Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

19 hours ago, Dargo said:

The way Lorna expressed his feelings the other day about Dorothy McGuire in the above quote, is pretty much how I've always felt about Mary Astor.

(...yep, I often get the feeling Mary could also benefit from a good shaking...

****God help me...too)****

Believe it or not, You’re not the only one who feels this way about Mary Astor. Although she has many fans on this board, including me. I kind of think at the end of the day, she’s one of those Audrey Hepburn type actresses who appeals largely to women and gay men, in part because we’ve all known someone like her, in part because we all want to be her a little bit.

And for the record, I do think she was an attractive lady, I think if there’s anything That gets in the way of this is her voice, which does have a certain Nancy Kulp matronly tone to it.

ps- WE ARE BEYOND GODS HELP, we are THE DAMNED MWAHAHAHA!

• Like 1

Wednesday, August 28

Yikes!  June Allyson day..  

maxresdefault.jpg

9:37 p.m.  Picturesque Massachusetts (1942) short subject.

Oh, what the heck …

9fe31b95d0860423a689778daa6161d4.jpg

4 p.m.  Executive Suite (1954).  with an ensemble cast.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, kingrat said:

Recommendation for Walter Brennan Day: Nobody Lives Forever, a solid film noir capably directed by Jean Negulesco. Brennan's performance as a world-weary con man is perhaps his best. ....

I must admit that if I had to watch three of Brennan's lovable old codger performances back to back, I probably couldn't ever watch him again. Not that he doesn't play those roles well.

I wish that Hangmen Also Die had been included, where Brennan quite believably plays a Czech professor of philosophy.

HANGMEN ALSO DIE! [I think the EXCLAMATION POINT is part of the official title?] aired as part of BRIAN DONLEVY DAY, which was one of the best-programmed SUTS days in recent memory. It is still available on my HULU TCM ON DEMAND...

I read on either wiki or imdb or both that BRENNAN was an unrepentant racist who- according to costar BRANDON DeWILDE, danced a jig upon learning of the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

that is ALWAYS on my mind when I watch him, and while he was a very good actor- i am discomfited by the way his cozy aw-shucksy, harmless "lemme rustle up some ding dang grub" salt of the earth persona is used to couch some truly repugnant beliefs because I have seen this AN AWFUL LOT in real life. (I'm from North Carolina)

That said, he deserved the Oscar for THE WESTERNER.

• Like 1

I noticed that To Have and Have Not, 08/27, is classified as a romance on the TCM schedule.  Guess it sort of is, but I never think of it that way.

Although it's a very brief appearance,  that you can include THE INVISIBLE MAN among Brennan's filmography always tickles me. ;) 

Sepiatone

32 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Although it's a very brief appearance,  that you can include THE INVISIBLE MAN among Brennan's filmography always tickles me. ;) 

Sepiatone

REALLY?

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

I noticed that To Have and Have Not, 08/27, is classified as a romance on the TCM schedule.  Guess it sort of is, but I never think of it that way.

Well, there's no MYSTERY and (I'd say) not enough ADVENTURE to classify as ADVENTURE, and it's certainly not SCI FI or HORROR.

By the way, was any of you ever bit by a dead bee?

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Believe it or not, You’re not the only one who feels this way about Mary Astor. Although she has many fans on this board, including me. I kind of think at the end of the day, she’s one of those Audrey Hepburn type actresses who appeals largely to women and gay men, in part because we’ve all known someone like her, in part because we all want to be her a little bit.

And for the record, I do think she was an attractive lady, I think if there’s anything That gets in the way of this is her voice, which does have a certain Nancy Kulp matronly tone to it.

ps- WE ARE BEYOND GODS HELP, we are THE DAMNED MWAHAHAHA!

And, which I noticed while watching Return to Peyton Place last night, she used to good effect while playing that provincial old biddy who attempts to get Robert Sterling fired from his job as the high school principal during the town meeting.  

