• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 29

MV5BMzdhMDE0NDgtMDliMy00MGZkLTk3MGQtY2M5

6 a.m.  Strictly Dishonorable (1931).  With Paul Lukas and Sidney Fox.  Sounds promising.  Adapted from a Preston Sturges Broadway play.

SOUNDS is the key word. Was very disappointed in it......Very talky, creaky early talkie.

13 hours ago, midwestan said:

Now you see, I'm one of those people who doesn't mind June Allyson.  I'm looking forward to watching "The Opposite Sex", if only for the scene where June slaps Joan Collins so hard you can actually see her handprint on Joan's face!  I also like "Good News".  The story is pretty corny, but I like to watch it for the 'Pass That Peace Pipe' dance number, which I think is one of the most fun dance sequences in film.  The words to the song might be seen as a bit of a turn-off, but college kids breaking into a dance routine at a local malt shop in the 1920's?  I'll buy that.  I also like to look for the chick who 'dies' during the 'Varsity Drag' number later in the film.  She actually doesn't die (she faints, apparently), but the urban legend circulated around Hollywood so long that many came to think it was true.  She's on the left-hand side of the television screen, if anyone's interested in looking for it.

When I was a kid and off school during the summer months or those rare times we had a snow day, I'd sometime watch an afternoon talk show like Mike Douglas or Dinah Shore, if the guests caught my interest.  Just about every actor or actress who spoke about June Allyson spoke highly of her, that she was talented and pretty easy to get along with on the set.  Reading IMDB and hearing some of the TCM wrap-arounds over the years, there's a lot of men and women in Hollywood who couldn't have that said about them.

I don't actually hate her, but I'd never watch a film because she was in it. There'd have to be other factors to get me to watch....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I didn't realize that after all that back and forth Mary turned out to be an indifferent mother. The

Crawford children would have seen indifference as paradise. From the little checking I did around

the internet, the diary was not allowed in the trial, though the husband did leak parts of it to the

papers. There is also the possibility that parts of it were forged, likely some of the more salacious

entries. After the trial it was locked in a bank vault and finally destroyed in the early 1950s. Might

make a nice little indie film.

Yeah, scandal rags would make up stuff purporting to be from her diary to sell papers. I wonder if Fear They Neighbor is on tomw night? It wasnt on last week for some reason. It cant be over allready? 3 episodes?

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I don't actually hate her, but I'd never watch a film because she was in it. There'd have to be other factors to get me to watch....

That's me re: June Allyson.  I don't hate her, nor do I go out of my way to avoid her.  However, there has to be something else in the film to get me to watch (director I like, hunky co-star, something). I've tried watching Good News three times now and can't get through the film.  Her co-star, Peter Lawford, is kind of the male June Allyson for me.  I don't actively dislike him, but I do really dislike his voice--not sexy at all. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

REALLY?(re: Walter Brennan's brief appearance in THE INVISIBLE MAN) 

Yep.  Ever since first seeing the movie as a kid.  Imagine----- seeing "Grandpappy Amos"  in a movie like that! :o

Sepiatone

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, scandal rags would make up stuff purporting to be from her diary to sell papers. I wonder if Fear They Neighbor is on tomw night? It wasnt on last week for some reason. It cant be over allready? 3 episodes?

I only remember two episodes, but I might have missed one. Even for the crazy scheduling

of ID, it was strange that it seems to have disappeared so soon. According to my local

weekly TV section it isn't on this week. I got a laugh out of the Lovelady, TX. police

department. The guy target shoots all night and there are bullet holes in the house, but

they aren't sure it he was the culprit. That turned out to be a dumb decision. 

Yeah, I think you missed the first episode. This is weird. Not on AGAIN? Yeah, I was glad when he got the needle!

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

That's me re: June Allyson.  I don't hate her, nor do I go out of my way to avoid her.  However, there has to be something else in the film to get me to watch (director I like, hunky co-star, something). I've tried watching Good News three times now and can't get through the film.  Her co-star, Peter Lawford, is kind of the male June Allyson for me.  I don't actively dislike him, but I do really dislike his voice--not sexy at all. 

Get over it, Speedy! You can't have Walter Brennan in everything!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, I think you missed the first episode. This is weird. Not on AGAIN? Yeah, I was glad when he got the needle!

Probably. My local TV section isn't always accurate but they likely are correct on this. I'm against

capital punishment but there are some circumstances that make me wonder, like this one. I can't

recall the reason, but his victims had a gun but didn't use it, maybe they couldn't get to it in time.

A very sad story.

Friday, August 30

Screen+Shot+2014-10-19+at+8.48.14+AM.png

4 p.m.  The Lusty Men (1952).  With Susan Hayward, Robert Mitchum and Arthur Kennedy.  Good Nicholas Ray film but I’m still not sure about that title.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, August 30

Screen+Shot+2014-10-19+at+8.48.14+AM.png

4 p.m.  The Lusty Men (1952).  With Susan Hayward, Robert Mitchum and Arthur Kennedy.  Good Nicholas Ray film but I’m still not sure about that title.

really good Nicholas Ray film that gets better every time I see it, but yeah- would make an unintentionally disappointing double bill with THE CONSTANT NYMPH.

