Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

I'll also offer up that WEREWOLF OF LONDON is excellent, just a charming, eccentric and wonderfully acted and stylish little film, rather unlike most of the Universal horrors in that it has a fair amount of comedy going on (but the humor is not out of place.) Great art direction and quintessentially British- you'd think it was a James Whale film, but it's not.

It's not entirely unlike DOWNTON ABBEY with werewolves.

• Like 1

Saturday, August 8

Yeah, Raymond Massey!!!  b.  Aug. 30, 1896 Toronto

1:30 p.m.  Seven Angry Men (1955) with Massey as John Brown.  One of his best performances.

3:15 p.m.  The Naked and the Dead (1958).  Good Bernard Herrmann score,

10:15 p.m.  Abe Lincoln In Illinois (1940).  I don’t think this has been on in a while.  Another in a string of Canadians playing American presidents.  What's next?  Ted Cruz?

• Like 1

Sunday, August 9

Criss Cross ... Robert Walker day and I have lots to record.

8 a.m.  Vengeance Valley (1951)

4 p.m.  Song of Love (1947)

10 p.m.  See Here Private Hargrove (1944)

midnight.  What Next, Corporal Hargrove (1945)

1:45 a.m.  The Beginning or the End (1947)

BTW ... Hold old was Robert when his voice finally broke?

Sunday, August 9

Criss Cross ... Robert Walker day and I have lots to record.

8 a.m.  Vengeance Valley (1951)

4 p.m.  Song of Love (1947)

10 p.m.  See Here Private Hargrove (1944)

midnight.  What Next, Corporal Hargrove (1945)

1:45 a.m.  The Beginning or the End (1947)

BTW ... Hold old was Robert when his voice finally broke?

I like Robert Walker sometimes - especially in Strangers on a Train. I can't stand his acting though when he pulls his "naive young innocent" sctick and uses a phony forced vocal delivery. Bataan and Since You Went Away are prime examples of this.

I caught some of it yesterday afternoon.

Not one of Dyan Cannon's more subtle performances.

I saw part of it too and I was wondering if Dyan Cannon's manicness was explained at some point in the movie.

She seems quite low key in other things I've seen her in.

I saw part of it too and I was wondering if Dyan Cannon's manicness was explained at some point in the movie.

She seems quite low key in other things I've seen her in.

With all questions and mysterys connected to HOLLYWOOD, cocaine is usually the explanation.

Monday, August 10

Put away those wire coat hangers, Joan’s back.

6 a.m.  The Unknown (1927) with one of my favourites, Lon Chaney.  I saw this on the ‘big’ screen at the Barbican in London but unfortunately the presentation of the film was ruined by a rap DJ who was trying his hardest to outdo the film instead of accompanying it.  So, I’m glad to get a copy of it today.

7:15 a.m.  West Point (1928).  Haven’t seen this one.

11:45 p.m.  The Damned Don’t Cry (1950).  Joan and the mob.  Sounds intriguing.

"Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger.  Pepsi, Pepsi, Pepsi."

• Like 2

Also interesting--All times E.S.T.:

9:00 a.m.--"Our Dancing Daughters--(1928)--Joan is a Jazz Age girl  in this silent(?) which has a synchronized music soundtrack & off-screen noises.

10:30 a.m.--"Dancing Lady"--(1933)--Fred Astaire makes his film debut in an odd routine with Joan--Clark Gable also stars--look for the Three Stooges & glimpse Eve Arden.

3:30 p.m.--"The Women"--(1939)--classic comedy--must--see or record--if you haven't seen it before.

10:00 p.m.--Flamingo Road"--(1949)--Joan vs. society & mobsters--or vice versa.

• Like 1

Tuesday, August 11

I'm sure many of us are pleased that TCM is honouring Rex Ingram.

Unfortunately in Canada we are not getting The Green Pastures at 8 p.m. which is the film I would have liked to have seen.  It is being replaced by Your Cheatin’ Heart which is also on at 4 in the morning.

midnight.  Sahara (1943).  I really like Ingram in this WWII desert picture.  With Bogie of course.

2 a.m.  Anna Lucasta (1958).  An Eartha Kitt movie.  Lovely, talented lady.

• Like 1

All times E.S.T.--U.S. schedule

8:00 p.m.--"The Green Pastures"--(1936)--highly regarded film I haven't seen

10:00 p.m.--"Cabin in the Sky"--(1943)--all African-American musical--is Wonderful--Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, Ethel Waters, & Lena Horne star. Directed by Vincente Minnelli.

Tuesday, August 11

I'm sure many of us are pleased that TCM is honouring Rex Ingram.

2 a.m.  Anna Lucasta (1958).  An Eartha Kitt movie.  Lovely, talented lady.

Anna Lucasta is easily the highlight of the day.  It's one of a tiny number of serious dramas of its era centered on African Americans, and it's a welcome respite from the likes of Tarzan's Hidden Jungle and The Green Pastures.  It's nice to see Rex Ingram being honored, but it's rather telling that of the thirteen feature films on the schedule, he receives one of TCM's top three billings in exactly one of them.

• Like 1

10:00 p.m.--"Cabin in the Sky"--(1943)--all African-American musical--is Wonderful--Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, Ethel Waters, & Lena Horne star. Directed by Vincente Minnelli.

I showed that to two "musical haters" and they still talk about how much they loved it.

How can you go wrong with Ethel Waters?

• Like 2

All times E.S.T., Wed, Aug. 12th:

8:00 a.m.--"My Forbidden Past"--(1951)--Robert Mitchum & Ava Gardner in silly melodrama in 1800's New Orleans--very watchable.  

1:15 p.m.--"Blood On the Moon"--(1948)-- Mitchum is hired thug, decides he doesn't like what he was hired for--Mitchum's excellent, & has a powerful supporting cast in this western.

10:45 p.m.--"Thunder Road"--(1958)--Tennessee, moonshine, Chicago gangsters, & a hit title song.

• Like 3

Wednesday, August 12

Baby, I Don’t Care it’s Robert Mitchum day.

8 a.m.  My Forbidden Past (1951).  And it has Ava Gardner in it too.

4:45 p.m.  The Hunters (1958).  Looking forward to this one too.

• Like 2