Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Monday, July 29

1a11e4a49add48d4b829cf3152df4564--movie-

8 p.m.  Experiment In Terror (1962).  Worth a look for Lee Remick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, July 29

Not to mention  a young Stefanie Powers.

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, July 29

Also worth a listen for Henry Mancini's theme.

12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, July 29

You betcha! And as scsu says, Henry Mancini's music is great, too. One of Blake Edwards' two best films, IMO, with the other one being Days of Wine and Roses. Which also starred Lee Remick.

Tuesday, July 30

Solaris-750x400.jpg

3 a.m.  Solaris (1972).  I saw this Tarkovsky not long after it came out and didn’t think much.  It may be worth another look now.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, July 31

keir_dullea.jpg

10:15 a.m.  2010 (1984).  Interesting attempt at a sequel to Stanley Kubrick’s classic.

On 7/28/2019 at 10:53 PM, kingrat said:

You betcha! And as scsu says, Henry Mancini's music is great, too. One of Blake Edwards' two best films, IMO, with the other one being Days of Wine and Roses. Which also starred Lee Remick.

WILD RIVER!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2019 at 10:34 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, July 29

Oh its a brilliant film, one of Blake Edwards best, with dynamite work from Lee Remick and Glenn Ford. Fine Henry Mancini score, and that terrifying opening scene. Also it seems a bit of an influence on David Lynch, as Lee's character lives in a subdivision called Twin Peaks, and some of the killer's lines were repeated verbatim in an episode of that cult series.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thursday, August 1

hh3WkYwxpuA4Bh2DmpyOpZnTpwn.jpg

9:15 a.m.  Let Us Live (1939).   Henry Fonda, Maureen O’Sullivan and Ralph Bellamy.  Haven’t seen this one.

655.jpg?w=640

10:30 a.m.  Young Mr. Lincoln (1939).  Will there ever be a Young Mr. Trump?  The bonespurs then disco age with the same reverential treatment?  "Disco ... Disco Duck ..."

• Haha 3

I'm not gonna start a new thread( which I first intended), so I'll address a couple things here...

When watching EXPERIMENT IN TERROR the other night, And having tuned in just a minute after the opening credits, I was struck by a humorous thought......

How do they expect to ever catch ARTEMUS  GORDON?  Him being a master of diguise and all....?  :D 

But last night noticed a kind of "double jeopardy"  of sorts----

Both TCM and the MOVIES! channel were showing CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND at 8:00 pm .  So, there's your choice!

Watch it "edited for time" and commercial breaks, or uncut and uninterrupted.  :rolleyes:  

Now, I can't remember the movies involved, but I do recall a few times when the SAME MOVIE was being shown on TWO DIFFERENT CHANNELS in the SAME TIME SLOT.  But that too, goes back to the "pre-cable" days as well.   Anyone else recall times when you noticed this happening?  

And will or did TCM ever show the "redux" in which we see the inside of the big spaceship Dreyfus walks up into?  I have both on tape m'self.  ;)

Sepiatone

Friday, August 2

Pierre-of-the-Plains-1942-1.jpg

1:15 p.m. Pierre of the Plains (1942).  With John Carroll as the ‘happy-go-lucky French Canadian trapper.’   Stereotype perhaps?

• Thanks 1

Friday, 9:45 AM, The Fast and The Furious (1939) with Franchot Tone and Ann Southern.  Also Ruth Hussey.  Tone and Southern played married to each other book dealers who also get involved in mysteries.  This one is set at a seaside beauty contest.

15 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Friday, 9:45 AM, The Fast and The Furious (1939) with Franchot Tone and Ann Southern.  Also Ruth Hussey.  Tone and Southern played married to each other book dealers who also get involved in mysteries.  This one is set at a seaside beauty contest.

From Wiki about The Fast and The Furious:  It is the last of a Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer trilogy, along with Fast Company (1938) and Fast and Loose (1939). However, different actors played the couple each time.

TCM showed Fast Company a few months back and it was entertaining (with Florence Rice, an actress I didn't know, being a delight and Melvyn Douglas as the husband).

Fast and Loose has Robert Montgomery and Rosalind Russell.

