Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Monday, July 22

i220028.jpg

2 p.m.  The Black Scorpion (1957).  I’ll go with the giant ‘prehistoric’ scorpion movie.  Released by an earthquake which means this could happen at any moment!  How would you like to take on that!

• Like 2

:D 

Well, my EX was a SCORPIO, the astrological sign associated( and fittingly) with the Scorpion, and in the case of THAT movie's creature, VERY apt!  ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 2

Tuesday, July 23

cosmos-kfqD--621x414@LiveMint.jpg

10 p.m.  2001: A Space Odyssey (1968).  I prefer seeing this on the big screen but it is my pick of the day.

12+to+the+moon+2.jpg

5 a.m.  12 to the Moon (1960).  This gets a 2.9 imdb rating.

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, July 23

12+to+the+moon+2.jpg

5 a.m.  12 to the Moon (1960).  This gets a 2.9 imdb rating.

Big big miss. I'm surprised the rating is that high. A really bizarre cast, with Francis X. Bushman opening and closing this turkey. Robert Montgomery Jr. plays a scientist, John Wengraf is the son of a Nazi, the statuesque Anna-Lisa is too much "statue" and not enough "esque," Tom Conway is a Russkie, Anthony Dexter is a Brazilian ... and the French guy is the villain. The earth freezes over, which means that Marianne Williamson has won the presidential election. Oh, watch for the "fistfight" between Conway and the French guy. Hilarious.

And the math stinks too:

Wengraf: “We need the formula for our rate of deceleration for our landing on the moon.”
Montgomery: “That’ll be x over g minus 3.”

What do the "moon people" want from the crew? Two cats. 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Big big miss. I'm surprised the rating is that high. A really bizarre cast, with Francis X. Bushman opening and closing this turkey. Robert Montgomery Jr. plays a scientist, John Wengraf is the son of a Nazi, the statuesque Anna-Lisa is too much "statue" and not enough "esque," Tom Conway is a Russkie, Anthony Dexter is a Brazilian ... and the French guy is the villain. The earth freezes over, which means that Marianne Williamson has won the presidential election. Oh, watch for the "fistfight" between Conway and the French guy. Hilarious.

And the math stinks too:

Wengraf: “We need the formula for our rate of deceleration for our landing on the moon.”
Montgomery: “That’ll be x over g minus 3.”

What do the "moon people" want from the crew? Two cats. 

Now I have no choice but to set my recorder!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wednesday, July 24

ca5881b8f0966a09bfcbf813f796ce63.jpg

6:15. p.m.  This Woman Is Dangerous (1952).  I haven’t seen this one yet.  Sounds silly enough.  With Joan Crawford.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, July 24

6:15. p.m.  This Woman Is Dangerous (1952).  I haven’t seen this one yet.  Sounds silly enough.  With Joan Crawford.

Are you sure it isn't a BIOPIC?  ;)  

Sepiatone

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Are you sure it isn't a BIOPIC?  ;)  

Sepiatone

This Woman is Dangerous: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Wire Hanger

tumblr_m3z3hvMJkl1qazkdco1_500.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, July 24

IT IS! :D Joan's last WB film, she asked to be released from her contract after this one......

14 minutes ago, Hibi said:

[THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS] IS! [SILLY] :D Joan's last WB film, she asked to be released from her contract after this one......

The last ten minutes are pretty good, there is a scene where someone falls through a glass skylight that is really well lit and photographed. They're worth watching, the rest of the film notsomuch.

• Thanks 1

Thursday, July 25

Albert Finney tribute night.  These are all worth catching.  I’ll go with …

DzZFSDoWsAEgzOP.jpg

12:30 a.m.  Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960).  by Karel Reisz.  Finney with a very good supporting cast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes. Too bad it's not on earlier in the evening. Can't stand The Dresser though. Once was enough.

Friday, July 26

MV5BZmQ5ZTQyM2EtZjcyNy00MmVlLThkNWYtNmZk

11:45 a.m.  They Made Me a Criminal (1939).  What a cast!   Huntz Hall, Leo Gorcey and John Garfield and Claude Rains.

