Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Best Actor Oscar winner Paul Muni only made 23 films in his whole career, a small number for the era. Since he’s our

Star of the Month, we’ll be showing 17 of them.

Join me every Monday in October starting tonight at 8ET/5PT with the original Scarface from 1932.

8 hours ago, TomJH said:

Wednesday, October 9 at 1:15am (EST)

Devil in a Blue Dress (1995)

Devil-Blue-Dress-1995.jpg

It's L.A. 1948 and Easy Rawlins is unemployed and needing money. A hood hires Easy to find a woman. Sounds easy enough. You know better than that.

Terrific atmosphere in a stylish neo noir told from a black perspective. Denzel Washington is sexy, charming and smooth as Easy but Don Cheadle, as "Mouse," Easy's psychotic gun crazy street friend, steals every scene he's in. Not to be missed by fans of noir or Washington.

They need to make more of Easy Rawlins series. there are 13 more novels all great.

Coming in very late on this one, what exactly is the topic though, please explain?

Tuesday, October 8

MV5BMTczMDY5NjAyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjM4

7:45 a.m.  Safe In Hell (1931).  According to the Maltin review a woman escapes to a tropical island paradise that is inhabited “by every form of slobbering lech and pervert imaginable.”   That’s some recommendation!

web1_8660350-14e371d2c56b43c88b0f11b7a5d

8 p.m. and 11:45 p.m.  Denzel Washington’s AFI Lifetime Achievement Award.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, October 9

27271227?forceFit=0&height=760&quality=5

6:30 p.m.  Hell’s Heroes (1930).  Maltin gives this early western 3 and a half stars.  Directed by William Wyler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

at midnight-thirty on OCT 9- THE LOST PATROL (1934)

I always ballyhoo this one when I see it coming on, it's part of the SHORT AND SWEET SPOTLIGHT and it should be the 8:00 pm entry, because if it is not in fact JOHN FORD'S BEST FILM, it is (I think) MY FAVORITE- and a really, really great example of how much story you can fit into less than an hour and 20 minutes (I cannot recall the official length of the film, BUT IT'S not much longer than an hour and ten.)

VICTOR MAGLAGLEN'S BEST ACTOR OSCAR THE FOLLOWING YEAR FOR "THE INFORMER" was, I think, in many ways due to how great he is in this film and BORIS KARLOFF is fantastic.

patrullametralleta.jpg

62b9053c8256a0044d0d61c4d2344ad2--john-f

There is just something magic about the way the desert films in black and white.

also REGINALD DENNY is SEXY AS HELL-

LostPatrol5.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the rec. I don't think I've ever seen this. I'll record it.

• Thanks 1

Thursday, October 10

MV5BMzc0YWIzNDEtOWZlMS00YjEzLWFlNzEtZGZj

4:45 p.m.  The Viking Queen (1967).  Sounds cheesy enough.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

DON MURRAY??? Who's the queen?

I love all the fringe on his outfit!

I guess the queen is Carita. (since no one answered me, I checked the schedule). Never heard of her!

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I guess the queen is Carita. (since no one answered me, I checked the schedule). Never heard of her!

I guess she's the Viking Queen. I hope she wears the helmet with the horns at some point in the film.

EDIT: I guess Carita is the actress. I thought that was the Queen's name! The Queen is apparently "Salina." Hmm... Carita is Finnish.  Nothing says Viking like Finland.

I don't understand how the Viking Queen and her lady in waiting aren't freezing in Scandinavia! 

Yes, I meant the actress. Another one name wonder........

On 10/7/2019 at 4:59 PM, cigarjoe said:

They need to make more of Easy Rawlins series. there are 13 more novels all great.

Alicia Malone stated in her post-movie wrap that "Devil In A Blue Dress" was critically acclaimed, but it was a box office bomb.  Because it lost money, producers have been more than hesitant to pursue any more Easy Rawlins stories.  I liked the movie shown with Denzel Washington.  Too bad they couldn't have made another episode or two.

Friday, October 11

Just when you thought it was safe to go out in the streets of Tokyo …

MV5BODdjMGUwMTMtYTA1Yy00YTNhLWEwYjQtZTMy

8 p.m.  Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964).  … kicks off another Godzilla fest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, midwestan said:

Alicia Malone stated in her post-movie wrap that "Devil In A Blue Dress" was critically acclaimed, but it was a box office bomb.  Because it lost money, producers have been more than hesitant to pursue any more Easy Rawlins stories.  I liked the movie shown with Denzel Washington.  Too bad they couldn't have made another episode or two.

Somebody should pick it up the rights to The Easy Rawlins novels and make a mini series.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hibi said:

sorry, it's been OSCAR MONTH LEVELS OF QUIET HERE for the last few days...

CARITA sounds like the Puerto Rican version of the Yugo.

tonight's schedule offers some interest tho:

TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: BLACK MAGIC
8:00 PM

horror

9:15 PM

horror

10:45 PM

horror

12:15 AM

horror

2:00 AM

horror

3:45 AM

horror

5:30 AM

horror
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

sorry, it's been OSCAR MONTH LEVELS OF QUIET HERE for the last few days...

I looked her up on imdb, surprised to learn CARITA was actually her real name, she just dropped her last name. Apparently Viking Queen is her claim to fame. Very brief resume.

• Thanks 1

Saturday, October 12

maxresdefault.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Customers Wanted (1939).

19 hours ago, Hibi said:

I looked her up on imdb, surprised to learn CARITA was actually her real name, she just dropped her last name. Apparently Viking Queen is her claim to fame. Very brief resume.

CARITA- 

1967- lead actress, VIKING QUEEN

1968-present, Manager of IKEA in Oslo.

• Haha 2

On 10/10/2019 at 9:25 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

To me, sounds a bit like a brand of pseudo Latino coffee, like CAFE BUSTELO(founded in the Bronx, New York in 1928)  You know....  :D 

CAFE CARITA  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1