• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

On 10/27/2019 at 5:15 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, October 28

maxresdefault.jpg

1 p.m.  Critic’s Choice (1963).  With Bob Hope and Lucille Ball.  Anyone seen this one?  I’ve stayed away from it for 56 years.

You aren't missing anything......

Imbarco a Mezzanotte aka Stranger on the Prowl (1952), a Paul Muni film that I had never heard of WAS originally on the schedule for 8 p.m. but it has been replaced by Angel on My Shoulder (1946).

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

You aren't missing anything......

Re: Critic's Choice with Bob Hope and Lucille Ball.  If I remember right, in this film, Bob Hope plays a theater critic who ends up having to review wife Lucille Ball's latest play. Hope is known for writing bitter, disparaging reviews of plays he dislikes.  Lucy announces her intention to write an autobiographical play and even gets a financier to back it.  Hope is reluctant to review her play, fearing that his prejudices against her even embarking on the playwright project will influence his final review.  Lucy is worried that if he does review it and likes it, that it'll seem like nepotism; but on the other hand, she feels like if he reviews it and hates it, her feelings would be hurt.  However, at some point, I think she wants him to review it, because getting a good review from such an esteemed critic like Hope would add a level of prestige to her play.

Like Hibi said, you aren't missing anything. Lol.  Lucy's best movie work in the 50s-60s is The Long Long Trailer and Yours, Mine and Ours

• Thanks 1

Being a Theater Critic must have seemed like such a classy profession in the 1960s: 

David Niven did it in Please Don't Eat the Daisies a few years earlier.

8 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Being a Theater Critic must have seemed like such a classy profession in the 1960s: 

Don't forget Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace in the 40s.

Grant always has class!   (but to me the best type of actor to play a theater critic is either Sanders or Webb).

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Don't forget Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace in the 40s.

Grant always has class!   (but to me the best type of actor to play a theater critic is either Sanders or Webb).

14 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Then of course, there's George Sanders in All About Eve.

Thursday, October 31

Not very inspiring I’m afraid.

tumblr_ouc57mejxg1sndzdgo1_400.jpg

1 p.m.  From Beyond the Grave (1973).  This British anthology horror film has been on before but I have yet to see it.  It is replaced in Canada by Frankenstein Created Woman (1967).

1 minute ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, October 31

Not very inspiring I’m afraid.

1 p.m.  From Beyond the Grave (1973).  This British anthology horror film has been on before but I have yet to see it.  It is replaced in Canada by Frankenstein Created Woman (1967).

well, for once, I think CANADA comes out ahead.

I was just thinking this morning how most of the HAMMER FRANKENSTEINS (besides the first one) NEVER play on TCM.

Or am I wrong?

• Like 1

I apologize, but I am just quite uninspired by a majority of the (Count Floyd Voice) Scaaaaaareeeeey moooovies playing for HALLOWEEN this particular year on TCM.

ALTHOUGH TO BE FAIR, I know a lot of the UNIVERSALS are likely off limits.

But eh...

some suggestions for next year (in the spirit of being constructive)

WITCHFINDER GENERAL (1968), THE MONSTER CLUB (1980), SCARS OF DRACULA (1970) (they showed it before, to little response, but I would LOVE an ENCORE!) that third HAMMER FRANKENSTEIN MOVIE where UNIVERSAL kinda allowed them to copy their designs- I've only seen it cropped on youtube...TARGETS (1968)....

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm sick of every channel feeling the need because Halloween is coming that it's their obligation to throw on any and every worn out horror flick, good, bad. clever or just plain stupid. And as after a certain point in history every movie made in this genre are heavily competing for the "most mediocre" title, it gets nerve-wracking.  I can't WAIT for October to end.  :angry:\

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I usually skip all the Halloween schlock on TV and make my own programming.  I do however still have a bunch of Vincent Price movies from last year on my DVR, so those may possibly be watched... 

I just got my annual viewing of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown out of the way last night. 

Tomorrow, I'll probably choose something out of the following:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 

Bell, Book and Candle

This Old Dark House

House on Haunted Hill

Cat People

Imbarco a Mezzanotte aka Stranger on the Prowl (1952), a Paul Muni film that I had never heard of WAS originally on the schedule for 8 p.m. but it has been replaced by Angel on My Shoulder (1946).

