Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Saw some of The Outlaw last night. Wow, is Howard Hughes a bad director. Jane Russell and Jack Beutel really do not know how to act. Other directors helped the young Jane Russell, who became a competent actress. Beutel didn't get the chance to learn, stuck in that seven-year contract with Hughes. Mimi Aguglia as Aunt Guadalupe (Aunt Loopy Waddle is more like it) is amateurish and over the top, though fun in a campy way. In the midst of this mess Walter Huston gives a fine performance just as if he were in a real film with a real director.

I'm guessing the overuse of a theme from Tchaikovsky's Pathetique Symphony is another of Howard Hughes' bad ideas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, December 1

Here we go.  The last month of the year … already.  Anyone else feel like the years are speeding up?  I have this feeling in my gut that they are and I believe my gut more than I do the scientists. :D

unnamed-2.jpg

10 a.m.   Popeye: Bridge Ahoy! (1936).

story_of_g.i._joe_2.jpg

3:30 p.m.  The Story of G.I. Joe (1945).  With Robert Mitchum’s Oscar nominated performance.

• Like 3

11/20/18 at 5:00 pm, a little PreCode delight called BLONDE CRAZY (1931)

Here's what I wrote about it when last it aired:

BLONDE CRAZY (1931) -CAGNEY and BLONDELL

The title is the only thing that isn't clever in this complete and utter delight of a pre-code movie.

Cagney is a scheming bellhop and Blondell is a new chambermaid at a small hotel in the Midwest. They pair up and start rolling suckers, starting with the OG of Suckers: Guy Kibbee and make their way to the big leagues. Cagney is pure electricity and I don't think there was ever a more likable movie star than BLONDELL.slightly uneven in the third act, but it's really no big deal. A very compelling and watchable crime/caper/romance film, with lots of eye-opening precode touches (underwear! Hooch! Obvious premarital sex!)

I think Pat O'Brien ended up co-opting Cagneys intriguing way of saying the word "Baaaaaaaaby" for his later appearance in the Harlow film BOMBSHELL...I bet a lot of ladies in 1931 had to put up with their men doing the same.

God, Cagney is like a sexy, incredibly watchable version of the Lucky Charms leprechaun.

Aside: I was really surprised to hear a reference – apparently – to Albert Einstein in this, I did not realize he was a worldwide name in 1931.

Source- TCM ON DEMAND

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, December 1

Here we go.  The last month of the year … already.  Anyone else feel like the years are speeding up?  I have this feeling in my gut that they are and I believe my gut more than I do the scientists. :D

unnamed-2.jpg

10 a.m.   Popeye: Bridge Ahoy! (1936).

A saturday without Popeye is a saturday I do not want.

• Like 1

And let's not forget a true classic:  The Wonderful World of Tupperware at 4:30 AM early Sat. morning, Dec. 01.

Since TCM seems to be showing a lot of Westerns on Saturday morning, it would be nice if they would show some Gene Autrys.  Since StarzEncore Western channel stopped showing them, I really miss them.  Not quite enough to buy the DVD's though.  Some are pretty good, but some are not so the DVD sets can be a mixed bag.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, TheCid said:

And let's not forget a true classic:  The Wonderful World of Tupperware at 4:30 AM early Sat. morning, Dec. 01.

Since TCM seems to be showing a lot of Westerns on Saturday morning, it would be nice if they would show some Gene Autrys.  Since StarzEncore Western channel stopped showing them, I really miss them.  Not quite enough to buy the DVD's though.  Some are pretty good, but some are not so the DVD sets can be a mixed bag.

I love The Wonderful World of Tupperware! 

'Tupperware,' along with Match Your Mood, are my two favorite shorts on TCM. 

• Like 1

- saw  The Manchu Eagle Murder Caper Mystery by chance late Fri

& actually found it pretty funny :D

"....As lame as the premise and some of the situations are in this story, many viewers have found it surprisingly funny in the off-beat, over-the-top manner of later spoofs like Airplane! (1980) and The Naked Gun (1988). As Dan Stumpf put it in his "Mystery File" blog, the picture "proceeds merrily on its way to no place special, speeded along by zany characters, neck-snapping non sequiturs, and a shoot-out like something out of Monty Python.

