Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Oh my,

I did not know that MAHOGANY (1975) was airing after LADY SINGS THE BLUES tonight.

It is, um, really something for those who have not seen it.

hqdefault.jpg

LOL. Wish I had enough space on the DVR to record it.........

• Thanks 1

Harriet was also in Follow the Fleet with Astaire and Rogers and introduced, "Get Thee Behind Me, Satan".  I think originally Irene Dunne was supposed to be in it, but dropped out for some reason. I recorded Here Come the Nelsons, but havent watched it yet. I remember the tv show and watched the later years, but was too young to comment on the quality. Would be nice to see it again to see.

I've never seen The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett.  It was a show that was long gone by the time I was born, and it never ended up on either Nick at Nite or TV Land, which is where I watched all the old sitcoms.

I knew Ricky Nelson from The Parent Trap, when the Boston twin, Sharon, is helping California twin, Susan, put all her photos back up on the wall after a storm rips through their isolation chamber.

(SUSAN is hanging the photo of Ricky Nelson on the wall)

SHARON: Is that your boyfriend?

SUSAN: Ricky Nelson?! I wish he was! 

That was pretty much all I knew about Ricky Nelson was his photo and a comment from Hayley Mills about how she wanted to date him.  I was able to discern from that scene that Ricky was a teen idol in the early 60s.  Then I learned about his music career and really enjoyed his music.  I have his music on my Apple Music and I also bought a greatest hits record for my record player.  I was disappointed that the commemorative Ricky Nelson poster had long since been removed from the album sleeve.  Lol.

Ricky Nelson for me joins my list of favorite 1950s/1960s teen idols that I can also idolize as they were much better (and more attractive) than the teen idols of my generation (save for Luke Perry, be still my heart). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I caught the last half of the O&H movie set at a rodeo and the outro afterwards.  Now I know how the TV series came to be.

One of the local OTA stations here periodically shows O&H and we have a Christmas TV shows DVD with 4 O&H shows on it.  So, I have seen several of the shows.  Two of the Christmas shows are fairly interesting and one even features Ricky predominately.  However, the other actors, script and direction save it from his weak acting. 

As for the regular shows, not all that good in my opinion.  The scripts are weak and the acting is very stilted.  If I recall correctly Ozzie wrote, produced and directed the TV shows for the most part.

I have a The Falcon DVD with a show on it with Harriett Hillard (Nelson).  Didn't realize until later that she was Harriett Nelson.  She actually performed better in The Falcon movie than she did in the O&H movie or in the TV show.  Not sure why, but suspect too much Ozzie influence.

As for Rickie, in my opinion he could neither act nor sing.  His "hits" were a fluke with many being recorded with special techniques to make up for his poor singing, at least initially.  I listened to a lot of Rock and Roll in the late 50's and 60's so I heard him as well as many, many others.

I always felt a bit sorry for WALLY( Skip Young) who not only went to college and was a fraternity brother with DAVID, but was still stuck in college and was also a fraternity brother with RICK when HE finally reached college age.  I imagine he probably died of old age still sleeping in his room at the Frat house!  ;)  

I wonder what you expected from early to mid '50's and '60's sitcoms( or any sitcoms from any decade) as Muni and Olivier level acting was never required for them.  Nor for many of the "dramas" either. We all have our likes and dislikes, and for whatever reason I liked the show.  You can't really knock the success of a TV show that lasted 14 seasons that had the head of the family doing not much more than running out to get a quart of ice cream!  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I always felt a bit sorry for WALLY( Skip Young) who not only went to college and was a fraternity brother with DAVID, but was still stuck in college and was also a fraternity brother with RICK when HE finally reached college age.  I imagine he probably died of old age still sleeping in his room at the Frat house!  ;)  ***

I wonder what you expected from early to mid '50's and '60's sitcoms( or any sitcoms from any decade) as Muni and Olivier level acting was never required for them.  Nor for many of the "dramas" either. We all have our likes and dislikes, and for whatever reason I liked the show.  You can't really knock the success of a TV show that lasted 14 seasons that had the head of the family doing not much more than running out to get a quart of ice cream!  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

***The way Skip hung around the Nelson house always talking to Ozzie, whether he was in school with Ricky or David, made me wonder if maybe he had a man crush on Ozzie. Or maybe he was just smoozing up to the boss cuz Ozzie sure kept him employed for quite a few seasons.

