• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

25 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, August 12

Doris Day

11:45 a.m.  Carson on TCM: Doris Day (1/16/76).

I'm most looking forward to Julie, just so that I can find out the answer to the movie poster's question: "What happened to Julie on her honeymoon?" 

My picks for Doris' SUTS day are the three Doris Day/Rock Hudson films, Midnight Lace and I'll See You in My Dreams

• Like 2

Monday, August 13

George Brent

hqdefault.jpg

10:30 a.m.  The Painted Veil (1934).  I’ll go with Garbo.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, August 13

George Brent

hqdefault.jpg

10:30 a.m.  The Painted Veil (1934).  I’ll go with Garbo.

I recommend anyone who can to check out BABY FACE (1933) on at nine am and make it one Hell of a double feature.

ps- annoyed that MY REPUTATION (1946) is on at 4:00 am, it's the one I'd've picked for the 8:00 pm slot.

• Like 1

So tomorrow is George Brent day. Sigh. If I was going to be out sick, tomorrow would be the day for it. No, George was not a great actor but I found his films pretty entertaining. Start with "The Rich are Always With Us". You have Bette Davis as the bizarrely name "Malbro" who can only look on in frustration as George and Ruth Chatterton do the original "sharing cigarettes" scene made famous in "Now Voyager". "They Call It Sin" is a very non precode precode.  In fact, it is practically a training film on how to make a precode in the production code era - everything is very implied. And it has one of the craziest deathbed confession scenes in film history. Brent does not get that much screen time here. The Painted Veil is an early production code era film, and it suffers from that fact. Garbo plays a spinster (????) who has many suitors and so she logically picks the suitor to whom she is least attracted (????). Then after she is married she has an affair with someone to whom she is attracted - Brent's character. When her husband finds out - he sees Brent's hat sitting on a desk (OH THE HORROR!!!) - he comes up with a novel solution to the problem.  Honeymoon For Three (I think) is the only movie Brent made with Anne Sheridan, one of his wives. Ironically enough it is about how Brent's character cannot commit, but it is fun. The Great Lie has a plot largely based on George Brent's long absence from the film.  Stranded is worth watching mainly for the odd situations, and plus Brent and Kay Francis were wonderful together. Kay plays a wealthy woman who works for Travelers' Aid back when there really wasn't any social safety net at all in America. Brent plays a businessman who does not share her charitable outlook. "Til We Meet Again" - don't watch this watered down remake, watch the original - "One Way Passage" instead. "Luxury Liner" is a weird role for Brent as captain of a ship and single parent to a daughter who is hard to handle. It's the light fluff MGM was known for at the time, but it is enjoyable. I apparently have a copy of and have therefore watched "Wings of the Navy" but have absolutely no memory of it. Thus I would say either I am really getting old or it is not very memorable or unique. I'll go with excuse number two.

The best film of the day is probably Baby Face.What can I say - speeches about communism, sleeping your way to the top, a father who pimps his own daughter - it is everything a precode should be with the exception of a ridiculous ending. Brent is good here, but Stanwyck really is the whole show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

"Luxury Liner" is a weird role for Brent as captain of a ship and single parent to a daughter who is hard to handle.

So he's Merrill Stubing?

33 minutes ago, Fedya said:

So he's Merrill Stubing?

Nope, Brent has more hair, the daughter is older than Stubing's daughter, and there is no Gopher in this film as far as I can remember.

18 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Nope, Brent has more hair, the daughter is older than Stubing's daughter, and there is no Gopher in this film as far as I can remember.

And no special appearance by Isabel "Wheezy" Sanford as a love interest for the bartender...

• Like 1

Tuesday, August 14

Lupe Velez

lf-1.jpeg

11 p.m.  Honolulu Lu (1941).  I take it Lupe is posing as an Hawaian in this one.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:28 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

TARNISHED did not make a huge impression on me the first time either, although I wouldn't say I didn't care for it. I rewatched it not too long ago and really liked it a whole lot better the second time.