MGM was, of course,  looking for similar gold like they found with the husband\wife crime\detective series The Thin Man.    But I don't see how they expected that to happen with different cast members playing the main characters!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think TCM is showing "Fast Company" next week on Melvyn Douglas' SUTS day.  I saw this one for the first time when it aired on TCM a few months ago, and I thought the chemistry between Douglas and Florence Rice was pretty good...right up there with Powell and Loy in the "Thin Man" series.

• Like 1

Saturday, August 3/4

What, no Popeye!?  Damn this Summer Under the Stars!

MV5BMTU4MzQ1N2MtOWYwZC00Y2JlLTk3ODYtZDcw

2:15 a.m.  A Dry White Season (1989).  Brando is sensational as the trial lawyer in this tale of race oppression in South Africa.

• Like 2

Happy they are showing The Freshman on Brando day (too bad it's on 3 or 4AM). I missed it the last time it was on. Very funny film and Brando parodies his Godfather role.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, midwestan said:

I think TCM is showing "Fast Company" next week on Melvyn Douglas' SUTS day.  I saw this one for the first time when it aired on TCM a few months ago, and I thought the chemistry between Douglas and Florence Rice was pretty good...right up there with Powell and Loy in the "Thin Man" series.

They are also showing Mary Burns, Fugitive with Douglas and Sylvia Sidney the same day which I think is a TCM premiere.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:00 AM, Sepiatone said:

But last night noticed a kind of "double jeopardy"  of sorts----

Both TCM and the MOVIES! channel were showing CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND at 8:00 pm .  So, there's your choice!

Watch it "edited for time" and commercial breaks, or uncut and uninterrupted.  :rolleyes:  

Now, I can't remember the movies involved, but I do recall a few times when the SAME MOVIE was being shown on TWO DIFFERENT CHANNELS in the SAME TIME SLOT.  But that too, goes back to the "pre-cable" days as well.   Anyone else recall times when you noticed this happening?  

And will or did TCM ever show the "redux" in which we see the inside of the big spaceship Dreyfus walks up into?  I have both on tape m'self.  ;)

Sepiatone

Huhn.....

NObody else ever seen this happening before?   Well, just recalled another.....

One night, about 35-6 years ago, both cable's TMC(The Movie Channel) and Canada's CBC scheduled '78's THE SILENT PARTNER on the same night and same time.  But, as the CBC broadcast would certainly have commercial breaks, I tuned into the cable channel.  ;) 

Seiatone

Sunday, August 4

c4216da8101aa52e4d38bcb2ab486446.jpg

11:30 p.m.  Susannah of the Mounties (1939).  Notice the kid on the right is already smoking.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Huhn.....

NObody else ever seen this happening before?   Well, just recalled another.....

One night, about 35-6 years ago, both cable's TMC(The Movie Channel) and Canada's CBC scheduled '78's THE SILENT PARTNER on the same night and same time.  But, as the CBC broadcast would certainly have commercial breaks, I tuned into the cable channel.  ;) 

Seiatone

The only time I can remember is during the years when you could catch IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE on three or four different channels in the same time slot on Christmas Eve.

I think once I caught FORREST GUMP simultaneously airing on TBS and Freeform and  in the same time slot.

• Thanks 1

Monday, August 5

Melvyn Douglas day.

Theres-That-Woman-Again-1938-3.jpg

noon.  There’s That Woman Again (1938).  With Virginia Bruce and Margaret Lindsay.

On 8/2/2019 at 4:33 AM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, August 3/4

What, no Popeye!?  Damn this Summer Under the Stars!

MV5BMTU4MzQ1N2MtOWYwZC00Y2JlLTk3ODYtZDcw

2:15 a.m.  A Dry White Season (1989).  Brando is sensational as the trial lawyer in this tale of race oppression in South Africa.

He received his final Oscar nomination for this performance, and it was the only time he was ever tapped in the supporting category.

35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

He received his final Oscar nomination for this performance, and it was the only time he was ever tapped in the supporting category.

I would have given him three supporting actor Oscars.  The first for A Streetcar Names Desire (1951); the second for Julius Caesar (1953) and the third for The Godfather (1972).  He was in the lead category for all those films.