Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

17 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I also love MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE, and the scene with Myrna Loy that you mentioned. 

I also really appreciate Melvyn Douglas as the Blandings' friend and advisor, his biting comments during the proceedings were so hilarious.

I think this was the first movie where I really appreciated Melvyn Douglas, though I had seen him before in other movies.

The paint scene is one that my wife and I use whenever discussing paint colors for rooms and so forth.  Another favorite we use is the cherry [pie] from Body Heat when discussing what to select on a variety of topics.

• Like 1

Monday, November 11

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

5:45 p.m.  Glory (1989).  Good account of the American Civil War and still probably Edward Zwick’s best film.

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, November 11

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

5:45 p.m.  Glory (1989).  Good account of the American Civil War and still probably Edward Zwick’s best film.

The only time that had the two best African-American actors in the same film, Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington.

Great film, but you definitely don't want to be eating during the battle scenes. I learned that the hard way.

• Haha 1

Yep.  It's like that scene in TUCKER: THE MAN AND HIS DREAM in which Tucker shows gruesome and graphic color slides of traffic fatalities while serving his potential clients RARE STEAKS!  :D  And lest any "star struck" eyes forget....

The movie isn't about having "the two best African-American actors" in the cast, but a truth about American history that sadly( and probably not oddly) failed to get mention in American History textbooks for most of 100+ years.  :huh:

Hell, it took JAPANESE-AMERICANS less time to get both mention in textbooks and on film for their contributions during WWII( GO FOR BROKE-- '51).  

Sepiatone

On 11/6/2019 at 11:11 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, November 7

232658.jpg

midnight  Radio Days (1987).  I know some people who rate this as Woody Allen’s best film.

The sense of nostalgia is overwhelming. And there is an extra punch in a voice over comment near movie's end when it is realized that even more time has elapsed since the movie was made. The exact wording and delivery is significant. It turns me into a weeping willie. The effect of this might depend on how old you are (I am not referring to having lived at this time, my own period is subsequent to the time frame of the film).  A very funny movie and with serious poignancy. There are about 10-12 Allen movies that are faves, this one is in the top 3-4 for me and definitely a candidate for the top spot.

Edited by laffite
the parenthetical remark

I know some people( my wife was one) who can't stand WOODY ALLEN movies in which Allen is either the lead, or among the main characters in the movie, but really like most of those which he only wrote and directed.  Like RADIO DAYS. 

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I know some people( my wife was one) who can't stand WOODY ALLEN movies in which Allen is either the lead, or among the main characters in the movie, but really like most of those which he only wrote and directed.  Like RADIO DAYS. 

Sepiatone

But the Radio Days voice over was done by Woody. Would that have passed muster with your wife, I wonder.

• Haha 1

Tuesday, November 12

MV5BMzE3MzlmODUtZDQwZS00YTlkLThkN2MtYWVk

8 p.m.  Jezebel (1938).  Bette Davis is terrific in this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, November 12

I agree, she deserved her Oscar for this.

In some ways Julie was a lot like Scarlett O'Hara, selfish and pouting when she didn't or couldn't get her own way, but also strong and self-sacrificing when she wanted to be.

17 hours ago, laffite said:

But the Radio Days voice over was done by Woody. Would that have passed muster with your wife, I wonder.

It did. But I don't think she recognized his voice.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, November 12

That is one of the GREATEST MOVIE POSTERS OF ALL TIME.

As for the movie, I want to like JEZEBEL, but I cannot, and I have seen and watched it many times.

My personal favorite of the films showing tomorrow would be ALL THIS AND HEAVEN TOO, which airs, I think after 10:00 pm.

allthisandheaventoo.jpg?w=700&h=555

...but it doesn't look like Bette. The eyes are all wrong. Bette's entrance is one of her best. Riding in on her horse. Fay Bainter is very good in this. I love first seeing her when she opens the door. Her eyes cast around so realistically. They should have a chosen a real waltz from somewhere. I think Steiner wrote and at it's awful. Apologies to Max if he is lucky enough not to have written it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, November 12

Apparently Jezebel grew up with these kids:

kN4xoBH.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Wednesday, November 13

It’s difficult to single out any one of today’s films and I’ve seen them all quite a few times now.  I’ll just have to go with my favourite of the bunch…

George_C._Scott.jpeg

10:30 p.m.  Dr. Strangelove (1964).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, laffite said:

...[IN RE: THE POSTER FOR "JEZEBEL"]...but it doesn't look like Bette. The eyes are all wrong. Bette's entrance is one of her best. Riding in on her horse. Fay Bainter is very good in this. I love first seeing her when she opens the door. Her eyes cast around so realistically. They should have a chosen a real waltz from somewhere. I think Steiner wrote and at it's awful. Apologies to Max if he is lucky enough not to have written it.

