Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

If you like Don Murray, please watch "The Bachelor Party" Monday at 3:15 PST.  I regard this movie as a complement to "Marty".  Paddy Chayefsky wrote and Delbert Mann directed both films.  Realistic and moving account about life, guys and marriage with Murray, Jack Warden,  E.G. marshall, Larry Blyden and with Carolyn Jones as a Greenwich Village "beatnik" gal.

Last year I went to a screening at UCLA  Film Center of "The Bachelor Party" with Don Murray in attendance.  Still sharp and youthful at 90 years of age!  He told the audience that after "Bus Stop" he was offered several roles in Westerns. Being a native NYer, he wanted to do something different and took the role in "The Bachelor Party" for less money instead.

Not to be confused with the 1984 Tom Hanks ribald comedy "Bachelor Party"!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday February 4

Dkq74LBU4AAIn27.jpg

6 p.m.  None But the Lonely Heart (1944).  

• Like 2

Wednesday, February 5

Fred MacMurray was so good at playing a weasel …

fred-macmurray-in-the-caine-mutiny.jpg

5:45 p.m.  The Caine Mutiny (1954).

fred+macmurray+the+apartment+1960+horn+r

8 p.m.  The Apartment (1960).

• Like 2

The Caine Mutiny is just a fine kick-a** movie.  Great performances all the way around.  Loved Jose Ferrer in this.

Thursday, February 6/7

fPEFOHdbynAAvngoSHApAvdz264.jpg

5:30 a.m.  None Shall Escape (1944).   With Marsha Hunt and Alexander Knox.  I haven’t seen this one.

• Thanks 2

Friday, February 7

Two of Zero Mostel’s finest …

XimwAmeSQt1pRYWyt6L9qJNr7QtxH4AXXqsNeHOH

11:45 a.m.  The Front (1976).

MV5BZDI2ZjZkMDctNjNlOS00MzdkLTkwYWQtOGY1

1:30 a.m.  A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966).

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 12:19 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, February 6/7

fPEFOHdbynAAvngoSHApAvdz264.jpg

5:30 a.m.  None Shall Escape (1944).   With Marsha Hunt and Alexander Knox.  I haven’t seen this one.

Its REALLY GOOD! 
I’ll see if I can dig up my review of it...

Forum has a great Sondheim score too.

• Like 1

i did a search for NONE SHALL ESCAPE and KINGRAT does a much better job than me selling this one:

(copied and pasted his review- LHF)

•  

None Shall Escape (1944) has been restored by Sony and was shown to considerable acclaim at the recent TCM festival. No one I talked to had even heard of the film, let alone seen it. It's like a mini version of Judgment at Nuremberg, but made before the war was over. A court with representatives for various Allied nations is  trying a Nazi officer named Wilhelm Grimm (Alexander Knox) for crimes he committed in Poland. Testimony of the witnesses leads to flashbacks to the events described.

As more people in 1944 would have known, compared with moviegoers today, some of what is now Poland was part of Germany before WWI. Grimm was a schoolteacher who went off to serve in the German army during WWI. After the war he returns, disillusioned and bitter, to the town in what is now an independent Poland. His fiancee (Marsha Hunt) comes to see that he is no longer the man he was, and she breaks the engagement. Circumstances cause him to leave town, and he becomes increasingly enamored of Nazi beliefs. When Germany invades Poland in 1939, he returns to be the officer in charge of the town.

This must have been one of the first Hollywood films to show the Jews being rounded up and loaded into railway cars to be sent to a concentration camp. A subplot involving Grimm's brother in Germany shows the process by which the brother and his wife try to argue Wilhelm out of his beliefs, then become terrified as the Nazis gain power and Wilhelm gains influence over his young nephew.

Although I knew only four of the actors--Alexander Knox, Marsha Hunt, Henry Travers (as the local priest, a figure of moral authority), and Ruth Nelson (as the sister-in-law)--the film is well acted, and it makes good use of limited means: a courtroom, a small town, and interiors. Andre de Toth uses more camera movement than is common in most courtroom scenes, and to good effect. Knox makes a very chilling Nazi, and in the same year that he played Woodrow Wilson. Marsha Hunt is equally good as the pretty young teacher engaged to him and the gray-haired woman she has become twenty years later when he returns.

Marsha Hunt, now 100, was in attendance at the festival. Although she needed help to walk, she looked great for her age and spoke well if slowly. She said she always enjoyed playing characters who were different from her. Although she never met Harry Cohn and heard all the stories about him, she praised him for being a staunch anti-Nazi and for making None Shall Escape and Address Unknown (another anti-Nazi film unknown to me). She and Alexander Knox became friends, and after she went to England, Knox and his wife hosted Hunt and her husband. Although Marsha Hunt did not specifically address the blacklist on this occasion, she, Knox, and Ruth Nelson were all blacklisted, and Lester Cole, who has the main writing credit, was one of the Hollywood Ten. The last shot of the film, by the way, shows the flags of various Allied nations, including the Soviet Union.

