Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

On 12/25/2019 at 11:37 PM, kingrat said:

Tom, I really feel bad that I left out Dolores Gray. Too bad she didn't make more movies. On the other hand,  Ms. Allyson doesn't have the greatest number of admirers around here. The picture you posted above proves one point: June has rarely looked less attractive than in the first half of this movie. The hair and makeup are anything but flattering. One can understand why her hubby might be tempted by Joan Collins. For June at her best, both  looks and performance, I would recommend High Barbaree.

Agree about Dolores Gray.  She was always a hoot in films I've seen with her in them.  "The Opposite Sex" isn't as appealing to me as "The Women", but I still like to watch it if anything, for the scene where June Allyson slaps Joan Collins so hard that you can actually see her hand-print on Collins' face.  She also has one of her earrings go flying after said slap.  Do you remember the promo Collins did that's occasionally aired in between films on TCM about that scene?  According to Collins, Allyson didn't want to hit her hard at all, and only did it at the insistence of the director.  After the take, Collins said she had to take a couple days off from shooting because of the pain she felt!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, December 30

2:30 p.m.  The Prisoner of Zenda (1937).  Great adventure film with Ronald Colman, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., David Niven, Mary Astor, Raymond Massey and Madeleine Carroll.

Fairbanks had mixed feelings about accepting a supporting role as a villain until his father told him Rupert of Hentzau is probably one of the best villains ever created and the part is so actor proof that Rin Tin Tin could play the role and steal the show. I still think it may be Doug Jr.'s finest performance.

source.gif

• Like 2

Tuesday, December 31

thin%20man-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000

9:15 .m.  The Thin Man (1934).  Kicking off TCM’s look at the entire series.  None of which are playing in Canada.

• Sad 2

What state secrets are the governments of Canada and/or the United States trying to protect by not showing any of the "Thin Man" movies on New Year's Eve?  I feel sorry for the folks north of me.  Does this happen every time a "Thin Man" movie crops up on the TCM schedule?  I'll have to check the Canadian schedule to see what you're getting instead.  If I lived in Canada and got this station, I'd be disheartened and a little bit ticked that I couldn't watch these funny who-done-its.

OK, the afternoon on Tuesday doesn't look bad, but the evening fare is what TCM showed last year in the States (I think), with "That's Entertainment" and "That's Dancing" and all the ancillary off-shoots of it.  Well, as they say, "It's better than a poke in the eye."!  I'd still be disappointed if I were a Canuck. 

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, December 31

thin%20man-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000

9:15 .m.  The Thin Man (1934).  Kicking off TCM’s look at the entire series.  None of which are playing in Canada.

9:15 .m. ---------------  Just when IS that?   :wacko:

Sepiatone

24 minutes ago, midwestan said:

What state secrets are the governments of Canada and/or the United States trying to protect by not showing any of the "Thin Man" movies on New Year's Eve?  I feel sorry for the folks north of me.  Does this happen every time a "Thin Man" movie crops up on the TCM schedule?  I'll have to check the Canadian schedule to see what you're getting instead.  If I lived in Canada and got this station, I'd be disheartened and a little bit ticked that I couldn't watch these funny who-done-its.

OK, the afternoon on Tuesday doesn't look bad, but the evening fare is what TCM showed last year in the States (I think), with "That's Entertainment" and "That's Dancing" and all the ancillary off-shoots of it.  Well, as they say, "It's better than a poke in the eye."!  I'd still be disappointed if I were a Canuck. 

Only TCM would know the answer to this one.  They were shown on TCM Canada in the past for I have recorded them.  Perhaps another Canadian broadcaster bought the exclusive Canadian TV rights to them since then?   It is not a problem with other MGM or Warner films.   But Hal Roach films are not shown on TCM Canada.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

9:15 .m. ---------------  Just when IS that?   :wacko:

Sepiatone

a.m.

Check the schedule for the times of all the other Thin Man films.

5 hours ago, midwestan said:

What state secrets are the governments of Canada and/or the United States trying to protect by not showing any of the "Thin Man" movies on New Year's Eve? 

They're punishing Canada for sending us Justin Bieber and Celine Dion.

