Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Monday, November 18/19

rAKQ8oGh2ekRhdwFvXgoWkeFsbT.jpg

4:15 a.m.  Sword of Sherwood Forest (1960).  Good cast with Richard Greene, Peter Cushing, Niall MacGinnis and an uncredited Oliver Reed!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Mayo Methot also appears in The Sisters with Errol Flynn and Bette Davis.  She's the really brassy woman at the boxing match who is WAY into the action--more so than Davis who looked completely repulsed by the proceedings.  

AND THE THREAD COMES FULL CIRCLE!!!!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, November 18/19

rAKQ8oGh2ekRhdwFvXgoWkeFsbT.jpg

4:15 a.m.  Sword of Sherwood Forest (1960).  Good cast with Richard Greene, Peter Cushing, Niall MacGinnis and an uncredited Oliver Reed!

And why NOT?  I usually never give Oliver Reed much credit for much of anything either.  ;) 

Sepiatone

17 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And why NOT?  I usually never give Oliver Reed much credit for much of anything either.  ;) 

Sepiatone

If you see his early work in Great Britain you may feel differently.  While they may not be great films, Reed is magnetic.  For one, he was one of the greatest technical actors of his generation.  His ability to re-record his performance in the studio was phenomenal.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

AND THE THREAD COMES FULL CIRCLE!!!!

The six degrees of “The Sisters.”

• Haha 2

Just now, Bogie56 said:

If you see his early work in Great Britain you may feel differently.  While they may not be great films, Reed is magnetic.  For one, he was one of the greatest technical actors of his generation.  His ability to re-record his performance in the studio was phenomenal.

Ach.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sepiatone

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Ach.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sepiatone

Sure.  But most of his "teddy-boy" films are not shown in North America.

8 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Sure.  But most of his "teddy-boy" films are not shown in North America.

I find OLIVER REED to be incredibly attractive, like absolute MOVIE STAR material- and it stuns me that HIS UNCLE, SIR CAROL, did not initially want to cast him in OLIVER! because- to Hell with Nepotism- once you see THAT MUG on the screen, you see a STAR being born.

He is also AMAZING in THE DEVILS (1971).

4 PM, Sunday, Nov 17;  Boys Night Out.  James Garner, Kim Novak, Tony Randall and other good actors in a very good romantic comedy from the 60's.  One of the best in my opinion.  OK, yes the plot is silly, but it's a rom-com.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I find OLIVER REED to be incredibly attractive, like absolute MOVIE STAR material- and it stuns me that HIS UNCLE, SIR CAROL, did not initially want to cast him in OLIVER! because- to Hell with Nepotism- once you see THAT MUG on the screen, you see a STAR being born.

He is also AMAZING in THE DEVILS (1971).

Oliver Reed once wore Errol Flynn’s shirt from “The Prince and the Pauper” (not sure for a film? He just got a hold of the shirt somehow?) and was shocked to discover that Flynn’s shirt was too big for him. 

Errol Flynn starred in... you guessed it... “The Sisters.”

18 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Oliver Reed once wore Errol Flynn’s shirt from “The Prince and the Pauper” (not sure for a film? He just got a hold of the shirt somehow?) and was shocked to discover that Flynn’s shirt was too big for him. 

Errol Flynn starred in... you guessed it... “The Sisters.”

DONALD CRISP, I am pretty sure, was also in THE SISTERS and he appeared in like 125 movies between 1938 and 1941 (give or take), so you can just KEVIN BACON the hell out of the movie from his presence alone.

edit- holy Christmas! I just imdb'd him and he was in something like 26 movies FROM 1938-1941, WHICH IS STILL A WHOLE DAMN LOT.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DONALD CRISP, I am pretty sure, was also in THE SISTERS and he appeared in like 125 movies between 1938 and 1941 (give or take), so you can just KEVIN BACON the hell out of the movie from his presence alone.

edit- holy Christmas! I just imdb'd him and he was in something like 26 movies FROM 1938-1941, WHICH IS STILL A WHOLE DAMN LOT.

I agree with this! Donald Crisp is in everything! Lee Patrick is seemingly in everything too, and she’s also in this film. 

• Thanks 1

I have always enjoyed Donald Crisp in everything he's been in (even in films unworthy of his talent).

It does seem like he was in almost every movie from the mid 30's to the mid 40's.

I always felt his best role was as the matriarch of the Brown clan in NATIONAL VELVET. But he made every movie he was in that much more special

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I agree with this! Donald Crisp is in everything! Lee Patrick is seemingly in everything too, and she’s also in this film. 

He also directed a large number of silent films.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of Errol Flynn . . .

Monday, November 18 10:15pm (EST)

Adventures of Don Juan (1948)

The last of the great Flynn star vehicles, this handsome swashbuckler, with terrific sets and costumes and noteworthy Technicolor, further benefits from a witty, at times tongue-in-cheek screenplay. Flynn, perhaps a bit past his prime, is still in great swashbuckling form, with some delicious dialogue. ("There's a little bit of Don Juan in every man and, since I am Don Juan, there must be more of him in me.").

