Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS seems to be set in a Metropolis where the population is about 12 people, tops, and they all keep running into and passing one another with the precision of a Restoration Farce. I love Fritz Lang but it's some lazy filmmaking.

Worth a look just because Rhonda Fleming shows plenty of herself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Worth a look just because Rhonda Fleming shows plenty of herself.

The movie should have been titled 'While Vincent Price Sleeps' because that is all he was getting from Fleming. 

Now,  James Craig;  that lucky guy wasn't getting any sleep!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I caught Judge Priest. Fetchit's character is very crude and racist but I liked the judge character. He seemed very sentimental and "John Ford-ish." It's an okay film if you ignore the racist parts.

judge2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dana Andrews is someone whom I've only discovered over the past year or two.  I really like him.  He especially impressed me in the two films he made with Gene Tierney--Laura and Where the Sidewalk Ends.

I agree about While the City Sleeps.  I thought it was good, but definitely not the best Fritz Lang film that I've seen.  I remember wishing that the film had more Ida Lupino.  She was my favorite character in the film.

Tomorrow I am recording:

Fallen Angel.  I watched part of this movie the last time it was on, but fell asleep.  That wasn't the fault of the film however.  I think I made the fatal mistake of laying down on the couch, which is usually game-over for me.  I'd like to see how the film ends.

The Ox-Bow Incident.  I've never seen this film before.  Westerns aren't my favorite genre, but based on the reviews here in the thread, I'm going to give it a try. 

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt.  I haven't seen this one before and I also like Joan Fontaine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Dana Andrews is someone whom I've only discovered over the past year or two.  I really like him.  He especially impressed me in the two films he made with Gene Tierney--Laura and Where the Sidewalk Ends.

I agree about While the City Sleeps.  I thought it was good, but definitely not the best Fritz Lang film that I've seen.  I remember wishing that the film had more Ida Lupino.  She was my favorite character in the film.

Tomorrow I am recording:

Fallen Angel.  I watched part of this movie the last time it was on, but fell asleep.  That wasn't the fault of the film however.  I think I made the fatal mistake of laying down on the couch, which is usually game-over for me.  I'd like to see how the film ends.

The Ox-Bow Incident.  I've never seen this film before.  Westerns aren't my favorite genre, but based on the reviews here in the thread, I'm going to give it a try. 

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt.  I haven't seen this one before and I also like Joan Fontaine. 

I think THE OX-BOW INCIDENT is one of the truly greatest films ever.  I'll be looking for your comments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

THE OX-BOW INCIDENT both is and isn’t a Western. at least, it’s not a typical one. It’s something of an unusual hybrid of western, Greek tragedy, filmed stage play and early film noir.

but it works on all fronts...

(even if Mary Beth Hughes’  immaculate, atomic blonde power coif is more than a little anachronistic)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

oh and...

A lot of people here really like FALLEN ANGEL (1945) a lot; I don't.

I like Dana Andrews and I love LINDA DARNELL**, but this film bears all the Hallmarks of being extensively reworked while it was being shot (which in fact, it was) to minimize Alice Faye and maximize Linda Darnell's role (which is fine) and to try and make it into a variation of LAURA which had been such a hit the year before (an attempt which is decidedly halfassed)

(that last bit really isn't a spoiler- it more follows the obsession angle than any particular plot point or twist in LAURA)

i tend to like Fox noirs, but this is one I just cannot with (seen it once, didn't like it; have tried rewatching several times and couldn't make it to the end each time)

plus i feel bad for ALICE FAYE because she looks terrible in the movie.

**where is Arturo?

copied and pasted selectively from the (extensive) imdb trivia section for THE OX BOW INCIDENT (1943): (NO SPOILERS, I swear!)

Although made in 1941, this sat on the shelf for two years as 20th Century-Fox had no idea how to market a film with such inflammatory politics.

Director William A. Wellman loved the novel "The Ox-Bow Incident" and had long wanted to make it into a film, but the rights-holders insisted that he cast Mae West in any adaptation, which Wellman thought was ridiculous. Finally, Wellman bought the rights himself, and proceeded to make the film "his" way.

The role played by Henry Fonda was originally offered to Gary Cooper, who turned it down.

The production on the film would be shut down for a week or ten days "due to the $5,000-per-film limit on new construction materials." During the shutdown, already used sets were torn down so that their material could be re-used to build the mountain pass set. Studio publicity noted that the Ox-Bow Valley setting was "the largest set ever constructed" by Fox, and that it covered 26,703 feet.

One of a select group of films to secure just one Oscar nomination, albeit in the Best Picture category. Counting only official nominations, other members in this club include The Racket (1928), East Lynne (1931), Trader Horn (1931), Five Star Final (1931), One Hour with You (1932), The Smiling Lieutenant (1931), Grand Hotel (1932), Smilin' Through (1932), She Done Him Wrong (1933), Here Comes the Navy (1934), The House of Rothschild (1934), Ruggles of Red Gap (1935), Libeled Lady (1936), La Grande Illusion (1937), and One Foot in Heaven (1941).

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

oh and...

A lot of people here really like FALLEN ANGEL (1945) a lot; I don't.