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Probably. My local TV section isn't always accurate but they likely are correct on this. I'm against capital punishment but there are some circumstances that make me wonder, like this one. I can't recall the reason, but his victims had a gun but didn't use it, maybe they couldn't get to it in time.

A very sad story.

I'm not sure of what's being referred to(movie or actual incident) But reading what I put in "bold" did make me think of my favorite quote concerning EDITH BUNKER's approval of capital punishment:

"As long as it ain't TOO SEVERE."  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:31 AM, speedracer5 said:

That's exactly how I feel about them, but I wanted to watch, Good News, because it's sort of a classic of its kind and I had nothing better to do last night.

The story wasn't bad, the mood was cheerful, and Hubs and I were enjoying pretending this was the forerunner to Animal House. What kept throwing us was the singing!  Not the singers themselves or the tunes and lyrics that were pretty cute, but the actual style of singing that I don't know how to describe other than to say all the singers seemed to have been instructed to throw their voices into their noses and deliberately go flat. 

I know it's not the fault of the cast.  Judy Garland, one of the best singers of all time does the same thing in some of her musicals.  In fact I call this style, "Clang, Clang, Clang Went the Trolley," because it's the perfect example.

What is that?  How did my parents dare to make fun of my music when they had that?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I'm not sure of what's being referred to(movie or actual incident) But reading what I put in "bold" did make me think of my favorite quote concerning EDITH BUNKER's approval of capital punishment:

"As long as it ain't TOO SEVERE."  :D 

Sepiatone

This was an actual incident. The guy was a kook who killed three or four people, who were

his neighbors and had being feuding with him over a number of years. As kind as Edith

was, she didn't have a good grasp on certain parts of reality. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

really good Nicholas Ray film that gets better every time I see it, but yeah- would make an unintentionally disappointing double bill with THE CONSTANT NYMPH.

Come to think of it, "The Constant Nymph" could have been the title for "Born To Be Bad" given the way Joan Fontaine went after Zachary Scott and Robert Ryan!  Although, she really went after Scott for his dough and social connections.  Ryan was just the yum-yum on the side when the hubby was away.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vautrin said:

This was an actual incident. The guy was a kook who killed three or four people, who were

his neighbors and had being feuding with him over a number of years. As kind as Edith

was, she didn't have a good grasp on certain parts of reality. 

He killed them all at once or was it a serial killing? :huh: 

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

He killed them all at once or was it a serial killing? :huh: 

All at once. They were a family that lived next door to him and they had had a number of

disputes over the years. His wife left him, which didn't help his disposition any. One night

he took his rifle and just went into the house and started shooting members of the family.

Saturday, August 31

spartacus_douglas.jpg

8 p.m.  Spartacus (1960).  Kirk Douglas spectacle directed by Stanley Kubrick.

• Thanks 1

tonight for MISS SUSAN HAYWARD'S SUTS NIGHT, a premiere?-

10:15 PM
B/W - 101 m

TV-G

Closed
Captions
genre_NONE_expanded.gif

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Joseph L. Mankiewicz. Edward G. Robinson, Susan Hayward, Richard Conte, Luther Adler, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., Debra Paget, Hope Emerson, Esther Minciotti. Dynamic drama of ruthless financier Robinson who uses his four sons to suit his own schemes. Unique plotline has been utilized in various disguises for many subsequent films--most memorably, five years later in the Western BROKEN LANCE.

18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

. As kind as Edith was, she didn't have a good grasp on certain parts of reality. 

Well, that's probably because SHE WASN'T REAL!!!  :rolleyes::blink:

Sepiatone

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, that's probably because SHE WASN'T REAL!!!  :rolleyes::blink:

Sepiatone

Even for a sitcom character she was pretty clueless. Have to admit she was a bit of a

dingbat, though a nice one.

I think I saw House of Strangers quite some time ago when it was on the Fox Movie Channel or

whatever it is now called. Very entertaining, with Eddie G. chewing the scenery like Godzilla.

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2019 at 10:23 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

If Nymph was meant to have a lurid title, wouldn't it have an O at the end so it would be Nymph0?

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

If Nymph was meant to have a lurid title, wouldn't it have an O at the end so it would be Nymph0?

You are absolutely right. I was actually thinking about this earlier today. Honest to God.

ILL Copy and paste the full definition from dictionary.com when I get the chance, but as I recall a NYMPH is Like an elf or a Sprite or something like that. The point of the title is to me that Joan Fontaine’s character is always a child of the woods. 

NYM PHO  Is of course slang for the clinical definition, and I imagine that that slang has even been abbreviated and the word “nymph” has meant the dirty thing instead. 

That make sense?

ps- I did not think the auto sensor would have a problem with it.

pss NYM PHO Sounds like an awesome Korean restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1