Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Friday, August 9

hqdefault.jpg

1:15 p.m.  Ship Ahoy (1942).  I can hear it now … we need a wartime vehicle for Eleanor Powell.  Okay, how about Eleanor is a dancer sailing to Puerto Rico and she hides government messages in her tap routines?  Perfect!

Saturday, August 10

This was originally Natalie Wood day.  Now it is Rita Moreno,

SevenCities18r.jpg

1:45 p.m.  Seven Cities of Gold (1955).  Adventrue film co-starring Richard Egan, Anthony Quinn, Jeffrey Hunter and Michael Rennie. 

Sunday, August 11

Humphrey+Bogart+in+The+Caine+Mutiny.jpg

10 p.m.  The Caine Mutiny (1954).  If Bogie had not been such a huge star they might have put him in the supporting category for the Oscars which may have guaranteed him a win.

Monday, August 12

22ff174fa433188c7a919bd1485bef8c.jpg

10:30 a.m.  Congo Maisie (1940).  Maisie in Africa.  Sounds silly enough.

• Like 1

Had fun last night watching HARVEY for the umpteenth time. :)  Of all the JIMMY STEWART movies I like, I like this one the best.   And ALWAYS, I sit on the edge of my seat waiting for THIS line......

NEVER gets old or stops cracking me UP!  :D 

And as I only tried one BECAUSE of this movie, I wound up NOT actually hating egg & onion sandwiches!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tuesday, August 13

Brian Donlevy

MV5BODZmYTY0Y2ItYTQxMi00N2U4LWE4MjEtZmNm

7:15 a.m.  Barbary Coast (1935).  My pick of the bunch as it stars Edward G. Robinson.

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2019 at 6:12 AM, Bogie56 said:

Humphrey+Bogart+in+The+Caine+Mutiny.jpg

10 p.m.  The Caine Mutiny (1954).  If Bogie had not been such a huge star they might have put him in the supporting category for the Oscars which may have guaranteed him a win.

220px-EdmondOBrien.jpg

"What are you saying? WHAT ARE YOU SAYING!?!"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, August 13

Brian Donlevy

MV5BODZmYTY0Y2ItYTQxMi00N2U4LWE4MjEtZmNm

7:15 a.m.  Barbary Coast (1935).  My pick of the bunch as it stars Edward G. Robinson.

That's a damn good pic of JOEL McREA and this actually features a surprisingly SADISTIC AND CREEPY (and sexually ambiguous) turn by DONLEVEY (to JOEL'S right), but it's a surprisingly lukewarm film- it camE out soon after THE PRODUCTION CODE and as such was rather A neutered story.

• Confused 1

TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT AS PART OF ANN SOTHERN'S DAY- her only Oscar-nominated performance in THE WHALES OF AUGUST (1987), a perfect film for this time of year and one that sadly seems to have become quite obscure.

c82f19099c485c192d1ad9dc0fb18371.jpg

It's a deliberately slow and quiet film, but it's fascinating and worth it to see LILLIAN GISH, BETTE DAVIS, and VINCENT PRICE in the late winter of their years. Still, SOTHERN gives the best performance in it- she has a final scene where she KILLS IT with just a facial expression.

• Thanks 1

Sadly, TCM is showing it in the early morning hours. Typical!

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I know, I'd be PO'd if I didn't have HULU.

If I recall correctly, she's the only one of the principals that talks with a Maine accent.

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Do you have On-Demand? I have Xfinity/Comcast. I seldom use DVR or On-Demand. Not sure why, especially On-Demand. It doesn't require the Internet.

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I know, I'd be PO'd if I didn't have HULU.

Curious. Tell me more.

One more question. Next to the quote feature is that little green box with + sign inside. I clicked by mistake and it turned into a √ mark. What does it do?

47 minutes ago, The Keeper said:

Do you have On-Demand? I have Xfinity/Comcast. I seldom use DVR or On-Demand. Not sure why, especially On-Demand. It doesn't require the Internet.

Curious. Tell me more(ABOUT HULU)

Having HULU (through the internet, not cable) means I have access to both TCM EAST AND WEST COAST FEEDS (which means there's a three hour delay) and there is an ON DEMAND section that has about 70-90 titles (70% or so of what has played on tcm in the last week) available for 7 days after they air.

it's how i watch 99% of TCM now. I do remember the old days when i had cable and no DVR and had to live by the whims of the schedulers and IT SUCKED BECAUSE THE GOOD STUFF IS ALWAYS ON AT THE DEAD OF NIGHT.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Lorna. There are some channels nobody streams. I use the DVR so little, I may return it to lower my cost. There are about 115 TCM titles in the On-Demand section right now. Sure, Hulu is cheaper, but cable works for me. I am glad you are happy. In addition to COZI, I also watch FETV and MeTV.

