Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

I would have given him three supporting actor Oscars.  The first for A Streetcar Names Desire (1951); the second for Julius Caesar (1953) and the third for The Godfather (1972).  He was in the lead category for all those films.

it's funny, i've never really thought about how much actual screen time BRANDO has in STREETCAR...the performance is so DOMINANT tho, I have to say, I don't think it belonged in the supporting category...GODFATHER on the other hand, yes absolutely- that is totally a supporting part.

Tuesday, August 6

maxresdefault.jpg

7:45 a.m.  Panama Hattie (1942).  Nazi spies in a Panama nightclub.  Love it.

• Haha 1

are these maybe premieres in the middle of the day on MELVYN DOUGLAS'S DAY?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure Mary Burns is! I recorded it to watch again (first saw it around a year ago when a friend burned me a copy)....

On 8/1/2019 at 2:56 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

From Wiki about The Fast and The Furious:  It is the last of a Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer trilogy, along with Fast Company (1938) and Fast and Loose (1939). However, different actors played the couple each time.

TCM showed Fast Company a few months back and it was entertaining (with Florence Rice, an actress I didn't know, being a delight and Melvyn Douglas as the husband).

Fast and Loose has Robert Montgomery and Rosalind Russell.

MGM was, of course,  looking for similar gold like they found with the husband\wife crime\detective series The Thin Man.    But I don't see how they expected that to happen with different cast members playing the main characters!

I really want to like this series and it does have its moments but what were they thinking changing actors with each successive film??  Montgomery and Douglas were both good in the "Joel Sloane" role and I also liked Florence Rice and think she could have played well against either of them.  Rosalind Russell just seemed downright silly as the wife opposite Montgomery. If memory serves, "Fast and Furious" (with Franchot Tone & Ann Sothern) was the last and absolutely the weakest film in the series.  Hard to hate Ann Sothern in anything but she and Tone had zero chemistry together.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

are these maybe premieres in the middle of the day on MELVYN DOUGLAS'S DAY?

They both are. Saw Mary burns live because I figured it wouldn't be on demand. The print was crisp looking, although the background sounds occasionally sounded muddled. One curiosity. It was a Paramount film and had the Paramount logo from that era, but before that, instead of the modern universal logo which often proceeds vintage paramount airings, it was the Universal logo that was used in the early 30s!

• Like 1

Wednesday, August 7/8

Drain the swamp, Jimmy!

mrsmith.0.jpg

3:30 a.m.  Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939).  James Stewart takes on big business corruption in D.C.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

They both are. Saw Mary burns live because I figured it wouldn't be on demand. The print was crisp looking, although the background sounds occasionally sounded muddled. One curiosity. It was a Paramount film and had the Paramount logo from that era, but before that, instead of the modern universal logo which often proceeds vintage paramount airings, it was the Universal logo that was used in the early 30s!

I noticed that too! 

(The logos)

16 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Of course, they run both of them during the day rather than primetime when more people could see them!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 7/8

Drain the swamp, Jimmy!

mrsmith.0.jpg

3:30 a.m.  Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939).  James Stewart takes on big business corruption in D.C.

Or, as evidenced by the latest "Classic Films You Can't Stand", one of the most disliked films ever made!

(I like it, though.)

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 7/8

Drain the swamp, Jimmy!

mrsmith.0.jpg

What's with the head sticking out of a basket of telegrams?

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Or, as evidenced by the latest "Classic Films You Can't Stand", one of the most disliked films ever made!

(I like it, though.)

I like the film,  but if there were no kids in the film (or a lot less of them),  it would have 'worked' better for me.

I.e. the kids really pump up the corn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Of course, they run both of them during the day rather than primetime when more people could see them!

At least both are on Watch TCM!

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

At least both are on Watch TCM!

For those that get it.

Thursday, August 8

MV5BMDQzYWNkZDMtYWM5Mi00MzA3LWI0MjQtMjFh

8 p.m.  Ava Gardner, the Gipsy of Hollywood (2017).  Fairly recent documentary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 8

What is “la gitane”?

(Too lazy to use le google)

EDIT- OOPS, never mind, I see you wrote it out. Interesting, I live about an hour and a half away from where Ava grew up – Smithfield, North Carolina – and I was unaware of their large gypsy population. Next time I need to have a wart removed, I’ll have to check it out.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 8

Per Wikipedia: "She can't sing, she can't act, she can't talk, she's terrific!"  Louis B. Mayer upon seeing her screen test.  They also could not understand her "Carolina" Southern drawl.  She was born in Grabtown, N.C.

Why does the title refer to her as a gypsy?

Gypsy definition #2 - a nomadic or free-spirited person.

It's not necessarily saying that she's of Romany blood, but rather of the gypsy spirit as defined above.

I haven't seen the movie, though, and am no expert on Gardner, so it may be literal as well.

• Thanks 2

I know. I was pointing out the misspelling. LOL.

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I know. I was pointing out the misspelling. LOL.

I've seen that spelling before, and it seems to be accepted as an alternative. I'm not sure if there's some significance to it, or if it was originally done out of ignorance and then just accepted later on.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've seen that spelling before, and it seems to be accepted as an alternative. I'm not sure if there's some significance to it, or if it was originally done out of ignorance and then just accepted later on.

I've never seen it. I've always thought it derived from GYP! LOL.

7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I've never seen it. I've always thought it derived from GYP! LOL.

The original "gypsy" spelling came from the mistaken belief of the English that the Roma were of Egyptian origin. So even that name was based in ignorance. The Spanish name for them was "gitano".

• Thanks 1