Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Recommended Posts

AND NOW I DON'T RECALL WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY.

Oh well, today and tonight are LOADED with some SERIOUS ESSENTIALS- This is the best line-up I can recall on TCM in a long time. 

ps- I stil haven't seen BATTLE OF ALGIERS.

 
 
3:00 PM
 
crime
Breathless (1960)
6:15 PM
drama
 
TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: TCM SPOTLIGHT: TCM SPOTLIGHT: 100TH ANNIVERSARY OF AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CINEMATOGRAPHERS
 
8:00 PM
romance
 
 
12:30 AM
 
epic
Seven Samurai (1956)
 
 
4:15 AM
 
drama
Rashomon (1950)
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Uh,  Bette is star of the month and her films are being shown on Tuesday,  which is today,  and this thread is about films TCMs showed or will show Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow.     (so if Davis is mentioned a lot tomorrow that would be logical at this thread as well since her films would have been shown yesterday).

OK, so I suppose my query should have been about a THE SISTERS appreciation thread, since it seemed to garner more discussion than any Davis movie shown so far or will be shown henceforth.  ;) 

Maybe TCM could have shown it yesterday instead of the insomnia killing IT'S LOVE I'M AFTER, which proved(to me) that regardless of how talented the cast is, it's no guarantee that the movie will be worth your time and effort.  I kept thinking that the three of them( Howard, Davis and de Havilland ) must have lost one big bet!  Or did something to elicit studio "punishment".

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

OK, so I suppose my query should have been about a THE SISTERS appreciation thread, since it seemed to garner more discussion than any Davis movie shown so far or will be shown henceforth.  ;) 

Maybe TCM could have shown it yesterday instead of the insomnia killing IT'S LOVE I'M AFTER, which proved(to me) that regardless of how talented the cast is, it's no guarantee that the movie will be worth your time and effort.  I kept thinking that the three of them( Howard, Davis and de Havilland ) must have lost one big bet!  Or did something to elicit studio "punishment".

Sepiatone

Its Love I'm After is one of my favorite 30s comedy,  right up there with Libeled Lady so as the saying goes, to-each-his-own.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

AND NOW I DON'T RECALL WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY.

Oh well, today and tonight are LOADED with some SERIOUS ESSENTIALS- This is the best line-up I can recall on TCM in a long time. 

ps- I stil haven't seen BATTLE OF ALGIERS.

 
 
3:00 PM
 
crime
Breathless (1960)
6:15 PM
drama
 
TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: TCM SPOTLIGHT: TCM SPOTLIGHT: 100TH ANNIVERSARY OF AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CINEMATOGRAPHERS
 
8:00 PM
romance
 
 
12:30 AM
 
epic
Seven Samurai (1956)
 
 
4:15 AM
 
drama
Rashomon (1950)

:( I don't have TCM :(

Yer right! If this were baseball lineup, it would be called Murderer's Row. I still haven't seen SS. Nor BOA nor BN , for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the Bette Davis film Marked Women (1937) again yesterday.     This was the first film WB made with Bette after her failed attempt to leave the studio and make films in Britain.    Sound story and cast, with co-star Bogie.

Image result for marked womanImage result for marked woman

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Its Love I'm After is one of my favorite 30s comedy,  right up there with Libeled Lady so as the saying goes, to-each-his-own.

 

"It's Love I'm After" is featured in one of my favorite Youtube bits.  So I had to watch it and I really like it, too.

Leslie Howard

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, laffite said:

:( I don't have TCM :(

Yer right! If this were baseball lineup, it would be called Murderer's Row. I still haven't seen SS. Nor BOA nor BN , for that matter.

Oh wow, I REALLY HIGHLY recommend SEVEN SAMURAI- check the library for it and set aside the three hours on a long weekend or something.

It's long and the first 20-30 minutes were a little challenging for me as I am not a foreign film person, but the minute "the old guy" shows up, IT TAKES OFF AND I COULD NOT LOOK AWAY.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It's long and the first 20-30 minutes were a little challenging for me as I am not a foreign film person, but the minute "the old guy" shows up, IT TAKES OFF AND I COULD NOT LOOK AWAY.

Cool. It's nice to know that the old guy gets a place in the sun once in awhile.

:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Watched the Bette Davis film Marked Women (1937) again yesterday.     This was the first film WB made with Bette after her failed attempt to leave the studio and make films in Britain.    Sound story and cast, with co-star Bogie.

Image result for marked womanImage result for marked woman

 

This was a great film.  It's refreshing to see Davis paired up with leading men with strong personalities, like Bogart.  So often she's paired with a George Brent-type.  I liked the evolution of Davis' character in this film.  I also liked that once again, she put her lack of vanity on display in one particularly amazing scene where she looks like absolute hell. 