Anyway, he was my favorite supporting actor on that show.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I always felt a bit sorry for WALLY( Skip Young) who not only went to college and was a fraternity brother with DAVID, but was still stuck in college and was also a fraternity brother with RICK when HE finally reached college age.  I imagine he probably died of old age still sleeping in his room at the Frat house!  ;)  

Sepiatone

LOL! Yeah, Poor Wally. I seem to remember I never liked him. I guess he flunked out a few years or only took a few courses so it took him forever to graduate...The fat, jolly sidekick there for comic relief. The only thing I remember about Ozzie were his sweaters! I loved the end of the shows where Ricky would play his latest hit.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I've never seen The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett.  It was a show that was long gone by the time I was born, and it never ended up on either Nick at Nite or TV Land, which is where I watched all the old sitcoms.

I knew Ricky Nelson from The Parent Trap, when the Boston twin, Sharon, is helping California twin, Susan, put all her photos back up on the wall after a storm rips through their isolation chamber.

(SUSAN is hanging the photo of Ricky Nelson on the wall)

SHARON: Is that your boyfriend?

SUSAN: Ricky Nelson?! I wish he was! 

That was pretty much all I knew about Ricky Nelson was his photo and a comment from Hayley Mills about how she wanted to date him.  I was able to discern from that scene that Ricky was a teen idol in the early 60s.  Then I learned about his music career and really enjoyed his music.  I have his music on my Apple Music and I also bought a greatest hits record for my record player.  I was disappointed that the commemorative Ricky Nelson poster had long since been removed from the album sleeve.  Lol.

Ricky Nelson for me joins my list of favorite 1950s/1960s teen idols that I can also idolize as they were much better (and more attractive) than the teen idols of my generation (save for Luke Perry, be still my heart). 

Speedy-- You can see why the girls just were crazy about Ricky. He had quite a few hit records too, "Hello, Mary Lou" was probably his biggest. " Stood Up" was Paul McCartney's favorite.

Ricky's musical inspiration was the Yellow Sun performers like Jerry Lee and Carl Perkins. I believe he eventually made a record with them.

Before TV, the Nelsons were a big hit on radio and Ricky was the star of the show, playing a smart aleck cute little wise guy.

He was still touring and doing concerts in the mid 80s when he was killed in an airplane crash.

My favorite Ricky Nelson record is "Fools Rush In" from 1964. I think that was the only hit he had from the American popular song book. Everybody recorded that number, but his arrangement was really current and pop youth-oriented.

" Garden Party " was his last big hit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Speedy-- You can see why the girls just were crazy about Ricky. He had quite a few hit records too, "Hello, Mary Lou" was probably his biggest. " Stood Up" was Paul McCartney's favorite.

Ricky's musical inspiration was the Yellow Sun performers like Jerry Lee and Carl Perkins. I believe he eventually made a record with them.

Before TV, the Nelsons were a big hit on radio and Ricky was the star of the show, playing a smart aleck cute little wise guy.

He was still touring and doing concerts in the mid 80s when he was killed in an airplane crash.

My favorite Ricky Nelson record is "Fools Rush In" from 1964. I think that was the only hit he had from the American popular song book. Everybody recorded that number, but his arrangement was really current and pop youth-oriented.

I can see why he was a teen idol, he was cute! He and James Darren are my favorite teen idols from that period.

