Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Monday, August 3

8 p.m.  Father Takes a Wife (1941) with Gloria Swanson and Adolphe Menjou.  Haven’t seen this one.

12:45 a.m.  The Hucksters (1947).  This one wasn’t my cup of tea.  But there was chat about this film in the Ava Gardner thread in July.

• Like 1

Monday, August 3

8 p.m.  Father Takes a Wife (1941) with Gloria Swanson and Adolphe Menjou.  Haven’t seen this one.

12:45 a.m.  The Hucksters (1947).  This one wasn’t my cup of tea.  But there was chat about this film in the Ava Gardner thread in July.

I don't remember the specifics of the film, but Father Takes a Wife also features a young Desi Arnaz.

• Like 1

Did you? I left it, didn't find it interesting at all.

Loved Criss Cross, hadn't ever seen the beginning. Mr. primos couldn't believe that was Lili Munster.

Drat, missed Desperate and The Asphalt Jungle. Burt is pretty but Sterling is drop dead gorgeous.

Good movies this P.M. - on a Saturday??? What gives? And with the even prettier than Sterling Gene Tierney. No doubt TCM will soon return to the garbage made after 1960.

Speaking of left it, I find it fascinating how boring sisters Joan and Olivia sometimes are. 

No spark, no oomph, no nothing. 

Contrast them to Irene Dunne and Carole Lombard and Kay Fwancis. They leapt off the screen. 

TCM could at least have shown The Heiress, where Livie gave it good to Monty, but did they? No.

primosprimos--Fontaine was champion wimp in her movies--except in Hitchcock's "Suspicion" (1941)--where Hitchcock used that quality & Fontaine walked away with an Oscar.  Her one non-wimp performance was in "Born To Be Bad" (1950).  Check it out.

Olivia de Havilland--what you see as a deficit, I see as an asset.  Her essential sanity & sincerity shone forth in every role she played, & that's a compliment to her--although it probably kept her from winning an Oscar for "The Snake Pit" (1948).  And she did put the screws to Bette last night--as Henry James would phrase it.

• Like 1

THURSDAY, AUGUST 06, 2015

3:30 PM The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

5:45 PM Deathtrap (1982)

• Like 1

Tuesday, August 4

10:45 a.m.  The Actress (1953).  If I had to pick a film to see again from today I might look at this Jean Simmons film.  

Sunday, August 2

10 p.m.  The Proud Rebel (1958) by Michael Curtiz with Olivia de Havilland and Alan Ladd.  This is one I’ve still not seen.

4:15 a.m.  Government Girl (1943).  Another de Havilland I’ve yet to see.

The Proud Rebel is outstanding.  I was moved to tears several times.  DeHavilland is wonderful, stern but compassionate, still lovely.  Alan Ladd was wonderful; I'm not a fan, but his scenes with David were incredibly touching.  One of Mike Curtiz's last movies, but it had real heart, something I never quite expected from him.

• Like 3

Speaking of left it, I find it fascinating how boring sisters Joan and Olivia sometimes are. 

No spark, no oomph, no nothing. 

Contrast them to Irene Dunne and Carole Lombard and Kay Fwancis. They leapt off the screen. 

TCM could at least have shown The Heiress, where Livie gave it good to Monty, but did they? No.

Re;Joan and Olivia - I kind of agree. (no spark) Melanie in GWTW - spare me! But I don't mind her in The Snake Pit or in The Adventures of Robin Hood. Sister Joan works for me in Rebecca.

LOVE Lombard, but haven't seen enough Kay Francis to have an opinion. Dunne always seems too smug and selfaware - in comedies it's as if she's practically winking at the audience. I enjoy The Awful Truth and My Favorite Wife in SPITE of her. But to each his own.

Re;Joan and Olivia - I kind of agree. (no spark) Melanie in GWTW - spare me! But I don't mind her in The Snake Pit or in The Adventures of Robin Hood. Sister Joan works for me in Rebecca.

