Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Saturday, October 19

x1080

10 a.m.  Popeye: Leave Well Enough Alone (1933).

derivative2X11569335718933.jpg

8 p.m.  Pather Panchali (1958).  When film is poetry.  Satyajit Ray’s debut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

For the 1938 best picture Oscar, for me the real battle is between “The Adventures of Robin Hood,” and the “The Lady Vanishes,” with the edge going to ‘Robin Hood,’ because of my love for Errol.  

I watched The Lady Vanishes last year for the first time in a long while. I found it a droll, very British, delight. I particularly like that delightful little moment of sportsmanship at the end when Paul Lukas, as the villain, realizing he has just lost, wishes the heroes of the film "jolly good luck" as they get away.

But, having said that, I think The Adventures of Robin Hood is unquestionably the best film of 1938. With that semi-operatic musical score by Korngold, a perfect casting of the stars, Mike Curtiz at the directorial helm for most of the big scenes, and that rousing duel at the end, it is one of the great fairy tale adventures of the movies.

• Like 1

Saturday the 19th at 2:00- "Zombies, arraviste!"- WHITE ZOMBIE (1932), MY SECOND FAVORITE (classic) HORROR FILM OF ALL TIME.

BELA BRINGS his A+ eyebrow game:

tumblr_ndmfviQ6UZ1rdfgw4o1_500.gif

even though the film is in the public domain, TCM shows the restored version, which is how you must see it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

I watched The Lady Vanishes last year for the first time in a long while. I found it a droll, very British, delight. I particularly like that delightful little moment of sportsmanship at the end when Paul Lukas, as the villain, realizing he has just lost, wishes the heroes of the film "jolly good luck" as they get away.

But, having said that, I think The Adventures of Robin Hood is unquestionably the best film of 1938. With that semi-operatic musical score by Korngold, a perfect casting of the stars, Mike Curtiz at the directorial helm for most of the big scenes, and that rousing duel at the end, it is one of the great fairy tale adventures of the movies.

I loved The Lady Vanishes.  I also thought that Michael Redgrave bore a striking resemblance to Errol.  He even spoke with a similar cadence and style as Errol.  While watching the movie I could imagine Errol performing the same scenes and delivering the same lines.

I also thought that the film was interesting in that both "hell" and "damn" are used in their modern context.  There is also the scene of the two side characters sleeping, and sharing one set of pajamas. I thought that was interesting for a 1930s film.

I would agree though that The Adventures of Robin Hood is the best film of 1938--normally I'm not a big action film fan, but this film is fun from start to finish. 

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I loved The Lady Vanishes.  I also thought that Michael Redgrave bore a striking resemblance to Errol.  He even spoke with a similar cadence and style as Errol.  While watching the movie I could imagine Errol performing the same scenes and delivering the same lines.

I also thought that the film was interesting in that both "hell" and "damn" are used in their modern context.  There is also the scene of the two side characters sleeping, and sharing one set of pajamas. I thought that was interesting for a 1930s film.

I agree that Redgrave's performance fit right in with the film's light hearted tone. I also enjoy the dry British humour provided by Naunton Wayne and Basil Radford as Charters and Caldicott, the cricket-obsessed Britishers who get caught up in the espionage aboard the train (these were the two sharing those jammies).

• Like 1

Sunday, October 20

Two by Jia Zhang-Ke

6a00d8341c6e6853ef01b7c77574f3970b-pi

2:25 a.m.  Unknown Pleasures (2002).

1*ZT09AmY9Oi9kKh_7oPoOAQ.jpeg

4:15 a.m.  The World (2004).

• Thanks 1

Monday, October 21

MV5BMTI3NTM3YzctZTJiMy00ZmNhLWJiMDYtNjkx

2 a..m.  Juarez (1939).  The cast is the show in this film.  Bette Davis, Paul Muni, Claude Rains, Brian Aherne, John Garfield, Gale Sondergaard, Donald Crisp, Gilbert Roland and Louis Calhern.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, October 21

MV5BMTI3NTM3YzctZTJiMy00ZmNhLWJiMDYtNjkx

2 a..m.  Juarez (1939).  The cast is the show in this film.  Bette Davis, Paul Muni, Claude Rains, Brian Aherne, John Garfield, Gale Sondergaard, Donald Crisp, Gilbert Roland and Louis Calhern.

Juarez is my favourite of Paul Muni's three biographical films at Warners. Not because of Muni, though. Brian Aherne had arguably the highlight role of his career, bringing sensitivity and dignity to the role of Maximillian. Impressive Korngold score, and Davis, as Carlotta, has a great mad scene.

