Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

45 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

God for-FREAKIN-bid we make it though a 31 DAYS without GRAN PRIX.

LOL.

11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, March 2

The%20Last%20Picture%20Show%204.jpg

2:45 a.m.  The Last Picture Show (1971).  This proved to be the best film of the careers for many of the people involved.

Timothy Bottoms was so sweet in that film. Figures its on in the middle of the night.

Sunday, March 3

momentofjoy.jpg

10 p.m.  The Heiress (1949).  Olivia de Havilland is sensational in this.

• Like 5

Monday, March 4

125895_full.jpg

2:45 p.m.  The Harder They Fall (1956).  Bogart, Rod Steiger and Jan Sterling are all good in this one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, March 4

125895_full.jpg

2:45 p.m.  The Harder They Fall (1956).  Bogart, Rod Steiger and Jan Sterling are all good in this one.

Really good film. And kudos to the performances of real-life boxers Max Baer (essentially playing himself) and Jersey Joe Walcott.

• Thanks 2

Tuesday, March 5

my-fair-lady-1200-1200-675-675-crop-0000

5 p.m.  My Fair Lady (1964).  I’ll go with this one for the highlight of Rex Harrison day.

• Like 1

I'd rather re-watch Blithe Spirit (1945) 9:15 AM ET, or Night Train to Munich (1940) 3:15 PM ET.

Or better yet, my picks of the day would be Design for Living (1933) 8:00 PM ET, and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931) 9:45 PM ET. A good way to kick off Fredric March month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I'd rather re-watch Blithe Spirit (1945) 9:15 AM ET, or Night Train to Munich (1940) 3:15 PM ET.

Or better yet, my picks of the day would be Design for Living (1933) 8:00 PM ET, and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931) 9:45 PM ET. A good way to kick off Fredric March month.

Blithe Spirit with Margaret Rutherford.  One of my top ten best supporting actress performances of all time.  Not that long ago I saw Angela Lansbury in that role on stage which was pretty good too.  I haven't seen My Fair Lady in ages though.

margaret-rutherford-blithe-spirit-1945-b

• Thanks 1

Oscar Month is over and for the first time in over 25 days, I look at the schedule and see multiple titles in which I am interested.

(Some of which coincidentally, were actually nominated for Oscars and could’ve been shown, but hey, Which of us didn’t thrill at the chance to see GIGI for the 35th time in February?)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I'll second this heartily, BLITHE SPIRIT (and MARGARET RUTHERFORD) are particularly good- stick with it, it gets better with each passing minute.

Also third me on THE HARDER THEY FALL, the only iffy thing about the production, as I recall, is Bogie's toupee. It is otherwise one of his strongest performances, full of life and energy- which is a stunner, because I want to say (am I right?) he was dead within two years of the film's release.

also airing this evening, as the final bout in a day of pugilistic pictures is FAT CITY (1972)- a John Huston film I have not seen that includes performances by STACEY KEACH and SUSAN "RAMONA RICKETS" TYRELL- the latter earned her an Oscar nod for supporting actress.

A lot of people on the boards have cited this one as an example of great acting from both.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Also third me on THE HARDER THEY FALL, the only iffy thing about the production, as I recall, is Bogie's toupee. It is otherwise one of his strongest performances, full of life and energy- which is a stunner, because I want to say (am I right?) he was dead within two years of the film's release.

Actually, he was dead in less than a year after it was released, so technically you are correct. But his toupee survived.

• Like 2

Annette Bochenek @Home2Hollywood 6h6 hours ago

The King of Jazz (1930 film) is on Turner Classic Movies: TCM tonight!

Better yet, it's John Boles night on their end, too!

Gear up for some gorgeous two-strip Technicolor, young Bing Crosby, fun comedy, Paul Whiteman tunes, and so much more! 7pm CST--tonight!! ❤️

D01CFS7WoAAk-fF.jpg
D01CFS5X0AEALnF.jpg
D01CFS7XQAAyzpt.png
D01CFTFXgAER2Km.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bing Crosby along with the Sisters G in "Happy Feet" from The King of Jazz. Thanks Criterion for this lovely restoration.

Wednesday, March 6/7

128062491043112503.jpg

2 a.m.  Kit Carson (1940).  I don’t think I’ve seen this one.  Co-stars Dana Andrews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, March 6/7

128062491043112503.jpg

2 a.m.  Kit Carson (1940).  I don’t think I’ve seen this one.  Co-stars Dana Andrews.

It's a fun movie, saw it on YouTube several years back. Clayton Moore has a small part near the beginning, as I recall. Old-time leading man William Farnum plays Father Miguel Murphy, which makes me curious about the character's ancestry.

Lynn Bari was a good-looking woman. She should have been a bigger star. I've always felt her deep voice may have hindered her in that regard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For Wednesday morning I like Bed of Roses. Constance Bennett is a woman of easy virtue who meets a good man (Joel McCrea, a fine-looking one, too). Pert Kelton gets lots of good lines as the wise-cracking best friend. Nicely directed by Gregory La Cava.

Thursday, March 7

polmovies_allthepresidentsmen.jpg?w=720&

8 p.m.  All the President’s Men (1976).  Still relevant.  :D

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, March 7

polmovies_allthepresidentsmen.jpg?w=720&

8 p.m.  All the President’s Men (1976).  Still relevant.  :D

Sadly.

Yeah, we had a sitting president using the FBI and intelligence services to spy on an opposing party's presidential candidate, and the press sat by and cheered it on because they didn't like the candidate being spied on.