Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

What's with the constant conflicts between the schedule posted online and the program guide posted on your TV?  This is a problem that's existed for years, and yet I've yet to see it corrected.

Online, here's what's listed for the wee hours tonight:
12:49 AM Greenwich Village R.F.D., 11 min.
2:45 AM Girlfriends, 88 min.

And here's what appears on my TV, which I might add is usually the correct version:
1:00 - 2:45 Before Stonewall
2:45 - 4:15 Girlfriends

But when I search for Before Stonewall on the TCM site, there's no indication of any scheduled showings.

I understand that programs can change, but why can't the online schedule reflect these changes?  It's almost come to the point that I don't feel I can trust anything about the overnight schedules posted online, which makes programming any recording kind of a mess, to say the least.  It's as if once the online schedule is posted, whoever does it just takes the rest of the month off with no forwarding address, unless some notable actor dies and there's an impromptu tribute that pre-empts the original schedule.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, January 10

Poster.jpg

12:15 p.m.  The Burning Hills (1956).  With Tab Hunter and Natalie Wood.  Maltin didn’t like it.

So, is that a recommendation FOR it?  or..............................    ;) 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

So, is that a recommendation FOR it?  or..............................    ;) 

Sepiatone

Let's say it is a film of interest.  I haven't seen it.

6 hours ago, AndyM108 said:

What's with the constant conflicts between the schedule posted online and the program guide posted on your TV?  This is a problem that's existed for years, and yet I've yet to see it corrected.

Online, here's what's listed for the wee hours tonight:
12:49 AM Greenwich Village R.F.D., 11 min.
2:45 AM Girlfriends, 88 min.

And here's what appears on my TV, which I might add is usually the correct version:
1:00 - 2:45 Before Stonewall
2:45 - 4:15 Girlfriends

But when I search for Before Stonewall on the TCM site, there's no indication of any scheduled showings.

I understand that programs can change, but why can't the online schedule reflect these changes?  It's almost come to the point that I don't feel I can trust anything about the overnight schedules posted online, which makes programming any recording kind of a mess, to say the least.  It's as if once the online schedule is posted, whoever does it just takes the rest of the month off with no forwarding address, unless some notable actor dies and there's an impromptu tribute that pre-empts the original schedule.

I'm guessing but it looks to me that if you were to combine the two examples above that you would get the correct line up.  

BTW, welcome back!

Saturday, January 11

17.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Nurse Mates (1940).

MV5BZmMwY2JmYzAtZTkwNi00ZmM2LThmM2ItZTUw

noon.  Gentleman’s Agreement (1947).  Multi-Oscar winning Eliz Kazan picture.  Probably lacks the punch it had upon its original release.

Well, with the recent seeming increase in anti-semitism it might get some life back in that punch.  

As for the conflict between the online schedule and what's shown on the cable (or whichever) on screen guide, I usually check the onscreen guide for what's coming up that particular day.  But too, there's occasional mess-ups.  

Sepiatone

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, January 11

17.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Nurse Mates (1940).

MV5BZmMwY2JmYzAtZTkwNi00ZmM2LThmM2ItZTUw

noon.  Gentleman’s Agreement (1947).  Multi-Oscar winning Eliz Kazan picture.  Probably lacks the punch it had upon its original release.

Bogie, I find Gentleman's Agreement pretty interesting, even if towns like Darien, CT no longer have exclusionary policies against Jews. Perhaps because it is based on a novel by a woman (Laura Z. Hobson), this film has four strong and complex female characters. I love how Gregory Peck is attracted to the sexier and more sophisticated (and more brittle) Celeste Holm, but ultimately feels more comfortable with the slightly prudish Dorothy McGuire, which makes sense given the way his mother (Anne Revere, in a great performance) tries to shape his moral responses. June Havoc is also quite interesting as the secretary who changes her Jewish name. The moral issue the film shows, but doesn't discuss, is whether Peck does wrong in how his masquerade as being Jewish affects his little boy.

• Like 1

Sunday, January 12

Late-Show-Bill-Macy-1977+%25282%2529.JPG

10: 15 p.m.  The Late Show (1977).  Part of the Art Carney night.  But Lily Tomlin and the recently departed Bill Macy (1922-2019) are also very good.

gregor-dorfmeister-autor-des-romans-die-

4 a.m.  The Bridge (1959).  Terrific WWII picture from German director Berhard Wicki.  This picture probably landed him the assignment of the German sections of The Longest Day (1962).  And I would add that the ending of Saving Private Ryan (1998) owes something to this film.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Monday, January 13

9ff97a8b4ea0d40d71bf84660c929b09.jpg

8 p.m.  The Search (1948).   Good Fred Zinnemann film with Montgomery Clift but little Ivan Jandl steals the film.  Replaced in Canada with Operation Eichmann (1961) with Werner Klemperer as Eichmann.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, January 13

8 p.m.  The Search (1948).   Good Fred Zinnemann film with Montgomery Clift but little Ivan Jandl steals the film.  Replaced in Canada with Operation Eichmann (1961) with Werner Klemperer as Eichmann.

