Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, December 4

MV5BOWI0YWEwNGYtYzI2OC00YmM4LWFiMzMtNzQ2

10:15 a.m.  The Prodigal (1931).  With Lawrence Tibbett.  Apparently full of racial stereotypes.

Tibbett claimed he broke into films because of his resemblance to Charles Ray (I don't see it myself). A Los Angeles theater showed prologues before a Ray film, and Tibbett was hired to act in the sketches. He credited his voice coach, future actor Basil Ruysdael, with turning his singing career around. "I was just a hammy singer and didn't know it," said Tibbett. "In five minutes, Ruysdael changed my entire point of view toward music. The sham and the strut I thought were necessary were wiped out. It was a tremendous relief to learn that it was all right for a singer to be himself." Tibbett also claimed that the extra "t" at the end of his name was due to a printing error on a Metropolitan Opera program, and he just adopted it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was up late last night (early this morning) and noticed TCM was showing the 1940 version of The Sea Hawk, as part of their Remakes special theme.  Boy did the print that TCM presented of The Sea Hawk look fabulous.  With some research I see that Warners released an Archive Edition of The Sea Hawk on Blu-Ray late last year, so that may be the version they are showing.  I had not noticed this before, but in the middle of what is normally a black & white film is an amber-tinted section when the crew reaches the southern climes of the equator.

Thanks to TCM for showing this film in all its glory.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Tibbett claimed he broke into films because of his resemblance to Charles Ray (I don't see it myself).

For what it's worth. Tibbett sang a mean version of "Hit the Road Jack".

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I had not noticed this before, but in the middle of what is normally a black & white film is an amber-tinted section when the crew reaches the southern climes of the equator.

That tinting is on the DVD I have (the one that's part of this Errol Flynn box set).

• Thanks 1

Friday, December 6

For me this is the most interesting thing that has been on in months.

promotional-portrait-of-welsh-actor-rich

8 p.m.  The Dupont Show of the Month: Wuthering Heights (1958).  With Richard Burton, John Colicos, Patty Duke, Denholm Elliott, Robert Flemying, Rosemary Harris, Bernard Miles and Cathleen Nesbitt.  Wow.  I hope the quality is half decent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, December 6

For me this is the most interesting thing that has been on in months.

promotional-portrait-of-welsh-actor-rich

8 p.m.  The Dupont Show of the Month: Wuthering Heights (1958).  With Richard Burton, John Colicos, Patty Duke, Denholm Elliott, Robert Flemying, Rosemary Harris, Bernard Miles and Cathleen Nesbitt.  Wow.  I hope the quality is half decent.

so PATTY DUKE was about 10 when she did this? I wonder if DENHOLM ELLIOT is the WORTHLESS BROTHER or the LINTON role, either way I bet he's great.

hope the quality is good too, but TV was not made with preservation in mind in those days...

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

so PATTY DUKE was about 10 when she did this? I wonder if DENHOLM ELLIOT is the WORTHLESS BROTHER or the LINTON role, either way I bet he's great.

hope the quality is good too, but TV was not made with preservation in mind in those days...

Who is Cathy? Rosemary Harris?

Saturday, December 7

7.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Females Is Fickle (1940).

MV5BNGNkOWNmNDAtOGJjZi00YWY5LTliMWEtNzA2

10:07 a.m.   Looking For Danger (1957).  Long-in-the-tooth Bowery Boys and Stanley Clements.  Oh, and Arabs and Nazis too.

20 hours ago, Hibi said:

Cast

Episode credited cast:
Richard Burton Richard Burton ... Heathcliff
John Colicos John Colicos ... Hindley
Patty Duke Patty Duke ... Young Cathy
Denholm Elliott Denholm Elliott ... Edgar Norton
Robert Flemyng Robert Flemyng ... Dr. Kenneth
Yvonne Furneaux Yvonne Furneaux ... Cathy
Rosemary Harris Rosemary Harris ... Catherine Earnshaw
Barry Jones Barry Jones ... Mr. Earnshaw
Bernard Miles Bernard Miles ... Joseph
Cathleen Nesbitt Cathleen Nesbitt ... Ellen
Michel Ray Michel Ray ... Young Heathcliff
50 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Cast

Episode credited cast:
Richard Burton Richard Burton ... Heathcliff
John Colicos John Colicos ... Hindley
Patty Duke Patty Duke ... Young Cathy
Denholm Elliott Denholm Elliott ... Edgar Norton
Robert Flemyng Robert Flemyng ... Dr. Kenneth
Yvonne Furneaux Yvonne Furneaux ... Cathy
Rosemary Harris Rosemary Harris ... Catherine Earnshaw
Barry Jones Barry Jones ... Mr. Earnshaw
Bernard Miles Bernard Miles ... Joseph
Cathleen Nesbitt Cathleen Nesbitt ... Ellen
Michel Ray Michel Ray ... Young Heathcliff

Thanks for the cast list!

52 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YVONNE FURNEAUX (of BRIDES OF DRACULA fame, I think) is also credited as CATHY...maybe the daughter of CATHY 1- played by HARRIS?

Maybe this version is more faithful to the novel...

I doubt it. Doesnt look like they are including the 2nd generation (aside from Cathy's daughter, probably a bit part). Also the running time is only 89 mins. I don't see Isabella listed at all!

On 12/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, Hibi said:

TCM Turns Its Attention to Classic Television Again, Brilliantly -

"........Klain explained to me that Rosemary Harris was offered the DuPont Show of the Month role of the adult Cathy at the start, but passed on the opportunity because she already was in rehearsals for another live TV production, the George Schaefer-directed Dial M for Murder). Harris recommended Yvonne Furneaux for the role instead – but when Susskind became so disenchanted with Furneaux, he fired her, so late into production that the “Close-Up” description in that week’s TV Guide still credited her as the leading lady.

Instead, Susskind, according to Klain, went back to Harris, said she was responsible for his current dilemma, and insisted on her playing the part opposite Burton. She did so – even though, in some of the scenes, she kept her script just out of camera view to check on her lines.

Regardless of the behind-the-scenes drama, the on-the-screen drama is something to watch – and this is the first time since the Eisenhower administration to do so........

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/post/TCM-Turns-Its-Attention-to-Classic-Television-Again-Brilliantly.aspx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just looked at the beginning of Wuthering Heights last night (will watch later when I’m not so tired), and was wondering about the fact they said this was live TV.  But the beginning had many of the same wind and snow effects as the film.  And I noticed several scene changes later as well.

- Could they have filmed different scenes prior to air and then broadcast them during the show?
 - And/or were some of the scene changes done during commercials which are now edited out?

The ability to present dramas on live TV with this level of sophistication by the actors and crew amazes me.

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, December 9

p11841_i_h12_ab.jpg?d=270x360&q=20

11:45 a.m.  Gigi (1948).  The original from France with a young Philippe Noiret.  Replaced in Canada with Chandler (1971) .

This movie is a frustration due to a severe white-on-white subtitle scheme. I remember whole swaths of dialogue hopelessly undecipherable. Maybe this has been corrected. I hope.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, December 9

p11841_i_h12_ab.jpg?d=270x360&q=20

11:45 a.m.  Gigi (1948).  The original from France with a young Philippe Noiret.  Replaced in Canada with Chandler (1971) .

I'am not a happy camper,i was looking for this,they also put on Christmas in Connecticut at 10.15

TURN BACK THE CLOCK 1933

It played earlier this week,i recorded it for Mae Clarke,i was pleasantly surprised as I did not know anything of this movie,must have been the 'inspiration' for Back to the Future 50 years later. Ben Hecht co-wrote the screenplay.7.5/10

turn back.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1