(...or in other words, just another character Mary played in her long career who I'd have loved to have grabbed by the shoulders and...well, YOU know!) ;)

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...or in other words, just another character Mary played in her long career who I'd have loved to have grabbed by the shoulders and...well, YOU know!) ;)

OH BELIEVE ME I DO!

i spend half my life alternating between wanting to do either

tumblr_lq58kd16p31qbm5l6o2_500.gif

or

tumblr_ml2bfv0FSb1qgvdf9o1_500.gif

To 2/3 OF THE PEOPLE I ENCOUNTER IN LIFE OR IN THE NEWS (MEN AND WOMEN!)

But of course, NATURE, MR. ALLNUT, IS WHAT WE ARE PUT ON THIS EARTH TO RISE ABOVE!

(or something like that)

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OH BELIEVE ME I DO!

or

To 2/3 OF THE PEOPLE I ENCOUNTER IN LIFE OR IN THE NEWS.

But of course, NATURE, MR. ALLNUT, IS WHAT WE ARE PUT ON THIS EARTH TO RISE ABOVE!

(or something like that)

LOL

Yeah, well, at least Kate in both The Philadelphia Story and The African Queen loosens up a bit by the story's ending, ya know.

(...and I'm having a tough time thinking of a film where Mary at first plays a tight***, but eventually also comes around)

Just now, Dargo said:

LOL

Yeah, well, at least Kate in both The Philadelphia Story and The African Queen loosens up a bit by the story's ending, ya know.

(...and I'm having a though time thinking of a film where Mary at firsts plays a tight***, but eventually also comes around)

THE GREAT LIE?

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE GREAT LIE?

Yeah, I suppose that might be one case.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OH BELIEVE ME I DO!

or

To 2/3 OF THE PEOPLE I ENCOUNTER IN LIFE OR IN THE NEWS (MEN AND WOMEN!)

(or something like that)

Yea,  I learned that on long flights to Italy when there is turbulence and stewards don't allow one to get out of their seat!

PS:  That "nature" line is the most memorable one for me and it had an impact on my personal live;    I believe nature is what mankind needs to merge with and be a part of.   Don't fight nature but become one-with-it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 28

Yikes!  June Allyson day..  

maxresdefault.jpg

9:37 p.m.  Picturesque Massachusetts (1942) short subject.

Oh, what the heck …

9fe31b95d0860423a689778daa6161d4.jpg

4 p.m.  Executive Suite (1954).  with an ensemble cast.

Low viewership, surely.....

One of the first times I read about Mary Astor was in Hollywood Babylon when her diary was

read in some trial she was involved in. It went into ecstasies over how George S. Kaufman

and his five acter sent her all shivering under the night sky stars. I watched The Great Lie last

night because I hadn't seen it in years. Entertaining no doubt though the plot is pretty hokey,

even for a 1940s women's picture. From my calculations Georgie was away for about a year and

yet his hair turned grey? Thankfully the picture ended before little Pete got too annoying but it

was getting pretty darn close. 

Yes, it was a child custody trial between her and her husband. He tried to use the diary to get custody, but she wound up winning and the diary was destroyed. How explicit it was and how much was just press hyperbole will never be known. But George was known as a ladies man (you wouldnt think so by looking at him!) About this time, Dodsworth was released and the studio was nervous how audiences would react, but the film turned out to be a hit and it all blew over.........

I don't think it was read aloud in court though.

I thought the trial had something to do with child custody, though I don't recall all the details.

I also don't recall if excerpts were read in court or if that was blocked by the judge. Hollywood

Babylon has some fact and some fiction in it, but the chapter about Mary Astor's case hewed

pretty close to the real court case, for which there was obvious documentation. Kaufman

certainly wasn't any Cary Grant. Maybe it was his wit and sense of humor. 

Several books about the trial came out around the same time a few years back. I read one of them. Hubby's lawyers, if I remember correctly, subpoenaed George, but he hid out and they couldn't find him to serve it! According to Mary's daughter, Mary turned out to be an indifferent mother despite the custody fight...(not in the Mommie Dearest category, but rather aloof).

