Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

YAY! MIRIAM HOPKINS DAY!

Pretty much everything is something interesting; although I'm not a fan of OLD ACQUAINTANCE (1943) and I wish they could/would show BECKY SHARP (for which she received her sole Best Actress nomination)

BARBARY COAST on at noon as a pairing for her and EDWARD G. ROBINSON.

at 8:00 tonight is ERNST LUBITSCH's TROUBLE IN PARADISE, there is not a more perfect film out there than this one.

• Like 2

Friday, August 17

Barbra Streisand

maxresdefault.jpg

4 a.m.  Up the Sandbox (1972).  But only in America.  Canada has a rerun of What’s Up Doc? (1972)

56 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, August 17

Barbra Streisand

4 a.m.  Up the Sandbox (1972).  But only in America.  Canada has a rerun of What’s Up Doc? (1972)

I hadn't planned on recording anything on Streisand day, but I decided to bite the bullet and record the four I haven't seen: The Owl & the PussycatWhat's Up, Doc?Up the Sandbox, and The Main Event. If I watch those four, I'll have seen all but one of her movies, For Pete's Sake (1974). Yay?

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I hadn't planned on recording anything on Streisand day, but I decided to bite the bullet and record the four I haven't seen: The Owl & the PussycatWhat's Up, Doc?Up the Sandbox, and The Main Event. If I watch those four, I'll have seen all but one of her movies, For Pete's Sake (1974). Yay?

I liked The Owl and the Pussycat.

For those interested in seeing legends who didn't make too many films, TCM is showing tomorrow a film with Gertrude Lawrence called "Men Are Not Gods" from 1936. Sure, one does get to see her in things like "The Glass Menagerie" but it is nice to see one of her other films too, since most are not shown frequently.

MEN ARE NOT GODS ( 1936)

A secretary to an eccentric drama critic is persuaded to alter a ruinous review of a Shakespearean actor and falls in love with him.

Dir:  Walter Reisch Cast:  Miriam Hopkins Gertrude Lawrence Sebastian Shaw .

BW- 83 mins, CC,

17 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

For those interested in seeing legends who didn't make too many films, TCM is showing tomorrow a film with Gertrude Lawrence called "Men Are Not Gods" from 1936. Sure, one does get to see her in things like "The Glass Menagerie" but it is nice to see one of her other films too, since most are not shown frequently.

MEN ARE NOT GODS ( 1936)

A secretary to an eccentric drama critic is persuaded to alter a ruinous review of a Shakespearean actor and falls in love with him.

Dir:  Walter Reisch Cast:  Miriam Hopkins Gertrude Lawrence Sebastian Shaw .

BW- 83 mins, CC,

That was on today, not tomorrow. It went off almost 5 hours ago. But thanks for the recommendation, in case it's on again.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That was on today, not tomorrow. It went off almost 5 hours ago. But thanks for the recommendation, in case it's on again.

Did I mention I am on Venusian time, Lawrence?

Sorry about that, as Don Adams would say...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yentl gives one the opportunity to see Mandy Patinkin and various other gentlemen naked in an outdoor bathing scene, should one be so inclined.

Lawrence, concerning your unseen Streisand films: I think What's Up, Doc? is moderately amusing, and some like it better than that. Bogdanovich is doing his "homage" to Bringing Up Baby, but Ryan O'Neal is no Cary Grant, as you have no doubt observed. The Main Event re-teams Streisand and O'Neill, and I remember this as being harmless fluff. I've seen at least some of The Owl and the Pussycat, and regardless of the material, George Segal is a heck of a lot better actor than Ryan O'Neill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone seen Up the Sandbox? I've never seen it and wonder if it's worth recording? (space on the DVR is at a premium right now)......I know it wasnt a hit at the time (Not that means anything......)

I'm not staying up till 4am to watch it.......

13 hours ago, Hibi said:

Has anyone seen Up the Sandbox? I've never seen it and wonder if it's worth recording? (space on the DVR is at a premium right now)......I know it wasnt a hit at the time (Not that means anything......)

I've never even heard of it...and I have intermediate familiarity with LA STREISAND.

that's a very very late 60s early 70s sounding title if ever there was one though. Anyone want to explain what it means?

Saturday, August 18

Clark Gable

commanddecision1958.71324_102820131255.j

2 p.m.  Command Decision (1948).  Bomber Command in WWII.  I’m a sucker for these films.  My father was a tail gunner and the sole survivor when his Halifax crashed in 1942.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Hibi said:

I've never seen it (and have no desire to) but I remember it being advertised, with a clip featuring a dance between Streisand and some Cuban dictator:

ctdxiTA.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've never even heard of it...and I have intermediate familiarity with LA STREISAND.

that's a very very late 60s early 70s sounding title if ever there was one though. Anyone want to explain what it means?