I guess they didn't have craft-store GOOGLY EYES when JEZ came out.

Maybe if it shows up on demand I'll try re-re-re-re-re-rewatching, but I warn you all, I SERIOUSLY DO NOT LIKE JEZEBEL in spite of being a strong BETTE DAVIS FAN.

And I've never liked it, even when I first saw it sometime between the ages of 12 and 15 when I was first broadening my classic movie horizons and BETTE DAVIS was my second FAVORITE (next to only BELA LUGOSI.)

ps- I've posted this before, but I'll do it again, because it's a hill I will DIE ON.

THIS DRESS IS FUG, THERE IS NO REASON FOR FINGERLESS GLOVES TO EXIST, THAT PENDANT IS FROM THE LILLY MUNSTER SIGNATURE COLLECTION, AND THEY WERE RIGHT TO SHUN YOU FOR WEARING IT.

The hair is also TOO MUCH, but given the DEFCON ONE FASHION DISASTER going on below it, I'll give it a pass.

1-jezebel-bette-davis-1938-everett.jpg

• Haha 1

THANK YOU MADEMOISELLE FOR HELPING ME FINALLY UNDERSTAND TRIGONOMETRY!

(THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIE BLACKBOARDS OF ALL TIME.)

all-this-and-heaven-too-1940-bette-davis-anne-e-todd-virginia-weidler-DANBG5.thumb.jpg.33d50b2b14f55605b3ca443a352a0121.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

all-this-and-heaven-too-1940-bette-davis-anne-e-todd-virginia-weidler-DANBG5.thumb.jpg.33d50b2b14f55605b3ca443a352a0121.jpg

I adore every minute of this film, even if the kid playing Reynard cannot ACT TO SAVE HIS LIFE.

It is SO OLD-FASHIONED, yet unlike JEZEBEL, the HISTORICAL CONTEXT in which it is set is not a strike against it.

I even love BETTE'S PEE WEE HERMAN BOWTIE.

AND THE FACT THAT DOC MEAD IS THE CHATEAU CARETAKER.

And EVERY SECOND of BARBARA O'NEILL's performance.

• Like 1

Yes Barbara was fantastic.  However, were I voting that year I don't know if I would have gone with her, Judith Anderson or Jane Darwell.  Tough call (for me.)

18 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Besides the correct mathematics (which is a rarity in films), more importantly, the drawings on the board (which you can't see in that still) are also consistent with the way trigonometry was taught in the 18th and 19th centuries; thus, the lesson is consistent with the time period in the film. Kudos to whoever wrote the mathematics on the blackboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I guess they didn't have craft-store GOOGLY EYES when JEZ came out.

Maybe if it shows up on demand I'll try re-re-re-re-re-rewatching, but I warn you all, I SERIOUSLY DO NOT LIKE JEZEBEL in spite of being a strong BETTE DAVIS FAN.

And I've never liked it, even when I first saw it sometime between the ages of 12 and 15 when I was first broadening my classic movie horizons and BETTE DAVIS was my second FAVORITE (next to only BELA LUGOSI.)

I feel the exact opposite, I absolutely adore JEZEBEL, and thought Bette more than deserved her Oscar. It's got a great cast, and while it might be similar to GONE WITH THE WIND in some ways, there's enough differences so that it holds its own storywise.

And I honestly don't see what's so wrong about Bette's dress in here, I thought she looked absolutely gorgeous in it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I feel the exact opposite, I absolutely adore JEZEBEL, and thought Bette more than deserved her Oscar.

If she had won for THE SISTERS from the same year, I'd be fine with it.

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

If she had won for THE SISTERS from the same year, I'd be fine with it.

Never heard of that one, and I thought I knew every film Bette ever made.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Never heard of that one, and I thought I knew every film Bette ever made.

it's one of her (and ERROL FLYNN's) lesser-mentioned films, but it deserves to be better known...