Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Recommended Posts

I really like Dorothy McGuire.  Many great films are being shown today.  I love The Enchanted Cottage, such a great movie.  A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is fantastic, mostly due to the performance of Peggy Ann Garner. 

I love Susan Slade and A Summer Place, but I am also all about overwrought teen melodramas, so that may have something to do with it.  Case in point, my current obsession with the original Beverly Hills 90210 that I'm re-watching.

I also recommend Callaway Went Thataway with McGuire, Fred MacMurray, and Howard Keel.   McGuire and MacMurray play agents (? I can't remember) who are trying to locate "Smoky Callaway," a faded B-list singing cowboy, whose old films are gaining popularity during television reruns.  Smoky is MIA.  McGuire and MacMurray then meet "Stretch" played by Howard Keel who is a doppleganger for the real Smoky.  They hire Keel to make promotional appearances as Smoky.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Callaway Went Thataway is a very good movie, much better than rated on TCM.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The kids might have also just thought she was a bit butch. :lol: 

:D  Well, maybe "butch" isn't the exact word?  ;)  All in how you spell it, eh?  ;) 

And given the times, wouldn't the word be "tomboy"?  Which really was no indication of homosexual latentcies, however. 

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going back a bit....

I'm grateful for the "heads up" about DEAD END.  Long one of my favorites, I was amused at my kids' reaction to it.

Of course, they thought THE DEAD END KIDS were funny, but too, never saw any of the later BOWERY BOYS junk.  But it was the way they talked and the quaint "old timey" slang they used that tickled them most (Ee-e-e-e-hhh! Yur MUDDA wears Army boots!" -- "I'll WHALLOP ya!" "E-e-e--ehhhhh...."  And the extravagant  "Kwawtah" cost to join the gang.  ;)  

I'LL be glued tomorrow!  

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DOROTHY MAGUIRE is not one of my favorites. 

She’s fine I guess in A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, But she is stuck playing a dour, joyless character- very much like Jane Wyman in “the yearling” while everyone else around her- Joan Blondell, James Dunn, and Peggy Ann Garner, have far more fun, “earthy” roles to play. 

That's exactly why Dorothy McGuire is so perfectly cast in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Everyone loves her charming husband--James Dunn was apparently a charming alcoholic playing a charming alcoholic--and she's stuck with being the adult and comes off seeming like the bad guy. I'm very sympathetic to her character for that reason. Because she seems a little priggish, she's also well cast in Gentleman's Agreement. Because Gregory Peck has been raised by a mother (Anne Revere) who has strict moral principles, he ultimately feels more comfortable with McGuire than with the sexier and more sophisticated Celeste Holm. Gentleman's Agreement isn't just a nuanced film about anti-Semitism, it has four complex female characters (with June Havoc as the fourth).

McGuire, who isn't beautiful by Hollywood standards, has the courage to play an unattractive woman in both The Enchanted Cottage and Invitation.

All this being said, she's not exactly one of my favorites, but she usually represents something real. Those of us of a certain age have definitely known women like her.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kingrat said:

That's exactly why Dorothy McGuire is so perfectly cast in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Everyone loves her charming husband--James Dunn was apparently a charming alcoholic playing a charming alcoholic--and she's stuck with being the adult and comes off seeming like the bad guy. I'm very sympathetic to her character for that reason. Because she seems a little priggish, she's also well cast in Gentleman's Agreement. Because Gregory Peck has been raised by a mother (Anne Revere) who has strict moral principles, he ultimately feels more comfortable with McGuire than with the sexier and more sophisticated Celeste Holm. Gentleman's Agreement isn't just a nuanced film about anti-Semitism, it has four complex female characters (with June Havoc as the fourth).

McGuire, who isn't beautiful by Hollywood standards, has the courage to play an unattractive woman in both The Enchanted Cottage and Invitation.

All this being said, she's not exactly one of my favorites, but she usually represents something real. Those of us of a certain age have definitely known women like her.

In looking up MISS MAGUIRE on IMDb, I see quite a few titles I’ve never seen- would love to see MISTER 880. 

In the films of hers that I have seen though, “...BROOKLYN”, “FRIENDLY PERSUASION “, “a summer place”,” gentlemen’s  agreement”, even “the enchanted cottage” in which yes she is good, and most especially “the spiral staircase”- I feel as if she is holding something back.

Like, there’s a possibility it was misdirection in some cases, but still I feel as if she’s too subdued. God help me for this, but if I had ever been one of her directors I probably would’ve grabbed her Bette Davis on Miriam Hopkins “old acquaintance” style and shaken her repeatedly.

This is neither here nor there, but she reminds me very much of the actress who plays BESSIE the devoted maid in “Laura.”

I think Dorothy Maguire would probably have been terrific if she had ever gotten kind of a “Bea Arthur, tough old broad who hates life” TV role in her later years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Like, there’s a possibility it was misdirection in some cases, but still I feel as if she’s too subdued. God help me for this, but if I had ever been one of her directors I probably would’ve grabbed her Bette Davis on Miriam Hopkins “old acquaintance” style and shaken her repeatedly.

You must see the irony in your statement.    As a director of McGuire you would've grabbed her and shaken her repeatedly and said "you need to channel Davis or Hopkins!".

Sorry but I don't agree.    Films need all different types of screen personas and McGuire is well cast in most of her films.   I.e. Her subdued screen persona fits that of the character.

Same goes with her looks.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I had to read that sentence a few times. Using transcription? I figured out you meant "Bessie the maid" in Laura. That's Dorothy Adams.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0010928/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t7

1b1f81ec65be2eb35bd2a51334fac712.jpg

Yes, yes, thank you. I hate transcription so. 