I like "Hello Mary Lou" and "Fools Rush In" too. I also enjoy "Garden Party." I'm also a fan of "It's Late" and "Travelin' Man." 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I can see why he was a teen idol, he was cute! He and James Darren are my favorite teen idols from that period.

I like "Hello Mary Lou" and "Fools Rush In" too. I also enjoy "Garden Party." I'm also a fan of "It's Late" and "Travelin' Man." 

Ricky was almost as big as Elvis!

James Darren made a few movies had a couple records but he was never on that level.

After Elvis went into the Army, they built up Fabian. He was a good-looking nice guy with absolutely no musical talent whatsoever. But he wasn't bad at all when I saw him in this one Jimmy Stewart movie called "Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation".

Jerry Lee Lewis used to say the Bobbys ended rock and roll music with their Tin Pan Alley Brill building identical type songs.

Jerry Lee was referring to Bobby Darin, Bobby Vee, Bobby Rydell, Bobby Vinton Etc.

These guys were all credible singers but Bobby Darin was the only one who really crossed over into legitimate music.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Ricky was almost as big as Elvis!

James Darren made a few movies had a couple records but he was never on that level.

After Elvis went into the Army, they built up Fabian. He was a good-looking nice guy with absolutely no musical talent whatsoever. But he wasn't bad at all when I saw him in this one Jimmy Stewart movie called "Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation".

Jerry Lee Lewis used to say the Bobbys ended rock and roll music with their Tin Pan Alley Brill building identical type songs.

Jerry Lee was referring to Bobby Darin, Bobby Vee, Bobby Rydell, Bobby Vinton Etc.

These guys were all credible singers but Bobby Darin was the only one who really crossed over into legitimate music.

I like James Darren in Gidget and Gidget Goes Hawaiian and then he was in another teen beach movie I liked, For Those Who Think Young.  I started watching the 1966-1967 time travel series, The Time Tunnel for Darren and I'm really liking it.  

I've seen Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation.  I agree about Fabian.  I did like his music in the movie.  I did not like his wispy facial hair!

I love love love Bobby Darin.  I loved his movies with wife Sandra Dee and his music.  I have tons of his music on my Apple Music and I think I also have 3 Bobby Darin records. My favorite Bobby Darin song is "Dreamlover." 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

I like James Darren in Gidget and Gidget Goes Hawaiian and then he was in another teen beach movie I liked, For Those Who Think Young.  I started watching the 1966-1967 time travel series, The Time Tunnel for Darren and I'm really liking it.  

I've seen Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation.  I agree about Fabian.  I did like his music in the movie.  I did not like his wispy facial hair!

I love love love Bobby Darin.  I loved his movies with wife Sandra Dee and his music.  I have tons of his music on my Apple Music and I think I also have 3 Bobby Darin records. My favorite Bobby Darin song is "Dreamlover." 

Sandra Dee was my favorite grade school teen star. She had such a fantastic wardrobe in those movies she made with Bobby.

I have both of the DVDs--Come September & If A Man Answers.

You know Lucy's favorite record was Bobby's live recording at the Copa.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Sandra Dee was my favorite grade school teen star. She had such a fantastic wardrobe in those movies she made with Bobby.

I have both of the DVDs--Come September & If A Man Answers.

You know Lucy's favorite record was Bobby's live recording at the Copa.

They also made That Funny Feeling.  I have both of the ones you mentioned and that film. 

Oh man. I own Bobby's recording at the Copa.  That makes me love Lucy even more.

I agree with you regarding Sandra Dee.  She's one of my favorites as well.  She had such a sad life. I think it's funny that she's associated with being this virginal persona.  She has pre-marital sex and gets pregnant in A Summer Place, in Doctor, You've Got to Be Kidding! she's an unwed pregnant woman who is involved with three different men prior to getting pregnant, and in Take Her She's Mine, she's lamenting to her father that she's still a virgin! 

My favorite Sandra Dee movies are Gidget, Take Her She's Mine and A Summer Place

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

He also had a rock version of For You. Unsure who penned it. Irving Berlin?