• Like 3

I also like Muni's performance in Juarez quite a lot. Here's a man who deliberately presents himself as an idol to be worshipped. He's one cool customer who knows how to present himself to create the kind of effect he wants.

• Like 1

Tuesday, October 22

ladysingstheblues1.jpg

10 p.m.  Lady Sings the Blues (1972).  With Billy Dee Williams, Richard Pryor and Diana Ross as Billie Holliday.

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, October 22

ladysingstheblues1.jpg

10 p.m.  Lady Sings the Blues (1972).  With Billy Dee Williams, Richard Pryor and Diana Ross as Billie Holliday.

I want to like this movie, but there are so many long tedious scenes with HIGH DRAMATICS- even though I absolutely think MISS ROSS deserved that nomination- 15-20 minutes needed to be cut.

25 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

If you haven't seen it before this outtake from Juarez is pretty amusing.

tumblr_n9t0fqxM1e1sf4ytyo8_r2_500.gif.0c27867e01bd5c128d977a3a45c59147.gif

The Warner Brothers Breakdown videos are pretty funny. There's another one from The Sisters with Bette Davis and Errol Flynn where Bette is in the lobby of a local arena.  She isn't feeling well (she's with child, Errol doesn't know yet) and the gruesomeness of the boxing match has made her feel ill.  Errol comes out to see if she's okay.  I think she's supposed to tell him that she's not feeling well because she's having a baby.  Instead, in the breakdown reel, she tells Errol that she "just had a baby in the bathroom."  Errol, I imagine was caught off guard by Bette's ad-lib and he starts laughing. 

There are also a couple of bloopers from Silver River where Errol jokingly makes fun of Ann Sheridan for something and she calls him a s c h m u c k. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

The Warner Brothers Breakdown videos are pretty funny. There's another one from The Sisters with Bette Davis and Errol Flynn where Bette is in the lobby of a local arena.  She isn't feeling well (she's with child, Errol doesn't know yet) and the gruesomeness of the boxing match has made her feel ill.  Errol comes out to see if she's okay.  I think she's supposed to tell him that she's not feeling well because she's having a baby.  Instead, in the breakdown reel, she tells Errol that she "just had a baby in the bathroom."  Errol, I imagine was caught off guard by Bette's ad-lib and he starts laughing. 

There are also a couple of bloopers from Silver River where Errol jokingly makes fun of Ann Sheridan for something and she calls him a s c h m u c k.

Those reels are called "BREAKDOWNS OF [WHATEVER YEAR THE BLOOPERS CAME FROM]"

You can find them unedited, with bad words and everything, on youtube...one of the things that I recall is how often PAT OBRIEN messes up, but how good natured he is about it. he also loses his toupee a lot

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Those reels are called "BREAKDOWNS OF [WHATEVER YEAR THE BLOOPERS CAME FROM]"

You can find them unedited, with bad words and everything, on youtube...one of the things that I recall is how often PAT OBRIEN messes up, but how good natured he is about it. he also loses his toupee a lot

YES! I think I've watched all of these.  Bette Davis has quite the potty mouth.

• Haha 1

And doesn't Olivia curse in some of them?  Weren't they used against her in the FEUD lawsuit? (i.e. we didn't make it up, Ms. de Havilland is capable of being foul mouthed .)

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2015 at 4:53 PM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, May 16

The only feature that I haven’t seen is the one on at 2:30 a.m., An American Hippie in Israel.  And I guess I still won’t have seen it as we get Gunsmoke at that time in the UK.

It is followed by I Love You, Alice B. Toklas which could provide some good discussion here.

My favourite of the day is The Sundowners.  I think Mitchum is great in this.  And for a guy who doesn’t getting his acting chops due some of the time, here is another role where he has to put on an accent.  Ryan’s Daughter was another.

I cannot recall who it was that had Glynnis Johns on their ‘not fond of’ list, but this film may be something to consider watching if he or she hasn’t already seen it.

I didn’t much care for Tales of Hoffman.  It doesn’t have a parallel story as does Red Shoes and is pretty much just a presentation of a the ballet.  If you like that sort of thing …

I caught Invitation to the Dance last year and thought it was particularly vomit worthy.

And I see Batman is fighting the Japanese yet again.  Are these Japanese spies on the mainland?  The ones that escaped internment?  Is is Batman taking his costume into combat?

Seems to have a few things on offer that the kids might like to watch like Mighty Joe Young.  If they can tolerate b&w. 

Sundowners is just great, he liked Heaven Knows Mr. Allyson best of his 97 flix though

58 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

And doesn't Olivia curse in some of them?  Weren't they used against her in the FEUD lawsuit? (i.e. we didn't make it up, Ms. de Havilland is capable of being foul mouthed .)