For those who have not seen Operation Eichmann,  just be forewarned that there are several disturbing scenes of the concentration camps, with actual footage.

I've seen a lot of concentration camp footage over the years, so no "prob".  I also recall seeing several days of the televised Eichmann trial as a kid.  At the time, I had no idea the trial was taped and shown here a day later.  In i961, the general public wasn't that aware of video tape.    But, as I'm not in Canada, I watched GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT instead.

Sepiatone

On 1/11/2020 at 6:48 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, January 12

10: 15 p.m.  The Late Show (1977).  Part of the Art Carney night.  But Lily Tomlin and the recently departed Bill Macy (1922-2019) are also very good.

this movie has been worked into the TCM schedule with some regularity since it showed up for the first time (at least in a while) a year or so ago.

i apologize if i am remembering wrong.

One thing about it I do remember is: I went in expecting to really like it and, wow- I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated it.

Maybe it was the mood I was in- but I am having a hard time remembering the last time I disliked a movie more than this.

in fact, as I recall, I quit watching with not much time left on the clock and also, I think, started a thread specifically about it, and even (again, as I recall) referred to it in about as harsh a term as one can use for a movie.

just remembering out loud here.

EDITED TO ADD: The actors were fine, but LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE THING ELSE about the movie I disliked.

Tuesday, January 14

Patrica Neal SOTM

breakingpoint.png

11:15 p.m.  The Breaking Point (1950).  With Patrica Neal, John Garfield.  Wallace Ford is also a stand out.

Wednesday, January 15

The-Big-Sky-19521.jpg

9:45 a.m.  The Big Sky (1952).  Howard Hawks film with Kirk Douglas.  Arthur Hunnicutt is amusing as usual.

• Like 1

Hey, has anyone else noticed that when searching for an image on google the "copy image address" option has disappeared on a majority of their photos?

Thursday, January 16

18830912.jpg

8 p.m.  New York, New York (1977).  This is an underrated Scorsese IMO.

Friday, January 17/18

MV5BMTE0NDZmMDgtZWI0Ni00ZWQyLTk1YmMtZWU2

4 a.m.  It's Alive (1974).  This sounds like it should be hilarious …”A couple's use of an experimental fertility drug produces a monstrous infant.”  But it is directed by Larry Cohen and probably misses the mark.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

4 a.m.  It's Alive (1974).  This sounds like it should be hilarious …”A couple's use of an experimental fertility drug produces a monstrous infant.”  But it is directed by Larry Cohen and probably misses the mark.

I can't wait for this one!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, January 16

18830912.jpg

8 p.m.  New York, New York (1977).  This is an underrated Scorsese IMO.

OK, but in MY HO,  it was over-hyped.   Never really kept my interest.  

Sepiatone

SAG LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

TCM  " We’re celebrating Robert De Niro’s well-deserved SAG Life Achievement Award tonight ...."

8pm ET: New York, New York (1977)

11pm ET: Mean Streets (1973) **

1am ET: True Confessions (1981) **

3am ET: The Gang that Couldn’t Shoot Straight (1971)
=========================

** are my favs  :)
  • Thanks 1

Anyone catch THIS last night?  :unsure:

=====================================================

W ed., 1-15 for                                      The Roaring 20's...........

10:15 PM (ET)
B/W - 229 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  Once Upon a Time in America takes place in New York City, following a group of Jewish gangsters over the course of five decades: from their childhood, through their exploits during Prohibition and ending with their reunion later in life. They are bound by not only the criminal activities in which they orchestrate and take part in together, but by fierce loyalty and friendship to one another - a bond that is later tested ........

DirSergio Leone

Cast:  Robert De Niro (Noodles), James Woods (Max), Elizabeth McGovern (Deborah), Treat Williams (Jimmy O'Donnell), Tuesday Weld (Carol), Burt Young (Joe), Joe Pesci (Frankie), Danny Aiello (Police Chief Aiello) and William Forsythe   Rusty Jacobs , Mike Gendel , Alexander Godfrey .

"..... The film received glowing reviews from critics and was well-received by audiences at the festival, who gave the film an enthusiastic 15-minute standing ovation.

Unfortunately, American audiences did not see this original version of Leone's film, but instead a drastically edited 139-minute cut carried out by The Ladd Company (the American distributors for the film), which not only removed 90 minutes, but also inexplicably and recklessly took artistic license by rearranging scenes into chronological order--all without Leone's consent and input. The result was devastating, leading to a disastrous box office turnout, with critics panning what amounted to a hollow shell of Leone's masterwork and what would be the director's last film. As Roger Ebert quipped, after seeing both the Cannes release (known as the "European Cut") and the hacked-up American version, "This was a murdered movie..."

see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/420378/Once-Upon-A-Time-In-America/articles.html

someone else might have brought this up, but it bugs me that- since the redesign- you cannot click on the schedule section of this site directly from the messageboards section of this site. For me, at least, I have to type in "tcm schedule" in my toolbar.

• Sad 1