Recommendation for June Allyson day: tonight/early tomorrow morning. High Barbaree is one of the few films I would recommend even to those who do not usually care for Allyson. This is an unusual romantic drama that I particularly like. The two children who grow up to be June Allyson and Van Johnson actually look like them--none of that Mickey Rooney grows up to be Clark Gable stuff. Nice supporting performances by Henry Hull, Geraldine Wall, and Marilyn Maxwell. The novel was written by Nordhoff and Hall, who wrote Mutiny on the Bounty.

June Allyson has probably never looked prettier than in High Barbaree. I wish that TCM had been able to get The Shrike (sometimes available online), where Allyson plays a wife who undercuts her husband (Jose Ferrer).

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Low viewership, surely.....

Now you see, I'm one of those people who doesn't mind June Allyson.  I'm looking forward to watching "The Opposite Sex", if only for the scene where June slaps Joan Collins so hard you can actually see her handprint on Joan's face!  I also like "Good News".  The story is pretty corny, but I like to watch it for the 'Pass That Peace Pipe' dance number, which I think is one of the most fun dance sequences in film.  The words to the song might be seen as a bit of a turn-off, but college kids breaking into a dance routine at a local malt shop in the 1920's?  I'll buy that.  I also like to look for the chick who 'dies' during the 'Varsity Drag' number later in the film.  She actually doesn't die (she faints, apparently), but the urban legend circulated around Hollywood so long that many came to think it was true.  She's on the left-hand side of the television screen, if anyone's interested in looking for it.

When I was a kid and off school during the summer months or those rare times we had a snow day, I'd sometime watch an afternoon talk show like Mike Douglas or Dinah Shore, if the guests caught my interest.  Just about every actor or actress who spoke about June Allyson spoke highly of her, that she was talented and pretty easy to get along with on the set.  Reading IMDB and hearing some of the TCM wrap-arounds over the years, there's a lot of men and women in Hollywood who couldn't have that said about them.

• Thanks 1

"Executive Suite"  --  for me, the only reason to tune in for June Allyson Day.  The cast includes some of my absolute favorite actors including:  William Holden, Barbara Stanwyck, Paul Douglas, Fredric March, Dean Jagger, and Walter Pidgeon.  I can even (almost) stand June in it.

EXECUTIVESUITE_00461915_1620x1303_080220071350.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheCid said:

Yeah, some of the genre listings are a bit off. On Ullmann day, I noticed that Hour of the Wolf is listed as "drama" when really it is more "horror" and New Land is listed as "adventure" when it should probably be "western" or "drama."

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Several books about the trial came out around the same time a few years back. I read one of them. Hubby's lawyers, if I remember correctly, subpoenaed George, but he hid out and they couldn't find him to serve it! According to Mary's daughter, Mary turned out to be an indifferent mother despite the custody fight...(not in the Mommie Dearest category, but rather aloof).

I didn't realize that after all that back and forth Mary turned out to be an indifferent mother. The

Crawford children would have seen indifference as paradise. From the little checking I did around

the internet, the diary was not allowed in the trial, though the husband did leak parts of it to the

papers. There is also the possibility that parts of it were forged, likely some of the more salacious

entries. After the trial it was locked in a bank vault and finally destroyed in the early 1950s. Might

make a nice little indie film.

Thursday, August 29

MV5BMzdhMDE0NDgtMDliMy00MGZkLTk3MGQtY2M5

6 a.m.  Strictly Dishonorable (1931).  With Paul Lukas and Sidney Fox.  Sounds promising.  Adapted from a Preston Sturges Broadway play.

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 29

MV5BMzdhMDE0NDgtMDliMy00MGZkLTk3MGQtY2M5

6 a.m.  Strictly Dishonorable (1931).  With Paul Lukas and Sidney Fox.  Sounds promising.  Adapted from a Preston Sturges Broadway play.

Wonderful poster/lobby card!