No it was Joseph Burke/Al Dubin.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Speaking of Ricky Nelson and Bobby Darin, I just heard a Ricky Nelson version of "Dream Lover."  Except his version sounded more like a song that you would slow dance to, it had a country music vibe, rather than Bobby Darin's loud, jazzy, lounge music version. 

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Rickly Nelson had a lot of talent and I'm a fan.    I added Traveling Man to my set as a homage to my late-brother.   Note that the John Lennon \ Beatles song,  This Boy uses 90% of the same musical structure as Traveling Man expect for the 'only the Beatles did this type of chord',   a D9 used for the start of the bridge. 

But clearly John and Paul were influenced by Nelson,   and of course those that influenced him,  like Carl Perkins (e.g. What Goes On uses a Perkins chord progression).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

One of the benefits of all the OTA stations (with many on cable, etc.) is that they often show shows from the 50's and 60's.  Or at least used to as I think some of them are migrating to the late 70's, 80's and 90's now.

So, I have been able to watch other shows from the early 50's and 60's and in my opinion, the acting, scripts and directing were better in all the others I have seen.  In fact, I believe the supporting cast, such as Wally, actually performed better than the Nelsons.

5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This isn't legitimate music?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Love Bobby's "Blue on Blue" written by Hal David and Burt Bacharach. But in General stuff like "roses are red" are teenage fluff, which sold millions of copies. LOL

But Bobby is no Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis jr., Steve Lawrence, Eddie Fisher, Jack Jones, Vic Damone, Tony Bennett and my personal favorite Nat King Cole, plus I don't want to leave out Mel Torme, and the Heavenly Johnny Mathis-- just to name a few of the best.

However, the Polish Prince has his fans, apparently. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Even us slobs at the jazz musical forum don't believe in the concept of 'legit' music or NOT.

Instead we just call it crap.

• Haha 1

To be fair, I have a tendency to refer to Korean popular music as K-Crap.  Formulaic girl groups and androgynous-looking men trying to cop a phony snotty attitude doing hip-hop.  Terrible, the lot of it.

Since this is taking a musical direction I'll mention the film I watched Monday night;   A Song to Remember:    I had seen the film before but my wife hadn't and she liked it (she really likes classical music).  

The one thing I noticed was a topic that is being discussed at the jazz forum;   Now much people today 'know' about music compared to prior generations,  especially those before there was recorded music.

At first I assumed that, before recorded music,  since exposure was rare for most people, they would lack knowledge.    E.g. how often would the average citizen hear music?   When it comes to the best musicians,  the answer was never.    Of course A Song to Remember featured the wealthy,  but even then I assume they only listened to first rate musicians once a week,  at most.     

Of course today,  one hears music 24\7 and if one wants to listen to the best musicians,  all it takes is to hit 'play'.  BUT all that being said,  I suspect appreciation of high-quality music was greater before recordings.  Is this also the case with knowledge of music theory?   

So while it sounds odd to say that more exposure and ease of access would lead to less appreciation and knowledge, I believe that was the case.

• Like 2

Thursday, October 24

5e5ff60b72e162df9a63b77e851bf616.jpg

11 a.m.  Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977).  With Patrick Wayne and Jane Seymour and directed by Sam Wanamaker of all people.

14 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Love Bobby's "Blue on Blue" written by Hal David and Burt Bacharach. But in General stuff like "roses are red" are teenage fluff, which sold millions of copies. LOL

But Bobby is no Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis jr., Steve Lawrence, Eddie Fisher, Jack Jones, Vic Damone, Tony Bennett and my personal favorite Nat King Cole, plus I don't want to leave out Mel Torme, and the Heavenly Johnny Mathis-- just to name a few of the best.

However, the Polish Prince has his fans, apparently. 

I didn't realize Blue on Blue was a Bacharach/David song. I also liked Blue Velvet, but the film has ruined the song for me now.....