Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Recommended Posts

OH LORD.

TOMORROW AT 10:00 AM

TROG!
10:00 AM
C - 91 m
Synopsis: A scientist tries to protect a caveman brought back from suspended animation.

I don't recall the last time this aired on TCM.

I KNOW YOU ALL THINK I HAVE SEEN IT MULTIPLE TIMES, BUT I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU: I NEVER HAVE I DON'T KNOW THAT I WANT TO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

OH LORD.

TOMORROW AT 10:00 AM

TROG!
10:00 AM
C - 91 m
Synopsis: A scientist tries to protect a caveman brought back from suspended animation.

I don't recall the last time this aired on TCM.

I KNOW YOU ALL THINK I HAVE SEEN IT MULTIPLE TIMES, BUT I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU: I NEVER HAVE I DON'T KNOW THAT I WANT TO.

Come on Lorna, buck up and watch Trog;  Don't you know the dammed don't cry.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 4:21 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, September 1

08d5ce7e8b57592dde212dc179ea9ec6.jpg

2 a.m.  Scent of a Woman (1974).  The original with Vittorio Gassman.

 

Beautiful film. Much better than the remake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday, September 4/5

a7db640aea09f3582af8cbbd7b14f6d9.jpg

3:30 a.m.  The General (1927).   A film masterpiece by Buster Keaton.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah, I doubt that most teenagers would have picked up on all of Shakespeare's erotic

puns unless the teacher pointed them out. 

Or maybe too, those making the protests.  Their "outrage" probably created more interest in The Bard from teens than there ever was to begin with.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Or maybe too, those making the protests.  Their "outrage" probably created more interest in The Bard from teens than there ever was to begin with.  ;) 

Sepiatone

That does often happen. A book or movie that people weren't all that interested in suddenly, for

whatever reason, becomes controversial and everybody starts talking about it. I guess that's

marginally better than some folks who want to censor books they've never read. That always

makes me laugh.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joan Crawford as you've never seen her before.

Joan fulfilling the promise of her early movie career.

Joan Crawford is TROG!!!

 

I hate to admit it, but I actually saw this thing when it first came out. Maybe I was

hit on the head that day. At least the buttered popcorn and Coke were good.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday, September 5

A night of James Bond!!

db40d9caca4d92d7ed03202fd097662e.png

12:15  Goldfinger (1964).  Gert Frobe makes a perfect Bond villain.  Sean Connery, Honor Blackman and Shirley Bassey’s title song are terrific.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

That does often happen. A book or movie that people weren't all that interested in suddenly, for

whatever reason, becomes controversial and everybody starts talking about it. I guess that's

marginally better than some folks who want to censor books they've never read. That always

makes me laugh.

I've mentioned in here before about an early '70's "soft porn" flick called NAKED CAME THE STRANGER that was playing at only one theater somewhere in Oakland County, MI with very little if any interest from the public.  Then the new(but now recently deceased Oakland County commissioner, but that came a few years later) Oakland county prosecuting attorney, claiming "in the name of common decency"  tried banning the movie on grounds of it being pornographic and puriently  indecent.  THEN the theater, whose management claimed the movie was going to be pulled early due to lack of revenue suddenly had lines around the block of people waiting to get in and see it.  ;)

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2019 at 5:27 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

OH LORD.

TOMORROW AT 10:00 AM

TROG!
10:00 AM
C - 91 m
Synopsis: A scientist tries to protect a caveman brought back from suspended animation.

I don't recall the last time this aired on TCM.

I KNOW YOU ALL THINK I HAVE SEEN IT MULTIPLE TIMES, BUT I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU: I NEVER HAVE I DON'T KNOW THAT I WANT TO.

So did you watch??? It's pretty bad, but not in a good way.........Sad end to Joan's career (picture wise)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Did anyone ever notice that TROG is GORT spelled backwards?  

LOL. Good to know......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I've mentioned in here before about an early '70's "soft porn" flick called NAKED CAME THE STRANGER that was playing at only one theater somewhere in Oakland County, MI with very little if any interest from the public.  Then the new(but now recently deceased Oakland County commissioner, but that came a few years later) Oakland county prosecuting attorney, claiming "in the name of common decency"  tried banning the movie on grounds of it being pornographic and puriently  indecent.  THEN the theater, whose management claimed the movie was going to be pulled early due to lack of revenue suddenly had lines around the block of people waiting to get in and see it.  ;)

Sepiatone

I remember, just vaguely, that movie title. Doesn't leave much to the imagination about its

content. Yeah about all it takes is some blabbermouth saying how immoral something is

for there to be an immediate uptick in interest. The theater should have sent him a free

pass as a thank you gift.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was reading the Wiki article on Trog. Joan would have a glass that said Pepsi on the outside

but it was full of 100 proof vodka. If only the move theater had given the same thing to every patron.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I remember, just vaguely, that movie title. Doesn't leave much to the imagination about its

content. Yeah about all it takes is some blabbermouth saying how immoral something is

for there to be an immediate uptick in interest. The theater should have sent him a free

pass as a thank you gift.

I remember the book, but not the movie. Who was in it? I seem to remember that various authors wrote one chapter in the book w/out using their real names. i don't know how they agreed on the plot details. LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I was reading the Wiki article on Trog. Joan would have a glass that said Pepsi on the outside

but it was full of 100 proof vodka. If only the move theater had given the same thing to every patron.

 

LOL. Probably how she got through the movie.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

So did you watch [TROG!] ??? It's pretty bad, but not in a good way.........Sad end to Joan's career (picture wise)

Hurricane's-a-comin (I live right on the East Coast)...so I have not found the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I remember the book, but not the movie. Who was in it? I seem to remember that various authors wrote one chapter in the book w/out using their real names. i don't know how they agreed on the plot details. LOL.

I think I remember the book too, or rather the title, more than the movie, which came out six years later.

There were no names that I recognized in the movie. Wiki has the details about the book. It was written

by a number of Newsday reporters and columnists, long before Ray Barone worked there. I suppose that

since it was a porn book plot details wren't all that important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Hurricane's-a-comin (I live right on the East Coast)...so I have not found the time.

I forgot about that. How close are you to the coast? My brother was happy it missed them (Jacksonville area). He just moved down there last year and this is his 3rd hurricane. Couldnt pay me to live in FL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I think I remember the book too, or rather the title, more than the movie, which came out six years later.

There were no names that I recognized in the movie. Wiki has the details about the book. It was written

by a number of Newsday reporters and columnists, long before Ray Barone worked there. I suppose that

since it was a porn book plot details wren't all that important. 

Yeah, I looked it up after I posted that. They "came out" some time after the book hit the best seller lists. I had to laugh when I read some chapters had to be heavily edited because they were too well written! LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday, September 6

zl6HcgYEKxdINIOWj9s9ulXoAFS.jpg

3 p.m.  Highly Dangerous (1950).  Good cast in this cold war film from the UK.  Margaret Lockwood, Marius Goring, Michael Hordern, Naunton Wayne.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hibi said:

I forgot about that. How close are you to the coast?

. Couldnt pay me to live in FL.

1. I live about 10 minutes away from (the literal) Atlantic Ocean. And the drive keeps getting a little bit shorter every year.

2. I don’t know, depends on where we’re talking about in Florida. The panhandle? Absolutely not. the Cinderella suite at Walt Disney castle? we can talk.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...