Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

tonight at 8:00, I remember this being included in a British film critic's selection of the 100 BEST FILMS OF THE 20TH CENTURY.

Synopsis:
DirAlexander Mackendrick CastJoan Greenwood ,

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Alexander Mackendrick. Basil Radford, Joan Greenwood, James Robertson Justice, Jean Cadell, Gordon Jackson, Wylie Watson, John Gregson. Narrated by Finlay Currie. Hilarious, fast-paced comedy about WW2 ship sinking while loaded with whiskey and the antics of local Scottish islanders thirsting for its cargo. A solid hit. Scripted by Compton Mackenzie, the author of the novel, who has a small role as Captain Buncher. British title: WHISKY GALORE! Followed by MAD LITTLE ISLAND.

• Like 2

Sunday, January 19/20

MV5BYzdjMWRmMDEtNTE4NC00YTdmLThhYTItZGI4

12:30 a.m.  Harold Lloyd short subjects starting with Next Aisle Over (1919).  The Canadian listings appear to have a different order?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, January 19/20

MV5BYzdjMWRmMDEtNTE4NC00YTdmLThhYTItZGI4

12:30 a.m.  Harold Lloyd short subjects starting with Next Aisle Over (1919).  The Canadian listings appear to have a different order?

Nice movie poster!

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

Nice movie poster!

I was thinking the exact same thing. I love the way silent film posters Tend to be artistic renderings of a single scene on the full sheet, as opposed to a montage of scenes and/or characters from the film.

• Like 1

Monday, January 20

*NB:  I'm in England for a couple of months and over here the times do not appear on the schedule.  So for the next while if interested you may have to double check the times that I am posting.

When the schedule was originally announced The Member of the Wedding (1953) with Julie Harris was on at 8 p.m.  Now it appears to be replaced with ...

nothingbutaman.jpg

Nothing But a Man (1964) with Ivan Dixon, Abbey Lincoln and Julius Harris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tuesday, January 21

Patricia Neal SOTM.

A-Face-6.jpg?resize=816,460&ssl=1

8 p.m.  A Face in the Crowd (1957).   Imagine Patrica Neal as the producer of The Apprentice.

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2020 at 1:57 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, January 20

*NB:  I'm in England for a couple of months and over here the times do not appear on the schedule.  So for the next while if interested you may have to double check the times that I am posting

Nothing But a Man (1964) with Ivan Dixon, Abbey Lincoln and Julius Harris.

In his very interesting book ALTERNATE OSCARS, author Danny Peary thought Dixon Deserved a best actor nomination for his role in this movie.

ps- Does this mean you’re going to be there for Brexit? If so please give us live updates, in fact start a whole thread about it if you want to.

Brexit day is going to be as exciting as the Y2K bug turned out to be.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Fedya said:

Brexit day is going to be as exciting as the Y2K bug turned out to be.

:D  You know, a BROTHER IN LAW of mine just finally used up all the bottled water he hoarded before the "catastrophe" hit.  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:D  You know, a BROTHER IN LAW of mine just finally used up all the bottled water he hoarded before the "catastrophe" hit.  :D 

Sepiatone

Y3K3 is coming up.

• Haha 2

Wednesday, January 22

Conrad Veidt day.

connie3.JPG

6 a.m.  Nazi Agent (1942).  Veidt rises above the material with a solid performance playing twin brothers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Nothing But A Man" one of my favorite films, was shown at UCLA Film School on Saturday, along with "The Cool World".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, January 23

Here we go with the old switcheroo …

tumblr_neui39Ap0d1qbhnrvo1_500.png

Body and Soul (1947).  Robert Rossen film with John Garfield.  That looks like James Wong Howe on roller skates!

Replaced in Canada with Show Boat (1936).

• Like 1

This is probably one time where Canada wins out. I think of the two, I'd rather watch Show Boat.

11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, January 23

Here we go with the old switcheroo …

tumblr_neui39Ap0d1qbhnrvo1_500.png

Body and Soul (1947).  Robert Rossen film with John Garfield.  That looks like James Wong Howe on roller skates!

Replaced in Canada with Show Boat (1936).

I've been wanting to see this John Garfield movie for a long time! I also love boxing movies.  I am so glad that it didn't get removed from the schedule.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned tonight's lineup of Incendiary Blonde at 8:00 PM followed by Bugsy Malone at 10:00 PM.  The latter is so much silly fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friday, January 24

MV5BOTFkNTc0ODgtYzYyYi00NjY0LWFkNTItMGE3

8 p.m.  The Wrath of God (1972).  I haven’t seen this Mitchum western.

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, January 24

I haven't seen this film either. With that title and that outfit that Mitchum is wearing I hope he isn't playing a minister in this film.

Seeing him playing the Preacher in Night of the Hunter was the closet he ever came to this kind of role, but I wouldn't exactly call Mitch a man of God in that film.

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, January 24

This is also Rita Hayworth's last film.  The affects of her Alzheimer's was severely affecting her ability to remember her lines at this point and she struggled completing  this film. 

On 1/19/2020 at 10:56 PM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, January 21

Patricia Neal SOTM.

A-Face-6.jpg?resize=816,460&ssl=1

8 p.m.  A Face in the Crowd (1957).   Imagine Patrica Neal as the producer of The Apprentice.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:49 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

In his very interesting book ALTERNATE OSCARS, author Danny Peary thought Dixon Deserved a best actor nomination for his role in this movie.

ps- Does this mean you’re going to be there for Brexit? If so please give us live updates, in fact start a whole thread about it if you want to.

Danny Peary also says that Andy Griffith should have won the Best Actor Oscar for "A Face In The Crowd", I agree!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, johnpressman said:

Danny Peary also says that Andy Griffith should have won the Best Actor Oscar for "A Face In The Crowd", I agree!

I agree too! I love A Face in the Crowd and I thought that Andy Griffith  was fantastic in this film.  I do love The Andy Griffith Show, but I found Griffith's performance in 'Crowd' so fascinating.  The film is also very prescient and timely.   We basically have a Lonesome Rhodes in power right  now, but without any of the charm.

I keep saying that 'Crowd' would make a great double feature with Network.  I own both films.  One night, I should just do it and watch this double feature. Network is basically Lonesome Rhodes' future 20 years later. 

20 minutes ago, johnpressman said:

[IN HIS BOOK "ALTERNATE OSCARS] Danny Peary also says that Andy Griffith should have won the Best Actor Oscar for "A Face In The Crowd", I agree!

I learned more about film from ALTERNATE OSCARS than maybe any other book I have ever read. I believe PEARY is still alive and I would love to see what updates he would make to the book, which came out waaaay back in 1991.

(I still have a copy, btw, which I had to order from amazon because my original broke at the spine and fell apart.)

0385303327.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I learned more about film from ALTERNATE OSCARS than maybe any other book I have ever read. I believe PEARY is still alive and I would love to see what updates he would make to the book, which came out waaaay back in 1991.

(I still have a copy, btw, which I had to order from amazon because my original broke at the spine and fell apart.)

0385303327.jpg

I have the book to.  If he updated it he would no doubt have to change the title as the Academy won't let anyone near the trademarked names or statue any longer.