Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

10 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I have the book to.  If he updated it he would no doubt have to change the title as the Academy won't let anyone near the trademarked names or statue any longer.

Interesting.  How many films out there actually feature the Oscars or an Oscar? The only one I can think of right now is Susan Slept Here with Dick Powell's character's Oscar narrating the film!

21 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I have the [book ALTERNATE OSCARS].  If he updated it he would no doubt have to change the title as the Academy won't let anyone near the trademarked names or statue any longer.

I had not thought about that! Maybe that is why there has been no sequel.

16 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Interesting.  How many films out there actually feature the Oscars or an Oscar? The only one I can think of right now is Susan Slept Here with Dick Powell's character's Oscar narrating the film!

The 37 and 54 versions of A STAR IS BORN, the 1966 movie THE OSCAR, Bette Davis used one of her best actress Oscars as a prop in  THE STAR; Goldie Hawn’s supporting actress statuette makes a cameo in THE FIRST WIVES CLUB (Bette Midler makes a joke that it’s inscribed with  “I beat Meryl” ) And I believe several show up in the background of a producer’s office in THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL 

ETA- And how could I forget Rachel Maren’s best actress performance as THE QUEEN OF THE NIGHT from THE BODYGUARD?!?!

Also IN & OUT (1997) Whose whole premise is jumpstarted by an Academy award speech.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The 37 and 54 versions of A STAR IS BORN, the 1966 movie THE OSCAR, Bette Davis used one of her best actress Oscars as a prop in  THE STAR; Goldie Hawn’s supporting actress statuette makes a cameo in THE FIRST WIVES CLUB (Bette Midler makes a joke that it’s inscribed with  “I beat Meryl” ) And I believe several show up in the background of a producer’s office in THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL 

ETA- And how could I forget Rachel Maren’s best actress performance as THE QUEEN OF THE NIGHT from THE BODYGUARD?!?!

Also IN & OUT (1997) Whose whole premise is jumpstarted by an Academy award speech.

Sure but this policing is a relatively new phenomenon.  I'm not saying that reference or visual of Oscars cannot be used but it would have to be by permission.  You may notice the small R behind the words Academy Award now which refers to registered trademark.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

And let us not forget this one here, Doc!...

whats-cookin-doc.jpg

(...btw, I also seem to recall an old cartoon short which at one point shows a caricature Jack Benny attempting to get an Oscar that's inside one of those old toy claw grabbing arcade game machines)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...btw, I also seem to recall an old cartoon short which at one point shows a caricature Jack Benny attempting to get an Oscar that's inside one of those old toy claw grabbing arcade game machines)  

Maybe it was Ronald Colman's. It went missing, you know. 😉

(Sorry, that's an inside joke for those familiar with Benny's radio show, folks).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And let us not forget this one here, Doc!...

whats-cookin-doc.jpg

I still recall how peeved BUGS was at losing to JIMMY CAGNEY!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Sure but this policing is a relatively new phenomenon.  I'm not saying that reference or visual of Oscars cannot be used but it would have to be by permission.  You may notice the small R behind the words Academy Award now which refers to registered trademark.

Somehow, I don't think they'd be too keen signing off on a book whose whole premise is that they are wrong about 98% of the time.  (Correct though that premise may be!)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

8 p.m.  The Wrath of God (1972).  I haven’t seen this Mitchum western.

star-trek-II-the-wrath-of-khan-william-s

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, January 24

MV5BOTFkNTc0ODgtYzYyYi00NjY0LWFkNTItMGE3

8 p.m.  The Wrath of God (1972).  I haven’t seen this Mitchum western.

I just watched this one for the first time. It's not without fun for action fans and Mitchum is pretty loosey goosey as a priest who carries a machine gun. Silly movie but fun if you're in the right mood for it. But it's sad to see Rita Hayworth. She looks like she's from another world.

Saturday, January 25

10.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Doing Impossikible Stunts (1940).

hqdefault.jpg

midnight.  Try and Get Me (1950).  Cy Endfield film with Frank Lovejoy, Kathleen Ryan, Richard Carlson and Lloyd Bridges.  Maltin rates this noir quite high.  Repeats Sunday at 10 a.m.

• Thanks 1

Friday, Jan 24.  Not a bad line-up beginning with some Jane Fondas at 11:45  Then a couple of Robert Mitchum's.  The best by far is Mitchum's Farewell, My Lovely.  Boys Night Out is a really good comedy from the 60's style.

Mitchum's The Wrath of God sounds familiar, but I don't remember it so need to watch it again.

Saturday morning: Night Waitress is on at 8:30 and is one of the 60 minute mysteries that TCM is now showing on Saturday mornings.  Have seen a couple of nice little movies.

I haven't seen Farewell, My Lovely since it came out. Thanks for the heads up!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, January 25

hqdefault.jpg

midnight.  Try and Get Me (1950).  Cy Endfield film with Frank Lovejoy, Kathleen Ryan, Richard Carlson and Lloyd Bridges.  Maltin rates this noir quite high.  Repeats Sunday at 10 a.m.

Try and Get Me is the Noir Alley presentation and is followed by a couple more crime movies:  The Underworld Story and Hell Drivers on Friday Night.  Midnight till 6:00 AM.  Although the movies are about 90, 90 and 100 minutes per TCM site.

6 hours ago, TheCid said:

Try and Get Me is the Noir Alley presentation and is followed by a couple more crime movies:  The Underworld Story and Hell Drivers on Friday Night.  Midnight till 6:00 AM.  Although the movies are about 90, 90 and 100 minutes per TCM site.

Cy Enfield (sometimes billed as Endfield), who later made Zulu,  is a talented director. Try and Get Me is good, and Hell Drivers is a must for Stanley Baker fans. I haven't seen The Underworld Story, but look forward to it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kingrat said:

Cy Enfield (sometimes billed as Endfield), who later made Zulu,  is a talented director. Try and Get Me is good, and Hell Drivers is a must for Stanley Baker fans. I haven't seen The Underworld Story, but look forward to it.

Michael Caine credits Enfield for kickstarting his film career with Zulu.   He said that he doubted that any English director would have cast a Cockney in the part of the posh Lt Gonville Bromhead (what a name!) but American Enfield had no problems giving him a shot.

• Thanks 1

Sunday, January 26/27

1*07NuaT7Ds4D5eaufbUMVnA.png

4 a.m.  Come and See (1985).  Excellent Russian WWII film.  Highly recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Hibi said:

I haven't seen Farewell, My Lovely since it came out. Thanks for the heads up!

Watching it on Hulu right now!

I’m thrilled this film is finally showing up on TCM, it deserves to be worked into regular rotation.

• Like 1

January 26 at 2 AM is Night Porter. I definitely recommend this one.

1IvrPDM49sZl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

January 26 at 2 AM is Night Porter. I definitely recommend this one.

1IvrPDM49sZl.jpg

Damn, that pic alone is enough of a recommendation!

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, January 26/27

1*07NuaT7Ds4D5eaufbUMVnA.png

4 a.m.  Come and See (1985).  Excellent Russian WWII film.  Highly recommended.

Does the meerkat get top billing?

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Does the meerkat get top billing?

The fictional German general is based off of the real Oskar Dirlewanger who had a pet monkey I believe. 

• Thanks 1

Monday, January 27

81HpC61QG5L._SY445_.jpg

5 a.m.  Night and Fog (1955).  Extraordinary short subject on the holocaust by Alain Resnais.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1