LOVE Lombard, but haven't seen enough Kay Francis to have an opinion. Dunne always seems too smug and selfaware - in comedies it's as if she's practically winking at the audience. I enjoy The Awful Truth and My Favorite Wife in SPITE of her. But to each his own.

Re: Joan Fontaine.  I liked her in her Hitchcock films: Suspicion and Rebecca.  She does seem to always play a pushover, but for whatever reason I like her-- I probably wouldn't put her in my top 10 (I don't even know if she'd make the top 15) but I don't go out of my way to avoid her.

Re: Olivia de Havilland.  I like her as well, but I seem to only like her in certain types of films.  I find that I'm not as big a fan of her in more lighthearted fare (except for Princess O'Rourke).  I think her niche is drama, like The Heiress.  I'm watching In This Our Life right now, and am enjoying her so far.  She's also good in her films with Errol, except for Four's a Crowd, a comedy.  If not for Errol Flynn and Rosalind Russell's performances, the film would have been a dud for me.  I can see why de Havilland wanted to branch out (away from her Flynn films), as she's pretty much limited to being Errol's love interest (which frankly, would be a fine role for me if I were a young actress, lol). 

• Like 1

Tomorrow:

Hit: Shadow of a Doubt.  If anyone hasn't seen this Hitchcock film, I highly recommend it.  It stars Teresa Wright and Joseph Cotten.  I do find Wright's character's relationship and attachment to her uncle a bit strange, but it works for the film.  This film is the one Alfred Hitchcock considered his favorite.

I also really liked Little Foxes, but I can't remember anything about Teresa Wright's character.  I loved Bette Davis' character.  I'm going to record this one again. 

Wednesday:

Frankly, most of Astaire's films featured are hits (if you like musicals, anyway), my favorite of the Rogers/Astaire collaborations that I've seen so far (I was not as big a fan of Rogers/Astaire, but I'm trying to give them another chance and am finding them entertaining, I still prefer Astaire solo or with other partners) is Top Hat.   Lucille Ball also has a tiny part in this film as a flower shop clerk.

My pick for Wednesday would be You Were Never Lovelier with Fred Astaire, Rita Hayworth and Adolphe Menjou.  I love this film.  Astaire and Hayworth have the most beautiful musical numbers and the film is fun too.

My least favorite of the Astaire films featured is probably Silk Stockings.  I just remember finding the film somewhat boring outside of Astaire and Cyd Charisse's musical numbers.

Absolutely!  :D

Try to catch more Kay Fwancis, she is delightful.

• Like 1

Re: Joan Fontaine.  I liked her in her Hitchcock films: Suspicion and Rebecca.  She does seem to always play a pushover, but for whatever reason I like her-- I probably wouldn't put her in my top 10 (I don't even know if she'd make the top 15) but I don't go out of my way to avoid her.

Joan Fontaine's acting, in my opinion, is amazingly "real."

In THE CONSTANT NYMPH and REBECCA she has such a natural, spontaneous-seeming delivery is in stark contrast the patterned deliveries that were typically found in movies in that era.

• Like 1

In THE CONSTANT NYMPH and REBECCA she has such a natural, spontaneous-seeming delivery in stark contrast the patterned deliveries that were typically found in movies in that era.

I love her too.  She's a delight in The Women as well, and she's my choice for best Jane Eyre. Even when she's "acting" -like in Darling, How Could You. -she does it effectively.

I searched through Raymond Massey's and Gary Cooper's days in SUTS for The Fountainhead. but it appears we're going to miss this amusing disaster. (darn, not this time)

But Cooper's It's a Big Country isn't seen too often and I like it. Check it out if you can.

In THE CONSTANT NYMPH and REBECCA she has such a natural, spontaneous-seeming delivery in stark contrast the patterned deliveries that were typically found in movies in that era.

If you havent seen Joan in Max Ophuls' 1948 film LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN, check it out a_s_a_p. For a while it was even available on youtube. Tcm has shown it recently.

It is La Fontaine's finest hour and a damn good film.