• Haha 1

I'm still waiting for TCM to schedule the films were Canadians play American Presidents (real or fictitious)   Let's see, there's ... Alexander Knox, Raymond Massey, Walter Huston, Bruce Greenwood, Gordon Pinsent, Donald Sutherland, William Shatner, Leslie Nielsen, Christopher Plummer and Lorne Greene.  Am I missing anyone?

• Like 1

Wednesday, January 1

35378037895_cc9d447c4c_b.jpg

8 p.m.  The Roaring Twenties (1939).  With Cagney AND Bogie!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I'm still waiting for TCM to schedule the films were Canadians play American Presidents (real or fictitious)   Let's see, there's ... Alexander Knox, Raymond Massey, Walter Huston, Bruce Greenwood, Gordon Pinsent, Donald Sutherland, William Shatner, Leslie Nielsen, Christopher Plummer and Lorne Greene.  Am I missing anyone?

ALEXANDER KNOX was CANADIAN?!!!! This surprises me because I watched WILSON when it aired a few years ago and the two things about it that I distinctly recall were:

1. It does have some GORGEOUS COLOR PHOTOGRAPHY that was years ahead of its time

and

2. ALEXANDER KNOX (as Woodrow Wilson) spoke in what struck me as THE MOST BRITISH ACCENT EVER EVER EVER, like, an episode of DOWNTON ABBEY sounded like a DUKES OF HAZZARD rerun by comparison.

Thursday, January 2

Bob Hope night.

c47860c7f-1.jpg

9:30 p.m.  Road to Utopia (1945).  This is my favourite Road picture.

• Like 3

On 12/31/2019 at 6:27 AM, Bogie56 said:

8 p.m.  The Roaring Twenties (1939).  With Cagney AND Bogie!

Not The Oklahoma Kid;)

Friday, January 3

the-whip-hand_03.jpg

4:45 p.m.  The Whip Hand (1951).  This one sounds bizarre.  A lake where fish mysteriously die and a group of former Nazis turned Commies are holed up nearby.  Nazis turned Commies?  I guess they aren’t too discerning as long as they can be bad.

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2020 at 6:17 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, January 2

Bob Hope night.

c47860c7f-1.jpg

9:30 p.m.  Road to Utopia (1945).  This is my favourite Road picture.

One of my favourite moments of the Road series is towards the end of Utopia when Bing and Bob are in a Yukon bar, posing as a pair of notorious killers. At one point, when Bob is asked what he'll have to drink, without thinking, he responds, "Oh, I'll have a lemonade." When the others around him respond in suspicious surprise at such a sissy request, Hope, suddenly recalling his guise as killer, growls, "IN A DIRTY GLASS!"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, January 3

4:45 p.m.  The Whip Hand (1951).  This one sounds bizarre.  A lake where fish mysteriously die and a group of former Nazis turned Commies are holed up nearby.  Nazis turned Commies?  I guess they aren’t too discerning as long as they can be bad.

That's the one that, after filming was done, Howard Hughes watched it and declared that Nazis were no longer relevant villains, and to change them to Communists. I saw it last year or so, and thought it was entertaining if  more than a bit silly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That's the one that, after filming was done, Howard Hughes watched it and declared that Nazis were no longer relevant villains, and to change them to Communists. I saw it last year or so, and thought it was entertaining if  more than a bit silly.

When I was browsing through the stills for the film I was impressed by the compositions.  Now whether that was just the still photographer or also the cinematographer I will have to wait and see.

I believe William Cameron Menzies was the director, which would explain the compositions.

• Thanks 1

Saturday, January 4

x480

10 a.m.  Popeye: Wimmin Is a Myskery (1940).

149154-king-for-a-day-0-230-0-345-crop.j

11:30 a.m.  King For a Day (1934).  Short subject featuring tap legend Bill Robinson.

Sunday, January 5

mar1.jpg

8 a.m.  Sally (1930).  Featuring Marilyn Miller who Maltin says was a Broadway sensation in the 20’s.  I had never heard of her.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mr6666 said:

so, I guess it IS AIRING........ :)

This one was deliciously awful! 😄

• Haha 1