Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Tuesday, November 5

Bette Davis SOTM

bette-special-agent.jpg

3:30 a.m.  Special Agent (1935).

• Like 2

On 11/2/2019 at 10:14 AM, Ampersand said:

There's also The Big Sleep (1946) right before it with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall but they show that more than Chinatown. Either way, a perfect way to end a Sunday.

Actor EDWARD NORTON( who for obvious reason always conjures an image of ART CARNEY whenever I hear his name  ;) ) helped Alicia present THE BIG SLEEP, and perhaps my respect for Mr. Norton as an actor is why I give a pass to him for pronouncing the word "noir" with two syllables!  ;) ("New-OAR." )

Sepiatone

Wednesday, November 6

Ambersons-ending.jpg

6 a.m.  The Magnificent Ambersons (1942).  Here is an interesting article at one of my favourite web sites on the attempt at reconstructing Welles’ lost cut.  But don’t get your hopes up …     http://www.wellesnet.com/ambersons-reconstruction/

And I'm sure that this will be a treat ....

Image+Makers+Art.jpeg

8 p.m. and midnight.  Image Makers: The Adventures of America's Pioneer Cinematographers (2019).  Kevin Brownlow is in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, November 6

Ambersons-ending.jpg

6 a.m.  The Magnificent Ambersons (1942).  Here is an interesting article at one of my favourite web sites on the attempt at reconstructing Welles’ lost cut.  But don’t get your hopes up …     http://www.wellesnet.com/ambersons-reconstruction/

That article was interesting. I wasn't aware that there was any footage or anything left over of Welles' original cut.  I'm curious about the animation aspect and it sounds like they're going to use sound alike voice actors to restore the original dialogue? I am guessing a copy of the final script must be floating around somewhere for them to be able to know what the dialogue was. 

This could either be very good, or very odd. I am wondering if it'll be like A Star is Born where they insert still photos with the original audio track.  While it's good that they were able to somewhat restore the original film, I find the juxtaposition of film with still photos to be a bit disorienting. 

I really like The Magnificent Ambersons though, I wonder if the general public will get to see the final product.

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

That article was interesting. I wasn't aware that there was any footage or anything left over of Welles' original cut.  I'm curious about the animation aspect and it sounds like they're going to use sound alike voice actors to restore the original dialogue? I am guessing a copy of the final script must be floating around somewhere for them to be able to know what the dialogue was. 

This could either be very good, or very odd. I am wondering if it'll be like A Star is Born where they insert still photos with the original audio track.  While it's good that they were able to somewhat restore the original film, I find the juxtaposition of film with still photos to be a bit disorienting. 

I really like The Magnificent Ambersons though, I wonder if the general public will get to see the final product.

Thanks to Bogie56 for the link.  The article does seem to confirm that RKO had destroyed the original elements from the extended version, so I don't think any of that can be used.  Somewhat reading between the lines, he must have access to a script that actors can read from, some form of a Bernard Hermann score, and photographs from the missing material to make animations from.

Just my opinion, but although such a reconstruction would be interesting to see what Welles was thinking, the viewing experience of the final product would be very unusual to say the least.

• Like 2

Would love to see the finished version (if it ever comes to fruition) With 40 minutes cut, it would be a quite different film.

22 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Would love to see the finished version (if it ever comes to fruition) With 40 minutes cut, it would be a quite different film.

I hope it's just 40 more minutes of Aunt Fanny.  That woman needed a spin-off movie: The Magnificent Aunt Fanny.

• Like 1

Agnes Moorehead's performance is one of the best things I've ever seen captured on film.

I can watch the movie over and over just to see her bang the water heater and say "It's not hot! It's cold! The plumber disconnected it.  I wouldn't mind if they hadn't....I wouldn't mind if it burned me!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2019 at 12:22 PM, speedracer5 said:

220px-This-is-Orson-Welles.jpg

The edition of this book has an afterword written by film critic and Welles aficionado, Jonathan Rosenbaum which has a transcript of the missing last scene with Moorehead and Cotten with some stills as well as a description of the other excised scenes.  I believe that there is an audio recording of that last scene but no picture.

As mentioned in the article on wellesnet, Orson had a work print shipped to him when he was in Rio so he could shadow cut the film with Robert Wise in Hollywood.  I had always wondered if that work print was in some lab in Brazil which is what that author was looking into but he didn't give it much hope.

Thursday, November 7

232658.jpg

midnight  Radio Days (1987).  I know some people who rate this as Woody Allen’s best film.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, November 7

232658.jpg

midnight  Radio Days (1987).  I know some people who rate this as Woody Allen’s best film.

I don’t like WOODY ALLEN, but I do like this film. A lot. 

• Like 1

ANNIE HALL is the only Woody Allen film I truly enjoy, though I have to admit I haven't seen RADIO DAYS. Must check it out one of these days.

Friday, November 8

thebigpicture1.jpg

8 p.m.  The Big Picture (1989).  Do they have b&w projectors any more?  :D

When_You_Grow_Up_1973_03-500x375.jpg

Is the description for this for real? ..