I like Dana Andrews and I love LINDA DARNELL**, but this film bears all the Hallmarks of being extensively reworked while it was being shot (which in fact, it was) to minimize Alice Faye and maximize Linda Darnell's role (which is fine) and to try and make it into a variation of LAURA which had been such a hit the year before (an attempt which is decidedly halfassed)

(that last bit really isn't a spoiler- it more follows the obsession angle than any particular plot point or twist in LAURA)

i tend to like Fox noirs, but this is one I just cannot with (seen it once, didn't like it; have tried rewatching several times and couldn't make it to the end each time)

plus i feel bad for ALICE FAYE because she looks terrible in the movie.

**where is Arturo?

Arturo is busy in the off topics section!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thursday, August 23

Virginia Mayo

Flaxy-Martin-2-1-620x400.jpg

8 p.m.  Flaxy Martin (1949).  The dvd offer says ‘Flaxy Martin is one of the most fatal femme fatales ever to sear the screen.’  Co-starring Zachary Scott and Dorothy Malone.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Arturo is busy in the off topics section!

well, tell him to get his butt back here!

(I'm TERRIBLE about wandering outside of General Discussions)

He sometimes will pop up over here, but not like he used to. He is missed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 23

Virginia Mayo

Flaxy-Martin-2-1-620x400.jpg

"... the best rear of my wives .."

• Haha 4

For tonight I'd pick "Where The Sidewalk Ends", one of Fox's great noirs with a meaningless title. Here Dana Andrews plays a detective who beats up every hood he encounters partly because his dad was a hood,  and because dad got the current big cheese in the underworld, Tommy Scalise (Gary Merrill), his start in crime. Mr. Merrill looks about as Italian as a Cro-Magnon man, in fact he actually resembles Cro-Magnon man, but that's another story. Andrews is already in trouble with the boss because of his roughing up the perps, and then he is basically a victim of circumstance in a situation that nobody will ever believe. The entire cast is great here. The only characterization that made me go "huh?" was Gene Tierney playing the daughter of a cab driver like she is a Park Avenue debutante.

For tomorrow I'd pick "Flaxy Martin". This film shows that Zachary Scott was more than just a WWII placeholder for the leading men who were away at war. He's a lawyer who has crooked clients and gets framed for murder. Virginia Mayo is supposed to be his girl, but she is not on the level. Mayo is good, glamorous, and you never know what she'll do next.

The Virginia Mayo film that I wish was on tomorrow? It would probably be a TCM premiere - "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye". Olive Films has it on DVD, and it reteams Mayo with James Cagney in what is basically Caged Heat in an alternate universe.

Oh, did you know that Bette Davis told WB that Virginia Mayo would have been a much better fit as Rosa Moline in "Beyond the Forest" than she was? I think Bette was right about that.

• Like 3

Shadowed(1946).  I recorded this but missed credits and watched it yesterday.  It was on 08/21 for Anita Louise day.  I kept listening to younger daughter "Ginny" and looking at her.  Finally decided it was Terry Moore based mainly on the voice.  Sure enough it was her, but Wikipedia shows she was known as Helen Koford then (age 17).  She sounded much like she did in Two of a Kind (1951).

• Like 1

Friday, August 24

Peter Lorre

HOLIDAY-IN-SPAIN-aka-Scent-of-Mystery-47

5:45 p.m.  Scent of Mystery (1960).  with Denholm Elliott, Diana Dors and …. Elizabeth Taylor?

• Like 2

OH YAY! 

Didn’t know Peter Lorre was getting a second (?) SUTS day!!!

He had one a couple of years ago, and I remember it quite fondly. Just wall-to-wall great stuff on all day and night.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, August 24

Peter Lorre

HOLIDAY-IN-SPAIN-aka-Scent-of-Mystery-47

5:45 p.m.  Scent of Mystery (1960).  with Denholm Elliott, Diana Dors and …. Elizabeth Taylor?

This film was originally released in "Smell-O-Vision." I'm thinking of inviting my drunk Uncle Jerry over so I can re-create something of the experience.

I just have to keep him away from my budgies. One time he hovered near their cage too long and the next thing I knew one of the birds was lying on the bottom of the cage singing Melancholy Baby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For Peter Lorre Day, try The Mask of Dimitrios. Lorre plays the normal guy! Excellent film, a kind of film noir version of Citizen Kane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Saturday, August 25

Carroll Baker

bridgetothesun1961_64_678x380_0214201401

10 p.m.  Bridge to the Sun (1961).  Inter-racial love story with James Shigeta.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/23/2018 at 9:59 AM, TheCid said:

Shadowed(1946).  I recorded this but missed credits and watched it yesterday.  It was on 08/21 for Anita Louise day.  I kept listening to younger daughter "Ginny" and looking at her.  Finally decided it was Terry Moore based mainly on the voice.  Sure enough it was her, but Wikipedia shows she was known as Helen Koford then (age 17).  She sounded much like she did in Two of a Kind (1951).

This is what I call great movie detection work.

Thanks for sharing with us all, TheCid!

I'm very disappointed that STAR 80 (1983) is on circa four in the morning on Carroll Baker's SUTS Day. Been wanting to see that one for a while now.

I guess I can DVR it, but **** me if I can ever find something on my television once I DVR it...

Am sure its there for the subject matter. I didnt like it (saw it when it came out), so wont be recording it.......

Sunday, August 26

Anthony Quinn

virna-lisi-autograph.jpg

midnight.  The 25th Hour (1967).  with Virna Lisi and Michael Redgrave.  I haven’t seen this one,

• Like 2