Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Should've brought your autograph book with you! :D

I had never asked anyone for an autograph and as I said I don't think he had ever been asked.  I guess I had never met anyone in show biz.  :lol:  Just to make it even more pathetic it was a darkish brown paper bag so it was hard to see the writing!

Thursday, December 19/20

bullets-or-ballots-photo-USok.jpg

12:15 a.m.  Bullets or Ballots (1936).  Not a great film but what a cast!  Blondell, Robinson, Bogart, and Barton MacLane.

• Like 1

Friday, December 20

bus+riley01.jpg

12:30 p.m.  Bus Riley’s Back In Town (1965).  With Ann Marg-rock and Michael Parks.

Saturday, December 21

7.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Me Feelins Is Hurt (1940).

28057-pc.jpg

2 a.m.  An Angel at My Table (1982).  Brilliant film from New Zealand by Jane Campion with great performances by Kerry Fox and Alexia Keogh

Sunday, December 22/23

MV5BMjI3NzY5NTQ5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODc5

4:15 p.m.  The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965).  Versatile Max von Sydow makes one of the better Jesus Christs.  Where is Max's lifetime achievement Oscar?  What a disgrace.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2019 at 4:58 AM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, December 21

28057-pc.jpg

2 a.m.  An Angel at My Table (1982).  Brilliant film from New Zealand by Jane Campion with great performances by Kerry Fox and Alexia Keogh

This looks like 4 generations of people who portrayed "Annie".  😉

• Haha 2

And I notice today TCM is giving us "back-to-back" looks at two different takes on the same story----

FRONT PAGE('31) at noon followed by HIS GIRL FRIDAY ('40) at 2:00 pm   EST.

Might take 'em both in, not sure at this point...  Still got some shopping to do and today is supposd to be the busiest day.  I'm guessing tomorrow won't be any less busy.  :blink:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Monday, December 23

jeanne-eagels-the-letter.jpg

6 a.m.  The Letter (1929).  With Jeanne Eagles who was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar.  Replaced in Canada with A Letter For Evie (1945).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, December 23

jeanne-eagels-the-letter.jpg

6 a.m.  The Letter (1929).  With Jeanne Eagles who was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar.  Replaced in Canada with A Letter For Evie (1945).

I found Eagles'  performance incredibly hammy and disappointing. Even Herbert Marshall, whom I like, was over the top in this one

Next On TCM

@NextOnTCM

·

Bowie Alert David Bowie stars as a P.O.W. in a Japanese prison camp in

MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. LAWRENCE (1983) at 3:00 AM ET on

@TCM  Imports,......

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/83343/Merry-Christmas-Mr-Lawrence/articles.html

"....... From the great performances to the spiritual and cultural themes, from the direction to the music, there is a lot more to recommend with this film than most others. It's too bad it has taken so long for everyone to catch on. "

• Like 1

Tuesday, December 24/25

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ...

x1080

5:30 a.m.  The Great Rupert (1950).  I thought this one was pretty funny.  The sillier it went, the funnier it got.   It certainly exceeded my expectations. With Jimmy Durante.

• Like 1

Wednesday, December 25/26

2xzwyXRkAxmrE66gq1AhhKh4whB.jpg

3 a.m.  Umberto D (1952).  Another triumph for Vittorio De Sica.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, December 26

723fcb34c5d31f7f37036514846bf81e.jpg

4:30 p.m.  Young Catherine (1991).  With Julia Ormand as Catherine the Great.  Looks like this was a TV MOW.  Replaced in Canada with the Peter Fonda film, The Young Lovers (1964).

• Thanks 1

Joan Blondell night includes a film I've never seen, Advance to the Rear, which has a score by Randy Sparks of the New Christy Minstrels that is much better known than the film. "Today," which was a big hit for the New Christy Minstrels, is part of the score. The film has a very low rating on imdb, for what that's worth.

The Opposite Sex is fun for all the stars it includes like Joan Blondell, Joan Collins, Ann Sheridan, Ann Miller, and Agnes Moorehead.

1 hour ago, kingrat said:

The Opposite Sex is fun for all the stars it includes like Joan Blondell, Joan Collins, Ann Sheridan, Ann Miller, and Agnes Moorehead.

hqdefault.jpg

"You left me out. I feel like Donald Trump at the G7."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kingrat said:

Joan Blondell night includes a film I've never seen, Advance to the Rear, which has a score by Randy Sparks of the New Christy Minstrels that is much better known than the film. "Today," which was a big hit for the New Christy Minstrels, is part of the score. The film has a very low rating on imdb, for what that's worth.

It is funny that the star of The Opposite Sex,  June Allyson,   was left out.       While I have seen the film once,   Allyson was so unappealing and off-putting that one can understand why her husband strayed.        While I don't consider Norma Shearer to be a "great" actress,   at least in The Women,   one has empathy towards the character:  one feels her pain.     Instead in the hands of Allyson the character just comes of as a pain.

PS:  This is also the case with Allyson's remake of It Happened One Night with Jack Lemmon:  You Can't Run Away from It,  made the same year,   1956.  

10 hours ago, TomJH said:

hqdefault.jpg

"You left me out. I feel like Donald Trump at the G7."

Tom, I really feel bad that I left out Dolores Gray. Too bad she didn't make more movies. On the other hand,  Ms. Allyson doesn't have the greatest number of admirers around here. The picture you posted above proves one point: June has rarely looked less attractive than in the first half of this movie. The hair and makeup are anything but flattering. One can understand why her hubby might be tempted by Joan Collins. For June at her best, both  looks and performance, I would recommend High Barbaree.

Friday, December 27

Is TCM trying to show some balance this Christmas season?

wtf_satanis-1280x720.jpg

2 a.m.  Satanis, the Devil’s Mass (1970).  Documentary about the Church of Satan.  Does this church get tax relief?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, December 27

wtf_satanis-1280x720.jpg

2 a.m.  Satanis, the Devil’s Mass (1970).  Documentary about the Church of Satan.  Does this church get tax relief?

Yes, but there is still the devil to pay.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, December 27

That's a highly recommended film for fans of unattractive nudity.

• Haha 2

Saturday, December 28

12.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Onion Pacific (1940).

Split%201968.jpg

10 p.m.  The Split (1968).  Heist film with Jim Brown, Diahann Carroll, Gene Hackman, Julie Harris, Donald Sutherland, Jack Klugman and Ernest Borgnine.

Sunday, December 29

sNZbKchmPQFqD9qlzHaleRAEHFJ.jpg

4:45 a.m.  Seven Keys to Baldpate (1929).   With Richard Dix.  There seems to be 9 different versions of Baldplate.  This one is based on the George M. Cohan play.

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2019 at 5:22 AM, Bogie56 said:

Friday, December 27

wtf_satanis-1280x720.jpg

I watched most of this, it got dull at the end when they "captured" a "Black Mass" on film.

San Francisco in the 1970s seems interesting.

The highlights were a lady who looked like QUENTIN CRISP, a tight shot of a very secretarial-type woman from the head up saying "some people think me a little strange"- and in the next shot she is totally nude with a skull over her crotch and a scene where a child who lives in a house with AN HONEST TO GOD ACTUAL ADULT LION denies hearing the lion while the lion is pounding on his chain link fence a foot behind the kid as if it were a ROAST CHICKEN JUST OUT OF REACH. 

Not altogether bad.

• Like 1

Monday, December 30

prisonerofzenda1937.87182_012820141103.j

2:30 p.m.  The Prisoner of Zenda (1937).  Great adventure film with Ronald Colman, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., David Niven, Mary Astor, Raymond Massey and Madeleine Carroll.

• Like 2