• Like 1

Tomorrow afternoon you have a chance to see Ice Follies of 1939. It's a must-see if you always wondered whether Joan Crawford and James Stewart have romantic chemistry. Joan plays an ambitious ice skater who wants to break up the skating duo of James Stewart and Lew Ayres so that she can skate (and more) with Stewart herself. Lew Ayres seems jealous in more ways than one. Note the poster over the Murphy bed in Stewart and Ayres' apartment. This is probably not one of the movies that made 1939 a memorable year.

15 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

11:45 a.m.  They Made Me a Criminal (1939).  What a cast!   Huntz Hall, Leo Gorcey and John Garfield and Claude Rains.

Rains as a Brooklyn cop, no less. :lol:

Show it in a double feature with the excellent They Won't Forget, in which Rains is equally oddly cast as a southern district attorney.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Rains as a Brooklyn cop, no less. :lol:

Show it in a double feature with the excellent They Won't Forget, in which Rains is equally oddly cast as a southern district attorney.

Make it a triple feature with Moontide.     I wouldn't even attempt to describe what type of character Rains played in that film but he was interesting (as he always is).

• Like 2

Saturday, July 27

Popeye_the_Sailor_Eugene_the_Jeep-336146

10 a.m.  Popeye: The Jeep (1938).

maxresdefault.jpg

1:15 pm.  Anatomy of a Murder (1959).  James Stewart and a very good Lee Remick.

fail-safe_lumet_top10films.jpg

4:15 p.m.  Fail-Safe (1964).  Ripe for a remake with the POTUS dropping the A-bomb on Mar-o-Laga at the end.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, July 27

4:15 p.m.  Fail-Safe (1964).  Ripe for a remake with the POTUS dropping the A-bomb on Mar-o-Laga at the end.

It's MAR-A-LAGO, although the misspelling is allowed on multiple fronts...although I note here that it's not the house's fault who lives there or the SPANISH LANGUAGE'S fault for being used for the name.

also i note that if you dropped the bomb on it, it would be just MAR.

Irradiated MAR.

16 hours ago, kingrat said:

Tomorrow afternoon you have a chance to see Ice Follies of 1939. It's a must-see if you always wondered whether Joan Crawford and James Stewart have romantic chemistry.. This is probably not one of the movies that made 1939 a memorable year.

EVERYONE'S PICKING ON "ICE FOLLIES" !!11!!1

th?id=OIP.RRK-CCZ9Zn7lMSJqNUdZvAHaEK&pidLEAVE JOAN ALONE!11!!!

YOU'RE LUCKY SHE EVN STRAPPED ON THOSE SKATES AND HIT THE ICE FOR YOU BASTARDS!!11!!!

(KIDDING, OF COURSE)

(IN ALL SERIOUSNESS THOUGH, GOD HOW I WISH MOMMIE DEAREST Had contained a scene in the script they didn't end up shooting where JOAN is filming ICE FOLLIES and cuts her ankle (?) or effs up her feet in the skates and INSISTS ON ANOTHER TAKE WHILE BLEEDING ALL OVER THE ICE.)

Joan on ice skates! I've never made it to the end of this film (so far). And the answer is NO! (LOL).

What's with the 11's??

Speaking of Joan, could TCM embargo The Women for a couple months???? (on AGAIN tonight!) :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just wanted to thank TCM for that ravishing looking print of Annie last night. The DVD is in grainy pan-and-scan, and the print last night had rich colors and was in widescreen.

• Like 1

TCM Underground

@TCMUnderground

· 4h

Tonight! School’s in session with FINAL EXAM (1981) at 2:15 am east / 11:15 pm west

followed by NIGHT SCHOOL (1981) at 4:00 am.

Come hang out with us before we’re off for August!

14 hours ago, mr6666 said:

TCM Underground

@TCMUnderground

· 4h

Tonight! School’s in session with FINAL EXAM (1981) at 2:15 am east / 11:15 pm west

followed by NIGHT SCHOOL (1981) at 4:00 am.

Come hang out with us before we’re off for August!

That was actually last night, Friday the 26th.

Sunday, July 28/29

Two with Alain Delon

MV5BNzgzMWM4NDQtOTY5Ni00N2Y1LThmMDQtY2U0

2 a.m.  Le Samouri (1967). 

swann-in-love.jpg

3:45 a.m.  Swann In Love (1984).  Delon is great in this one.  Not sure if it is a premiere but it is quite hard to catch up with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1