of my newly discovered favorites-- Gene Tierney.

I recommend Laura, Heaven Can Wait and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

I'm planning on recording a bunch.  Right now I'm trying to get through all the William Powell movies I recorded the other day.

• Like 1

ditto, runnin' out of space on dvr, so gotta choose wisely

planning on recording this, though....

8:00 pm ET
B/W
88 min
TV-PG
suspense
Criss Cross (1949)

A man tries to save his fickle ex-wife from her criminal lover.

DirRobert Siodmak CastBurt Lancaster , Yvonne De Carlo , Dan Duryea .
LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Robert Siodmak. Burt Lancaster, Yvonne De Carlo, Dan Duryea, Stephen McNally.

"Lancaster returns to hometown, where he crosses path of ex-wife De Carlo, who's taken up with gangster Duryea. Potent film noir look (by cinematographer Franz Planer) and music (by Miklos Rozsa) help compensate for Lancaster's miscasting as easily manipulated husband. Tony Curtis' screen debut; he's briefly seen as De Carlo's dance partner."

Saturday, August 1

Yikes!  It's August already.

6:30 a.m.  Never Let Me Go (1953) with Clark Gable and Gene Tierney.  Haven’t seen this one.

3:45 p.m.  Laura (1944).  If you missed it the other 12 times it has been on recently.

2:30 a.m.  Close to My Heart (1951) with Gene Tierney.  Haven’t seen this one either.

Two Burt Lancaster movies in a row on tonight!!  I'm now watching Brute Force, which I've seen before and loved!

The challenge - to watch Burt and keep track of the plot at the same time... :wub:

• Like 3

Two Burt Lancaster movies in a row on tonight!!  I'm now watching Brute Force, which I've seen before and loved!

The challenge - to watch Burt and keep track of the plot at the same time... :wub:

I completely empathize with your plight in watching a hot guy and trying to follow the plot of the film simultaneously.   You must have really struggled during the beach scene of From Here to Eternity or most of The Crimson Pirate, lol!

Took me a few times to watch Gentleman Jim and remember to pay attention to the other characters too.  Lol.

I have Brute Force and Criss Cross recorded.  Right now I'm catching up on some Barbara Stanwyck pre-codes.  I'm watching Gambling Lady, but I may have to switch to Lancaster noir myself.  Lol. 

• Like 1

I completely empathize with your plight in watching a hot guy and trying to follow the plot of the film simultaneously.   You must have really struggled during the beach scene of From Here to Eternity or most of The Crimson Pirate, lol!

Took me a few times to watch Gentleman Jim and remember to pay attention to the other characters too.  Lol.

I have Brute Force and Criss Cross recorded.  Right now I'm catching up on some Barbara Stanwyck pre-codes.  I'm watching Gambling Lady, but I may have to switch to Lancaster noir myself.  Lol. 

I haven't seen The Crimson Pirate, but I put it in my Classicflix queue earlier tonight, with a bunch of other Lancaster movies.  :)

Gambling Lady is okay, but I really recommend The Lady Gambles, with Stanwyck, from 1949.  The second blows the first away...

Okay, now I'm back to Raymond Burr...  A letdown after Lancaster, but you have to take the rough with the smooth. ;)

I haven't seen The Crimson Pirate, but I put it in my Classicflix queue earlier tonight, with a bunch of other Lancaster movies.  :)

Gambling Lady is okay, but I really recommend The Lady Gambles, with Stanwyck, from 1949.  The second blows the first away...

Okay, now I'm back to Raymond Burr...  A letdown after Lancaster, but you have to take the rough with the smooth. ;)

Thanks for the recommendation!

You should like The Crimson Pirate.  It's definitely a silly movie, but Lancaster runs around shirtless and in tight pants for most of it--so there's always that to look forward to ;)

Raymond Burr is a definite letdown, but it's probably good to have a cooling off period, right?

• Like 3

Did you? I left it, didn't find it interesting at all.

Loved Criss Cross, hadn't ever seen the beginning. Mr. primos couldn't believe that was Lili Munster.

Drat, missed Desperate and The Asphalt Jungle. Burt is pretty but Sterling is drop dead gorgeous.

Good movies this P.M. - on a Saturday??? What gives? And with the even prettier than Sterling Gene Tierney. No doubt TCM will soon return to the garbage made after 1960.

You should like The Crimson Pirate.  It's definitely a silly movie, but Lancaster runs around shirtless and in tight pants for most of it

Nothing silly about that!

(a friend who knew I love Lancaster gave me the poster for this-DEFINITLY exploits Lancaster's costume!!)

(a friend who knew I love Lancaster gave me the poster for this-DEFINITLY exploits Lancaster's costume!!)

That's okay - it's good when it happens to the good looking men for a change.   :)

Anyway, as I went on to watch Brute Force last night, I realized I was confusing it with Riot in Cell Block 11, which was the movie that I really loved (how I could mix up Burt Lancaster with Neville Brand is beyond me), but Brute Force is good, too.   :)

Sunday, August 2

10 p.m.  The Proud Rebel (1958) by Michael Curtiz with Olivia de Havilland and Alan Ladd.  This is one I’ve still not seen.

4:15 a.m.  Government Girl (1943).  Another de Havilland I’ve yet to see.

I tuned into a bit of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (9147) this evening, a film I have seen many times.  Two things struck me as being pitch perfect; one is George Sanders' performance and the other is the exquisite score by Bernard Hermann.  The score takes this picture to a new magical level.

• Like 2

f7e11a1e5d02cf8550bb41963e65c1efb4108ddd

HUSH . . . HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE airs late tonight as part of the Olivia De Havilland Summer Under the Stars tribute.

800663aa27e7cca0421b198cc7ef1329.jpg

200_s.gif

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

200_s.gif

• Like 1

There are three goodies Apr. 3rd---All times E.S.T.

6:00 a.m.--"The Sheik"--(1921)--Rudolph Valentino silent

7:30 a.m.--"A Woman of Paris"--(1923)--Chaplin silent that is supposed to be classic

And the surprise (I hope it's a delight)

4:45 a.m.--"New Moon"--(1930)--Not the MacDonald-Eddy overly proper version!  According to Maltin & imdb--film is 78 minutes long--counting reprises, are 10 songs--at say, 3 minutes per song, that's roughly 3-5 minutes of talk until the next song cue.  Film stars Grace Moore & Lawrence Tibbett--both starred at New York's Metropolitan Opera--am quoting Maltin here "packed full of sexual innuendo and no pretense of sexual propriety.  There is no TCM article on it--may be a restoration job--am hoping for a forgotten delight. BTW, MGM junked the libretto (script) & changed the setting, but they kept the entire score. :)

• Like 1

4:45 a.m.--"New Moon"--(1930)--Not the MacDonald Eddy overly proper version!  According to Maltin & imdb--film is 78 minutes long--counting reprises, are 10 songs--at say, 3 minutes per song, that's roughly 3-5 minutes of talk until the next song cue.  Film stars Grace Moore & Lawrence Tibbett--both starred at New York's Metropolitan Opera--am quoting Maltin here "packed full of sexual innuendo and no pretense of sexual propriety.  There is no TCM article on it--may be a restoration job--am hoping for a forgotten delight. BTW, MGM junked the libretto (script) & changed the setting, but they kept the entire score. :)

I've never seen that one. It's directed by Jack Conway, who is one of my favorites. Btw, my favorite recording of the show's biggest hit, "Lover, Come Back to Me" is by Evelyn Laye, who introduced the song (and played the lead) in the original London production at Drury Lane in 1929.

• Like 1