I recognized the actor playing Johnny Vanning from an episode of "I Love Lucy," he plays Mr. Martinelli, the proprietor of the pizza shop where Lucy Ricardo works in an attempt to earn money for an acquaintance, Mario, whom she and the Mertzes met in Italy. 

I also really liked Isabel Jewell in this film. I thought she did a great job--especially in her climactic scene toward the end of the film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndreaDoria said:

"It's Love I'm After" is featured in one of my favorite Youtube bits.  So I had to watch it and I really like it, too.

Leslie Howard

 

Thanks for posting this Sharp Dressed Man bit with Leslie Howard;   Yea,  It's Love I'm After is featured a lot in the clip.    Loved it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday, November 15

Barbara-Stanwyck-Henry-Fonda-The-Lady-Ev

10:30 p.m.  The Lady Eve (1941).  I saw this in the cinema not long ago and it was great.  Stanwyck and Coburn are hilarious and Fonda works much better on the big screen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, November 15

10:30 p.m.  The Lady Eve (1941).  I saw this in the cinema not long ago and it was great.  Stanwyck and Coburn are hilarious and Fonda works much better on the big screen.

One of my favourite lines of the movies, thanks to Preston Sturges:

"I need him like the axe needs the turkey."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, laffite said:

Cool. It's nice to know that the old guy gets a place in the sun once in awhile.

:)

TAKASHI SHIMURA is the name of the actor IN seven samurai...I was in a rush to get somewhere yesterday and did not get a chance to elaborate- BUT HIS CHARACTER IS FASCINATING, definitely a prototype for the ALEC GUINNESS character in STAR WARS, and his introductory scene (which i will not spoil) is AMAZING.

tumblr_ln6ct1KUd61qlh9eeo1_400.gif

he is the HEART of the movie, TOSHIRO MIFUNE is THE FIRE.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SORRY TO DO THIS AGAIN, but the schedule on FRIDAY is pretty damn good- the original LOVE AFFAIR and the remake of WATERLOO BRIDGE are both pretty much perfect films...and both feature OUSPENSKAYA: THE UNCANNY in brief but memorable roles.

11:00 AM
 
romance
Love Affair (1939)
 
12:45 PM
 
romance
 
2:30 PM
drama
 
3:45 PM
romance
 
6:00 PM
 
drama
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday, November 16

its-the-natural-thing-to-do-c2a9-max-fle

10 a.m.  Popeye: It’s the Natural Thing to Do (1939).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday, November 17/18

sweetie-watching-recommendation-videoSix

2 a.m.  Three Short films by Jane Campion followed by ...

3 a.m.  Sweetie (1989).  Genevieve Lemon is quite good in this.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Watched the Bette Davis film Marked Women (1937) again yesterday.     This was the first film WB made with Bette after her failed attempt to leave the studio and make films in Britain.    Sound story and cast, with co-star Bogie.

Image result for marked womanImage result for marked woman

 

 

Yes, and you get to see the "Battling Bogarts" Bogart and wife-just-prior-to-Lauren Bacall, Mayo Methot, in the same film though I don't think they share any scenes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 2:25 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Oh wow, I REALLY HIGHLY recommend SEVEN SAMURAI- check the library for it and set aside the three hours on a long weekend or something.

My feelings exactly. I drive 90 minutes each way to see this at the Eastman House movie theater. Loved it. Would not have enjoyed it nearly as much at home, distracted by phone calls, waiting chores.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lydecker said:

Yes, and you get to see the "Battling Bogarts" Bogart and wife-just-prior-to-Lauren Bacall, Mayo Methot, in the same film though I don't think they share any scenes.

They share one scene and that is after Bette's sister is killed and Bogie goes to the gals' apartment to interview them and they pull a Sargent Schultz.     But they don't exchange dialog in the scene.      

Methot wasn't in many high quality films, the exception being Mr. Deeds Goes to Town as the knuckle cracker wife of a nose twitchier.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

They share one scene and that is after Bette's sister is killed and Bogie goes to the gals' apartment to interview them and they pull a Sargent Schultz.     But they don't exchange dialog in the scene.      

Methot wasn't in many high quality films, the exception being Mr. Deeds Goes to Town as the knuckle cracker wife of a nose twitchier.

Mayo Methot also appears in The Sisters with Errol Flynn and Bette Davis.  She's the really brassy woman at the boxing match who is WAY into the action--more so than Davis who looked completely repulsed by the proceedings.  

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mayo Methot was also in Jimmy the Gent which I literally just watched a couple weeks ago.  I don't remember her from the film. 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Mayo Methot was also in Jimmy the Gent which I literally just watched a couple weeks ago.  I don't remember her from the film. 

 

Correct and I consider both Jimmy the Gent and The Sister "high quality films":   I didn't mention them since her part was so small (but I guess one can say the same about her role in Mr. Deeds).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...