Ps- I’m right tho yeah? I mean they could totally be sisters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday, August 22

Leila Hyams day.

p8093_i_h12_ab.jpg?d=270x360&q=50

7:30 a.m.  The Bishop Murder Case (1930) with Basil Rathbone as Philo Vance.

 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 10:09 AM, speedracer5 said:

I really like Dorothy McGuire.  Many great films are being shown today.  I love The Enchanted Cottage, such a great movie.  A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is fantastic, mostly due to the performance of Peggy Ann Garner. 

I love Susan Slade and A Summer Place, but I am also all about overwrought teen melodramas, so that may have something to do with it.  Case in point, my current obsession with the original Beverly Hills 90210 that I'm re-watching.

I also recommend Callaway Went Thataway with McGuire, Fred MacMurray, and Howard Keel.   McGuire and MacMurray play agents (? I can't remember) who are trying to locate "Smoky Callaway," a faded B-list singing cowboy, whose old films are gaining popularity during television reruns.  Smoky is MIA.  McGuire and MacMurray then meet "Stretch" played by Howard Keel who is a doppleganger for the real Smoky.  They hire Keel to make promotional appearances as Smoky.

Another star waiting for a SOTM slot. I recorded a few films from her day I haven't seen. Mother Didn't Tell Me and Invitation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 6:11 PM, Gershwin fan said:

The play was based on an actual, real life event too.

-The play was partly inspired by an actual case in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1810, "Miss Pirie and Miss Woods vs. Dame Cumming Gordon." Two school teachers, Jane Pirie and Marianne Woods, were falsely accused of having a lesbian affair by a pupil, Jane Gordon. Under the influence of Jane's grandmother, Dame Cumming Gordon, the school's students were removed by their parents and the school was shut down. Pirie and Woods filed a libel suit against Dame Cumming Gordon, and won the case, but given the destruction of their lives and standing in the community, it was considered a hollow victory.

 

God, imagine how embarrassing that must have been to live with a rumor like that floating around about you. Poor women.

In 1810 yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday, August 23

Fred Astaire day.  

3782240%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur

midnight.  The Gay Divorcee (1934).  Erik Rhodes is the standout in this film.

 
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, August 23

Fred Astaire day.  

3782240%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur

midnight.  The Gay Divorcee (1934).  Erik Rhodes is the standout in this film.

 

A corespondent like no other:

"Your wife is safe with Tonetti, He prefers spaghetti"

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OH WOW, A REALLY REALLY GREAT DOUBLE FEATURE TONIGHT!!!!

AT 8:00- FREAKS

but even more importantly, immediately after:

THE THIRTEENTH CHAIR (1929)- I was literally recommending this film to my barber yesterday. IT IS A FASCINATING EARLY TALKIE WHICH IS AN EYE OPENER BECAUSE IT TEAMS BELA LUGOSI WITH TOD BROWNING TWO YEAR BEFORE DRACULA! And LUGOSI has a major role and TONS OF DIALOGUE and he plays WONDERFULLY OFF OF MARGARET WYCHERLY- who gives a nomination-worthy performance as a MEDIUM hired to give a seance at a party in INDIA when a MURDER OCCURS.

the-thirteenth-chair-1929-the-13th-chair

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday, 08/22 at 4:46 PM:  Love on Tap. Interesting short with the Merriel Abbott Dancers.  You can find them on Wikipedia and elsewhere.  Apparently they were a dancing troupe that toured the country for many years. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday, August 24

robert-mitchum-and-shirley-maclaine-in-t

11:30 a.m.  Two For the Seesaw (1962).  With lovers in real life Shirley MacLaine and Robert Mitchum.

 
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kind of surprised they've included DUSTIN HOFFMAN in SUTS this year.

(No judgment one way or the other for TCM for doing it. Just surprised.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, they usually have one "recent" star day included each year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Well, they usually have one "recent" star day included each year...

Yeah...seems like it's been DUSTIN HOFFMAN before and...WITH ALL APOLOGIES TO BOGIE IF I DERAIL THE THREAD OR ANYTHING, but there were some pretty recent (and multiple) allegations against him that were GROTESQUE.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for slight derailment, but related to the previous posts:

IMDb has a section on their front page for birthdays. It shows the top 5 or 6 people, be they actors, actresses, directors, writers, etc. who have birthdays on that day. You can click a link to go to the other few hundred entertainment-industry people with birthdays that day, but the top 5 or 6 that are shown on the front page are the most "popular", as in their individual pages are generating the most traffic at the time.

Well, I've noticed that for the past few months, when I click on the link to see all of the birthdays, there is sometimes one person shown in the top 5 or 6 who was not there on the main page. And I soon learned that it's because someone at IMDb thinks that the sight of that person may be "triggering", due to some scandal. For example, Kevin Spacey was not shown on the front page, but he was listed third on the full birthday list. And the other day, Roman Polanski was not visible on the main page, but was the #1 celebrity on the full list.

Anyway, all this is leading to the fact that, yes, Dustin Hoffman was recently among the "triggering" celebrities that IMDb felt needed to be obscured from their main page. Which made me sorta sad, as I'm a Hoffman fan.

End of digression.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read up on them. SAD. Somehow I missed this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm kind of surprised they've included DUSTIN HOFFMAN in SUTS this year.

(No judgment one way or the other for TCM for doing it. Just surprised.)

Well good for TCM, I for one I'm glad they included him, innocent until proven guilty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...