Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

But Speedracer,there was someone who didn't like Fred Astaire.

Wasn't it a talent scout for a studio who said all he could see in Fred was that he was balding and could dance a little.

Not too complimentary.

Fred's looks are a turn-off for her.  The romantic pretence in his films does not work for her.  What can I say?    

I have tried to encourage her to get past that hurdle but to no avail.

I like Marie Dressler films but I would much prefer to date Marlene Dietrich.

My wife loves Fred's dancing and in that regard he is her favorite dancer but she doesn't find him attractive and she doesn't enjoy his singing.    She does feel he has a certain amount of charm but nothing close to William Powell or other actors known for that quality.

My wife loves Fred's dancing and in that regard he is her favorite dancer but she doesn't find him attractive and she doesn't enjoy his singing.    She does feel he has a certain amount of charm but nothing close to William Powell or other actors known for that quality.

While I admit he's nifty on his feet, I'm fairly indifferent to Fred Astaire. However, I did like him very much in 'Ghost Story' (1981). No dancing or singing in that one - just some serious worry for old Fred.

well, there's no Kent Smith day (thankfully) but yes, good point.

I was hoping for a Henry Hull day, myself.

• Like 1

Thursday, August 6

What’s it all about …

Michael Caine day.

6 a.m.  Beyond the Poseidon Adventure (1979).  The cheese factor is intriguing.

9:45 a.m.  Billion Dollar Brain (1967).  Haven’t seen this Harry Palmer in yonks.

Thursday, August 6

What’s it all about …

Michael Caine day.

That's the name of his autobiography, I believe.

All times E.S.T.:

TCM aired "The Poseidon Adventure" & "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure" back-to-back- this past June.  I would call BTPA "so bad it's good"--JMO. :)

11:45 a.m.--"Pulp"--(1972)--have never seen it, but has an intriguing cast

3:30 p.m.--"The Man Who Would Be King--(1975)--Based on the Kipling story, a grand adventure with Michael Caine & Sean Connery, directed by John Huston.

I think there were 3 'Harry Palmer' movies starring Michael Caine; TCM is showing 2 of them and I think the title of the HP movie not being aired is "Funeral in Berlin" from '66. 

• Like 1

I think there were 3 'Harry Palmer' movies starring Michael Caine; TCM is showing 2 of them and I think the title of the HP movie not being aired is "Funeral in Berlin" from '66. 

Caine actually did 2 more Harry Palmer films in the 90's:  Bullet to Bejing (1995) and Midnight in Saint Petersburg (1996)

FUNERAL IN BERLIN (1966) was the 2nd of the three 'Michael Caine/Harry Palmer' movies.  Another Michael Caine spy movie, this one from Universal Pictures:  "BLACK WINDMILL, The" (1974-UK).

EDIT:  I posted the ^above^ before I saw your post, Bogie.  I didn't know Caine had made two more movies as 'Harry Palmer' in the '90s. 

It would be lovely if TCM could obtain all of the Harry Palmer movies for showing.

Great character, great actor.

I'm looking forward to sitting down to Michael Caine night later.  I highly recommend "Deathtrap" to those who haven't seen it.  "The Swarm" would be a kind of a guilty pleasure for me but I'm sure I won't be awake to see it.   :)

Friday, August 7

I think all of these Kate Hepburn films have been done to death, have they not?  At least those of us on the boards are likely to think so.

I was hoping for a Henry Hull day, myself.

Kay, can I be your new best friend?

I love Henry Hull! I'll watch anything with him in it.

My grandma actually saw him in a play way back in the 1920's and kept the original program which I own now.

Maybe we can start a fan club for him?

• Like 1

All times E.S.T--the only 2 films I haven't seen & one I last saw more than 20 years ago:

10:00 a..m.--Quality Street--(1937)--George Stevens directed this.

12:30 a.m.--Mary of Scotland--(1936)--from all I've read & heard, was Not a success.  Plan to see it anyway.

saw this last film more than 20 years ago--am going on memory here.  You've been warned.

4:00 a.m.--Undercurrent--(1946)--From what I remember, KH played this as comedy the 1st hour, & film wasn't bad--the rest of the film, KH played "damsel in distress", which just didn't fit KH.  I kept wondering when KH was going to grab a fireplace poker (the film was full of fireplaces) & just whack RT over the head & bury him.   Dithering nitwits were out of her acting range, IMO.  KH always projected intelligence, regardless of the role she was playing--& that's meant as a compliment.

I'm looking forward to sitting down to Michael Caine night later.  I highly recommend "Deathtrap" to those who haven't seen it.  "The Swarm" would be a kind of a guilty pleasure for me but I'm sure I won't be awake to see it.   :)

OMG! I didnt realize Deathtrap was going to be on. I have just enough time to rush home and program it. I swore I checked the sched the other day and it wasnt on there! Very good who dun it. (though if you've seen it you know the surprise) Havent seen it in years.

• Like 1

Swarm, The (1978)

Oh No!

Bees!!

Aggg..... Bees!!

No, No, not Bees!!

Help, help, Bees!

Ohhhhhh, Bees!!

Not Bees, please...... please NOT BEES!

How about Harold LLoyd instead?

Or maybe some early Vivian Leigh films?

Or Jean Harlow in RED DUST?? :)

tumblr_n6uq7wJnvj1r1ouklo2_500.gif

tumblr_nnozdn0fvH1utmdtuo2_500.gif

Thanks so much for the update. I would've missed recording Deathtrap if not for this! :D I had to delete something, but that's ok (2nd time deleting that film w/out watching it, so I guess it can wait!)

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the update. I would've missed recording Deathtrap if not for this! :D I had to delete something, but that's ok (2nd time deleting that film w/out watching it, so I guess it can wait!)

I haven't seen Deathtrap in years, either.  I wish I wasn't at work now, but watching it.  I also saw it when it first came out.

I haven't seen Deathtrap in years, either.  I wish I wasn't at work now, but watching it.  I also saw it when it first came out.

Yes, I did too. I've seen it a few times since, but not in a long time. Rarely pops up on TCM either...

Kay, can I be your new best friend?

I love Henry Hull! I'll watch anything with him in it.

My grandma actually saw him in a play way back in the 1920's and kept the original program which I own now.

Maybe we can start a fan club for him?

Hah, then no doubt you're far more familiar with his work than I am. I haven't seen a whole lot, really, Master of The World being my usual mental reference. Probably my favorite thing about that film. I want to see more of his films, so yeah, I wish he was getting a day.

Hah, then no doubt you're far more familiar with his work than I am. I haven't seen a whole lot, really, Master of The World being my usual mental reference. Probably my favorite thing about that film. I want to see more of his films, so yeah, I wish he was getting a day.

Henry Hull played Wilfred Glendon in my favorite werewolf movie ever: Werewolf of London (1935). Mysterious, serious, funny, well acted and produced, it's a gem. 

werewolf-of-london.jpg

• Like 1

Henry Hull played Wilfred Glendon in my favorite werewolf movie ever: Werewolf of London (1935). Mysterious, serious, funny, well acted and produced, it's a gem. 

Yeah, that one would get a prime slot on his SUTS day, to put a wish within a wish. Has it ever come on TCM before? Needless to say I've never seen it.

werewolf-of-london.jpg

And his hair was perfect.

• Like 1