• Like 1

I searched through Raymond Massey's and Gary Cooper's days in SUTS for The Fountainhead. but it appears we're going to miss this amusing disaster. (darn, not this time)

Have no fear; it will be showing on Patricia Neal's day, the 16th. The whole danged cast is getting a day, the film is inevitable!

• Like 2

I love her too.  She's a delight in The Women as well, and she's my choice for best Jane Eyre. Even when she's "acting" -like in Darling, How Could You. -she does it effectively.

But Cooper's It's a Big Country isn't seen too often and I like it. Check it out if you can.

Joan Fontaine's version of Jane Eyre is also my favorite version casa, so I couldn't agree more with you.

speedracer,remember months back I recommended the film to you. Hope you've seen it since then, if not try not to miss it.

I love the Big Country and it isn't shown often. Too bad I'll miss it, but I do have the tape, guess I'll have to wait till I get back to watch it. The music score is a favorite, it's one I hum to myself often.

Casa, you're so right on about The Fountainhead being a disaster. I read along time ago that Gary Cooper, when he was giving that long speech defending himself said that he had absolutely no idea what the lines meant, he just memorized them and had no feeling about what he was saying. (although some would say that he's so wooden that's not unusual for him) I like Gary so I wouldn't say that, but in this film, no one is believable.

• Like 1

Wednesday, August 5

Fred Astaire.  Here’s one way to torture Mrs. Bogie.  I don’t know why but she cannot stand him.  On the Beach would have been a nice change of pace.

Saw a bit of The Little Foxes this evening and even though I was stepping into the film mid-stream I was impressed with the ensemble acting.

Wyler was really good at doing 3 shots where you would be focusing on the person who was doing most of the listening.  Duryea when the brothers are concocting the scheme to steal the bonds.  Loved the bit where he is slapped in the face and his cigar just explodes.  Marshall when Collinge is saying that she doesn't much like her own son.  He doesn't say much but practically steals the scene.

I thought Herbert Marshall was great and Bette Davis is so much fun in this.

• Like 5

Wednesday, August 5

Fred Astaire.  Here’s one way to torture Mrs. Bogie.  I don’t know why but she cannot stand him.  On the Beach would have been a nice change of pace.

Wow.  I have never heard of anyone not liking Fred Astaire.  I can understand not liking musicals and as a result not liking many of his films, but not liking Astaire himself? Wow.  Well to each his (or in this case, her) own.  I'm sure there are people I don't like that others love.

• Like 1

Joan Fontaine's version of Jane Eyre is also my favorite version casa, so I couldn't agree more with you.

speedracer,remember months back I recommended the film to you. Hope you've seen it since then, if not try not to miss it.

Yes.  I do remember.  I haven't watched it yet.  It was on Netflix Streaming for awhile, I'm not sure if it's still on there.  If not, I'll definitely request it from Netflix one of these days and watch it.

• Like 1

Have no fear; it will be showing on Patricia Neal's day, the 16th. The whole danged cast is getting a day, the film is inevitable!

well, there's no Kent Smith day (thankfully) but yes, good point.

The other day I saw the trailer for The Ipcress File, with Michael Caine, showing tomorrow night on TCM.  It looked interesting.  Anyone here give it a thumbs up / thumbs down?

The other day I saw the trailer for The Ipcress File, with Michael Caine, showing tomorrow night on TCM.  It looked interesting.  Anyone here give it a thumbs up / thumbs down?

Thumbs up!

• Like 2

Wow.  I have never heard of anyone not liking Fred Astaire.  I can understand not liking musicals and as a result not liking many of his films, but not liking Astaire himself? Wow.  Well to each his (or in this case, her) own.  I'm sure there are people I don't like that others love.

Fred's looks are a turn-off for her.  The romantic pretence in his films does not work for her.  What can I say?    

I have tried to encourage her to get past that hurdle but to no avail.

I like Marie Dressler films but I would much prefer to date Marlene Dietrich.