Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, January 27

81HpC61QG5L._SY445_.jpg

5 a.m.  Night and Fog (1955).  Extraordinary short subject on the holocaust by Alain Resnais.

I first saw this film in 9th grade history class. I sat there watching in the darkened room with my palms sweating and feeling nauseated. Most of my classmates were passing notes and whispering to each other and my teacher (whom I liked more than all of my other teachers that year) was at her desk correcting exams, completely ignoring the fact that most of her class was using this time as a social event. I was very angry with her that day. I felt she did a great injustice to anyone who was sacrificed or who sacrificed during the holocaust.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, January 28

5:30 p.m.  The Yearling (1946).  Gregory Peck plays the ideal father in this film about a boy and his pet deer.

Lovely film with some truly beautiful photography.

It reminds me of the time I was tramping through some woods and came across a doe with a fawn feeding off her. Just feet away stood a second fawn watching them. It was amazing that they allowed me to be so close, perhaps 100 feet (I guess they didn't hear me). I watched them transfixed, realizing at the time that this was a unique moment for me, feeling privileged to share it with the three animals. I stood perfectly still for about three minutes watching, just me, three deer and about a thousand mosquitoes landing on me. Finally I couldn't stand it any longer and I took a slap at the blood suckers. The deer were gone in five seconds but the mosquitoes remained. Still, for about three minutes, I shared that moment with those deer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/25/2020 at 7:07 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Watching it on Hulu right now!

I’m thrilled this film is finally showing up on TCM, it deserves to be worked into regular rotation.

YES! I liked it better than the 40s version.

On 1/25/2020 at 2:46 PM, Gershwin fan said:

January 26 at 2 AM is Night Porter. I definitely recommend this one.

1IvrPDM49sZl.jpg

I recorded it. Hope it's on there!

Saturday, February 1/2

What, no Popeye?  I’m not a fan of the Oscar programming but here goes.

EqiygTS3YqidG_uMkUrJSTSKLf4W0YAaLfZoTH_R

4:30 a.m.  The Candidate (1972).  Political campaign film by Michael Ritchie.  With Robert Redford, Melvyn Douglas and a very good Peter Boyle.

Edited by Bogie56
thanks for the correction! - a brain hiccup
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

tomorrow at 8:00 pm.

DR ZHIVAGO.

wow.

Yeah, it's Oscar month! I have my pile of books to read. Zzzzzzzzzzz.

• Thanks 1
On 1/26/2020 at 9:04 AM, sagebrush said:

my teacher (whom I liked more than all of my other teachers that year) was at her desk correcting exams, completely ignoring the fact that most of her class was using this time as a social event. I was very angry with her that day.

So you didn't make out during Schindler's List either?

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

(wasn't on schedule as of Today.......... :unsure:

Tonight: a post-apocalyptic double premiere beginning with DEATHSPORT (1978) at 2:00 am east / 11:00 pm west

followed by CHERRY 2000 (1987) at 3:30 am east / 12:30 pm west!

Deathsport is the inferior follow-up to Death Race 2000 (1974). It's a fairly humdrum sci-fi exploitation flick indicative of the late 70's stunt-heavy trend. It does feature David Carradine, B-movie queen Claudia Jennings, and creepy Richard Lynch, so there's that.

MV5BZmM0Y2ZmMjYtYzAxNS00YjkxLTlkZGItMGY2

Cherry 2000 used to show up on HBO a lot in the 80's. Melanie Griffith co-stars, before she became a big-name star thanks to Working Girl the following year. Male lead David Andrews showed up in a lot of TV and movies, but never quite cracked the big time. The movie's not awful, and it does have a minor cult following, but I wouldn't rank it as a favorite myself. Appearances by Larry Fishburne, Harry Carey Jr., Brion James, and Ben Johnson are appreciated. 

cherrry8.jpg?itok=EMMyJrUy

• Thanks 1
Just now, LawrenceA said:

Deathsport is the inferior follow-up to Death Race 2000 (1974). It's a fairly humdrum car-crash exploitation flick indicative of the late 70's trend. It does feature David Carradine, B-movie queen Claudia Jennings, and creepy Richard Lynch, so there's that.

MV5BZmM0Y2ZmMjYtYzAxNS00YjkxLTlkZGItMGY2

Cherry 2000 used to show up on HBO a lot in the 80's. Melanie Griffith co-stars, before she became a big-name star thanks to Working Girl the following year. Male lead David Andrews showed up in a lot of TV and movies, but never quite cracked the big time. The movie's not awful, and it does have a minor cult following, but I wouldn't rank it as a favorite myself. Appearances by Larry Fishburne, Harry Carey Jr., Brion James, and Ben Johnson are appreciated. 

I thought that was Molly Ringwald at first and was confused that I didn't remember that film.

I give Oscar Month a hard time, but MONDAY NIGHT AT 10:00 PM- a marvelous PARAMOUNT film of the 40's-

1a5a4d2c583ac3b16117a701990a004b.jpg

HOLD BACK THE DAWN which features terrific performances by OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND, CHARLES BOYER and PAULETTE GODDARD and a marvelously clever META OPENING which features cameos by ALAN LADD and VERONICA LAKE as themselves shooting I WANTED WINGS on the PARAMOUNT LOT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I saw it many years ago and watched it a couple of times.  Still remember it.  Fairly entertaining and sometimes comical.  I still see it listed from time to time on some channels, but not sure which ones.

9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, February 3

8 p.m.  Bus Stop (1956).  I love Monroe in this.  A brave performance.

It's been a few years since I first saw BUS STOP on TCM, but I recall thinking that- along with THE MISFITS and GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES- BUS STOP is a rare 50/50 split for MARILYN wherein she is a GENUINE CO-LEAD.

DON MURRAY- who got a slightly curious SUPPORTING ACTOR NOMINATION although he is in over 90% of the movie- is ELECTRIC.

• Like 1