Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

No, I meant You'll Find Out! I've seen Park Row.

HA!

I would've thought you'd seen it! (I know you're also a Lorre fan!)

KAY KYSER and his BAND agree to play a birthday party for a young heiress at her isolated country estate...her wacky aunt hires a medium (LUGOSI) who is conspiring with a local judge (KARLOFF) and weirdo (LORRE) to murder the girl and steal her inheritance.

it owes some debts to THE 13TH CHAIR and NIGHT OF TERROR (1933) if you've seen either, it's got some "comedy" thrown in.

it was actually a huge hit in 1940 and one of the songs was nominated for an Oscar

• Thanks 1

Friday, March 29

Once again my original pick of the day has been dropped from the schedule ... 6:45 a.m.  Big Deal on Madonna Street (1958).  So I will go with this British B ..

peterville-diamond-1943-anne-crawford.jp

morning.  The Peterville Diamond (1943).  Once again the times are not showing up on my schedule sheet for some reason.

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

The Peterville Diamond (1943).  Once again the times are not showing up on my schedule sheet for some reason.

I believe it's 7:00 AM (EDT)

• Thanks 1
On 3/27/2019 at 11:46 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

HA!

I would've thought you'd seen it! (I know you're also a Lorre fan!)

KAY KYSER and his BAND agree to play a birthday party for a young heiress at her isolated country estate...her wacky aunt hires a medium (LUGOSI) who is conspiring with a local judge (KARLOFF) and weirdo (LORRE) to murder the girl and steal her inheritance.

it owes some debts to THE 13TH CHAIR and NIGHT OF TERROR (1933) if you've seen either, it's got some "comedy" thrown in.

it was actually a huge hit in 1940 and one of the songs was nominated for an Oscar

Lugosi, Karloff, Lorre and Kay Kyser in the same movie?? Count me in! Was Ish Kabibble in it too?

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Lugosi, Karloff, Lorre and Kay Kyser in the same movie?? Count me in! Was Ish Kabibble in it too?

The movie is a disappointment to fans of the trio of villains. They don't have much interaction with each other. All three are in the same frame only twice in the film for only about 3 minutes. I was hoping to hear some long dialogue scenes with Bela's sonorous accent, Boris's British lisp and Peter's nasal whine playing off each other. 

Ish Kabbible gets more screen time than all of them, so if you're a fan of his you might like it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It looks like there are a number of potentially interesting-looking burglary movies coming on tomorrow, most of them I haven't seen; but one in particular I have, The Burglars (1971) is one of those I caught late one night and have been looking forward to seeing it on the schedule again ever since. Probably not a great film, possibly not a good film, but it seemed to hit the spot at the time... It was a bit Topkapi ripoff-ish, and it was hard to discern whether some of the actors were dubbed, or acting floppishly or both, (don't remember if I ever figured it out,) but I do swear there was a reason I liked this movie... oh, yeah! It has a lot of nicely done action scene that made me realize what a good stunt man Jean-Paul Belmondo was. Did he do a lot of stuff like that? Good stunts performed by the actors have a way of winning me over, (they can get so much more creative when they don't have to worry about inserting stunt men.) Omar Sharif made a satisfying villain, too, as the crooked cop after the jewel thieves. It's got the same basic plot as the Dan Duryea film The Burglar (1957), I think? But I enjoyed this one more.

Saturday, March 30th, 12:00 PM

larcenyinc_godspeedbigelow_FC_470x264_01

I've been waiting for it to show up again since Christmas and here it is: Larceny, Inc. (1942) starring Edward G. Robinson. It's a great comedy and a great gangster comedy. Pressure Maxwell, wanting to go legit needs to pull one last job to get the funds to go legit and then it goes bonkers. Without a doubt, my highlight of the month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Ampersand said:

Saturday, March 30th, 12:00 PM

larcenyinc_godspeedbigelow_FC_470x264_01

I've been waiting for it to show up again since Christmas and here it is: Larceny, Inc. (1942) starring Edward G. Robinson. It's a great comedy and a great gangster comedy. Pressure Maxwell, wanting to go legit needs to pull one last job to get the funds to go legit and then it goes bonkers. Without a doubt, my highlight of the month.

It is fun. It's got kind of a Damon Runyon/ O. Henry vibe to it.

is it just me or does EDDIE G. look a little thin in this pic?

i've been really enjoying the Hell out of the TCM UNDErGROUND showings since OSCAR MONTH got staked in the heart; maybe not NIGHTMARE HONEYMOON, but everything else has been amusing in its own way...

starting at 2:00 am (although with HULU, I've gotten to where I just watch them the next morning):

2:00 AM
horror
Final Exam (1981)

3:37 AM

short
Drop Out, The (1962)

4:00 AM

horror
Night School (1981)

are they any good? probably not, but still vastly preferable to GIGI...
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've got them both set to record, as I don't think that I've seen them. However, I saw so many slasher flicks from that era that I have trouble differentiating them from one another. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It is fun. It's got kind of a Damon Runyon/ O. Henry vibe to it.

is it just me or does EDDIE G. look a little thin in this pic?

He does.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I've got them both set to record, as I don't think that I've seen them. However, I saw so many slasher flicks from that era that I have trouble differentiating them from one another. 

+1

I'm also especially bad about telling slasher flick comic parodies made during the era apart from one another, although I recall bits and pieces as being hilarious...

In two hours The Key is starting. This is a fine film about what we would now call PTSD set in the grim days of WWII before the United States had entered the war, and the German submarines are attacking the convoys of food and weapons sent from America. William Holden, Sophia Loren, and Trevor Howard star.

Saturday evening has a pretty bizarre double feature when the grim noir Border Incident is followed by the very funny This Is Spinal Tap.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i've been really enjoying the Hell out of the TCM UNDErGROUND showings since OSCAR MONTH got staked in the heart; maybe not NIGHTMARE HONEYMOON, but everything else has been amusing in its own way...

starting at 2:00 am (although with HULU, I've gotten to where I just watch them the next morning):

2:00 AM
horror
Final Exam (1981)

3:37 AM

short
Drop Out, The (1962)

4:00 AM

horror
Night School (1981)

I'm glad Canada gets The Ice Pirates again instead of Night School just so I can get some sleep before an early morning and the noon movie.

• Like 1
On 3/29/2019 at 7:55 PM, kingrat said:

In two hours The Key is starting. This is a fine film about what we would now call PTSD set in the grim days of WWII before the United States had entered the war, and the German submarines are attacking the convoys of food and weapons sent from America. William Holden, Sophia Loren, and Trevor Howard star.

Saturday evening has a pretty bizarre double feature when the grim noir Border Incident is followed by the very funny This Is Spinal Tap.

Damn! I saw it was on, then forgot to watch it. :(

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, April 2

More Garbo.

Goesta-Berling-07.jpg

6 a.m.  The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924).  I haven't seen this one.

In the early 1980s, some stories circulated in a Swedish magazine that Garbo was going to come out of retirement, and play herself in a film in which she reminisces about making this movie. Apparently that never happened.

Maybe someone can also verify this; I believe that Selma Lagerlof, upon whose work the film was based, was the first woman ever awarded the Nobel Prize for literature.

On 3/31/2019 at 2:46 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, April 1

Garbo night.

d0d95f745e98a8ff2fbeada38e863cf6.jpg

9:45 p.m.  The Temptress (1928)

MV5BMjI1OTQ5NzQxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzA3

1:30 a.m.  The Kiss (1929)

Single_Standard-33.jpg

2:45 a.m.  The Single Standard (1929)

I dont think her feet look that big!

• Haha 1