Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I'll be honest, I think DALLAS was the only thing I ever saw Jim Davis in, I didn't even know he had a movie career until I saw the E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY about the series.

I remember when the coffee creamer COFFEE MATE first came on the market, Jim Davis was in the first couple of commercials for it. Many of us recognized him from his many various roles on TV westerns over the years. 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now, (11:15 am) I'm enjoying my first viewing of PARIS, TEXAS in many moons.  Harry Dean Stanton was long one of my favorite character actors, and surely did have the chops to handle a lead role.

And this talk of horses reminded me of a line from GRACIE ALLEN on an old rerun of "The Burns and Allen Show"---

"A man like that deserves to be horsewhipped!  And if I had a horse, I'd do it!"    :D

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 6:14 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

I'll be honest, I think DALLAS was the only thing I ever saw Jim Davis in, I didn't even know he had a movie career until I saw the E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY about the series.

Actually, there was one little irony near the end of his life. The same year that he started Dallas (1978), he appeared in the film Comes a Horseman as the henchman of an odious, greedy, murderous oilman played by Jason Robards. The name of the oilman in the movie. Ewing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday, December 1/2

Well, cut me liver ...

scrooge-1951.jpg

8 p.m.  A Christmas Carol (1951).  I’ve seen this film more than any other.  Love it!  Replaced in Canada with Executive Suite (1954).

 

Lipstein-REC-LifeIsSweet.jpg

3:45 a.m.  Life Is Sweet (1990).  Mike Leigh kitchen sink drama with Alison Steadman and Timothy Spall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, December 1/2

Well, cut me liver ...

scrooge-1951.jpg

8 p.m.  A Christmas Carol (1951).  I’ve seen this film more than any other.  Love it!  Replaced in Canada with Executive Suite (1954).

 

Really?!?   I'd call whomever is in charge of Canadian scheduling and yell; "Wal-KER!" (what the boy calls Scrooge when it's suggested by Ebenezer he go buy the prize turkey  ;) ) 

But I'm betting you have a copy on disc or some other medium and won't let the season go by without at least a couple of viewings.  If you do, then you'd better "nip along smartly" ;) and slide it in.

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Really?!?   I'd call whomever is in charge of Canadian scheduling and yell; "Wal-KER!" (what the boy calls Scrooge when it's suggested by Ebenezer he go buy the prize turkey  ;) ) 

But I'm betting you have a copy on disc or some other medium and won't let the season go by without at least a couple of viewings.  If you do, then you'd better "nip along smartly" ;) and slide it in.

Sepiatone

Yes, I have a very good dvd copy that gets played Christmas Eve each year.

51RP2NPC9ZL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday, December 2

Back-to-back originals and remakes.  I’ll go with these two …

sea-hawk-1924-silent-movie-review-34.jpg

2:45 a.m.  The Sea Hawk (1924).  With Milton Stills.  This is replaced in Canada with Mutiny of the Bounty (1935).

maxresdefault.jpg

5 a.m.  The Sea Hawk (1940).  With Errol Flynn.

Edited by Bogie56
corrected with thanks per scsu1975
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

Just a slight correction - the star is Milton Sills.

It's too bad it couldn't have been Douglas Fairbanks. It would have brought a little more life to the film.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 5:37 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, December 1/2

Well, cut me liver ...

scrooge-1951.jpg

8 p.m.  A Christmas Carol (1951).  I’ve seen this film more than any other.  Love it!  Replaced in Canada with Executive Suite (1954).

 

Lipstein-REC-LifeIsSweet.jpg

3:45 a.m.  Life Is Sweet (1990).  Mike Leigh kitchen sink drama with Alison Steadman and Timothy Spall.

Wow, fashionistas and design mavens will have to check this one out! Or not.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday, December 3

My original pick of the day from the schedule when it was announced was The Defector (1966) playing at 12:45 p.m.  It starred Montgomery Clift and Hardy Kruger.  That has now been replaced by Battle Circus (1953).

So I'll go with ...

Frank-Worth-James-Dean-with-Elizabeth-Ta

4:40 p.m.  Giant (1956).

Link to post
Share on other sites

(early alert here, but i'm excited)

10:15 pm, DECEMBER 8, 2019: THE HOLLY AND THE IVY (1952)- which I saw last year.

Here is my (mercifully abridged) review from December 26th:

I just watched THE HOLLY AMD [sic] THE IVY (UK 1952) on TCM ON HULU...... the story of a widowed Irish [Episcopal]clergyman (RALPH RICHARDSON near unrecognizable in a masterful performance).... It’s Christmas and his [various] wayward children come home for the holiday/

This is a very very British production, but at the same time they reference all three of the main island nationalities – there are Irish characters, English characters, and even a Scotsman. 

This was a deep, well thought out movie and one that takes a  hard look at just what it means when people move away from religion and what they lose out on when they do, The crux of the movie being that the Reverand's three children are completely unable to talk to him openly about the serious problems in their lives because he is a pastor and a religious man and they don't want a sermon as well as feeling ashamed to confess their sins to him.

 

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

This is a very very British production, but at the same time they reference all three of the main island nationalities – there are Irish characters, English characters, and even a Scotsman. 

No love for the Welsh?

tumblr_nb0re3UTy61r8bxs1o1_500.gifv

500full.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

My original pick of the day from the schedule when it was announced was The Defector (1966) playing at 12:45 p.m.  It starred Montgomery Clift and Hardy Kruger.  That has now been replaced by Battle Circus (1953).

Battle Circus is not a very good Bogie film,  as well as starring June Allyson,,,, my least favorite actress of the golden era. 

BUT those that love the T.V. Series MASH might finds something interesting in the film. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Battle Circus is not a very good Bogie film,  as well as starring June Allyson,,,, my least favorite actress of the golden era. 

BUT those that love the T.V. Series MASH might finds something interesting in the film. 

I agree about Battle Circus.  I thought Bogart was too old for June Allyson, whom Im not fond of either.  But weird as he comes off as too old in this film but in real life was married to the dish, Lauren Bacall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:
 
As an amateur piano player I’m so happy to be co-hosting with the fabulous entertainer Michael Feinstein on

 

. Catch us tomorrow (Tuesday, Dec. 3) starting at 8ET/5PT

as we take you through the life and career of the brilliant musician, actor, and wordsmith Oscar Levant.

don't see on schedules, but there's this PREMIERE..........

* Dec 3 - Close-Up: Oscar Levant Interview (1958) (short)   (10:15 pm ET, 15m)

:unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

don't see on schedules, but there's this PREMIERE..........

* Dec 3 - Close-Up: Oscar Levant Interview (1958) (short)   (10:15 pm ET, 15m)

:unsure:

Although TCM is currently not listing this program on their web site, some of the online TV services are showing it in the window from 10:15 pm - 10:45 pm ET on Tuesday.  If setting a recording, probably best to include the entire 30 minutes to be sure.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...