Wednesday, August 14

Liv Ullmann day.

MV5BNDE0ZGM3OGEtOTU2My00N2Y0LWExMjYtNjRj

2 p.m.  The Emigrants (1971)

karl-oskar-and-kristina.jpg?w=640

4:30 p.m.  The New Land (1972).  They don’t often play this sequel.  And both are on at a pretty good time too.

MV5BMjMwMDYyNjc5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTYy

8 p.m.  Liv & Ingmar (2012)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2019 at 10:33 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

That's a damn good pic of JOEL McREA and this actually features a surprisingly SADISTIC AND CREEPY (and sexually ambiguous) turn by DONLEVEY (to JOEL'S right), but it's a surprisingly lukewarm film- it camE out soon after THE PRODUCTION CODE and as such was rather A neutered story.

Actually LORNA, Donlevey is on OUR right, and McREA'S left;)  I'm not sure who that is on Joel's right... possibly CLYDE COOK? :unsure: (wish I could have brought the photo down with me.....)

Sepiatone

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 14

Liv Ullmann day.

MV5BNDE0ZGM3OGEtOTU2My00N2Y0LWExMjYtNjRj

2 p.m.  The Emigrants (1971)

karl-oskar-and-kristina.jpg?w=640

4:30 p.m.  The New Land (1972).  They don’t often play this sequel.  And both are on at a pretty good time too.

MV5BMjMwMDYyNjc5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTYy

8 p.m.  Liv & Ingmar (2012)

Looking forward to the docu. I'm afraid to record The Immigrants and New Land because it's probably the dubbed versions. I've seen parts of both, but never all the way through. I'd rather record Persona and watch that again (havent seen it in years) I think it's criminal they aren't showing Cries and Whispers or Face to Face! But no problem showing dreck like Lost Horizon! I have Scenes from a Marriage on DVD and I'm thinking that's dubbed too.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 7:37 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT AS PART OF ANN SOTHERN'S DAY- her only Oscar-nominated performance in THE WHALES OF AUGUST (1987), a perfect film for this time of year and one that sadly seems to have become quite obscure.

This was added to Xfinity's On-Demand service for the San Francisco market. Will expire in two weeks.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Looking forward to the docu. I'm afraid to record The Immigrants and New Land because it's probably the dubbed versions. I've seen parts of both, but never all the way through. I'd rather record Persona and watch that again (havent seen it in years) I think it's criminal they aren't showing Cries and Whispers or Face to Face! But no problem showing dreck like Lost Horizon! I have Scenes from a Marriage on DVD and I'm thinking that's dubbed too.

The version of Emigrants they show is usually dubbed but New Land is usually shown in the original Swedish (it's only been on twice before though). New Land is memorable to me because of that very brutal scene where a fetus is cut out of a pregnant mother and crucified on a cross. I'm surprised they are showing it so early in the day because of that scene.

• Thanks 1

Thursday, August 15

Loved-One-Steiger.png

9:45 a.m.  The Loved One (1965).  Steiger’s Mr. Joyboy is right up there with his best career performances.

Friday, August 16

878f51dfe842b2cb5916744ac335cad6.jpg

2 p.m.  Joy of Living (1938) with Irene Dunne and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.  I haven’t seen this one.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, August 16

878f51dfe842b2cb5916744ac335cad6.jpg

2 p.m.  Joy of Living (1938) with Irene Dunne and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.  I haven’t seen this one.

Me neither , but damned if Irene and Doug don’t have some chemistry GOING ON in thAt photo!!

Dont forget everyone the premiere of WHEN TOMORROW COMES tom'w night with Irene and Charles Boyer! Have been wanting to see this film for decades!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, August 17

Errol Flynn day.  So many to choose from.

sea-hawk-1940-errol-flynn-01.jpg

11:45 a.m.  The Sea Hawk (1940)

• Like 3

Saturday, August 17 Errol Flynn Day

10:15 pm (EST) GENTLEMAN JIM

images-annex20-20flynn20errol20gentleman

Errol Flynn's favourite film. He was never better, a milestone in the career of director Raoul Walsh, as well. The scene in which John L. Sullivan (memorably played by Ward Bond in what may have been the role of his career) congratulates a victorious Jim Corbett remains genuinely touching in its honest sentimentality.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also really liked Flynn's foray into comedy, like Footsteps in the Dark.  I also enjoyed his one noir performance in Cry Wolf.  Heck, I'd watch Flynn hock crap on QVC. Lol. 

I am considering whether I should be crazy and get up at 3AM for the beginning of Flynn's day, or get more sleep. Lol. I do own every film being aired.  I also have to get my house together for my Errol Flynn Wine Party, so I do need to get up early but not 3AM early... decisions decisions...

• Haha 2