I wound up watching it again, but it didnt change my mind. One of those scripts with literary pretensions that didnt come off successfully. Was also distracting how they did NOT make Malone look like a 30s woman! Everything about her spoke 50s!!!! Was well acted though........

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I wound up watching it again, but it didnt change my mind. One of those scripts with literary pretensions that didnt come off successfully. Was also distracting how they did NOT make Malone look like a 30s woman! Everything about her spoke 50s!!!! Was well acted though........

I know. I keep thinking about this one, and I keep thinking about how its chief weakness was the fact that everything about it was SO 1957 (or 58)

outside of the context of the great depression, it's really hard to understand the motivations of the characters. There's sort of in a THEY SHOOT HORSES DONT THEY? scenario: they're risking their lives because they're desperate for money because its the Great Depression and no one has any money and everyone's desperate.

and while I like Dorothy Malone in the movie, and there's no denying she looks fantastic, that flip was not great depression hair and no woman in the 1930s was serving that much eyebrow.

by failing to make it truer to the period, I think the makers did a certain damage to the longevity of the film, although it may have helped to go over with audiences of the day...if we viewers now got a truer sense of 1935 from the costumes and hair and not 1958, it would add a lot of gravity to the motivations of everyone.

• Like 1

It was less obvious with the men as they were mostly in work outfits, but Malone's look really stood out.

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It was less obvious with the men as they were mostly in work outfits, but Malone's look really stood out.

Did you notice though how dumpy Rock Hudson's suits were? I mean, from the neck up he was Rock Hudson so no complaints. But he was in some terribly ill fitting outfits, and he changed his whole body posture for the role.

Yeah, they seemed to be going for the rumpled reporter look. His hair looked curlier than normal also.....

34 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, they seemed to be going for the rumpled reporter look. His hair looked curlier than normal also.....

YES I NOTICED. 

I have a MAJOR weak spot for curls. 

On 8/11/2018 at 12:56 PM, speedracer5 said:

I'm most looking forward to Julie, just so that I can find out the answer to the movie poster's question: "What happened to Julie on her honeymoon?" 

My picks for Doris' SUTS day are the three Doris Day/Rock Hudson films, Midnight Lace and I'll See You in My Dreams

Did you remember to record JULIE?? I forgot to remind you!

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, August 14

Lupe Velez

lf-1.jpeg

11 p.m.  Honolulu Lu (1941).  I take it Lupe is posing as an Hawaian in this one.

DAMN! I have no room on the DVR! :(((((((((((((((((

I dont get why Lupe is not shown on TCM very often. She was an RKO star...........

7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YES I NOTICED. 

I have a MAJOR weak spot for curls. 

LOL.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2018 at 1:41 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I recommend anyone who can to check out BABY FACE (1933) on at nine am and make it one Hell of a double feature.

ps- annoyed that MY REPUTATION (1946) is on at 4:00 am, it's the one I'd've picked for the 8:00 pm slot.

Yes a very bad time slot! Brent and Garbo were an off screen item as well for a year or so......

56 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes a very bad time slot! Brent and Garbo were an off screen item as well for a year or so......

Say wha .....!!!!???

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Say wha .....!!!!???

YES, IT'S TRUE! Brent was quite the ladies man...........

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I like LUPE VELEZ a lot.

admittedly her films are not entirely PC, but she is so FREAKING ENDEARING (and GORGEOUS) you cannot not like her.

Yes, Definitely NOT PC, but that's ok! LOL.

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

True. Most people think Garbo said "I vont to be alone" in Grand Hotel, but she had already said that line months earlier as a reaction to being crowded by Brent's rear end.

• Haha 1

George Brent did have a couple of things going for him as a ladies' man: 1) He was there. 2) He was straight.

I'm another fan of Lupe Velez. The Half Naked Truth is a good comedy, too. A good script, and Gregory La Cava was an able director.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

YES, IT'S TRUE! Brent was quite the ladies man...........

He was a native Irishman, I swear its in their blood. 

(fans self)

(Is it a stereotype if it's not necessarily a bad thing?)

ps- sometimes I feel like the Blanche Devereaux of these message boards

• Haha 1