Hmm. I'm trying to remember.  I think she does! I'm pretty sure she says "son of a [insert term for female dog here]." In one of them. 

I think there's another one with Errol from Gentleman Jim. It's a scene where he's being worked on by his cutman. But I cannot recall what the blooper is. 

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, October 23

sonsof2.jpg

11 p.m.  Sons of the Desert (1933).  Laurel & Hardy as the original Water Buffalos.  This is replaced in Canada with The Fall Guy (1930).

17 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

YES! I think I've watched all of these.  Bette Davis has quite the potty mouth.

Yeah, real shocker there.

• Haha 2

I do not recall OLIVIA DeHAVILLAND swearing, but I do remember that JOEL McREA gets ANGRY when he blows a line, the clip cuts before you see it ALL- but in the four seconds you do see, it seems like he EXPLODES with RAGE (which is understandable on multiple levels)

also there is one where DANNY KAYE will not stop MUGGING and CLOWNING and BLOWING HIS LINES and someone important on set (and MY HERO) basically tells him to knock it off.

• Haha 1

Oh my,

I did not know that MAHOGANY (1975) was airing after LADY SINGS THE BLUES tonight.

It is, um, really something for those who have not seen it.

hqdefault.jpg

I notice there was little(if any) mention of HERE COME THE NELSONS on this past Sunday.  As someone who grew up watching THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET on TV, I got a kick out of seeing how adorable Ricky Nelson was at 11.  And I never tire of being reminded of how gorgeous Harriet Nelson(nee: Hilliard) was when younger.  As I was probably close to 7 or 8 when I started watching the show regularly, Both Ozzie and Harriet were up in age enough I really couldn't tell which parent Ricky favored. (Dave was clearly a sort of Harriet clone).  Then, I came across this(which I believe I posted somewhere before in these forums)----

Clearly, Ricky is Ozzie's thru and thru.

The shorts that followed tickled my nostalgic fancy too, as it's been years since I've heard( but never saw the short)  "Wave A Stick Blues".  :D  Ben mentioned Ozzie's business acumen and how those musical shorts were quality filmed, and some years back there was a retrospective of Ozzie Nelson's work on the film montage that accompanied Ricky's song "Travelin' Man" on their TV show, which some attributed as an early music video.  But too, others claim the earliest were the "soundies"  

Well.....  (FF to 1:30 for the montage)

and----

Sepiatone

6 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I notice there was little(if any) mention of HERE COME THE NELSONS on this past Sunday.  As someone who grew up watching THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET on TV, I got a kick out of seeing how adorable Ricky Nelson was at 11.  And I never tire of being reminded of how gorgeous Harriet Nelson(nee: Hilliard) was when younger.  As I was probably close to 7 or 8 when I started watching the show regularly, Both Ozzie and Harriet were up in age enough I really couldn't tell which parent Ricky favored. (Dave was clearly a sort of Harriet clone).  Then, I came across this(which I believe I posted somewhere before in these forums)----

Clearly, Ricky is Ozzie's thru and thru.

The shorts that followed tickled my nostalgic fancy too, as it's been years since I've heard( but never saw the short)  "Wave A Stick Blues".  :D  Ben mentioned Ozzie's business acumen and how those musical shorts were quality filmed, and some years back there was a retrospective of Ozzie Nelson's work on the film montage that accompanied Ricky's song "Travelin' Man" on their TV show, which some attributed as an early music video.  But too, others claim the earliest were the "soundies"  

Well.....  (FF to 1:30 for the montage)

and----

Sepiatone

I caught the last half of the O&H movie set at a rodeo and the outro afterwards.  Now I know how the TV series came to be.

One of the local OTA stations here periodically shows O&H and we have a Christmas TV shows DVD with 4 O&H shows on it.  So, I have seen several of the shows.  Two of the Christmas shows are fairly interesting and one even features Ricky predominately.  However, the other actors, script and direction save it from his weak acting. 

As for the regular shows, not all that good in my opinion.  The scripts are weak and the acting is very stilted.  If I recall correctly Ozzie wrote, produced and directed the TV shows for the most part.

I have a The Falcon DVD with a show on it with Harriett Hillard (Nelson).  Didn't realize until later that she was Harriett Nelson.  She actually performed better in The Falcon movie than she did in the O&H movie or in the TV show.  Not sure why, but suspect too much Ozzie influence.

As for Rickie, in my opinion he could neither act nor sing.  His "hits" were a fluke with many being recorded with special techniques to make up for his poor singing, at least initially.  I listened to a lot of Rock and Roll in the late 50's and 60's so I heard him as well as many, many others.