I remember it came out around Christmas time and was based on a book. I wouldn't say it was a bomb, but not a big grosser. I think critics were mixed. I may record it for curiosity's sake..

• Thanks 1

Up the Sandbox was a best-selling novel. The title is, of course, a variation on "up your [whatever]." The woman is rebelling against traditional roles for women, like mom of kid playing in sandbox. Among other things, the woman fantasizes about having a lover who's involved in revolutionary politics. The novel came out at pretty much the time that Tom Wolfe coined the phrase "radical chic."

I haven't read the book or seen the movie. Dark Shadows fans might be interested that David Selby (who can forget him as Quentin Collins?) plays Streisand's husband. The movie was not a hit.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Up the Sandbox was a best-selling novel. The title is, of course, a variation on "up your [whatever]." The woman is rebelling against traditional roles for women, like mom of kid playing in sandbox. Among other things, the woman fantasizes about having a lover who's involved in revolutionary politics. The novel came out at pretty much the time that Tom Wolfe coined the phrase "radical chic."

I haven't read the book or seen the movie. Dark Shadows fans might be interested that David Selby (who can forget him as Quentin Collins?) plays Streisand's husband. The movie was not a hit.

1. thanks for the FYI

2. I can't forget DAVID SELBY as DAVID SELBY- he was A FINE PIECE OF MAN. With the chops, without the chops- whatever. I'll take it.

18 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I've never seen it (and have no desire to) but I remember it being advertised, with a clip featuring a dance between Streisand and some Cuban dictator:

ctdxiTA.png

That's funny, for some reason CASTRO seems like one of the few people STREISAND would maybe get along all right with in real life. (they could discuss torturing dissidents for days on end )

LOL. From what I've gathered there are a lot of fantasy sequences and audiences were probably confused. (bored housewife's internal life....)

Playwright Paul Zindel (Marigolds) wrote the screenplay.

26 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1. thanks for the FYI

2. I can't forget DAVID SELBY as DAVID SELBY- he was A FINE PIECE OF MAN. With the chops, without the chops- whatever. I'll take it.

He was at the Dark Shadows 50th anniversary getogether and still looked good!

• Like 2

Sunday, August 19

Judy Garland

019.jpg

3 a.m.  Judgment at Nuremberg (1961).  Garland’s best screen performance IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Also coming on tomorrow 8/19 at 10 PM is one of my favorite Gershwin musicals Girl Crazy.

220px-Girl_crazy.jpg

I really recommend it.

Monday August 20 is Stewart Granger day. I just am not into Mr. Granger as I find his film presence and his films completely uninspiring. I would recommend two shorts. "Bubbles" from 1930 is very weird and has Judy Garland when she was still one of the Gumm(?) sisters.  Also I'd recommend "Good Morning Eve!" as a very early Technicolor short. The humor can be hammy but for some reason Leon Errol has always appealed to me. I just wish TCM would show "Service With a Smile" again, which is another amusing early Technicolor short.

Hopefully this comment won't generate the firestorm that was ignited when I criticized Universal in the 40s.

• Thanks 1

Monday, August 20

Stewart Granger

captain-boycott-5.jpg

6 a.m.  Captain Boycott (1947).  I’ll go with the earliest Granger.  Well cut me liver, it's got Alastair Sim and Mervyn Johns in it!

41 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Monday August 20 is Stewart Granger day. I just am not into Mr. Granger as I find his film presence and his films completely uninspiring. I would recommend two shorts. "Bubbles" from 1930 is very weird and has Judy Garland when she was still one of the Gumm(?) sisters.  Also I'd recommend "Good Morning Eve!" as a very early Technicolor short. The humor can be hammy but for some reason Leon Errol has always appealed to me. I just wish TCM would show "Service With a Smile" again, which is another amusing early Technicolor short.

Hopefully this comment won't generate the firestorm that was ignited when I criticized Universal in the 40s.

No, in fact I TOTALLY agree. GRANGER was a fine piece of man, but a real drip as an actor, and outside of CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA has never been in anything that I thought was terribly substantial.

**although I have not seen his entire ouevre.

I also am not a hardcore Universal aficianado outside of the horror movies, but I don't like HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and I hate HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945) if that makes you feel any better.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 12:03 PM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, August 19

Judy Garland

019.jpg

3 a.m.  Judgment at Nuremberg (1961).  Garland’s best screen performance IMO.

and a very valid opinion it is, although I think WIZARD/A STAR IS BORN are her twin triumphs, you could also build a solid case that her work in I COULD GO ON SINGING! (1963) is the outstanding performance of her career, given the verite nature of it all.

but yeah, she is REALLY GOOD in NUREMBURG.