*That* hurts (although I'm sure rights issues are involved). Joseph Losey directed it (under a pseudonym) while he was in Europe because of the blacklist, and I was hoping to catch it.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

well, for once, I think CANADA comes out ahead.

I was just thinking this morning how most of the HAMMER FRANKENSTEINS (besides the first one) NEVER play on TCM.

Or am I wrong?

Frankenstein Created Women seems to be on a lot for some reason.

Friday, November 1

Dennis Miller sure knows how to pick them: Duck Soup (1933); Dr. Strangelove (1964) and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948).

but I will go will this women in prison with a sadistic warden film:

tumblr_ognx8c68we1qg8qoro1_500.png

3:45 a.m.  Women’s Prison (1955).  With Ida Lupino.  Boy are those gals in prison glamorous!

And what is Best of Private Screenings (2019) on at 1 a.m.?

• Like 2

Thanks for the update! I missed Women's Prison the last time. Cant wait to see it! (I'll have to record it)

Saturday, November 2

ghosks-is-the-bunk-1.png

10 a.m.  Popeye: Ghosk Is the Bunk (1939).   Hey Fedya, this one said 1933 too!

phantoms-inc-1945-E5N3GP.jpg

11:30 a.m.  Phantoms, Inc. (1945).  Short subject starring Arthur Shields.

Roseanna-Mccoy-1949-with-Farley-Granger-

10 p.m.  Roseanna McCoy (1949).  Farley Granger in the Hatfield-McCoy story.

Sunday, November 3

image-w1280.jpg?1445918521

2:30 a.m.  Capricious Summer (1968).  I didn't think this was as good as Jiri Menzel’s Closely Watched Trains (on at 4 a.m.) but it may be worth another shot.

• Thanks 1

I thought Closely Watched Trains was overrated, so Capricious Summer might be more interesting to me.

Sunday, November 3, 10 p.m.

Chinatown (1974)

Chinatown_2407923b.jpg

Been dying to see it but never got around to it, and it has a sweet poster too. There's also The Big Sleep (1946) right before it with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall but they show that more than Chinatown. Either way, a perfect way to end a Sunday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

Sunday, November 3, 10 p.m.

Chinatown (1974)

Chinatown_2407923b.jpg

Been dying to see it but never got around to it, and it has a sweet poster too. There's also The Big Sleep (1946) right before it with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall but they show that more than Chinatown. Either way, a perfect way to end a Sunday.

71dNxjwkeJL._SY445_.jpg

I agree.  I have this one sheet framed on my wall.

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

71dNxjwkeJL._SY445_.jpg

I agree.  I have this one sheet framed on my wall.

The partial image of a woman's face reminds me of one of my favourite covers of detective fiction. Maybe I just want an excuse to post it.

chandler-adams-8-the-lady-in-the-lake.jp

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Bruce Springsteen talking about THE SEARCHERS om right now is my happy place.

2:33 PM · Nov 2, 2019

You bettcha mr6. Watched Bruce and heard his take on The Searchers and A Face In the Crowd. Really enjoyed his sit down with Ben. Loved that he named Night of The Hunter and Out of The Past, The Searchers and A Face In the Crowd among his favorites. He loves classic films. Great to see him on TCM  :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

Bruce Springsteen talking about THE SEARCHERS om right now is my happy place.

2:33 PM · Nov 2, 2019

Thanks for the notice.  I am not an active facebook or twitter follower so this was a complete surprise to me.

Was able to catch the Searchers intro on the WatchTCM West Coast live feed a few minutes ago - will have to wait for the other segments as well.  Perhaps they will put them in the WatchTCM library later.

Monday, November 4

Tribute to Nancy Gates who passed away this March at the age of 93.  I haven’t seen any of these:

Peary-Harold-2.jpg

8 p.m.  The Great Gildersleeve (1942)

9:15 p.m.  Gildersleeve’s Bad Day (1943)

MV5BZTMzN2MzYjgtMWE5OC00ZTQzLTljNTgtOTY5

10:30 p.m.  The Master Race (1944).  Good people on both sides?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1