5:30 a.m.  When You Grow Up (1973).  In this short film, children learn about the world of fun that awaits them when they grow up and go to work.:lol:

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2019 at 5:26 AM, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, November 6

Ambersons-ending.jpg

And I'm sure that this will be a treat ....

Image+Makers+Art.jpeg

8 p.m. and midnight.  Image Makers: The Adventures of America's Pioneer Cinematographers (2019).  Kevin Brownlow is in it.

Did anyone watch this? Surprised there's no thread about it. I loved it!

• Thanks 1

One of my favorite James Cagney pre-Codes, in which he plays a gangster who becomes a journalist. A Depression fantasia built around the infamous real-life Daily News photo of convicted murderer Ruth Snyder in Sing Sing's electric chair.

=====================================

yeah....... some GREAT Cagney pre-codes today!! :D

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Saturday, November 9

092-006pubeye.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Hello, How Am I? (1939)

journeyt.jpg

9:45 p.m.  Journey to Italy (1954).  A good triple bill would be this and Anna Magnani’s Volcano (1950) followed by The War of the Volcanoes (2012), the documentary about the making of the two dramas and the love triangle of Rossellini, Magnani and Bergman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2019 at 9:51 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

ANNIE HALL is the only Woody Allen film I truly enjoy, though I have to admit I haven't seen RADIO DAYS. Must check it out one of these days.

REALLY AND TRULY, YOU SHOULD. It is in many many many many ways UNLIKE anything else ALLEN has done- and he only narrates it, he does not appear in it.

it also features only one nuerotic female, and it's DIANNE WEIST and there are no subplots about hideous 44 year old men dating 17 year olds. and the soundtrack is GREAT and there's A TON of classic movie, baseball and music references. it's also laugh-out-loud funny at no one's expense. 

it really is kind of a perfect film, and I say this as someone who got tired of WOODROW'S ROUTINE ca. MIGHTY APHRODITE.

12:15 AM, Saturday (Friday night), Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House.  If you have ever built or remodeled a house or plan to, watch this one.  Even if you haven't, it's a good movie.

SPOILER:  I understand the house was actually built in a California state/national forest and is the park HQ now.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 6:51 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Beth, another film you might try is Broadway Danny Rose. Woody Allen plays an agent who represents a lot of lost cause novelty acts. There are lots of good supporting actors, lots of people in small roles who have great faces, not to mention the strange novelty acts. Mia Farrow is also outstanding in an uncharacteristic role for her. This seems to be another favorite of those not necessarily drawn to Woody's movies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

12:15 AM, Saturday (Friday night), Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House.  If you have ever built or remodeled a house or plan to, watch this one.  Even if you haven't, it's a good movie.

SPOILER:  I understand the house was actually built in a California state/national forest and is the park HQ now.

I love this movie.  Myrna Loy's paint monologue is one of my favorite scenes in any film. When we were picking out paint colors for our house, while I didn't have any wallpaper, I still quoted her dialogue from this film.

First, the living room. I want it to be a soft green. Not as blue-green as a robin’s egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodils. Now, the dining room. Not just yellow–something bright and sunshiny. If you send one of your workers to the grocer for a pound of butter and match that, they can’t go wrong.

"If you a'int eatin' Wham, you a'int eatin' ham!" I like to quote this line as well whenever we have ham. 

• Like 2

Anyone seen.......? :unsure:

0 8PM

Big Picture, The ( 1989)

"... stars Kevin Bacon as Nick Chapman, a filmmaking student who wins a student competition that lands him a contract in Hollywood. What happens from there, story-wise, is about what you'd expect: success goes to his head, failure comes knocking, Nick picks himself up and starts anew. But the plot isn't what matters. Oh no. It's the rotating lineup of incredible actors playing every scene they have to perfection. ...

remains one of the best satirical takes on the movie business ever made.......

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/68699/Big-Picture-The/articles.html

Dir Christopher Gues

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I love this movie.  Myrna Loy's paint monologue is one of my favorite scenes in any film. When we were picking out paint colors for our house, while I didn't have any wallpaper, I still quoted her dialogue from this film.

First, the living room. I want it to be a soft green. Not as blue-green as a robin’s egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodils. Now, the dining room. Not just yellow–something bright and sunshiny. If you send one of your workers to the grocer for a pound of butter and match that, they can’t go wrong.

"If you a'int eatin' Wham, you a'int eatin' ham!" I like to quote this line as well whenever we have ham. 

I also love MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE, and the scene with Myrna Loy that you mentioned. 

I also really appreciate Melvyn Douglas as the Blandings' friend and advisor, his biting comments during the proceedings were so hilarious.

• Like 1

Sunday, November 10

merrilywelive.jpeg?w=1360

8:15 a.m.  Merrily We Live (1938).  This was very hard to catch up with for the longest time.  Featuring Billie Burke’s Oscar nominated supporting performance.  Replaced in Canada with Our Betters (1933).