On a more personal note, she said that Andre de Toth's nickname was "Bondi" and that he was irresistible to women. "I tried and failed," she said.

Now that None Shall Escape has been handsomely restored, I hope it will find its way to DVD, to TCM, and to other film festivals. It isn't just a film of considerable historical interest, it's a well-made film that holds up very well.

• Thanks 2

ONLY THING I'LL add to what he wrote is that I really came to respect MARSHA HUNT on seeing NONE SHALL ESCAPE

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

Forum has a great Sondheim score too.

I thought "Isn't She Lovely" would be a fitting tune for a Donald Trump Kim Jong-un montage.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWZoKfPlGsPB7lPtc1Ahi

President Donald J. Trump points out a piece of grass to Kim Jung-on.

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, February 7

MV5BZDI2ZjZkMDctNjNlOS00MzdkLTkwYWQtOGY1

1:30 a.m.  A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966).

Been waiting for TCM to replay this one. The reprise of Lovely is even better than the first one and I still listen to the soundtrack regularly.

Saturday, February 8

paul-heinreid-and-bette-davis-now-voyage

9:30 a.m.  Now, Voyager (1942).  Classic Bette.

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, February 8

Great movie.

Probably Bette at her most vulnerable and most sympathetic best.

• Like 1

Sunday, February 9

tumblr_inline_p7i08qsfTb1qb5ju2_500.jpg

1:30 a.m.  Julius Caesar (1953).  Sheridan Morley’s biography of John Gielgud recounts his story of watching the rushes and then being astounded by James Mason stealing every scene without much apparent effort.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, February 9

tumblr_inline_p7i08qsfTb1qb5ju2_500.jpg

1:30 a.m.  Julius Caesar (1953).  Sheridan Morley’s biography of John Gielgud recounts his story of watching the rushes and then being astounded by James Mason stealing every scene without much apparent effort.

James Mason is definitely the best thing about Julius Caesar, though I wouldn't sell the rest of the cast short.

I mean, even Brando as Marc Anthony was certainly watchable.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:56 PM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, February 8

The most drastically unrealistic personality change in the history of the movies. The concept of suspension of disbelief is taken to the nth degree. It doesn't spoil the movie though. Making allowances for Hollywood movies is a matter of course.

4 hours ago, laffite said:

The most drastically unrealistic personality change in the history of the movies. The concept of suspension of disbelief is taken to the nth degree. It doesn't spoil the movie though. Making allowances for Hollywood movies is a matter of course.

It's also a bit funny that she's supposed to be frumpy and ugly just because she's wearing glasses and schoolmarm clothing.

Monday, February 10

203169__54592.1542707597.500.500.jpg?c=2

9:45 p.m.  True Grit (1969).  John Wayne’s Oscar winning performance.  Who would know that he would be much better in The Shootist (1976) for which Oscar ignored.

8 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

It's also a bit funny that she's supposed to be frumpy and ugly just because she's wearing glasses and schoolmarm clothing.

13 hours ago, laffite said:

I never thought it was that unreasonable of a change.  It's always resonated with me because I went through a similar transformation when I was 32, losing 80 pounds and changing my personality.  Not quite as dramatic a turnaround as Charlotte Vale's, but it still was a change significant enough that people didn't recognize me.  I had moved overseas for 9 months.  Upon returning home, people weren't sure it was me.   Even today, 25 years later, when I show people the "before" pictures, if they didn't know me from that time, they are usually unable to find me in a group picture (just like in the film).

Tuesday, February 11

01_Grapes+of+Wrath,+The-Stoney+Point.jpg

6:15 a.m.  The Grapes of Wrath (1940).  Made when John Ford was still a liberal.  Joseph McBride’s Searching For John Ford is a great biography.  One of the best film biographies that I have read.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2020 at 12:18 PM, laffite said:

Not so surprising, if you have a good therapist and some eyebrow shavers!

1 minute ago, Swithin said:

Not so surprising, if you have a good therapist and some eyebrow shavers!

Yeah, and come to think of it Swithin, weren't those the very same eyebrows that Donna Reed sported when Jimmy Stewart was never born in that Christmas flick? ;)

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, February 11

6:15 a.m.  The Grapes of Wrath (1940).  Made when John Ford was still a liberal.  Joseph McBride’s Searching For John Ford is a great biography.  One of the best film biographies that I have read.

I get the feeling that, as with JOHN HUSTON, the LESS I KNOW ABOUT JOHN FORD, the better. He made some terrific, timeless and very honest movies, but in real life...I think he was very likely a horrible, horrible person.

OSCAR MONTH INSISTS ON CONTINUING.

If anyone wants to check out one of the LEAST IMPRESSIVE PERFORMANCES to ever garner a lead nomination for acting, MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION (1954) is on this morning.

Boy, ROCK sure looks comfortable in this publicity shot, huh?

1954-MagnificentObsession_wRockHudson-sc

• Haha 1