And it caps off with a surprisingly thoughtful (and quite funny) discourse on the folly of pursuing dreams and why we do it anyway. In all, a rough little gem but one worth seeing."

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/82799/The-Manchu-Eagle-Murder-Caper-Mystery/articles.html

Anyone else catch it? :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/29/2018 at 11:27 AM, LawrenceA said:

Just a heads-up that showing that same night at 2:00 AM ET, before I Was a Teenage Serial Killer, is a later film from the same writer-director Sarah Jacobson entitled Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore (1996). It's listed as a drama, so it likely won't be as outrageous, but it may be worth a look. Personally, I had never heard of, let alone seen, either of these, so kudos to TCM for airing some real obscurities. 

screens.maryjane.1.gif

I watched Serial Killer and about half way through Mary Jane.  I'll finish MJ sometime, but so far not impressed at all. SK was especially bad.

• Like 1
On 11/30/2018 at 2:03 PM, Ampersand said:

A saturday without Popeye is a saturday I do not want.

And a good cartoon too with Popeye constructing an entire bridge by himself and Wimpy leaving Popeye to be tortured by Bluto. Also one of the rare instances where Bluto is mean to Olive Oil too (of course usually he tries to kiss up to her).

screenshot-400.jpg

On 11/30/2018 at 5:02 PM, Bogie56 said:

I remember watching the test pattern then Farm news on a Saturday morning before Popeye would come on.

800px-RCA_Indian_Head_Test_Pattern.svg.p

This make you feel nostalgic, Bogie? I recall CBC using this Indian head test pattern a lot when I was a kid and in the years just beyond. I think I saw it on some Buffalo affiliate stations, as well. I never knew why it had the Indian in head dress nor did I care why.  I just thought it was pretty cool.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, December 4

148869_backdrop_scale_1280xauto.jpg

8 p.m.  Norma Rae (1979).  A reminder of the values of a union.  Trickle down didn't work for these people.

I grew up in a South Carolina town that had a unionized paper mill.  Now live in a small S.C. town that only had textile mills.  Huge difference.  Of course, the textile mills are all gone now leaving derelict buildings or brown fields, mill hill housing and so forth.  Trickle down has never worked.

Regardless, this is a good movie and was filmed in N.C. in a mill town if I remember correctly.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, December 5

image-w1280.jpg?1535030505

8 p.m.  Marriage Italian Style (1964).  Wonderful Vittorio De Sica film with Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni.

And a beautiful Sophia below, as noted in a previous post....

1JBl7k8.jpg

• Like 1
22 hours ago, kingrat said:

In honor of Philo Vance day. Ogden Nash was not a fan of the Philo Vance mystery novels and wrote the following poem:

"Philo Vance/needs a kick in the pance."

As much as I think I like these type movies, I just can't get into them.  Love the Thin Man series, but somehow even The Kennel Case isn't quite that appealing.

The whole morning has some very good L&H films. Of the ones I've seen I'd recommend Way Out West the most. I hope to see Pardon Us too. I don't think I've seen it before and it hasn't been on TCM in quite a long time!

MV5BMTQ1NTgyOTYyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDI3

• Like 3

Friday, December 7

hqdefault.jpg

1:45 p.m.  December 7th: The Movie (1943).  John Ford’s Oscar winning  “documentary” short with Walter Huston as Uncle Sam and Dana Andrews as a sailor’s ghost!

Edited by Bogie56
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, December 7

hqdefault.jpg

1:45 p.m.  December 7th: The Movie (1943).  John Ford’s Oscar winning  “documentary” short with Walter Huston as Uncle Sam and Dana Andrews as a sailor’s ghost!

Never realized how much Dana Andrews looked like John Wayne! :)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1