Viveca Lindfors, Alan Hale and Robert Douglas co-star under Vincent Sherman's direction, and there will be an exciting duel on a giant staircase. One more thing. This film has one of the great Max Steiner musical scores.

c6d0a872da1f5ad5ba60de8572811022.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Speaking of Errol Flynn . . .

Monday, November 18 10:15pm (EST)

Adventures of Don Juan (1948)

The last of the great Flynn star vehicles, this handsome swashbuckler, with terrific sets and costumes and noteworthy Technicolor, further benefits from a witty, at times tongue-in-cheek screenplay. Flynn, perhaps a bit past his prime, is still in great swashbuckling form, with some delicious dialogue. ("There's a little bit of Don Juan in every man and, since I am Don Juan, there must be more of him in me.").

Viveca Lindfors, Alan Hale and Robert Douglas co-star under Vincent Sherman's direction, and there will be an exciting duel on a giant staircase. One more thing. This film has one of the great Max Steiner musical scores.

c6d0a872da1f5ad5ba60de8572811022.jpg

Looking forward to it. Yes Errol was starting to go downhill, but he was still agile enough at this time to pull off another great swashbuckling performance.

• Like 1

Tuesday, November 19

Bette Davis day.

6-bette-davis-in-the-little-foxes-1941--

10 a.m.  The Little Foxes (1941).  When she’s bad, she’s good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, November 19

Bette Davis day.

Love, love, LOVE this movie. Bette at her most evil best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, November 19

Bette Davis day.

It's interesting to see Ann Blyth (very good in the role) as the young conniving Regina in the 1948 prequel, Another Part of the Forest.

• Like 2

It's interesting to see Ann Blyth (very good in the role) as the young conniving Regina in the 1948 prequel, Another Part of the Forest.

Agreed! Another Part of the Forest was a great film.  I watched it as part of my Edmond O'Brien kick a few months ago.  I thought O'Brien was excellent in his rather villainous role.  Dan Duryea's character, while not great, was actually not the worst person in the movie.  O'Brien and Blyth were my favorite characters.  I hope that TCM airs this again soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

Agreed! Another Part of the Forest was a great film.  I watched it as part of my Edmond O'Brien kick a few months ago.  I thought O'Brien was excellent in his rather villainous role.  Dan Duryea's character, while not great, was actually not the worst person in the movie.  O'Brien and Blyth were my favorite characters.  I hope that TCM airs this again soon. 

Yes, it's a fine film with really solid work by the entire cast. I thought Blyth at least equalled, if not surpassed, her work in Mildred Pierce in this film. By the way, at age 91, she is the one cast member still with us today. It would be lovely for TCM to have a SOTM tribute to the lady while she's still here. I don't know if an interview is still possible with Ann Blyth but it would be a real coup for the channel if they could nab some memories from the actress of her impressive career. She worked with a lot of major players in her time, Crawford, Fredric March, Ty Power, Gregory Peck, Bing Crosby, among others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it's a fine film with really solid work by the entire cast. I thought Blyth at least equalled, if not surpassed, her work in Mildred Pierce in this film. By the way, at age 91, she is the one cast member still with us today. It would be lovely for TCM to have a SOTM tribute to the lady while she's still here. I don't know if an interview is still possible with Ann Blyth but it would be a real coup for the channel if they could nab some memories from the actress of her impressive career. She worked with a lot of major players in her time, Crawford, Fredric March, Ty Power, Gregory Peck, Bing Crosby, among others.

I would love a SOTM tribute to Ann Blyth.  She's my favorite character from Mildred Pierce.  She's also one of the actors whose name in the credits will attract me to the film.  I would love to hear her recollections about slapping Joan Crawford. While I know she left her career for her family, I wish she'd continued her career past the late 50s. I also loved Ann Blyth in Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid with William Powell. 

ANN BLYTH SOTM in 2020!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I would love a SOTM tribute to Ann Blyth.  She's my favorite character from Mildred Pierce.  She's also one of the actors whose name in the credits will attract me to the film.  I would love to hear her recollections about slapping Joan Crawford. While I know she left her career for her family, I wish she'd continued her career past the late 50s. I also loved Ann Blyth in Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid with William Powell. 

ANN BLYTH SOTM in 2020!

There are so few stars of the Golden Age still with us. I think TCM should place an emphasis upon them when it comes to SOTM considerations, possibly even with their input. Ann Blyth certainly had a noteworthy career. There is also, of course, Kirk Douglas, who will turn 103 next month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TomJH said:

There are so few stars of the Golden Age still with us. I think TCM should place an emphasis upon them when it comes to SOTM considerations, possibly even with their input.

I agree completely with this. I would love to see another interview with Mitzi Gaynor and more of her 60s/70s TV specials.

I really want to see Rhonda Fleming's Slightly Scarlet

• Like 1